• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
"net licensing fee of between $6 and $8"

Well that's analyst's estimates. But their CEO says that's not true. Anyways, they probably don't sell enough phones for Apple to profit off of that much anyways.

tino

Banned
Well that's analyst's estimates. But their CEO says that's not true. Anyways, they probably don't sell enough phones for Apple to profit off of that much anyways.

The CEO will never tell you how much it is or confirm the amount.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I'm getting more crashes with 4.2 and it is slower than 4.1. Anyone else experience the same? Not liking this update. Anyway possible to rollback the update?

Is there any way to close all apps in the task manager? I know holding the opened app brings up the remove button for that individual app but wondering if you can close them all at once. By task manager I mean the multitask button on the far right? Not sure what its officially called. (Nexus 4 here)

Hieberrr

Is there any way to close all apps in the task manager? I know holding the opened app brings up the remove button for that individual app but wondering if you can close them all at once. By task manager I mean the multitask button on the far right? Not sure what its officially called. (Nexus 4 here)

Not with stock. Stock is extremely bare bones to the point where it pisses me off. Wait until CyanogenMod releases their 4.2 ROM or jump on MIUI.

M'm trying my best to stay on stock, but I might bite and flash MIUI (mix of iOS and Android) when it gets released.

MIUI sounds interesting. Would be up my alley for sure. I remember my moms s3 being able to do it. Well I couldnt do it on iOS either so I guess its a wash for me.

Cipherr

The CEO will never tell you how much it is or confirm the amount.

You linked to an article detailing that analysts thought it was 6-8 but the CEO is reporting today that this is not the case. In fact they called the figure outrageous which tells us its probably nowhere NEAR that much.

But you then posted that HTC was paying 6-8. Im not sure what about that article made you come to that conclusion. If anything its the exact opposite.

HTC Rebuts Report It’s Paying Apple $6-$8 Per Handset Under 10-Year Licensing Deal: “It Is A Outrageous Number”, Says Chou

Whoa this is much easier lol thanks guys

Yeah, the 'swipe away' gesture is pretty common in the OS in many places. You can swipe away notifications in the notification shade, and swipe away emails in the GMail app to archive or delete them.

Probably stupid question and missing something but my N4 came with 5 home screens, 3 of them empty. How do I delete the empty home screens? I hold the screen and it gives me an option to add wallpaper but not delete.

Also, this news and weather app on stock Android, can I not add a few cities other than my current location to the app? On iOS I had a few cities added to the weather app.

Lastly, can I not hide apps from the app pages? Not my home screens but that complete app page where it shows all your apps. Don't know android terminology sorry :/

Using the S3 for a few days and now this N4 are my only android experiences ever. Stock android is much different than the S3 experience. For the very good and also for the bad. I'm surprised to see a few features I wanted that are on the s3 but not included on stock. Interesting.

tino

Banned
You linked to an article detailing that analysts thought it was 6-8 but the CEO is reporting today that this is not the case. In fact they called the figure outrageous which tells us its probably nowhere NEAR that much.

But you then posted that HTC was paying 6-8. Im not sure what about that article made you come to that conclusion. If anything its the exact opposite.

HTC Rebuts Report It’s Paying Apple $6-$8 Per Handset Under 10-Year Licensing Deal: “It Is A Outrageous Number”, Says Chou

Yeah, the 'swipe away' gesture is pretty common in the OS in many places. You can swipe away notifications in the notification shade, and swipe away emails in the GMail app to archive or delete them.

The CEO's comment was as trust worthy as the Ars insider report. Since the CEO didn't offer a different price point, I have decided to believe the scale of this price point.

If the reported price was really incorrect, I am HTC's PR can leak a more believable price quote.

Fatalah

Is there a software-based video recording app? My rooted Incredible's stock video camera is really wonky due to lack of drivers.

Cipherr

The CEO's comment was as trust worthy as the Ars insider report. Since the CEO didn't offer a different price point, I have decided to believe the scale of this price point.

To believe WHAT scale of what price point exactly? The one the analysts made up out of thin air based on no data? As opposed to the CEO of the company that would actually know about the deal?

That's ridiculous. I mean, believe what you want, but there's much more reason to trust the words of a CEO or a person high ranked in the company than there is to take the guesswork of random analysts with no real information since the details of the cross license contract are sealed.

We don't even know who this 'insider' is.... But the mystery person holds more credibility than the CEO of HTC? C'mon now. 280 million a year doesn't even make sense, we would be able to see that on the upcoming quarterlies, and they flat out stated the amount was so small it wouldn't be noticed on any business going forward. Toss on all the info we have about the suits and HTC's unwillingness to settle with Apple prior to this, and it paints a clear picture. Whatever Apple was initially asking for, they didn't get from HTC. And it seems the only reason this deal was struck is because Apple apparently caved and asked for x-licensing plus a miniscule barely noticeable license cost. Samsung clearly wants to know also as they are asking the courts to force Apple to reveal the details of the deal to hopefully help them somehow in their case.

Keep getting sign in error on my Gnex with 4.2. Is it just me or is Google having issues?

Same on my Gnex. But not only that, I have had my phone randomly reboot about 3 or so times since 4.2 hit. And last I checked location services is still keeping the phone awake, and I agree with everyone about the Lockscreens, Im not using them. I dont mind the option, but it just mimics my homescreens, so why would I want that?

Other than that though everything is fine.

Probably stupid question and missing something but my N4 came with 5 home screens, 3 of them empty. How do I delete the empty home screens? I hold the screen and it gives me an option to add wallpaper but not delete.

Also, this news and weather app on stock Android, can I not add a few cities other than my current location to the app? On iOS I had a few cities added to the weather app.

Lastly, can I not hide apps from the app pages? Not my home screens but that complete app page where it shows all your apps. Don't know android terminology sorry :/

Using the S3 for a few days and now this N4 are my only android experiences ever. Stock android is much different than the S3 experience. For the very good and also for the bad. I'm surprised to see a few features I wanted that are on the s3 but not included on stock. Interesting.

1. You can't delete home screens on stock(stupid I know). Download Nova Launcher for that functionality, it looks exactly like stock but adds a bit of functionality.

2.I don't use that app, sorry

3. You can hide apps that came with the phone with the "disable" option. In the drawer, hold the app then drag it to "App info" where the disable button should show up. If it doesn't I believe that means you downloaded it yourself in which case just uninstall the app.

Cipherr

Its call the App Drawer on Android. But no as far as i know you cannot hide anything in the App drawer. You can uninstall it, so that it disappears, but you cant as far as I know make it invisible but still keep it on the phone. Thats the reason for the App drawer in the first place, to keep all your hundreds of app 'out of the way' of your homescreens that you navigate.

They are there when you need them, but they dont clutter your homescreens. If you want them quickly accessible, put them in a folder on one of your homescreens:

J92nVl.jpg

Hieberrr

1. Forget the stock launcher. Get either Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher. Personally, I use Apex (I bought the full version) on the N4. It gives me a lot more options and leeway yo customize my home screen to my liking (from layout space to amount of home screens).

2. I don't use the weather app, so I can't say. I use Google Now for the weather forecast.

3. The only way yo do that in the app drawer is through different launchers (the ones I mentioned before). Luckily, both look identical to the stock launcher, so you're essentially using a more feature-packed stock launcher. I'd also like to add that these launchers will let you add categories n your app drawer. For example, I have a tab called "Games" where my games show up (so they show up under "Games" but not "Apps").

Stock is really basic. Google is always playing catch up in this department. Custom ROMs are usually the best options for Android users, IMO, since developers add tonnes of features that agent native to stock.

Nicktendo86

Its call the App Drawer on Android. But no as far as i know you cannot hide anything in the App drawer. You can uninstall it, so that it disappears, but you cant as far as I know make it invisible but still keep it on the phone. Thats the reason for the App drawer in the first place, to keep all your hundreds of app 'out of the way' of your homescreens that you navigate.

They are there when you need them, but they dont clutter your homescreens. If you want them quickly accessible, put them in a folder on one of your homescreens:

J92nVl.jpg

Nova launcher let's you hide apps i in the app draw

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was against replacing anything that's not stock. But honestly, there's no reason not to use Nova when you have those desires. It's at least as good as stock.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Samsung clearly wants to know also as they are asking the courts to force Apple to reveal the details of the deal to hopefully help them somehow in their case.

The obvious 'somehow's are to prove that the patents don't have the value Apple are asking for in damages, and to show that Apple are lying through their teeth when they say the patents are too valuable to be compensated with damages, and they need a permanent injunction on sales of Samsung products that no longer infringe the damn patents anyway.

What happened? I used to like Apple. :(

Angst

Forget what you know from iOS and remember this:

You don't have to close apps, ever.
unless there's something weird going on with a buggy app

Nicktendo86

I was against replacing anything that's not stock. But honestly, there's no reason not to use Nova when you have those desires. It's at least as good as stock.

same which is why I love CyanogenMod and Nova launcher. Look like, smell like and act like stock but just has more functionalilty. If you have been following the progress of CM10.1 by the way you will see that they have mentioned the problem with the new 4.2 quick settings and how that conflicts with their power widget, they want to keep the stock look of the quick settings while making them actually useful. Cyanogen really is the complete Androind experience in my eyes and my future phones purchase decisions will be on whether it is easilly rooted and if it runs CM.

same which is why I love CyanogenMod and Nova launcher. Look like, smell like and act like stock but just has more functionalilty. If you have been following the progress of CM10.1 by the way you will see that they have mentioned the problem with the new 4.2 quick settings and how that conflicts with their power widget, they want to keep the stock look of the quick settings while making them actually useful. Cyanogen really is the complete Androind experience in my eyes and my future phones purchase decisions will be on whether it is easilly rooted and if it runs CM.

CM is a good guarantee for longer support than any official manufacturer. I had JB on my GS1 and I expect them to bring key lime pie to the Gnex if Google decides not to...

Angst

Same here, that's why I'll never buy an Exynos device again.

this_guy

Thank you :)

Honest question: is there some kind of a law that doesn't allow Google from including a smart dialer?

I've always used a third party dialar when using AOSP. Dialar One and TouchPal Dialar both have the smart dialar function. TouchPal is the one I use.

Angst

Samsung phones are very easy to root, In fact they rarely have locked bootloader.

Did you confused Sony with Samsung?
Nope, Samsung devices might be easy to root, but are horrible for open-source development. Samsung doesn't release any documentation at all so things like:

Audio
FM Radio
MHL
HW acceleration

either doesn't work at all or works badly.

See:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101093310520661581786/posts/DHg5z62CHHu

So if you like CM - stay away from Samsung.

If you're ok to use stock or a bastardized Touchwiz ROM, by all means, go ahead and get a Samsung device.

Thanks guys. I'll check out nova and apex launcher.
Forget what you know from iOS and remember this:

You don't have to close apps, ever.
unless there's something weird going on with a buggy app
The closing of apps is more an ocd thing. I'm getting better at not doing it so often though :p

I do need to forget I'm not using an iPhone anymore. I found myself pushing the home button a few times already like its a physical button instead of tapping it. Oh man am I glad to be done with that shitty home button.

tino

Banned
Nope, Samsung devices might be easy to root, but are horrible for open-source development. Samsung doesn't release any documentation at all so things like:

Audio
FM Radio
MHL
HW acceleration

either doesn't work at all or works badly.

See:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/101093310520661581786/posts/DHg5z62CHHu

So if you like CM - stay away from Samsung.

If you're ok to use stock or a bastardized Touchwiz ROM, by all means, go ahead and get a Samsung device.

I happen to not like CM. So as long as there are custom ROM options I don't care about the things you listed.

Samsung phones are very easy to root, In fact they rarely have locked bootloader.

Did you confused Sony with Samsung?

Sony are the most open when it comes to supporting the dev community.
All their phones come with unlockable bootloaders and Sony are apparently the number one contributor to aosp.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I happen to not like CM. So as long as there are custom ROM options I don't care about the things you listed.

That is the point. Custom Roms not based on touch wiz are largely going away with the exynos proliferation in Samsung devices.

Samsung claimed they were going to release the exynos source sometime at the beginning of next year I believe but gonna have to wait and see if they actually follow through.

tino

Banned
Sony are the most open when it comes to supporting the dev community.
All their phones come with unlockable bootloaders and Sony are apparently the number one contributor to aosp.

Yeah, and I still can't unlock the Xperia Play bootloader. Whos false is it? Sony is carriers little lap dog. They slaved for their corperate master.

Friends don't let friends buy Sony phones.

Hieberrr

I've always used a third party dialar when using AOSP. Dialar One and TouchPal Dialar both have the smart dialar function. TouchPal is the one I use.

Oh man, I've some of those before. Not my cup of tea.

MIUI v5 is being previewed this week or next week!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!
HYPE!

tino

Banned
That is the point. Custom Roms not based on touch wiz are largely going away with the exynos proliferation in Samsung devices.

Samsung claimed they were going to release the exynos source sometime at the beginning of next year I believe but gonna have to wait and see if they actually follow through.

You standard is stange. 1) Samsung update their rom faster than everybody else. 4.1 came out very fast for S3. 2) There are good MIUI roms, which is better thab CM.

Samsung has very decent custom rom support. alot better than HTC and Sony in fact.

Hieberrr

I don't like it either. Despite all of its improvements, it's still lacking so many logical features. Try MIUI out. I seriously urge you to do it.

Yasawas

Rooting. I used to know all this a couple of years ago when I had a Desire and discovered I loathed Sense but since then I've owned a Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus and just not bothered to do it. Now I've decided I need the SixAxis app which requires root but I might as well wait until I get the OTA to 4.2 before I do (and I'm aware they need to patch that app to work on 4.2 as well so no great hurry either way). I would prefer to do it manually as I like to know what's happening.

Is this really all there is to it? It all sounds too good to be true. Bootloader is unlocked already, so I'm really just transferring two files into /system.

Do OTAs refuse to download when rooted or do they install but remove root which would presumably just mean I need to do the above again? I've seen people posting rooted ROMs on XDA after an update but would prefer not to rely on them if I could do it myself.

Doopliss

You standard is stange. 1) Samsung update their rom faster than everybody else. 4.1 came out very fast for S3. 2) There are good MIUI roms, which is better thab CM.

Samsung has very decent custom rom support. alot better than HTC and Sony in fact.
1) Not as fast as Cyanogenmod or other AOSP based ROMs, and you can't count on long-term support - GS1 was abandoned on Gingerbread, GS2 is getting 4.1 but it's currently still on ICS (which I would not call fast updating).
2) With these framework-hacked ROMs you are reliant on Samsung for updated versions of Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom