• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

If you value your sanity, you'll turn this off the moment you set up yout touchwiz'd device

If you value your sanity, you will either flash a custom rom (AOSP or whatever it's called) on a touchwiz device or don't buy a touchwiz device

Parfait

I dont know if this is a 4.2 problem with the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy Nexus itself or a 4.2 bug, but apparently my phone 'turns on' every once in a while, maybe every half hour.

It's as if i pressed the power button. Just shows the lock screen then goes off.

The thing is that, and i'm not positive about this, is that if it's charging (connected to my computer) then my screensaver doesn't turn on correctly (it instantly shuts off after it starts, booting me immediately to the password entry screen). It makes no sense because just previewing the screensaver works fine.

So right now i'm about to leave the phone off the computer and watch it come on. It's really weird.

tino

Banned
I dont know if this is a 4.2 problem with the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy Nexus itself or a 4.2 bug, but apparently my phone 'turns on' every once in a while, maybe every half hour.

It's as if i pressed the power button. Just shows the lock screen then goes off.

The thing is that, and i'm not positive about this, is that if it's charging (connected to my computer) then my screensaver doesn't turn on correctly (it instantly shuts off after it starts, booting me immediately to the password entry screen). It makes no sense because just previewing the screensaver works fine.

So right now i'm about to leave the phone off the computer and watch it come on. It's really weird.

When some apps update can trigger that. For example I can set Beyondpod to trigger that. Doesn't really impact the battery.

this_guy

It used to suck. Now it just isn't quite as good as stock. And it is a bit uglier, less customizable.

How exactly is it less customizable? You can still change your launcher, still change your theme, and do anything else you want to change the look.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How exactly is it less customizable? You can still change your launcher, still change your theme, and do anything else you want to change the look.

Notification toggles can't be changed, for one. I hate that every time I pull down the notification shade it scrolls the toggles. I don't need most of the toggles that are there.

Nicktendo86

Just came in to post one thing, dolphin browser is so much better than chrome and the stock browser. Never given it a chance before but wow, it is so smooth

most people around me who bought S2/S3 or HTC Desire/Ones didn't know shit about Sense or Touchwiz and only knew (and still only know) that the phones have "android" as OS. They bought in the big ads, reviews and shop clerks raving about "flagship phone XY from XY".

But i agree that these "skins" produced some nice features which lacked in the stock android and some even got integrated.

so basically, they don't *not* want TouchWiz?

Samsung adds great functionality with the visual design of a color blind 5 year old
Pretty much. Just look at what Samsung has done to extend Android for full stylus support in the GNII. Technically some of the stuff added to Android with TouchWiz is amazing. It's just so much uglier than Holo stock 4.x now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pretty much. Just look at what Samsung has done to extend Android for full stylus support in the GNII. Technically some of the stuff added to Android with TouchWiz is amazing. It's just so much uglier than Holo stock 4.x now.

Samsung is the new Android dev team.

Blackhead

Redarse

No way those are official. Apple hasn't even put out iWork & i Life for Windows and recently discontinued Safari for that platform too.

One app that I'm surprised Apple hasn't made multiplatform yet is the Apple Store app. That app's sole purpose is for selling hardware where Apple makes all their money anyway. Even if the audience has an Android or Windows phone, the Apple Store app could be used to purchase a Mac or iPad.

They all say the apps crash. Ridiculous prices are well

Same prices as the iOS apps. Same crashes as well lol

3phemeral

Link doesn't work

Did they get pulled?

Works for me. I've been looking for a music app so I got excited when I saw Garage Band and in a moment of stupidity, impulse bought it to test it out. Then I started thinking about whether or not these apps are legit after it force closed, immediately uninstalled and requested a refund and emailed Google about the developer.

I hate being suckered :(

I'll post what I posted in the Nex4 thread, can't believe I just did this but I did and I DON'T GIVE A FUCK:

I made the decision to just cancel my order. Got no time for this shit google. I hope a noble soul got my cancelled order.

I'll just get one of the flagships that come out in the first half of 2013.

so I'm gonna stick with my 4S. I'll just get the S4 or something. Whatever the best phone is around that time. That easy to lose a customer.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'll post what I posted in the Nex4 thread, can't believe I just did this but I did and I DON'T GIVE A FUCK:

so I'm gonna stick with my 4S. I'll just get the S4 or something. Whatever the best phone is around that time. That easy to lose a customer.

And it'll be the same problem demand at the S4 launch, meanwhile the Nexus4 will be in stock then, perhaps even with a price drop, and Apple will likely be selling the unlocked iPhone5 too. If your complaints are about slow shipping times then why not get one of the great phones in ready supply right now? best time to buy an S3 actually

Cipherr

And it'll be the same problem demand at the S4 launch, meanwhile the Nexus4 will be in stock then, perhaps even with a price drop, and Apple will likely be selling the unlocked iPhone5 too. If your complaints are about slow shipping times then why not get one of the great phones in ready supply right now? best time to buy an S3 actually

I can deeeefinitely see the S4 having some stock issues assuming they move to 1080p screens with lower yields, and the mad rush of S2 owners that will then be wielding their 2 year upgrades ready for a new phone. Going to be madness.

nahh it's much easier to deal with carriers when acquiring a phone in terms of demand. I'm not saying it'll be a simple walk in and buy. I'm just saying it'll be alot easier.

I'm not acting butthurt and taking my money home. I kept my Nexus 7 despite the bullshit at that launch. It just turned me off enough that I think I'm ok with walking away and picking up a flagship sometime in Q2 next year. The lack of LTE made that decision easier to swallow for sure. It's easy to sour on something when you weren't in love with it to begin with.

Blackhead

Redarse
nahh it's much easier to deal with carriers when acquiring a phone in terms of demand. I'm not saying it'll be a simple walk in and buy. I'm just saying it'll be alot easier.
Disagree. The Verizon launch of the LTE Galaxy Nexus last year was handled worse than Google's missteps so far this year. Each year, the iPhone threads are filled with stories of carrier's websites crashing as people try to preorder, activation problems, month long backorders, etc. If a phone is popular then all the distribution systems seem to collapse under the demand.

I'm not acting butthurt and taking my money home. I kept my Nexus 7 despite the bullshit at that launch. It just turned me off enough that I think I'm ok with walking away and picking up a flagship sometime in Q2 next year. The lack of LTE made that decision easier to swallow for sure. It's easy to sour on something when you weren't in love with it to begin with.
Ah then don't settle until you find one you want.

AndresON777

shooting blanks

image.php

Disagree. The Verizon launch of the LTE Galaxy Nexus last year was handled worse than Google's missteps so far this year. Each year, the iPhone threads are filled with stories of carrier's websites crashing as people try to preorder, activation problems, month long backorders, etc. If a phone is popular then all the distribution systems seem to collapse under the demand.

Ah then don't settle until you find one you want.
I don't, I have a carrier store right accross the street from me. Never failed walking in and getting whatever I wanted. I did it for the 4/4S/previous nexus phone and I've seen it done with the S3.

Verizon just sucks I guess. I'm in canada btw. As long as I got in the morning all is well. As for carrier pre-orders, they went without a hitch for the iphone 5 for my mom and brother. And those phones are the hardest to get. I'm not so worried. The nexus brand is pretty much synonymous with horrible launches these days.

No one can deny that some of these skins are bringing good ideas to the table. They're just plain ugly and they bog things down.

I've heard that TouchWiz doesn't really slow things down anymore on recent devices. Then again, it might be the quad-cores making up for the added code bloat. But apparently Sense on the Droid DNA manages to gum up the works even with Snapdragon S4 Pro and 2 GB of RAM.

I've heard that TouchWiz doesn't really slow things down anymore on recent devices. Then again, it might be the quad-cores making up for the added code bloat. But apparently Sense on the Droid DNA manages to gum up the works even with Snapdragon S4 Pro and 2 GB of RAM.

Where have you read this? I saw about 3 or 4 reviews say that even though the reviewer didnt like Sense, it still ran smoothly.

Blablurn

SghIk.png

i wonder if u guys can help me. what is this mediaserver and why is it stealing all my battery life. note: phone was on sleep mode most of the time.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
http://i.imgur.com/SghIk.png[/IG]

i wonder if u guys can help me. what is this mediaserver and why is it stealing all my battery life. note: phone was on sleep mode most of the time.[/QUOTE]

Download CPU Spy and Better Battery Stats to drill down the problem.

I have a Galaxy S3 - and I abhor proprietary programs for transferring files.

Its the MAIN reason I got rid of my iPhone. iTunes is horrible.

Its also one of the big reasons I gave up on WP7. I refuse to do registry hacks to get zune to work halfway decent.

With droid, I downloaded a free app called Samba Network Fileshare. All I gotta do in Windows is go to \\Android . As long as my droid is connected via WiFi, I can drag and drop, and retrieve, files at will to system memory and SD card.

I mapped it as my Z drive, so it shows right up under My Computer.

Of course USB is faster for large files, but I'm not complaining about 5MB/s

I may be late, but I just thought I'd share.

I have a Galaxy S3 - and I abhor proprietary programs for transferring files.

Its the MAIN reason I got rid of my iPhone. iTunes is horrible.

Its also one of the big reasons I gave up on WP7. I refuse to do registry hacks to get zune to work halfway decent.

With droid, I downloaded a free app called Samba Network Fileshare. All I gotta do in Windows is go to Android . As long as my droid is connected via WiFi, I can drag and drop, and retrieve, files at will to system memory and SD card.

I mapped it as my Z drive, so it shows right up under My Computer.

Of course USB is faster for large files, but I'm not complaining about 5MB/s

I may be late, but I just thought I'd share.

That sounds like something I would like to use!

Also...agree with pyro...these nexus launches are horrible and Google has no excuse for this shit. Never had any problem with a carrier launch either and Im in so cal

antipod

and now its back to 22%. am i the only one here who encountered this mediaserver problem?

I've had Media Server drain battery while having it in stand-by. What it most likely was at that time was flash or something running in a web browser in the background. Because it disappeared when I really closed the browser.

RuGalz

and now its back to 22%. am i the only one here who encountered this mediaserver problem?

part of its function is scanning your device for ringtone, notification, music, etc. no idea what phone you have, maybe pop out the SD card and have it scanned and fixed on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom