• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

er, are these screenshots of the app on the Play Store representative of how it would look on the Note 2?

:/ all the Android transit apps are ugly. Even Google hasn't updated the navigation in Maps to a holo style.

No idea if that's how it looks on the Note 2 but it's such a useful app. Probably one of my most used other than the internet browser and reddit sync

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
i gotta give credit when due. the 2 stage button on my Epic is pretty sweet, it's something i don't even think about until someone else asks me to take a pic with their phone then i'm like "oh.."

I had a camera button on my Evo 3D and I don't think I used it once.
It's not so much the actual phone I don't like. HTC phones are pretty solid. It's the software.
They promised the 3D would be one of the first phones to get 4.0 and it took nearly 9 months to get 4.0 out.

It's also the internal storage space issue. Always a pain with HTC.

4.1 update is out for certain HTC phones already. Just not out to everyone, but that's the same as the GS3. Non Nexus phones even the big ones always get the shaft in certain parts of the world.

I was on the HTC hype train when they released the Thunderbolt for Verizon. It was a flagship phone that barely got 2.3. that phone had specs that could run 2.3+ easy but HTC gives up on their product once it's out of the 3 month newness range.

Just downloaded apex and nova launchers to test them out. Wow! Is it just me or is Apex faster than the stock nexus 4 launcher? Might be placebo but it certainly is no slower. Apex just felt nicer to me than nova. I'm still testing them out but I think I may stick with apex and buy the pro version unless there are any objections or things I should know about from people who have more experience with one or both.

Just downloaded apex and nova launchers to test them out. Wow! Is it just me or is Apex faster than the stock nexus 4 launcher? Might be placebo but it certainly is no slower. Apex just felt nicer to me than nova. I'm still testing them out but I think I may stick with apex and buy the pro version unless there are any objections or things I should know about from people who have more experience with one or both.

I bought Nova prime during the 25 cent sale. I don't know why htc or samsung doesn't buy them out. It's simple to use & fast

Hieberrr

I have both. I slghtly prefer Apex over Nova, but the only downside is that I can't resize the picture frames widget. With Nova, I hate the indicator in the app drawer (that little triangle).

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with either. They're pretty much the same, IMO.

I bought Nova prime during the 25 cent sale. I don't know why htc or samsung doesn't buy them out. It's simple to use & fast

I have both. I slghtly prefer Apex over Nova, but the only downside is that I can't resize the picture frames widget. With Nova, I hate the indicator in the app drawer (that little triangle).

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with either. They're pretty much the same, IMO.
They pretty much are the same. I stuck with apex for now. I really don't desperately need any of the features to be honest. Renamed a few apps that were horribly capitalized (a pet peeve of mine) and changed the ugly icon of the Retune app to the same one as the official apple remote app icon. None of these things were huge deals to me but I figured why not. I think my most wanted feature is in the pro version and that is the badge notifications. That's the only thing I miss from iOS. I wonder if they work well. Oh and I deleted a few home screens I wasn't using. Other than that I'm all stock and loving it.

One last thing I wouldn't mind is changing my lock screen wallpaper. I knew stock was bare bones but I didn't think it was THAT bare bones to not include such a feature.

They pretty much are the same. I stuck with apex for now. I really don't desperately need any of the features to be honest. Renamed a few apps that were horribly capitalized (a pet peeve of mine) and changed the ugly icon of the Retune app to the same one as the official apple remote app icon. None of these things were huge deals to me but I figured why not. I think my most wanted feature is in the pro version and that is the badge notifications. That's the only thing I miss from iOS. I wonder if they work well. Oh and I deleted a few home screens I wasn't using. Other than that I'm all stock and loving it.

One last thing I wouldn't mind is changing my lock screen wallpaper. I knew stock was bare bones but I didn't think it was THAT bare bones to not include such a feature.

for some reason i started getting some lag with apex... moved to Nova and am now lag free. i own the pro versions of each (because of that .25 cent sale) but i will stick with nova for now or at least until i figure out why apex was lagging...

not sure why i went with apex over nova in the first place but who knows maybe i'll just stick with nova until i get some lag or something...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I finally said funk it yesterday as I had some free time. This turned onto a larger proiject that originally intended partly because of what the project entailed and partly because I'm just dumb/clueless sometimes.

At anyrate I decided to hack my One X(L) which is sort of a pain in the arse with the locked bootloader and all. Granted that wasn't as big of a deal, but the 4.0.4 update made it even more of a pain in the arse to unlock. Got that bitch unlocked then rooted. I used a combo of just Linux commands + this all in one tool kit this dude has made and modified to fit a ton of HTC phones. Tool Kit was a Windows only thing though.

Ended up using the recovery software to Flash CM10. So maybe Android/Tech - GAF can welcome me into their fold since I'm not running HTC's Sense anymore. Got tired of waiting and waiting for the One X(L) to get a JB release anywhere in the world quiet honestly to just know it was really coming.

Had problems installing CM errr well CM installed fine, but it kept hanging on boot. Then finally realized I needed to load that boot.img that came in the CM10 zip 1st. Boom it magically worked, I flashed CM10 Stable for my Device since CM10 just hit stable this month (I'm not a big fan of really early ROMs) so I figured now was the perfect time to try this.

gcubed

Ha brettison... its a slippery road! Enjoy mostly stock Android, be wowed by not having all your programs shut down in the background by HTC.

Alucrid

Banned
So Google Music keeps skipping, even when playing downloaded songs. Any idea how to fix this? I'm guessing it's an issue with the player. Any idea how to get Google Music downloaded songs to appear in other players?

Only music stored locally will appear in other players. Anything stored in the Google Music cloud will not, the cloud isn't available to other players. Being able to use another player is yet another argument for local storage of your music. Somewhere Bboy AJ is foaming at the mouth.

Alucrid

Banned
Only music stored locally will appear in other players. Anything stored in the Google Music cloud will not, the cloud isn't available to other players. Being able to use another player is yet another argument for local storage of your music. Somewhere Bboy AJ is foaming at the mouth.
No, I mean music I download from Google Music onto my phone. It is local, it's just only showing up in the Google player

gcubed

No, I mean music I download from Google Music onto my phone. It is local, it's just only showing up in the Google player

i would assume its not in the media folder? Thats where the scanner process pulls it from, it would have to be moved there. Without rooting, i'm not sure how you would do it without actually having to move files

Blackhead

Redarse
What is holo style?

UI Overview | Android Developers

Android niceties

Holo Everywhere

What It Should Have Been:
Holo Everywhere said:
FaceBook
ibp31MWnhOdCYr.jpg

Instagram
ibwBMiimQbkfWP.png

3G Watchdog
ikdzKbzve39kQ.png

Turntable
ibrGTi6zEQ9sg.png

Vanillalite

Ha brettison... its a slippery road! Enjoy mostly stock Android, be wowed by not having all your programs shut down in the background by HTC.

I wasn't even one that really had a problem with Sense 4.0 feature set persay. It was more the fact that I felt like I was needlessly waiting on performance increases introduced by Google 6 months after the fact with no update in site.

That being said as I said above I'm not one to really go for early phone ROMs, and since I didn't really mind Sense 4 I rode it out. Plus the bootlader got a bitch and a half harder to unlock if you updated the stock firmware to 4.0.4 like I had already done. So I had to wait for that to get figure out anyways.

CM10 finally went "Stable" though so I figured it might be time. I gave HTC a few more weeks to see if even the usual leaked testing firmware would leak out to let me know the XL JB rom is coming, but instead we got speculation the rom was delayed even further. Add to the fact that I gave the "Stable" version of CM10 a few weeks to gather positive impressions I finally passed the tipping point. Only negative thing was some comments that they thought their battery drained faster, but it was very YMMV comment wise.

It's worth noting to that I'm not a person that has to have stock ergo why I wasn't already on the CM bandwagon with CM9, and without an XL JB Firmware leak to pull from a lot of the initial rush of JB roms from over the summer were half baked.

gcubed

I wasn't even one that really had a problem with Sense 4.0 feature set persay. It was more the fact that I felt like I was needlessly waiting on performance increases introduced by Google 6 months after the fact with no update in site.

That being said as I said above I'm not one to really go for early phone ROMs, and since I didn't really mind Sense 4 I rode it out. Plus the bootlader got a bitch and a half harder to unlock if you updated the stock firmware to 4.0.4 like I had already done. So I had to wait for that to get figure out anyways.

CM10 finally went "Stable" though so I figured it might be time. I gave HTC a few more weeks to see if even the usual leaked testing firmware would leak out to let me know the XL JB rom is roming, but instead we got speculation the ROM was delayed even further. Add to the fact that I gave the "Stable" version of CM10 a few weeks to gather positive impressions I finally passed the tipping point. Only negative thing was some comments that they thought their battery drained faster, but it was very YMMV comment wise.

It's worth noting to that I'm not a person that has to have stock ergo why I wasn't already on the CM bandwagon with CM9, and without an XL JB Firmware leak to pull from a lot of the initial rush of JB roms from over the summer were half baked.

you'll be ruined most likely now though. I don't really like playing around with big ROMs too much after my nexus 1 (they are never as stable as stock nexus), so i had to split the difference and I just stay nexus now to get my unfiltered love.

ut for different size screens as well as resolution. This is all built in, but there are a few things developers need to declare in their code to make the app look good. The thing to keep in mind is how screen size and density will change the look of the app. The Droid DNA has a higher-res screen than the Motorola XOOM tablet, but we don't want to see a tablet layout for apps on the phone-sized screen.

A developer needs to provide assets (images) that are high enough quality to look sharp at high resolution (never mind insanely high resolution), and be sure to use density independent pixel units when designing their layout. This is what keeps things like buttons and other controls from being really big on low density screens like the Galaxy S2, or from being really tiny on high density screens like the DNA.

It sounds complicated, but most of this stuff is done for you when coding an app. All the developer needs to do is make the right declarations, and provide the right assets to support any size (both physical and resolution) or layout. Even multiple layout apps like the Google+ app use the same code to cover every conceivable screen.

We're not trying to judge developers here. Writing apps is tough. The Android developers have been preaching all this since the release of Gingerbread, but how practical is it? We asked a few developers about it, see what they had to say after the break.

http://www.androidcentral.com/tackling-fragmentation-supporting-multiple-screens

good stuff! especially this:

It's not difficult at all. Seriously. The difficult part come when the customer asks to get away from those guidelines!

I remember a customer that wanted me to put tabs on the bottom of the screen, iPhone buttons everywhere, iPhone-style toggle and this project was really hard to achieve and I really lost a lot of time and money on it.

come on aokp release that 4.2 update...

they are probably having some delays because they got hacked... i need a new stable-ish rom to flash... the last night i tried for my one x (i think it was nov 13th) was buggy as shit and my signal kept dropping...

anyone else with a one xl flashing different radios?? i think i still have the 2.20 radio, and am itching to try a new one, but that seems to be the newest US radio (i know other radios will work, just get that warm feeling from the AT&T radios).

i'm willing to change now though as I get a lot of dropped signals for no reason (because i know i have good coverage)

this may or may not have to do with the radio, but the ROM in general.

Chinner

Banned
girlfriend got the xperia u. it's a surprisingly good phone considering the price! makes me tempted to switch to andriod once my iphone contract is up.

Vanillalite

come on aokp release that 4.2 update...

they are probably having some delays because they got hacked... i need a new stable-ish rom to flash... the last night i tried for my one x (i think it was nov 13th) was buggy as shit and my signal kept dropping...

anyone else with a one xl flashing different radios?? i think i still have the 2.20 radio, and am itching to try a new one, but that seems to be the newest US radio (i know other radios will work, just get that warm feeling from the AT&T radios).

i'm willing to change now though as I get a lot of dropped signals for no reason (because i know i have good coverage)

this may or may not have to do with the radio, but the ROM in general.

I have a One X on AT&T aka the One XL internationally and I haven't had any signal problems on the initial 4.0.1 Sense ROM, the 4.0.4 Sense Update, or CM10.

Take that for what you will. Could just be you small manufacturing differences between our phones. Could be my carrier verses yours or my area verses yours.

I know you mentioned AOKP and not sure if you're running that already or some other ROM as you mentioned your signal issue might be the ROM in general.

That being said I've been highly satisified with my 1st days use of my One X(L) using CM10 Stable. It's only Android 4.1.2, but that's still pretty solid. Plus the nightlighties for CM10.1 are already being based off of Android 4.2. If you are bootloader unlocked and you have a recovery tool installed it might be worth it to back up your stuff and check another ROM to see if that fixes your issue. Just check XDA to see whatever issues your might run into depending upon what ROM you flash be it Clean or CM or AOKP or whatever.

I'm probably the only other big poster here with a One X(L), but ask away if you need to compare anything between our phones.

I have a One X on AT&T aka the One XL internationally and I haven't had any signal problems on the initial 4.0.1 Sense ROM, the 4.0.4 Sense Update, or CM10.

Take that for what you will. Could just be you small manufacturing differences between our phones. Could be my carrier verses yours or my area verses yours.

I know you mentioned AOKP and not sure if you're running that already or some other ROM as you mentioned your signal issue might be the ROM in general.

That being said I've been highly satisified with my 1st days use of my One X(L) using CM10 Stable. It's only Android 4.1.2, but that's still pretty solid. Plus the nightlighties for CM10.1 are already being based off of Android 4.2. If you are bootloader unlocked and you have a recovery tool installed it might be worth it to back up your stuff and check another ROM to see if that fixes your issue. Just check XDA to see whatever issues your might run into depending upon what ROM you flash be it Clean or CM or AOKP or whatever.

I'm probably the only other big poster here with a One X(L), but ask away if you need to compare anything between our phones.

i'm on at&t and it was a launch One X.

can't remember when this problem started...i've been having signal drops since i was using the atrix, but it has almost always been the ROMs and not the service. usually a reboot fixes the problem, but it has started to get really annoying lately. will probably just wait until another aokp build releases, then reflash radios and kernels and start from there...

i think shin has a one x too, not sure if he still uses it though as he goes through phones like water... him and dr. funk

Like I said if it gets bad, and you can't wait I am super happy with CM10 stable on my One X.

trying to resist the cm10.

ultimately i don't even know if i would know the difference... it's not like i theme or anything... should probably just switch to cm10. is there any other reason to stick with aokp besides theming(and an obvious affinity for both unicorns and swagger)?

May I ask you folks what the general consensus is on this phone?

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/htc-one-v-phone/features/

The HTC One V.

I wouldn't be much of a 'power user', so to speak. No rooting or anything fancy. Basically just whatever stock experience it comes with out of the box. Been looking to get a phone for awhile, but I've always been turned off by the expensive plans that come with them. But... unlimited data and messaging, with 300 anytime minutes is all I'd need, and $35 a month is something I'd be comfortable paying.

Just not sure about how good the phone is, and if $50 is a decent price for it.

Vanillalite

trying to resist the cm10.

ultimately i don't even know if i would know the difference... it's not like i theme or anything... should probably just switch to cm10. is there any other reason to stick with aokp besides theming(and an obvious affinity for both unicorns and swagger)?

Supposedly there isn't much. I googled when I was ROM looking. They seemed similar with people getting similar results with both on different devices. Of course you had people liking both, and swearing one worked better than the other for them.

Still seemed to be not a ton different to your average person flashing. I just ended up picking CM since 10 just hit stable and I wanted a stable experience.

just one of those things i guess.

i tried paranoid, and while i could appreciate what it was trying to do, it didn't do what i wanted it to.

not even on my N7.

i'm gonna put stock back on my n7. Not sure if i will keep it either. i'm going to get the n10 soon. what will i do with two tablets? probably nothing. i should sell it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Made the jump from iPhone to Galaxy S3, any apps I have to have, or any list I can go through of must haves? Also where can I get different themes / how do I apply them?

Vanillalite

The HTC One V.

I wouldn't be much of a 'power user', so to speak. No rooting or anything fancy. Basically just whatever stock experience it comes with out of the box. Been looking to get a phone for awhile, but I've always been turned off by the expensive plans that come with them. But... unlimited data and messaging, with 300 anytime minutes is all I'd need, and $35 a month is something I'd be comfortable paying.

It's single core with only 512 RAM trying to run Sense 4.0. That being said you're basically buying an unlocked phone for $50.

IDK... I'd try and see if you can spend a tad more and get something better used. If you'd be willing I'm sure you could snag a used Galaxy Nexus from some Android dude who just has to have the latest and greatest and is updating to the Nexus 4.

Honestly call me crazy, but I wonder if a phone like this wouldn't run better on a stable Gingerbread ROM.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

The HTC One V.

Bad.

Made the jump from iPhone to Galaxy S3, any apps I have to have, or any list I can go through of must haves? Also where can I get different themes / how do I apply them?

welcome.

question... was there anything on iOS that you used all the time or have to have for the GSIII?

let us know if you run into any speed bumps

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/...hone/features/

The HTC One V.

ehhh I'll say thumbs down.

Okay, so the consensus is no!

I will wait until something else comes along. I am in no rush.

Anything I should be looking out for? (That will work with Virgin Mobile, of course.)

i think some people here must have missed it being $50 on prepaid or something...

outside of other Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals, nothing else will come close as far as prepaid phones go.

Used Galaxy Nexus? $300 on ebay.

Nexus 4? $500 on discount deal websites.

with that said, while i hate to suggest HTC, the Evo V 4G is $150 right now and a lot better than the One V!

there's always the GSII for $300 and iPhone 4S for $450...

tino

Banned
Okay, so the consensus is no!

I will wait until something else comes along. I am in no rush.

Anything I should be looking out for? (That will work with Virgin Mobile, of course.)

You missed out a 2012 model phone for 50 bux.

Althought I doubt it was still on sale 3 hours ago.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
welcome.

question... was there anything on iOS that you used all the time or have to have for the GSIII?

let us know if you run into any speed bumps
All I used was twitter, facebook, standard stuff this across all phones. I'm digging the customization so far, just wondering where a good place is to look for themes and wallpapers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom