• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Post yet?

New play store changes

including:

Wat

0383_lqe1.gif

Jeez...as a dev I'm not sure I like this. Would be ok if it had been that way from the start, but numbers of reviews will drop massively as a response to this.

Let's say that this negatively impacts bullshit apps with bullshit 5 star reviews. It would be worth it if you didn't have to compete with as much noise, no?

Let's say that this negatively impacts bullshit apps with bullshit 5 star reviews. It would be worth it if you didn't have to compete with as much noise, no?
Well what's to stop bullshit reviews from bullshit Google+ accounts?
you think so? You see some of the lunacy people write with facebook attached comment sections on websites?
Yeah, I definitely think fewer people will leave reviews, I wouldn't post a review with my G+ account, and I have one.

It wouldn't have bothered me too much if this had always been the case but having two "classes" of reviews is a scary transition to make.

I am looking forward to being able to reply to reviews though.

Well what's to stop bullshit reviews from bullshit Google+ accounts?

Yeah, I definitely think fewer people will leave reviews, I wouldn't post a review with my G+ account, and I have one.

It wouldn't have bothered me too much if this had always been the case but having two "classes" of reviews is a scary transition to make.

I am looking forward to being able to reply to reviews though.

I'm hoping it would at least make things more tedious for shady people. I guess worst case scenario it doesn't change volume, but users could click on the profiles of people giving out suspicious 5-star reviews and easily see that it links to a fake account. So that would be an improvement.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I want developers of offensively bad apps to be able to see my google plus profile when I give them 1 star reviews.

i already do it, but i can see why it would annoy some people to attach their real name to a review. what's funny is it will hamper the normal people, but the crazy folk and those mass spammers gaming the system won't be so easily deterred.

doesn't matter because most people don't have a Google+ that they actually use anyway, they just have an empty husk of shell with no profile picture...

Google is doing this so that maybe people will be aware that they have this account and some people do use it. Honestly, I hope it catches on because I like Google+ alot better than Facebook, but whatever I barely use social networks anyway.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
title.png

Firefox 17 Mobile Released

So Mozilla released Firefox 17 mobile. Heck that puts it ahead of the desktop version.

Meanwhile Google seems to still not give a fuck about mobile chrome. Mozilla seems to update Firefox on a monthly basis.

PS: If you haven't tried out Firefox since say a year or so ago check it out again as Mozilla has changed things up quite a bit since then.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
title.png

So Mozilla released Firefox 17 mobile. Heck that puts it ahead of the desktop version.

Meanwhile Google seems to still not give a fuck about mobile chrome. Mozilla seems to update Firefox on a monthly basis.

PS: If you haven't tried out Firefox since say a year or so ago check it out again as Mozilla has changed things up quite a bit since then.
"Support for ARMv6 phones with at least 800MHZ processor and minimum 512MB RAM"

Awesome!

this_guy

title.png

Firefox really is good now - I use it as my default browser.

tino

Banned
title.png

I downloaded and tried it again, it still has no way to close tab in one press. Also two press to switch tab. Can't think of any ergonomic decision thats worse.

How do you use this crap?

TheTowel

I'm just hoping google is saving up for some epic chrome update to go with keylime pie sometime early next year. Early being Q1/Q2.

That'd be nice. Can't use it now. Runs like shit. Ever go into a thread here and have to swype again and again to get to the bottom of the page? That was what did it for me.

Darkkn

So i installed CM10 to my old Galaxy S1 and wow. It's like as smooth as GS3 on most things and like 100x better than stock rom!
It's really cool to be running cutting edge OS, services and apps on a relatively old hardware and seeing it running much better than it used to when it was new. Apple stuff tends to get worse by every update so it's very nice to see Android side only improving by the release, even on old hardware.

BiggNife

I dunno, firefox mobile is fine but it's missing the really nice touches I like about chrome like magnifying part of the screen when you tap on an area with multiple links or zooming in on a text box when you tap it. Since chrome updated a few weeks ago and fixed the swiftkey bug I haven't really felt an need to use any other browser.

deim0s

Just discovered SwiftKey 3.

Worth it? Any thoughts on its improvement over the stock keyboard?

Still on a Gingerbread device tho. Feels weird that I need an app to improve the keyboard a bit.

RayStorm

I just upgraded from an Acer Liquid E with LiquidNext on it to a I9300 Galaxy S3 with Omega v33.2. And currently I'm missing some apps or rather functions, any help would be greatly appreciated:

1) Office Suite that has a way of quick scrolling through large .xls tables like scroll bars. Kingsoft Office and Office Suite Pro 6+ seem rather tedious after a quick glance. Presumably to scroll somewhere in a table with 3000 rows I'd need 30 minutes. That can't be how it's supposed to be, can it?
2) Keyboard with swipe and arrow keys. I find it extremly tedious to correct typos or other kinds of typing with the selection tool.
3) Media Player that is able to scrobble either by the audioscrobble app or by itself and auto resumes playback when I plug headphones in.

Nicktendo86

Decided to go back to CM10 on my GNexus yesterday after a few days running stock 4.2. Couldn't stand the terribad quick settings any longer, not to mention the bugs such as the slow rotating camera and missing December in the people app. The lock screen widgets are pretty much useless as well, slider shortcuts work just fine.

Can't wait to see what CM10.1 has in store for us though, if they really take quick settings/lock screen widgets and make them USEFUL while also ironing out the bugs it will be the definitive 4.2 rom.

Vanillalite

I downloaded and tried it again, it still has no way to close tab in one press. Also two press to switch tab. Can't think of any ergonomic decision thats worse.

How do you use this crap?

Neither of those things are that bothersome to me.

I like that I can sync with my desktop, use flash, have the Firefox user agent, have Firefox extensions, and they update on a regular basis.

3phemeral

Huh, this is new. I just downloaded Firefox and seems they added a "Keep shopping" screen with suggested apps after your download completes:

wrvL6l.png

Or is this old news? Don't recall seeing this yesterday.

RuGalz

Huh, this is new. I just downloaded Firefox and seems they added a "Keep shopping" screen with suggested apps after your download completes:

It's definitely new. I remember started seeing it second day after I got my N10.

tino

Banned
Neither of those things are that bothersome to me.

I like that I can sync with my desktop, use flash, have the Firefox user agent, have Firefox extensions, and they update on a regular basis.

Many browsers have user agent function. Does Firefox mobile actual have useful extension now?

Vanillalite

Many browsers have user agent function. Does Firefox mobile actual have useful extension now?

Yes. Some of your standard affair like stylish and ad block plus are available. Plus obviously flash works with it.

Thing is Firefox Mobile has well Firefox as its user agent. That means shit just works as most websites are design with Firefox in mind.

BiggNife

Still on a Gingerbread device tho. Feels weird that I need an app to improve the keyboard a bit.

I'm super happy with SwiftKey - it's miles better than the Samsung keyboard that came with my Galaxy S3. It is way, way better at text prediction. I have to imagine it's a big improvement over the Gingerbread keyboard too.

Try the free version - it's a 30 day trial and has all of the same functionality the full version has.

wrvL6l.png

yeah it's new. I believe Android Police also has it for download on their site as well. Already have it on my One X now.

look at that beatiful N10 screenshot (sigh) :(

I probably won't see one of those for another month.

Jeff-DSA

So...I have a Nexus 10 now and I have the update sitting in my notification bar. I've seen some grumbling about 4.2.1. Should I hold off from doing that update for 4.2.2? Is there any real reason to wait?

Also, I need to know if I can get a Flash-supported browser on this. I already miss Flash from my Xoom, and I'd like to figure out how to get it going on the N10. Any help with that?

Vanillalite

So...I have a Nexus 10 now and I have the update sitting in my notification bar. I've seen some grumbling about 4.2.1. Should I hold off from doing that update for 4.2.2? Is there any real reason to wait?

Also, I need to know if I can get a Flash-supported browser on this. I already miss Flash from my Xoom, and I'd like to figure out how to get it going on the N10. Any help with that?

Firefox supports flash. Just grab the .apk from the net and load it. Then just go to the play store and install Firefox! Boom done.

Jeff-DSA

Firefox supports flash. Just grab the .apk from the net and load it. Then just go to the play store and install Firefox! Boom done.

*fist bump*

Thanks, dude. Any reason to not seek out the AOSP browser over Firefox? I guess it's time I take another good look at Firefox anyway, it's been a while.

Man, this Nexus 10. It's so beautiful.

Vanillalite

You can if you want to try the AOSP browser out.

I'm pretty sure Opera Mobile works with Flash as well. So you have some options.

Getting it to run is as easy as downloading the apk and installing then just running a flash compatible browser though.

YAKJU 4.2 UPDATE ROLLING OUT (MANUAL UPDATE AVAILABLE AS WELL)

ok done yelling

also, 32GB Nexus 10 back on the play store (16gb as well)

get it while it's hot

just root and put the stock android browser back on your tablet, i think ics browser+ from the market may work with flash as well, good browser there imo. just about the same as the stock browser, but adds a little more too.

freshair

Thanks for whomever told me there was a 'refresh' button on GNow regarding the traffic cards. Works as intended.

Now I have another question! I often like to gchat while I'm at work on a pc browser, but I also have gchat signed in 24/7 on my phone as well. Is there a way to prevent getting notifications on the phone while I'm logged in the browser?

I suppose I could sign out on the phone, but then I just might forget to sign-in when I'm off work.

It's started to get annoying to have to clear the gchat notifications on my phone every 5 min

[edit] Maybe not. Looks like it's built that way on purpose...

Jeff-DSA

I got the Flash going via sideloading the .APK and using Dolphin. I honestly only use it to stream sports, so it wasn't critical, but I liked having it.

Now that I've got Flash going, this thing is perfect for me.

this_guy

Swiftly is great- been using it for a year. I just switched to Touchpal keyboard and is my new favorite keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom