• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusRJR

What's a good $200-$500 phone that I could either buy unlocked or easily unlock myself? I was thinking of getting a Nexus 4 but they seem hard to find. Plus, having the back glass makes me scared it'll crack. Anything else out there that is good?

I'm in Canada if that matters.

Hieberrr

What's a good $200-$500 phone that I could either buy unlocked or easily unlock myself? I was thinking of getting a Nexus 4 but they seem hard to find. Plus, having the back glass makes me scared it'll crack. Anything else out there that is good?

N4, Galaxy Nexus, S3 (check kijiji and rfd), iono, with that budget you can get most phones lol.

Zozz

Banned
Just got this bad boy yesterday.
htc-evo-4g-lte-white-6301.jpg

Salesman paused and said "Are you sure you don't want the S3?"

Yea.... I'm sure buddy haha

Coming from a Nexus S... I'm due for a faster phone now.

tino

Banned

With 500 you can buy either the S3 or Note 2. Both will have excellent resell value. For used, probably a One X? Or Razr Maxx is pretty cool.

MarkusRJR

With 500 you can buy either the S3 or Note 2. Both will have excellent resell value. For used, probably a One X? Or Razr Maxx is pretty cool.
No way in hell I can purchase any of those in my price range range. Every phone is more expensive up here because Canada sucks for phones.

Cipherr

Sexiest goddamn phone of the year. Jesus that thing is great looking. I absolutely love the snow white and silver look.

This version of the browser doesn't do it.

I pretty much have to use Chrome on CM10.

I have already tried cleaning data and cache.

Its there a way to download it separately and I will install it again with root explorer.

you can try grabbing the AOSP browser apk from somewhere and then putting it in the /system/app/ folder and setting permissions to rw-r--r--

he was trying to help you. i mean, did they give you a $100 credit or something?

Haters gonna haaaaaaaaaaaaate! The Evo4GLTE in particular stacks up pretty well against the S3. It has a better battery, design and a MicroSD slot with a dedicated shutter button etc. Its a better phone than the OneX.

choosing between 2GB of RAM and a replaceable battery vs 1GB RAM and a Kickstand is not a tough choice.

Cipherr

choosing between 2GB of RAM and a replaceable battery vs 1GB RAM and a Kickstand is not a tough choice.

LCD3 versus Pentile. Design and Build Quality, the camera is supposedly pretty equal between them. I mean, overall I still give the nudge to the S3, but baaaaaaaaaaaarely against the EVOLTE, and I can totally see the advantages the Evo has winning some folks over. That strange seemingly last minute decision to stuff 2GB of ram into the U.S. Galaxy S3 models was pretty damn pimp though. That is sort of the nudge that puts it over IMO.

LCD3 versus Pentile. Design and Build Quality, the camera is supposedly pretty equal between them. I mean, overall I still give the nudge to the S3, but baaaaaaaaaaaarely against the EVOLTE, and I can totally see the advantages the Evo has winning some folks over. That strange seemingly last minute decision to stuff 2GB of ram into the U.S. Galaxy S3 models was pretty damn pimp though. That is sort of the nudge that puts it over IMO.

the dedicated shutter button is pretty nice.

this_guy

Had the EVO LTE for a few months, but just swapped to a Galaxy S3. The EVO is nice, but it sucks at maintaining a weak 4g signal. google it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

It's Super LCD2 not 3. 3 is the screen in the Verizon DNA.

Zozz

Banned
I'll look into the 4G signal issue, I'm in the Minneapolis market, LTE is probably going to roll in around February.

There were a lot of reasons I choose it over the S3. First, the design was a huge factor for me; the white and silver on this phone is to die for. It has a nice solid feel, well constructed and actually feels durable. Leagues ahead of the plastic design of the Nexus S and S3 that Samsung ran with. Love the soft keys and enjoy the programmable multi task key (can function as the menu key) The kick stand is a nice hardware plus and I'm so glad to have an SD card slot again!! missed it!

The screen is probably the best of any smartphone, I compared it to the S3, iPhone 5 and LG Optimus G and it just stood out. Color reproduction is just superb, it really does a good job distinguishing it from other phones.

Software wise, It's still runing ICS tho it looks like somewhere this week the device should get JB (perfect timing) I'm enjoying Sense, I used to have the Droid Incredible, so I'm used to it, I prefer what HTC does to Android way more than Samsung. I'll be rooting it and slapping CM10 once there's a stable. It's smooth, with JB it should be better, I saw what it did with my Nexus S and on my roomates Galaxy Nexus, can't wait for it.

Camera on this phone is amazing!! the camera app is phenomenal, I find that pictures just came out better with the Evo. Love there is a shutter button, what I've always wanted, and with burst mode, I don't have to worry about that blurry shot that can usually come from camera buttons moving the phone.

The S3 was running at $48 at Best Buy and the Evo has run at $99 for a while. Pricing was not the issue, I just ran with what made better sense to me and I'm ultimately happy.

I'll look into the 4G signal issue, I'm in the Minneapolis market, LTE is probably going to roll in around February.

There were a lot of reasons I choose it over the S3. First, the design was a huge factor for me; the white and silver on this phone is to die for. It has a nice solid feel, well constructed and actually feels durable. Leagues ahead of the plastic design of the Nexus S and S3 that Samsung ran with. Love the soft keys and enjoy the programmable multi task key (can function as the menu key) The kick stand is a nice hardware plus and I'm so glad to have an SD card slot again!! missed it!

The screen is probably the best of any smartphone, I compared it to the S3, iPhone 5 and LG Optimus G and it just stood out. Color reproduction is just superb, it really does a good job distinguishing it from other phones.

Software wise, It's still runing ICS tho it looks like somewhere this week the device should get JB (perfect timing) I'm enjoying Sense, I used to have the Droid Incredible, so I'm used to it, I prefer what HTC does to Android way more than Samsung. I'll be rooting it and slapping CM10 once there's a stable. It's smooth, with JB it should be better, I saw what it did with my Nexus S and on my roomates Galaxy Nexus, can't wait for it.

Camera on this phone is amazing!! the camera app is phenomenal, I find that pictures just came out better with the Evo. Love there is a shutter button, what I've always wanted, and with burst mode, I don't have to worry about that blurry shot that can usually come from camera buttons moving the phone.

The S3 was running at $48 at Best Buy and the Evo has run at $99 for a while. Pricing was not the issue, I just ran with what made better sense to me and I'm ultimately happy.

The EVO has a great design. The JB update should fix a lot of the bugs on the phone. (memory management, contacts slowdown, 4g signal)

The EVO has a great design. The JB update should fix a lot of the bugs on the phone. (memory management, contacts slowdown, 4g signal)

Starting with ICS, the way Sense "fixes" memory management is by only allowing 5 concurrent apps. The High-Tech Computer Corporation comes up with the most high-tech solutions to problems.

Can someone tell me how to find this sound recorder app that comes on my nexus 4? It's not in my apps locker. Quickoffice is another one I'm trying to find to put on my home screen.

http://imgur.com/LYY9L.png

I'm reasonably certain that's used for various voice actions, such as offline typing, Google search, Google now etc. There isn't a sepearate voice recording app as such. Plenty of options in the Play Store though.

There is no quick office app as such, Google bought them in the middle of this year. I'd either expect to see the Drive app updated with their work at some point or a dedicated office app in the next version of Android.

I'm reasonably certain that's used for various voice actions, such as offline typing, Google search, Google now etc. There isn't a sepearate voice recording app as such. Plenty of options in the Play Store though.

There is no quick office app as such, Google bought them in the middle of next year. I'd either expect to see the Drive app updated with their work at some point or a dedicated office app in the next version of Android.
Ah okay. Its quite small at 4kb so makes sense its not the full on app I thought it may be. Do you know anything about quick office? The only time I ever got it to open was when I opened a pdf from dropbox. A quick office app does exist at least on my stock android on the nexus4.

Screencap quickoffice: http://imgur.com/cjGk3.png

Ah okay. Its quite small at 4kb so makes sense its not the full on app I thought it may be. Do you know anything about quick office? The only time I ever got it to open was when I opened a pdf from dropbox. A quick office app does exist at least on my stock android on the nexus4.

Screencap quickoffice: http://imgur.com/cjGk3.png

That's interesting. But it doesn't appear in your app drawer? I'd expect it to be rebranded. Not appearing in my stock 4.2 build on my HSPA Galaxy Nexus.

It was a fully fledged office app. Word processing, spreadsheets etc etc. Maybe it's just there for now to allow you to open Microsoft and open office files.

That's interesting. But it doesn't appear in your app drawer? I'd expect it to be rebranded. Not appearing in my stock 4.2 build on my HSPA Galaxy Nexus.
Nope that's the thing, I am trying to add it to my home screen but its not in my app drawer. It seems to be a system default app to open certain files like PDF and thats all I've been able to do with it. I can't seem to find a way to add to my home screen. Bizarre.

who needs a shutter button when the GS3 can take pics by just saying "shoot"

I was a big HTC fanboy but the GS3 is just a better phone. Does HTC even plan on putting out a 4.1 update this year??

i gotta give credit when due. the 2 stage button on my Epic is pretty sweet, it's something i don't even think about until someone else asks me to take a pic with their phone then i'm like "oh.."

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I was a big HTC fanboy but the GS3 is just a better phone. Does HTC even plan on putting out a 4.1 update this year??

4.1 update is out for certain HTC phones already. Just not out to everyone, but that's the same as the GS3. Non Nexus phones even the big ones always get the shaft in certain parts of the world.

tino

Banned
4.1 update is out for certain HTC phones already. Just not out to everyone, but that's the same as the GS3. Non Nexus phones even the big ones always get the shaft in certain parts of the world.

But 4.2 is not even a good update. I don't see the advantage of getting 4.2 early. Google basically pay you to have the Nexus 4 (for cheap) and beta test for them.

Zozz

Banned

HTC has 4.1 on several phones, the Evo should be getting 4.1 within a weeks time frame if all these rumors are an indication. The design language on both the OneX and Evo are leagues of what Samsung has offered with the S3, I'm just sick of plastic phones.

Oyashiro

I've tried stock browser, Chrome, and Dolphin. So far, my favorite is definitely Dolphin. Fast, nice interface, gestures, all that good stuff. If it had tab syncing, it would be perfect.

Nicktendo86

There is no quick office app as such, Google bought them in the middle of this year. I'd either expect to see the Drive app updated with their work at some point or a dedicated office app in the next version of Android.

There is a sperate app i have it on cm10

gcubed

But 4.2 is not even a good update. I don't see the advantage of getting 4.2 early. Google basically pay you to have the Nexus 4 (for cheap) and beta test for them.

yeah, no one wants 4.2... you should be happy you will skip it

apparently some posters have been going up at facebook

406840_10151466167989705_1318554736_n.png

Cipherr

I love how its like a cult war lol.

Seems like its just them moving to support and test their Android apps better because of the massive marketshare Android has now. Too big to ignore.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/24/facebook-droidfooding/
“In the early days we gave employees iPhones primarily”, a Facebook spokesperson tells me. That decision and the rise of Android has left Facebook scrambling to get employees dogfooding its apps for Google’s OS. Now the company’s headquarters is plastered with these eye-popping posters asking Facebookers to “switch today”, and fix Android flaws with its secret bug reporting tool “Rage Shake”.

Facebook is making a shift. Not just to mobile, but to a balanced focus across mobile through an informal program to nudge employees to Android. It was first mentioned by Business Insider’s Owen Thomas in August and I’ve since investigated. The campaign casually known as “Droidfooding”, a portmanteau of Android and dogfooding — eating your own dogfood aka testing your own products.

tino

Banned
yeah, no one wants 4.2... you should be happy you will skip it

apparently some posters have been going up at facebook

Come back and talk to me when ICS Browser+ is supported, and they get rip of the ugly clock font. Not to mention most of the launchers don't work.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hello friends.

After the last 6-7 years I have finally removed myself from the shackles that was the Blackberry and have got myself a Note 2. Only had it for a few hours but I am loving it.

I've perused the other android threads for apps but any one app I really should have?

Mind you I'm also in Canada.

jokkir

Hello friends.

After the last 6-7 years I have finally removed myself from the shackles that was the Blackberry and have got myself a Note 2. Only had it for a few hours but I am loving it.

I've perused the other android threads for apps but any one app I really should have?

TorontoBusMap since you're in Toronto :p It'll give you a map of where the buses are so you can time when you should leave your home.

If you're rooted, Titanium Backup. It's pretty much mandatory when you flash roms since it makes setting up your phone so much faster.

Not rooted... maybe Apex Launcher/Nova Launcher. Makes the homescreen so much nicer looking (assuming you have Touchwiz skin on your Note 2) and more options for customization

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hello friends.

KAVE_MAN!

Did you see my thread? You should go to my thread!

Also Pocket, pocket is awesome

Rdio is pretty great for music too

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
IMO Currents is better in terms of ease and simplicity.

I don't know, they're not the same type of app at all. I use pocket to save random articles I want to read that I stumble upon around the net. Currents is for stuff I read regularly from my feeds. Also Pocket has native TTS, and I've installed a custom voice for it, so now a british lady reads back all my articles for me.

besiktas1

I'm stumped. Help please.

When I go away, I have no internet/wifi/laptop.
My ipad is a shitty 16gb, with the games and that on it has next to no space left.
My One X has 32gb.
If I put films on my Android phone is there a way of transferring these files over to watch off Oplayeron my ipad?
edit: Oh and my One X isn't rooted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom