• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuGalz

Meh, I want smaller phones. 4.2-4.5" screen with top specs. It's going to be sad next year when all the flagship phones are 5" or greater. It may actually make me consider iOS the year after if the size stays that big, assuming map on iOS will be relatively usable by then lol.

rc213

Definitely working for me. I can see files 'uploading' instantly from some albums, but dragging on for more obscure or unpopular tracks (why do I have to slowly upload my limited collection of Christan Folk Rock music? :D)

Match appears to be working in the U.S.A, I just updated MusicManager and ran it for the first time a month and a half. Been running for 10 minutes and already up to 512 songs uploaded and it jumps by 20-50 every other minute.

The Galaxy S4 will probably be the same size as the S3. They'll just find a way to stretch the screen on the same-ish form factor. I mean it's already 4.8 inches. 4.99 isn't that much more. They should figure out a way to do it while decreasing the phone size, now that would be impressive.

Also if they have gall to continue using cheap plastic for it I'll personally hit up their HQ and bitch slap someone.

The Galaxy S4 will probably be the same size as the S3. They'll just find a way to stretch the screen on the same-ish form factor. I mean it's already 4.8 inches. 4.99 isn't that much more. They should figure out a way to do it while decreasing the phone size, now that would be impressive.

Also if they have gall to continue using cheap plastic for it I'll personally hit up their HQ and bitch slap someone.

it will have plastic and a removable battery and a microsdxc slot, mimo wifi (hopefully with no problems this time around) and the dual core E5, even though quad core would be dope...

they will probably save the quad core for the Note 3 and nexus 10 2 Note 3 will be 1080p as well of course.

it will have plastic and a removable battery and a microsdxc slot, mimo wifi (hopefully with no problems this time around) and the dual core E5, even though quad core would be dope...

they will probably save the quad core for the Note 3 and nexus 10 2 Note 3 will be 1080p as well of course.
I think they'll use the quad core for the S4. Samsung will probably raise the bar in every respects when it comes to specs. I mean if quad core chips are already in use now, they'll easily do it next year. I think they care more about the GS4 than the Note.

They have no excuse to keep using cheap plastic. I'm not saying they can't use plastic at all, just use something higher quality!

verge review for HTC DNA: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3653508/htc-droid-dna-review

surprise! It has shitty battery life.

w7iFu.jpg

I think they'll use the quad core for the S4. Samsung will probably raise the bar in every respects when it comes to specs. I mean if quad core chips are already in use now, they'll easily do it next year. I think they care more about the GS4 than the Note.

They have no excuse to keep using cheap plastic. I'm not saying they can't use plastic at all, just use something higher quality!

yeah, i'm guessing GS4 and GN3 will have the same SoC, but GN3 will be clocked higher.

w7iFu.jpg

yeah, i'm guessing GS4 and GN3 will have the same SoC, but GN3 will be clocked higher.

that sounds plausible. hopefully this miracast and wireless charging catches on too. I like those two things.

Hey more rumors about Google as a cell carrier:

DATA ONLY NETWORK!!! HELLO GOOGLE VOICE NETWORK

MID TO LATE 2013

Sorry for the yelling, but this seems like if it unfolds the right way it will absolutely change the game.

Here's the article:

9to5Google said:
Regarding the Google-Dish tie up that was reported last night, we just got word that this is really happening. While the details haven’t been finalized, Google is already deep into development on plans to roll out the service and have it live by mid-late 2013.

Google plans to make the service data-only with voice and SMS only being used as VoIP services, likely with Google Voice. Google of course already has its ISP feet on the ground with its Fiber rollout on the Stanford Campus and its just-opened Kansas City network.

Google is launching its Glass head gear next year and would benefit from total control of the network. Without full control, Google is seeing its Voice and Wallet services being blocked by carriers, specifically AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile.

Dish has previously said on numerous occasions that it would like to build a wireless network with the wireless spectrum it has acquired since 2008, but the company wants a partner to help fulfill this endeavor. As the Wall Street Journal noted in its report from yesterday, Dish Chairman Charlie Ergen said potential partners include companies that would like to be in the industry and currently don’t have a wireless sector.

The chairman would not comment on Google specifically when discussing potential partners. However, as we noted, our sources said partnership plans between the two companies regarding a wireless network are already well underway.

Just read the nexus s wont be getting 4.2 :(

Yeah sure its a 2 year old phone buts thats kind of bullshit for pretty minor update over 4.1

I just bought a Nexus S on craigslist and I have custom roms on it with 4.1 and it's very slow when it comes to some stuff like multitasking and especially Maps. It's almost bordering on unuseable. Looking at replacing it with the N4 soon.

jokkir

I just bought a Nexus S on craigslist and I have custom roms on it with 4.1 and it's very slow when it comes to some stuff like multitasking and especially Maps. It's almost bordering on unuseable. Looking at replacing it with the N4 soon.

What's wrong with yours exactly because bordering unusable is way off from what I'm getting using my Nexus S. I'm on CM10.

What's wrong with yours exactly because bordering unusable is way off from what I'm getting using my Nexus S. I'm on CM10.

I was just exaggerating and I am on CM10 as well. It's just slower than I would like. I jumped from iPhone 4S to the Nexus S because I was simply waiting for something similar to the Nexus 4.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

The Note will always be 2nd to the S in Samsung's eyes

But we all know who the Best Galaxy is

The Note will always be 2nd to the S in Samsung's eyes

But we all know who the Best Galaxy is

Go Milky Way Go

you people have no idea how excited i am about Google's plans for a DATA ONLY network. no offense to anyone in kansas city but damn i want them to start this in california first. that will never happen though

Arc

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm a new Android user.

Anyways, I have a Sony aftermarket car stereo. I used to plug my iPhone in and use the integrated iPhone support to control it from the stereo. My new Galaxy S3 (and Android for that matter) isn't supported by the stereo, so the only way to use it is through a AUX cable. I'm willing to invest in a new stereo and swap out the Sony one if there is some form of Android support. I did a little bit of research but couldn't find much clear information.

Has anyone else found themselves in a similar dilemma?

Anyways, I have a Sony aftermarket car stereo. I used to plug my iPhone in and use the integrated iPhone support to control it from the stereo. My new Galaxy S3 (and Android for that matter) isn't supported by the stereo, so they only way to use it is through a AUX cable. I'm willing to invest in a new stereo and swap out the Sony one if there is some form of Android support. I did a little bit of research but couldn't find much clear information.

i'm in this dilemma right now. looking for a stereo that provides good support. i think pioneer and alpine both have support for pandora through bluetooth, and i think one of them supports apt-x (which the S3 does as well) for improved audio over bluetooth. i'll see if I can find it and post a link up

Edit:Here you go:

Pioneer(pandora and other apps over bluetooth):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/AppRadio+2+(SPH-DA100)

Alpine(specifically pandora support, any other audio source would have to be controlled from the phone and not the head unit):

https://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/83143-pandora-and-alpine

Arc

i'm in this dilemma right now. looking for a stereo that provides good support. i think pioneer and alpine both have support for pandora through bluetooth, and i think one of them supports apt-x (which the S3 does as well) for improved audio over bluetooth. i'll see if I can find it and post a link up

Bluetooth Pandora would be great. Not having Pandora through my stereo is whats killing me the most right now actually (I know I know can still use it through the AUX, but its not the same plus I would like to charge my phone at the same time).

Bluetooth Pandora would be great. Not having Pandora through my stereo is whats killing me the most right now actually (I know I know can still use it through the AUX, but its not the same plus I would like to charge my phone at the same time).

alpine has a few new models from CES in January at multiple price points. Those should be great choices. The Pioneer units come with screens, so that may not be ideal as they reach 5 and 600+ as far as pricing...

Anyways, I have a Sony aftermarket car stereo. I used to plug my iPhone in and use the integrated iPhone support to control it from the stereo. My new Galaxy S3 (and Android for that matter) isn't supported by the stereo, so they only way to use it is through a AUX cable. I'm willing to invest in a new stereo and swap out the Sony one if there is some form of Android support. I did a little bit of research but couldn't find much clear information.

Your best bet is to get a Bluetooth compatible stereo, which allows you to play music from your Android device, as well as use the stereo's controls.

What I did in my Camry is just use the factory stereo, combined with a GROM Aux-in adapter ($75) and Bluetooth kit ($50):

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adap...aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html

Now I just use the factory steering wheel controls, and it works great. Best of all, everything is hidden and there are no wires to the phone.

My other car is newer so it has Bluetooth built-in.

I use this mount as it's nice and minimal:

http://gromaudio.com/store/accessories/windshield_dashboard_car_mount_for_most_smartphones.html

RuGalz

Anyways, I have a Sony aftermarket car stereo. I used to plug my iPhone in and use the integrated iPhone support to control it from the stereo. My new Galaxy S3 (and Android for that matter) isn't supported by the stereo, so the only way to use it is through a AUX cable. I'm willing to invest in a new stereo and swap out the Sony one if there is some form of Android support. I did a little bit of research but couldn't find much clear information.

I recently installed Sony XAV-64BT in my car. It has direct Pandora control from the touch screen with Android Phones. Unfortunately, BT voice dialing isn't working as well as I'd hoped -- I haven't found a 100% solution for it yet.

Sony has XAV-601BT which support Mirrorlink. GS3 is one of the first phones to have this. Mirrorlink allows you to use the unit's touch screen to control your phone. However, at the time when I was looking into this it had just came out so I wasn't going to jump on it.

But I came across this, if you are willing to do some soldering yourself... http://www.customgadz.com/store/ It will let you use any car's touchscreen to control the phone without the lag of Mirrorlink.

Pioneer has some units that 'work' but they are more catered toward iPhone. At the time when I was looking into this (about 3 months ago), people said the Android support was very poor.

tino

Banned
Google is in talk with disk to aquire a CLearwire-like 4G network? This is scary. The prospect of Google and Verizon competing head to head is scary.

Dibbz

I'm looking for a little help. I've installed a Jellybean ROM on my Milestone 2 and I can't get flash to work. I've downloaded an older .apk of flash but no matter what browser I seem to use I can't get it working. Opera says I need to install flash, the default browser crashes etc. Any help?

Arc

I was hoping to spend a little less. While touch controls would be great, I don't really need it. I just need a stereo that will dig into my phone and let me browse the music (and support Pandora).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So my mom who's an older lady started dating another nice older gentlemen like almost 2 years ago ( a few years after my dad passed away with cancer). Anyways it was his birthday yesterday and my Mom and I got him a wireless router and Nexus 7.

He's still got an old flip phone, and his computer is a decade old XP desktop that takes like 5 mins too boot. Anyways he was really suprised about the tablet. I was trying to help him learn how to use it last night and tonight. He loves the thing. My mom said they were randomly messing with voice search when they were bored this afternoon.

At any rate he's a believer. He loves the smaller size as it's easier to manage. He's slowly learning to type better, and he's learning just how to tap verses long press and such. He downloaded the Bank of America app and was like hey it's just like on my computer but like way faster. I helped him get the ESPN Score App and the watch ESPN app. We had sportscenter going on the tablet and on the big tv concurrently. LOL

My mom seems to really like it too, but I think that's just because she has an old iPhone 4 and wishes she had a bigger screen so she could read things better. Think a tablet has just entered on her Xmas list. LOL

On two side notes his Nexus 7 got the 4.2 update OTA. Also WTF at the ESPN College Football app not being compatible with tablets and just phones?!?!?

Samsung Galaxy S2 Android 4.1.2 test firmware leaks

The firmware is supposedly quite stable, and seems to pack nearly all of the features that are coming to other Samsung devices with Android 4.1 -- Google Now, Project Butter, Smart Stay and new notifications are all on-board. One thing missing will be multi-view window management, which isn't surprising considering the lower resolution of the S2's display when compared to other recent 720x1280 devices.

BASED SAMSUNG

Mahzkrieg

Banned
I still don't understand how Samsung benefits from having TouchWiz on these phones.
NOBODY WANTS IT! STOP USING MONEY TO DEVELOP IT!

I still don't understand how Samsung benefits from having TouchWiz on these phones.
Carriers force companies to throw stupid skins on. But yeah Samsung could easily choose to tone down the touchwizzyness of it considering what Motorola is doing with their current skin.

Cipherr

Damn Gmail is so much better now once you get 4.2 man. Enable the auto page fit and pinch zooming and now all of my emails look great and fit the screen naturally.

Such a small thing, but it makes a huge difference.

Donos

Carriers force companies to throw stupid skins on. But yeah Samsung could easily choose to tone down the touchwizzyness of it considering what Motorola is doing with their current skin.

Don't think that it's the carriers (carriers in europe don't have any power here they have in the US), it's more that they (Samsung,HTC, Motorola) try to differentiate their brands through these skins and say "hey touchwiz has these widgets, hey Sense has this special Camera App/look". Hardware specs are often to identical at times.

I'm pretty sure Samsung is skinning on purpose, to differentiate their products from competitors. They just need to be less ugly about it.

F#A#Oo

Banned
http://youtu.be/60-PDO7cJuU?t=1m41s

I don't like having to wait for empty white space to fill in when I scroll quickly. The few advantages Chrome has over other browsers don't come close to making up for this WebOS-like performance.

I'm sorry but it's not that much of an issue. Yes Google need to fix it but it's not that great an issue. I agree though that Google are probably not as competitive in the browser field as they once were.

Doopliss

I'm sorry but it's not that much of an issue. Yes Google need to fix it but it's not that great an issue. I agree though that Google are probably not as competitive in the browser field as they once were.
You're right, because it's easy enough to change to a browser without this horrible defect.

BWOOP

BWOOP
The sound of a massive TouchWiz shit plopping into the pristine waters of Android 4.x.

Don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but I recently installed an update on my Razr M and the Google search bar changed from looking like this:
UtuBL.jpg

to looking like this:
XSHUK.png

Is there any way to revert the appearance back to the old style? I really don't like this semi-opaque ugly gray shit. I want my outline back!

Doopliss

Don't know if this is the best place to ask this, but I recently installed an update on my Razr M and the Google search bar changed from looking like this:
UtuBL.jpg

to looking like this:
XSHUK.png

Is there any way to revert the appearance back to the old style? I really don't like this semi-opaque ugly gray shit. I want my outline back!
The old one is how it looked in ICS - they changed to the grey background in JB. I think Apex or Nova Launcher will allow you to change it back.

The old one is how it looked in ICS - they changed to the grey background in JB. I think Apex or Nova Launcher will allow you to change it back.

Do you know if either will allow me to keep everything else the same? I had LauncherPro on my previous X but I really don't mind the UI on the M.

Edit: Looks like the answer is no. Guess I'll have to deal with this hideous gray blob on my screen.

sales indicate that people want TouchWiz.

Yes, Carriers want to be able to differentiate between phones... and so do manufacturers.

the great thing about Android is that many of the advances that Manufacturers come up with are then folded back into stock.

seriously, can't you all imagine how sweet it will be when functionality like Smart Stay, Smart Rotate, S Beam and Group Share are stock?

edit: and Google's "Quick Settings" are a joke.

Donos

sales indicate that people want TouchWiz.

most people around me who bought S2/S3 or HTC Desire/Ones didn't know shit about Sense or Touchwiz and only knew (and still only know) that the phones have "android" as OS. They bought in the big ads, reviews and shop clerks raving about "flagship phone XY from XY".

But i agree that these "skins" produced some nice features which lacked in the stock android and some even got integrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom