• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

There is no real "tutorial".

The S3 comes with Touchwiz (Samsung's launcher), and the whole ROM is built with the Touchwiz framework behind it. So in terms of changing the whole theme, it's not possible.

What you can change is the launcher. You can try...

Stock Android look: Apex Launcher and Nova Launcher
iOS + Android look (I recommend it): MiHome Launcher
Extremely themeable launcher: Go Launcher

In terms of wigets, you can place them however you want to.

http://mycolorscreen.com/ has a lot of nice examples (very clean looking themes and setups).

So the best you can do is change the launcher (which means changing your the aesthetics of your home screens, application icons, application drawer, and that's about it). Everything else (app aesthetics) will remain the same.

Doopliss

For the ROM flashers out there, are the issues in CM10 fixed in AOKP? I never quite understood the difference between them.
They're both custom ROMs compiled from AOSP-based source code (AOSP = stock Android). They only really differ in the features they add, so there will be different bugs associated with those. Underlying device-specific code is generally the same between all AOSP-based ROMs, so if, say, bluetooth is busted in CM10 on your device it isn't going to work in AOKP either. One ROM may get a fix first, but they're all open source so if the other ROMs are properly maintained they'll get it too.

tino

Banned
i'm sorry what does this mean

If one day Andy Rubin is possessed by Steve Jobs and decided to turn the Android project closed sourced, all the future Android development will be closed. Android's license allow google to do it. Nobody else will be able to moderify any future Android versions. Google can start making Nexus phones with no sd slot, non removable battery, micro Sim slot and a 21X9 screen and there is nothing you can do about it.

The AOSP is there to ensure if that happen, the open source community can fork Android and continue to build open sourced Smartphone OS, and my HTC HD2 will continue to receive OS update.

However in order to gain approval of the purchase of Motorola, google made a deal with the Chinese government to keep Android open for the at lease 5 years. So we don't have to worry about the "possessed by Steve Jobs" scenario for the next 5 years.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
There is no real "tutorial".

The S3 comes with Touchwiz (Samsung's launcher), and the whole ROM is built with the Touchwiz framework behind it. So in terms of changing the whole theme, it's not possible.

What you can change is the launcher. You can try...

Stock Android look: Apex Launcher and Nova Launcher
iOS + Android look (I recommend it): MiHome Launcher
Extremely themeable launcher: Go Launcher

In terms of wigets, you can place them however you want to.

http://mycolorscreen.com/ has a lot of nice examples (very clean looking themes and setups).

So the best you can do is change the launcher (which means changing your the aesthetics of your home screens, application icons, application drawer, and that's about it). Everything else (app aesthetics) will remain the same.
Alright, thanks for the info.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Double that mycolorscreen.com recommendation. It even tells you what programs they use to get the effect with links on the page to downloads.

tino

Banned
Don't hate on the padfone 2. The price in oversea market is competitive. I would take it over the One X and S3.

Vanillalite

For the ROM flashers out there, are the issues in CM10 fixed in AOKP? I never quite understood the difference between them.

Also I'd like to say while a lot of the issues are based on the ROM there also are invididual issues on a per device basis. It's always best to check the XDA forums, and read through the specific thread of the ROM you want to try on your specific device forum. That way you can see just how each ROM is holding up for your exact device.

XDA has specific threads for all of the big ROMs out there like Paranoid, AOKP, and CM in each of the invidual device sub forums.

PS: Still plan on writing a mini CM10 review after using it as my daily driver for a week.

Hieberrr

Also I'd like to say while a lot of the issues are based on the ROM there also are invididual issues on a per device basis. It's always best to check the XDA forums, and read through the specific thread of the ROM you want to try on your specific device forum. That way you can see just how each ROM is holding up for your exact device.

XDA has specific threads for all of the big ROMs out there like Paranoid, AOKP, and CM in each of the invidual device sub forums.

PS: Still plan on writing a mini CM10 review after using it as my daily driver for a week.

Do a review on the daily ROMs. They are much more stable than the actual stable assuming you don't mess around with the CPU clocks and whatnot :D

Vanillalite

Do a review on the daily ROMs. They are much more stable than the actual stable assuming you don't mess around with the CPU clocks and whatnot :D

This. The stables are basically just a nightly released on a specific date.

Way ahead of you. Already switched to the nightly on Tuesday, and upated to the new nightly yesterday afternoon. :p

PS: Android GAF should come watch me live stream my Metroid playthrough this evening!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

They are two different ROMs. It's like the difference between Sense and TouchWiz. Or different flavors of Linux.

Angst

They are two different ROMs. It's like the difference between Sense and TouchWiz. Or different flavors of Linux.

But isn't AOKP based on CM? Meaning any known issues in CM is still inherent in AOKP? It's that why on the Exynos chips at least.

Doopliss

But isn't AOKP based on CM? Meaning any known issues in CM is still inherent in AOKP? It's that why on the Exynos chips at least.
Just going to quote my previous post:

They're both custom ROMs compiled from AOSP-based source code (AOSP = stock Android). They only really differ in the features they add, so there will be different bugs associated with those. Underlying device-specific code is generally the same between all AOSP-based ROMs, so if, say, bluetooth is busted in CM10 on your device it isn't going to work in AOKP either. One ROM may get a fix first, but they're all open source so if the other ROMs are properly maintained they'll get it too.

With my current research into get an Android phone, what surprises me is with Android's openness, I can't install an unbuggy, clean AOSP version of 4.1/4.2 on any Android device sans a Nexus

gcubed

With my current research into get an Android phone, what surprises me is with Android's openness, I can't install an unbuggy, clean AOSP version of 4.1/4.2 on any Android device sans a Nexus

AOSP binaries only exist for Nexus devices. All other manufacturers don't release drivers already integrated into the OS, some don't even release them at all

JordanKZ

Yeah, it's not the AOSP's ROM's fault. So many of these drivers are completely locked down for no reason.

I'd have to imagine Google will slowly work towards getting more and more devices on the AOSP. But that's going to be years off.

Vanillalite

seems like flow beta will happen soon :)

I am excited for this, but at the same time with Swype being free and the new stock 4.2 keyboard having swype like functionality built in this is going to have to be REALLY GOOD to get me to switch since I'd have to pay.

PS: I currently use Swype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom