• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

Eh, the One V looks fine for me as a cheap beginners phone. I'd personally say the Evo V is worth the extra $100 because I love having 4G speeds on my phone but that depends on whether or not your area has coverage.

Like Faceless Master said, there's not a lot of other options on Virgin, unless you're okay with the considerably high prices of the S2 and the 4S.

Oh for 50 bucks it isn't bad. I did miss that part. I don't like the phone overall, but for 50 bucks, who cares lol. I'm sure you'll get your moneys worth.

I wouldn't get it at 150 though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Problem is I just don't want him to be frustrated with the experience they might get irregardless of the price. Not everyone needs the latest and greatest, but I do think there is a minimum experience bar that needs to be met.

It's only $50 though so what the hell. It's not a bad phone. It's just spec wise more equivalent to a GS1, and people here are speculating on the GS4 already....

Well, I'm probably not really the type to be upgrading phones a lot, so from what you guys are saying, it's probably a better idea to wait, spend a little more, and grab something a little better.

guys... say he waits a year... that $200 phone that's $50 on Cyber Monday will be a dual core GS2/EVO3D level device and we'll be talking about how that is low end and how quad core A15 bigLITTLE architecture is awesome and how 768MB or 1GB of RAM is not enough to run Key Lime Pie properly.

OG Kush

Do you not get phones for free in the US? Atleat here in the UK you can find plenty of contract deals where the phone is free, might have to payer a higher monthly contract for the newer phones if you want them free, but I'm pretty damn sure the GS2 you'll get decent contract deals with the phone being free.

Vanillalite

guys... say he waits a year... that $200 phone that's $50 on Cyber Monday will be a dual core GS2/EVO3D level device and we'll be talking about how that is low end and how quad core A15 bigLITTLE architecture is awesome and how 768MB or 1GB of RAM is not enough to run Key Lime Pie properly.

I disagree. There is a line that needs to be crossed with certain hardware to be used to do basic tasks.

For example that line was crossed for desktops once we hit the dual core era for most people or once most desktop users got 2 gigs of RAM.

In iPhone land this happened with the iPhone 4 for basic tasks. In Android land I'd say this happened with the GS2 era of phones.

I disagree. There is a line that needs to be crossed with certain hardware to be used to do basic tasks.

For example that line was crossed for desktops once we hit the dual core era for most people or once most desktop users got 2 gigs of RAM.

In iPhone land this happened with the iPhone 4 for basic tasks. In Android land I'd say this happened with the GS2 era of phones.

yeah, what i'm saying is the line moves and next year the line will be pushed up a gen.

Do you not get phones for free in the US? Atleat here in the UK you can find plenty of contract deals where the phone is free, might have to payer a higher monthly contract for the newer phones if you want them free, but I'm pretty damn sure the GS2 you'll get decent contract deals with the phone being free.

he's talking off contract... how much is an HTC One V in the UK with no contract? it's $50 USD for the next 15 minutes... or maybe 3:15.. dunno when they change prices...

Vanillalite

yeah, what i'm saying is the line moves and next year the line will be pushed up a gen.

he's talking off contract... how much is an HTC One V in the UK with no contract? it's $50 USD for the next 15 minutes... or maybe 3:15.. dunno when they change prices...

The line doesn't move though. The same tasks are going to be done. The line isn't moving for PCs. Any laptop with a c2d era cpu and 2 gigs of ram is going to be perfectly fine for the average dumb users tasks.

I'd say the same thing for mobile. Basic core tasks won't really change next year if you're just listening to music, checking fb, browsing the web, and grabbing e-mail from time to time beyond calling/texting. That line isn't going to move. I just feel you need GS2 level hardware Android wise verses GS1 level hardware. Just like I feel in iPhone land they've reached it with the iPhone 4. Sure the 3GS should in theory be cheaper, but I wouldn't believe it's core competency is up to the base level for everyday tasks.

The line doesn't move though. The same tasks are going to be done. The line isn't moving for PCs. Any laptop with a c2d era cpu and 2 gigs of ram is going to be perfectly fine for the average dumb users tasks.

I'd say the same thing for mobile. Basic core tasks won't really change next year if you're just listening to music, checking fb, browsing the web, and grabbing e-mail from time to time beyond calling/texting. That line isn't going to move. I just feel you need GS2 level hardware Android wise verses GS1 level hardware. Just like I feel in iPhone land they've reached it with the iPhone 4. Sure the 3GS should in theory be cheaper, but I wouldn't believe it's core competency is up to the base level for everyday tasks.

but all that stuff you talked about works just as well on GS1 level hardware. the line is really at a level below that, the previous gen subGhz old ARMv6 that couldn't run Flash or play Temple Run...

Question. I'm about to root my Droid 3. However, I left the charger cable that came with the phone in my office at work. I do have another USB cord, but it's an old cable and acting weird. When I plug it up to the computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. All the phone will do is charge. It doesn't give me the option to mount it. Is it safe to use the cable or should I just play it safe and use the official cable?

Donos

I kind of agree with you. Now with my One X i hit i level i can stay longer without the need to upgrade.
Yes i'm a gadget/tech geek who always likes new shiny stuff but i just wanted a responsive and fast phone. Not for games but for everything else. My Desire HD was close to it but slowdowns, waiting time while starting apps/multitastking etc. all annoyed me.
Now it's smooth overall and i'm satisfied.
The next octa-core phone won't make a big improvement over "high-end" phones out now for the core tasks. Hooray when you can play Crysis on your phone in 3 years but gaming ist still PC/console for me and not the casual Ski Safari run while shitting.

Vanillalite

Question. I'm about to root my Droid 3. However, I left the charger cable that came with the phone in my office at work. I do have another USB cord, but it's an old cable and acting weird. When I plug it up to the computer, the computer doesn't recognize it. All the phone will do is charge. It doesn't give me the option to mount it. Is it safe to use the cable or should I just play it safe and use the official cable?

I'd play it safe and just wait it out. One day won't kill you.

What's this battery drain thing? I get better battery on 4.2 on my Galaxy Nexus. Nexus 7 I see no obvious difference.

Google services drains my battery while the screen is locked. When I turn off location services then I get 4.1.2 battery levels on both N7 and Gnex (but with Location services turned on on 4.1.2). There is an open issue at code.google.com for this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
There's huge battery drain on my Nexus 7 - only lasts 1-2 days now. Before, it lasted about 4-5 days on the same usage.

There's huge battery drain on my Nexus 7 - only lasts 1-2 days now. Before, it lasted about 4-5 days on the same usage.

4-5 days? Do you actually ever have it off standby? I use mines so heavily that I need to charge it everyday. Home > phone away, Nexus 7 out. I do almost all my browsing/reading on my tablet now. Laptop is a rooting/storage device.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
4-5 days? Do you actually ever have it off standby? I use mines so heavily that I need to charge it everyday. Home > phone away, Nexus 7 out. I do almost all my browsing/reading on my tablet now. Laptop is a rooting/storage device.

I use it 1-2 hours nightly, that would explain it

Vanillalite

So in an interesting app release front... something I didn't even know was being made...

irVEO380l6kVutgMudeOUlxQkXDZK4LGFzE3ePhaoTD2Jr5a6EpPs9cUmK7PER_ranrD=w124

ABP Google Play Store Link!

PLEASE NOTE: Adblock Plus might have limited functionality, depending on the Android version on your device and whether your device has been rooted:

Rooted: Blocks ads over Wi-Fi and 3G

Non-rooted with Android 3.1 or later: Blocks ads over Wi-Fi

Non-rooted with Android 3.0 or earlier: Some manual configuration is required. Please visit our website to learn how to setup your own proxy: https://adblockplus.org/en/android-config#proxy

Also, Android does not allow ads to be blocked on SSL encrypted websites.

can't wait to use my surface pro to unlock bootloaders, install recoveries, obtain root access....

i'm telling you those are the true laptop replacements...may be the death knell for androids tabs and ipads...

but until then, bring on my Nexus 10.

can't wait to use my surface pro to unlock bootloaders, install recoveries, obtain root access....

i'm telling you those are the true laptop replacements...may be the death knell for androids tabs and ipads...

but until then, bring on my Nexus 10.

Ha, well it's nice if you've got a touch screen laptop. I've got windows 8 on mine, but without a touch screen it's not much different to windows 7 in desktop mode and metro is not suited to mouse and keyboard unless you memorise the quick commands. I also still hold that tablets of 10" and above are too big. 7" is the sweet spot.

SimleuqiR

Q. Chrome for Android is still at v18, while regular Chrome is at v23. When will Chrome for Android catch up?

A. Soon! We expect an update to Chrome for Android starting with a developer update to happen before the end of the year, and we’re actively working towards aligning releases across all platforms, including Android, starting early next year

https://plus.google.com/+chrome/posts/e9HVLDwfjLr

I rather they take the time and merge the two, so we get updates at the same time.
I'll deal with the small issues on Android for a few months, for the mean time.

Vanillalite

I rather they take the time and merge the two, so we get updates at the same time.

Finally! Then again I'll believe it when I see it much like the "hey we are going to unify messaging no really we are we've been talking about it for a while now!"

Good news none the less.

Ha, well it's nice if you've got a touch screen laptop. I've got windows 8 on mine, but without a touch screen it's not much different to windows 7 in desktop mode and metro is not suited to mouse and keyboard unless you memorise the quick commands. I also still hold that tablets of 10" and above are too big. 7" is the sweet spot.

7 inches is too small

/thatswhatshesaid

but seriously it's too small for a tablet. my nexus 7 is almost the size of my phone. i use it sparingly. 16gb is partly to blame or i would game on it more.

oh wait it's not 16gb it's basically barely 9gb after factory reset.

Doopliss

Getting support for the latest web standards at the same rate as the desktop browser doesn't seem that exciting to me when the performance lags behind other modern mobile browsers.

7 inches is too small

/thatswhatshesaid

but seriously it's too small for a tablet. my nexus 7 is almost the size of my phone. i use it sparingly. 16gb is partly to blame or i would game on it more.

oh wait it's not 16gb it's basically barely 9gb after factory reset.

Each to their own. I've owned an iPad, Xoom and still have a Transformer Prime and I find they are too big to hold comfortably for long periods of time, something I find essential if I'm web browsing, gaming or reading. The storage options thing is a problem, though for me 16gb is enough cos my music is in the cloud and I tend to stream video so It doesn't have to be stored locally. I'm not suggesting a tablet is a flat out replacement for a PC/Laptop, but it does replace many of the day to day functions I'd normally have required it for.

in other news...google play store servers shit themselves approximately a half second after sales resume.

hundreds of reports of phones not staying in checkout carts.

get your act together googy

Zeppu

uuuugh I hate 4.2. it's basically the io6 of android. I just realized that the quick settings aren't actually toggles but links to the respective settings page. The lock screen is a mess, getting to camera and Google now is less intuitive. Yesterday I took a couple of pics and then when I went to the gallery it kept switching to the camera.

Man I'm disappointed :(

Cudder

Yeah the lockscreen actually disgusts me now. I hate when I press the power button and see those two edges of the boxes on the side of the screen showing me that I can swipe left or right.

On top of that:

-You can actually swipe your finger in any direction in the circle to unlock your phone, yet there is still an unlock icon to the right.
-the delay when you press the power button to turn on/off the screen is so bad.
-You can swipe down on the clock widget to "extend" it (even though nothing physically changes with the widget), and then you have to press a lock icon to actually be able to unlock the phone again. Pointless beyond belief.
-I hate having to swipe to get to full page widgets. Allow me to have smaller widgets on the main lock screen to know if I have emails or something at a glance. Even then, that's what the notification bar is for...

I hope they either revert the lock screen back to how it was, or seriously revamp it.

Vanillalite

Getting support for the latest web standards at the same rate as the desktop browser doesn't seem that exciting to me when the performance lags behind other modern mobile browsers.

Getting to the same version has the current desktop would be more than just web standards though. Plus I assume the hope would be to bump up the speed and smoothness as well.

At the very least it shows Google isn't being crazy and just letting Chrome for Android be left out in the cold.

Of course they aren't ever going to add flash support back in so if you are a person that uses an alternative browser that supports flash no matter what Google doesn they won't bring you back into the fold.

mturco

Yeah the lockscreen actually disgusts me now. I hate when I press the power button and see those two edges of the boxes on the side of the screen showing me that I can swipe left or right.

On top of that:

-You can actually swipe your finger in any direction in the circle to unlock your phone, yet there is still an unlock icon to the right.
-the delay when you press the power button to turn on/off the screen is so bad.
-You can swipe down on the clock widget to "extend" it (even though nothing physically changes with the widget), and then you have to press a lock icon to actually be able to unlock the phone again. Pointless beyond belief.
-I hate having to swipe to get to full page widgets. Allow me to have smaller widgets on the main lock screen to know if I have emails or something at a glance. Even then, that's what the notification bar is for...

I hope they either revert the lock screen back to how it was, or seriously revamp it.

Completely agree. The entire idea of widgets on the lockscreen feels superfluous and even then it's implemented horribly. I've been using Android since 2.1 and the whole swipe down to reveal the full widget thing threw me off completely. I have no idea how the average consumer is supposed to discover that.

All of that said, this is the first misstep Google has made with Android in a long time (at least since 4.0), and I don't doubt they'll fix it with the next update.

Woo hoo, I just scored a Nexus 4!

I haven't activated it yet, though. I want to make sure I get everything off of my Nexus One (kinda hate saying goodbye to the little trooper) before I do so. Do people have any good recommendations for ways to back up text and pictures messages? Also, any easy way to transfer other contents of the phone & SD card to the new device?

Vanillalite

Woo hoo, I just scored a Nexus 4!

I haven't activated it yet, though. I want to make sure I get everything off of my Nexus One (kinda hate saying goodbye to the little trooper) before I do so. Do people have any good recommendations for ways to back up text and pictures messages? Also, any easy way to transfer other contents of the phone & SD card to the new device?

Go SMS has a full backup feature...

PLAY STORE LINKAGE!

r1chard

4.2 is a complete letdown. Don't like the new lockscreen (for reasons already mentioned here) and the one feature I was looking forward to: the new sphere camera mode, doesn't work for me (the stitching is appalling.)

freshair

Also, any easy way to transfer other contents of the phone & SD card to the new device?

I used My Backup Pro (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rerware.android.MyBackupPro&hl=en) when I was backing up my sms/mms to flash my N4.

It stores the data in the cloud and gives you a pin (and you can set your password) to retrieve them.

The only issue with this is that after restoring, on the main Messaging window, it shows all your texts as the time the restored happened, but if you click into the individual sms, the time/date are correct.

So I don't know if that'll bother you or not.

How does the android automatic backup work? Is it like iCloud where I can perform a backup whenever I want? What exactly does it backup and where is it? I just see it as kind of there but have no idea if its working or not and what its doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom