• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
FF is ugly and a pain in the ass to use.

This is the major reason why I don't use Firefox. Even something as simple as closing a tab isn't intuitive in Firefox. If Chrome gets the smoothness issues ironed out and adds in extensions (especially if it's the new stock browser on android phones) then beyond flash there won't be much need to look elsewhere.

RayStorm

What annoys me the most about the 5 minutes I spent with Firefox so far: Why is there no separate entry box for my search engines? If I want to switch the search engine but use the same phrase, do I really have to type the same phrase in again?

Blackhead

Redarse
Firefox already has extensions. Things like stylish and ad block + work on your phone.

So getting extensions wouldn't be anything new. Oh yeah and Firefox already updates with the desktop too. Plus Firefox has flash support.

Are there any limitations to the stylish extension, and other extensions, in the mobile browser?

I don't much like the default UI of the desktop Firefox, just as I don't much like the default UI of the mobile Firefox, but due to the power and flexibility of the desktop Firefox extensions I've been able to customize the UI to my exact needs and that's why I've been using it for years. If I can find extensions that customize mobile Firefox, say an extension to add quick controls, then mobile Firefox be become my main browser on Android as well.

Doopliss

I don't know why you guys don't just use Dolphin HD Beta. It's awesome.
It uses the Menu Button of Shame and doesn't have quick controls.

You flash the nightly or the stable? I flashed CM10 on my One X last Sunday.

I was actually planning on creating a mini review topic of my CM10 experience this weekend after using the Stable version as my daily driver for a week.
You should do this, I'd be interested in your impressions.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You should do this, I'd be interested in your impressions.

I'm going to more than likely especially if people say they'd care to read my impressions ahead of time.

Are there any limitations to the stylish extension, and other extensions, in the mobile browser?

I don't much like the default UI of the desktop Firefox, just as I don't much like the default UI of the mobile Firefox, but due to the power and flexibility of the desktop Firefox extensions I've been able to customize the UI to my exact needs and that's why I've been using it for years. If I can find extensions that customize mobile Firefox, say an extension to add quick controls, then mobile Firefox be become my main browser on Android as well.

Not sure about limitations, but so far from what I've used nothing really major isn't there. It's interesting to note the Adblock+ creators mention in their news about the new standalone app that it doesn't work with FF. Yet they say they already have a much more poweful mobile extension for FF Mobile in the extension gallery already.

Take that as you will, but that's a big dev that seems to have no issues with it.

PS: FF's current look/skin is ugly, but I still don't see how it's usability is any different from say Chrome quiet honestly.

All right, so I've spent only about a day with my Nexus 4 (and Jellybean)-- I'd still been using my Nexus One.

I'm pretty happy with the device and the changes to Android so far. I'm not thrilled with the camera app which feels overly complicated now, but I suppose I'll get used to it. One thing that's throwing me off though are dock notifications-- ie texts and calls. Are they gone with Jellybean?

Oh, and while the device is a very nice build, it's quite large. I will be first in line of Google ever decides to do a Nexus Mini ;)

gcubed

All right, so I've spent only about a day with my Nexus 4 (and Jellybean)-- I'd still been using my Nexus One.

I'm pretty happy with the device and the changes to Android so far. I'm not thrilled with the camera app which feels overly complicated now, but I suppose I'll get used to it. One thing that's throwing me off though are dock notifications-- ie texts and calls. Are they gone with Jellybean?

Oh, and while the device is a very nice build, it's quite large. I will be first in line of Google ever decides to do a Nexus Mini ;)

what do you mean by dock notifications? the notification bar? its still there

Hieberrr

I really want the AOSP browser on my N7, but I don't want to root :mad: Is there a stable browser in the Play Store that supports flash?

ScOULaris

Guys just use ICS Browser+, its the best.

ICS Browser+ is the best browser for ICS, yeah. But the stock JB browser makes it obsolete, pretty much. The enhanced quick actions in the JB browser are mostly better than the customizable ones from ICS Browser+.

tino

Banned
ICS Browser+ is the best browser for ICS, yeah. But the stock JB browser makes it obsolete, pretty much. The enhanced quick actions in the JB browser are mostly better than the customizable ones from ICS Browser+.

How do you close a tab on JB Browser?

besiktas1

Kind of a massive problem.
Yesterday night I synced all my contacts to my google account.
Replaced my broken Note 2.
Logged into my account on the new phone.
Now I have no contacts :(
Help!

tino

Banned
Quick control > tab control (first one down from the middle > swipe which tab you want gone left or right

It doesn't work on my CM10 rom ( I can only select tab).

And the way ICS Browser+ let you customize a close tab is still faster.

gcubed

I'm not talking about the pull down bar, I'm talking about red, numeric icons indicating a missed call, texts waiting, etc. (sorry if I have the terminology wrong :p )

It never had that, it could have been a launcher replacement you were using that did that for you. You can get one that does that now, i dont use a replacement, but others here can tell you exactly which ones do

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Kind of a massive problem.
Yesterday night I synced all my contacts to my google account.
Replaced my broken Note 2.
Logged into my account on the new phone.
Now I have no contacts :(
Help!
Is contact syncing turned on?

It never had that, it could have been a launcher replacement you were using that did that for you. You can get one that does that now, i dont use a replacement, but others here can tell you exactly which ones do

Ohhhh. Ha! My only experience with Android was with LP, which I used from day one until I retired my Nexus One this week. I always thought those were native to Android :p

the only problem i have ever had with chrome would be no flash support. it's not dead yet fellas. stop trying to pretend it doesn't exist...

well that and the problem with all mobile browsers:

the web is still built for desktop browsers. no matter how you slice it, you won't get a better experience with a mobile browser. people need to make their websites way more dynamic now (most sites, not all sites, some are steppin it up)

there's always a feature or two missing from the mobile experience, whether it be the comment section on a blog or maybe a live stream

just in general, mobile needs to catch the fuck up, especially on tech blogs, i mean you guys report on this shit, your shit should work the best. leave no feature behind.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
New to the S3 and the Android OS completely, could anyone direct me to decent tutorial or guidelines of how to create and manage my own themes for the S3? I have a bunch of widgets and themes downloaded, just don't know how to put it all together =/

You guys are terrible for tech support. For 2 days I have not had a connection outside of wifi. The grey bars change but it never connects to 3G or 4G.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
New to the S3 and the Android OS completely, could anyone direct me to decent tutorial or guidelines of how to create and manage my own themes for the S3? I have a bunch of widgets and themes downloaded, just don't know how to put it all together =/
Anyone?

Toki767

For the ROM flashers out there, are the issues in CM10 fixed in AOKP? I never quite understood the difference between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom