• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezduo

Banned
My LG Lucid just updated a day or two ago and now half my music shows up as "Unknown Artist". Anyone have any trouble with this? Nothing I do seems to fix it and I'd rather not rerip all my music again.

bearbomb

Neo Member
Halp gaf, haaalp me. Well I didn't get an order in for nexus 4. Just wondering if I should wait it out for a nexus or the next big thing (galaxy s4?) or get a note 2 now but have to sign a new contract? I'm stuck haha.

That reminds me, I was reading the latest rumours on the S4 and good lord are they ridiculous. 5 inch screen 1080p, high end camera, exynos 5450 for gads sake.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just ridiculous how far along phones are.

tino

Banned
Halp gaf, haaalp me. Well I didn't get an order in for nexus 4. Just wondering if I should wait it out for a nexus or the next big thing (galaxy s4?) or get a note 2 now but have to sign a new contract? I'm stuck haha.

Go get the TMobile "free GS3 after rebate" promotion now and cancel the account 2 months later. You will get a new GS3 for 300+ bucks.

Pctx

Banned
What the fuck Firefox. I go to CNN.com and it loads the desktop site and then you have the nerve when I press the menu button to request the desktop site? Lasted 15 seconds on my phone... what a piece of shit.

this_guy

Never heard of this, but I'll look into it.

I'm currently running the download "beta" version of Swype as my default keyboard.

The prediction to me is as good as Swiftkey, but i think it's better than Swiftkey when it comes to recognizing individual key presses. I always hated Swiftkey when trying to enter a password because i keep hitting the wrong key. Plus Touchpal is free and has a slick animation for key presses (not a big deal, but it's nice).

r1chard

Woot, got the 4.2 update on my GN.

Can't take a good Photo Sphere though. Tried a couple in the office (3x4m room) and the stitching was terrible.

I'm actually really liking the new swiping keyboard on my galaxy nexus 4.2

ya know i tried swype once, decided i hated it and never used it again...

i tried it recently and it's not feeling bad...

is there a difference between swype and this keyboard??

trying to see if it's Google fanboyism placebo thing happening here...

Nicktendo86

ya know i tried swype once, decided i hated it and never used it again...

i tried it recently and it's not feeling bad...

is there a difference between swype and this keyboard??

trying to see if it's Google fanboyism placebo thing happening here...

Personally I'd say it just seems to FEEL better. The word prediction seems much better and it helps where you can see the word as yuo go along. Biggest plus for me is it is built into the normal keyboard so I find I do a mixture of gesture and normal typing without even thinking.

ep85

Well people (including me) thought it would have horrible battery life, with the quad core, LTE, and higher resolution screen and all...

Set those hurdles low so we can jump over them with more fanfare.

Zeppu

Man 4.2 is a huge disappointment. Everything feels so...unfinished. I like the new keyboard and quicksettings but the red headings in the clock app, the whole 16:58 theme are terrible. The worse though is the clusterfuck which are the lockscreen widgets. Not to mention the December bug, the fact that most of my friends now have their birthday in 20xx and the reports of sluggishness/battery drain with multiple profiles.

First Android version that feels like a downgrade :(

Well people (including me) thought it would have horrible battery life, with the quad core, LTE, and higher resolution screen and all...

Set those hurdles low so we can jump over them with more fanfare.

Not too bad..I can't live with that.

What's the latest on the non Verizon version?

SimleuqiR

Man 4.2 is a huge disappointment. Everything feels so...unfinished. I like the new keyboard and quicksettings but the red headings in the clock app, the whole 16:58 theme are terrible. The worse though is the clusterfuck which are the lockscreen widgets. Not to mention the December bug, the fact that most of my friends now have their birthday in 20xx and the reports of sluggishness/battery drain with multiple profiles.

Did we just get pimp slapped by Duarte?

i9T8Q9oZ5aaA.jpg

I wonder if the idea of the lockscreen widgets was even his? Mmmm....

I still don't have 4.2, so I can't say if I like or hate it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah 4.2 is a bit half baked.

I don't really like it on my N7. The lockscreen widgets are kind of useless and make my lockscreen ugly. I got a weird bug today where the lockscreen was unresponsive to touch until my alarm went off. Also I don't like the right/left swiping of the notification bar on the N7. I would prefer to have it the same as on my phone since I keep accidentally hitting the quick menu which I don't need anywhere as often as I do on my phone.

Zeppu

Lockscreen is confusing as fuck. What exactly is happening here? Also, why is my date in the wrong format?! All system settings point towards me wanting and liking dd/mm. When I expand the notification tray I get it as Wed 21 November. Why does the goddamn lockscreen just not give a shit and tell me its November 21? No, it fucking isn't. It's 21 November.

And then these red headers

Oh, and unlocking to camera now is more awkward and takes 2 to 3 times as long, because the system waits a couple of seconds when you swipe to the right before launching the app.

Not to mention the more serious issues mentioned here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...major-issues-plaguing-googles-newest-release/

Yup, very disappointing, I don't like the quick settings either but I'm happy we got a new clock app.

Let's hope they've mostly been working on a big 5.0 upgrade in the summer.

Cudder

I like the look of the new lockscreen, I just don't get why each lockscreen widget HAS to get it's own page, and you have to swipe to it. The clock only takes up a quarter of the main lockscreen, can't we get some smaller widgets somewhere in there instead of having to swipe multiple pages to get to them?

Unlocking my phone and going to the app is faster than getting to these lockscreen widgets.

The new Camera rotation lag/"feature"/whatever is so incredibly stupid, instead of the rotation of just the icons as before now the whole screen rotates.

And there is no need for rotation, the camera is rotating the picture DUH. 4.2 is a half baked POS.

SimleuqiR

Not to mention the more serious issues mentioned here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11...ewest-release/

Eh....WTF!!!!!

Bluetooth Is Basically Broken
Known affected devices: Nexus 10, Nexus 7, Galaxy Nexus.
Documented? Android bugs [1] [2], XDA [1] [2], Google+.
We've already received numerous emails about this issue, and I've confirmed it myself: Bluetooth on everything but the Nexus 4 (apparently) is in an absolutely sorry state right now. Audio streams extremely choppily, sounds mediocre, and often loses connectivity entirely. 3rd party Bluetooth apps that create compatibility with devices like the Sixaxis or Wii controllers no longer function at all, and throw an error instead.
This is bad. This is the kind of thing that makes someone return a phone or tablet, because A.) people have no patience for stuff like this, and B.) there's zero reason something as simple as Bluetooth should be broken so badly out of the box. Google needs to mark this one "critical" and fix it ASAP.

Holy shit! I use Blutooth every day.

Futureman

sounds like they rushed it so they could release the N4.

I bet you SUCKERS wish you were on a VZW Nexus HHAHAHA hahahaha ha.... haha...... ha....... hello?

Oyashiro

Whenever Im listening to music using either Google Music or doubleTwist, the song gets interrupted for a few seconds when an SMS comes in. Is there any way to stop that? On iOS, a message coming in will only lower the volume of a song for a few seconds and then resume to its original volume.

Whenever Im listening to music using either Google Music or doubleTwist, the song gets interrupted for a few seconds when an SMS comes in. Is there any way to stop that? On iOS, a message coming in will only lower the volume of a song for a few seconds and then resume to its original volume.
That's what should happen in Android as well.

Maybe there's something odd about the specific ringtone you're using, or the ring volume is too high compared to the media volume.

You guys aren't making me very excited to recieve my N4 today. Sounds like 4.2 is a mess.

How often does google push updates to the OS? Shouldn't tha December bug be a critical fix considering December is in a week?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I like the 12:20 style. Seems cool to me. I hate those red headings, though, what the fuck. And the lock screen is a total downgrade.

buhdeh

I don't mind the bolded hour. Hell, I don't even mind the red headings. But got damn the lockscreen and the giant white boxes are horrendous.

gcubed

You guys aren't making me very excited to recieve my N4 today. Sounds like 4.2 is a mess.

How often does google push updates to the OS? Shouldn't tha December bug be a critical fix considering December is in a week?

There are patch releases, I'm assuming there will be a new version of 4.2 soon. I didn't expect this from Google after ICS and 4.1

Alucrid

Banned
Just got my DNA and man does it feel good. No idea how I want to customize it though. Should I stick with Sense or continue using launcher pro?

tino

Banned
So HTC is paying Apple around $8 per device. Not a big deal consider how much Apple has spent on aquiring patents. Apple need to drop fucking suits on apple-a-day and other supermarket and restaurant before I stop raging against Apple.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So HTC is paying Apple around $8 per device. Not a big deal consider how much Apple has spent on aquiring patents. Apple need to drop fucking suits on apple-a-day and other supermarket and restaurant before I stop raging against Apple.

Erm, the article says it's not 8 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom