• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
How does the android automatic backup work? Is it like iCloud where I can perform a backup whenever I want? What exactly does it backup and where is it? I just see it as kind of there but have no idea if its working or not and what its doing.

Just pretend it doesn't exist and pay for Titanium Backup. You can thank me later.

Damn its that bad? What a disappointment. I expected better from Google of all companies. I'll look into titanium thanks. I've heard it mentioned a lot on GAF.

it's not bad, but it doesn't backup everything like you think it would. However if you get Titanium Backup, you'll be able to back up all apps & data, texts (SMS and MMS), call logs, wifi access points, bluetooth pairings, homescreen setups, and pretty much anything else.

if you unlock bootloader and root, you can create a backup just like an iphone, which is basically a total screenshot of the phone ROM and data (except for the sd card and external sd card (which would never be touched anyway, unless you deleted it yourself and depending on some phones also when you unlock the bootloader)

EDIT: 80 MINS LATER...

i'm looking for a car stereo... All i want is a damn head unit that completely mirrors my phone onto a 7 in screen so i can control it without being on my phone...

pioneers app radio mirrors your phone, but won't allow you to control it from the screen, you have to control it from the phone. what the fuck kind of useless bullshit is that. just put my screen up on the big screen and let me control it from there...half a second lag? no fucking problem. just do it. worry about the smoothness later.

/rant... sorry.

i've seen the Nexus 7 mods (and even the ipad mods) and they all look like shit, plus don't contain all the head unit innards that you need to run a system. i would prefer not to run my system through another audio processor. just need an all in one unit...

hopefully CES will show that these head unit companies are starting to use android for their head unit software. would be so dope. and compatible...

just use 4.2 and support miracast lol, would be heaven. (although that wouldn't work for touch control, basically only mirroring)

Is there any way to permanently stop the update prompt? I've been swiping it away all day but it seems to be getting more and more insistent. At this point it's coming back every 2-3 minutes.

Cudder

I must have about 3 tracking number emails in my gmail account right now, yet not one of them shows up in Google Now, and the Tracking card is on. Anyone know what's up?

Cyrillus

I must have about 3 tracking number emails in my gmail account right now, yet not one of them shows up in Google Now, and the Tracking card is on. Anyone know what's up?
Yeah it seems to get some of them for me (all my Amazon shipments and a Walmart shipment), but it didn't pick up my shipment from the LEGO store for some reason.

i recently got a Wii U and a ps vita.
after being being spoiled by smartphone screens, the wii u screen looks bleh...need more DPI.

the amoled of the vita is very nice though...looks better than most amoled smartphones

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
haven't been keeping track of the new android news lately, so what the latest and greatest that will be be on the horizon?

Sony has a big slate of phones coming.

In general it'll be a calm until CES/MWC where we see the 2012 crop of phones from just about everyone. Expect 1080p screens and crazy quad core cpus to be all over the place.

PS: Supposedly the Verizon GNote 2 devices are shipping now if anyone ordered one.

Cipherr

I think Google has to go in an add the templates on the back end for the retailers. My amazon orders show up, but not my Newegg orders. I think its something they will improve over time.

tino

Banned
Meizu announced a new phone, 4.4" 1280X800, Quadcore Exynos 1.6ghz 2GB. "Thinnest bezel".

Very size and interesting screen.

Samara

I tried searching but on mobile neogaf its impossible.

So my problem is google sync my blog images to my gallery and all that. How do I remove? If one would be so kind to answer, thank you

SimleuqiR

I tried searching but on mobile neogaf its impossible.

So my problem is google sync my blog images to my gallery and all that. How do I remove? If one would be so kind to answer, thank you

Your phone is sycing with your Picasa account, and I'm assuming the blog is under "Blogger"? Not sure what version of Android you have, but under "accounts" find the Google account and see what services are being synced. If you un-select "Google Photos" I believe your Picasa account (which includes images from your Blogger account) should not show up in the Gallery app.

I don't think you can pick and choose which folders can show or not show on the gallery if you have the account synced.

RuGalz

Your phone is sycing with your Picasa account, and I'm assuming the blog is under "Blogger"? Not sure what version of Android you have, but under "accounts" find the Google account and see what services are being synced. If you un-select "Google Photos" I believe your Picasa account (which includes images from your Blogger account) should not show up in the Gallery app.

I don't think you can pick and choose which folders can show or not show on the gallery if you have the account synced.

don't forget to go to Gallery app in the settings afterward and clear the cache or you will still see all the picasa thumbnails.

Futureman

I had an Amazon shipment a few weeks back that popped up a card the day AFTER the package was delievered.

I got shoes from Dicks.com this week and no card.

TheTowel

I don't understand why developers don't conform to the holo guidelines. I see people checking their fantasy football on their iPhone and it looks great. I use whatever the hell app was highest rated on the play store and it's shit. Functional but ugly as hell. Then I check the verge app and see how well holo can be done. It really grinds my gears.

Vanillalite

Nap they just hate you. ;)

black-kid-oh-snap.gif

Hmm, I picked up Apex Launcher Pro and it says it supports themes from other launchers including LauncherPro (RIP). I'd really like that theme, but I can't find it in the Play Store or through the Apex launcher itself. Any ideas?

Chrome has an update, scrolling is better. Still not as good as stock, but a lot better than it was.

Still no fullscreen/quick control option though.

tino

Banned
it's amazing how little bandwith opera mini uses

I think its possible to live on under 100mb of data in a month if you use Opera Mini only. If you are on TMobile prepaid there is a way to get it working without paying for data too.

Too bad ebay doesn't work. That's why I am on the 5GB plan now.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I think its possible to live on under 100mb of data in a month if you use Opera Mini only. If you are on TMobile prepaid there is a way to get it working without paying for data too.

Too bad ebay doesn't work. That's why I am on the 5GB plan now.

Yep. I got 4 gigs only and I think chrome uses more bandwidth (especially on gaf) in like 20 minutes than opera mini does in a week

lol

my whole life needs a quick control gesture

EDIT:

this is what car stereo manufactures need to do but not gonna happen. i'm probably going to pick up this mod at some point. http://www.customgadz.com/store/

HOLY SWEET HEAVEN that is exactly what i was looking for. I sent them a quick email to make sure i'll be able to set it up properly, if they get back with some positive answers i'll be picking this puppy up at the beginning of the year.

Chrome has definitely improved with this latest update. It's still not quite perfect for scrolling yet, but it improves with every release. Can't wait to give the dev version a shot next month that will give it parity with the desktop. If extensions come too, then it will be game over for every other browser.

Vanillalite

Chrome has definitely improved with this latest update. It's still not quite perfect for scrolling yet, but it improves with every release. Can't wait to give the dev version a shot next month that will give it parity with the desktop. If extensions come too, then it will be game over for every other browser.

Firefox already has extensions. Things like stylish and ad block + work on your phone.

So getting extensions wouldn't be anything new. Oh yeah and Firefox already updates with the desktop too. Plus Firefox has flash support.

My VZW Galaxy Nexus has not had any connection outside of wifi all day. It shows the grey bars and the up and down arrows. It doesn’t matter where I am – no connection. Is it a bug or a serious problem?

Hieberrr

Firefox already has extensions. Things like stylish and ad block + work on your phone.

So getting extensions wouldn't be anything new. Oh yeah and Firefox already updates with the desktop too. Plus Firefox has flash support.

FF is ugly and a pain in the ass to use.

Vanillalite

FF is ugly and a pain in the ass to use.

I can agree it's style isn't that great. I don't see how it's hard to use though. No more than Chrome currently since neither really have full on gesture support.

I was just saying having extensions or following their desktop branch wouldn't be new. Plus if you go by the current desktop versions it would mean chrome breaking with things like gifs anyways. LOL

All of this being said IMO there isn't an Android browser out there that looks really stylish, has great performance, and includes support for things like flash, extensions, desktop sync etc...! I think there is still a lot of room for someone to create an A++ android browser.

TheTowel

Man, installed cm10 on my evo lte and it's amazing how much better this is than sense. Night and day difference in performance and looks. Think I'll just flash the gs3 camera software to make up for the sense camera.

Vanillalite

Man, installed cm10 on my evo lte and it's amazing how much better this is than sense. Night and day difference in performance and looks. Think I'll just flash the gs3 camera software to make up for the sense camera.

You flash the nightly or the stable? I flashed CM10 on my One X last Sunday.

I was actually planning on creating a mini review topic of my CM10 experience this weekend after using the Stable version as my daily driver for a week.

TheTowel

One of the nightlies. The stable apparently isn't as good as most of the nightlies. No issues thus far. Have yet to see if the lte handoff works.

antipod

The Chrome update was quite good. Not only did the scrolling improve but I think it rendered some pages a bit faster as well.

Still not smooth enough, but getting there one version at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom