• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note 3, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, Sony Z1 and LG G2.

They'll all be in and around the same price as the Moto X but significantly better in hardware.

However some people are blinded by Moto marketing and don't care.

HTC One Max also

Oh get over yourself. There are legitimate reasons to like the phone and throwing everyone who prefers it under the bus as "just blinded by marketing" is a falsely damning accusation.

is it that people don't like the phone or is it that people think a McDouble shouldn't cost $6.95

That's not the point. First of all, the aesthetics of a phone shouldn't cost extra.

The point is, Motorola tried to over charge this phone for the amount of hardware value inside it. They thought they could get away with it but it turned out the public was pretty smart about it. People are not going to over pay for this phone and the phone has lost its buzz amid the extremely competitive phone market.

I know very few posters who plan to get this phone in the 2 forums I hang out in.

i blame Samsung and all of the tech bloggers who repeated "Octocore" verbatim without explaining it.

the world said.... what?

it's not like i mentioned a Blu/Oppo/ZTE/Huawei. the One Max will get mentioned everywhere when it drops just like the One Mini did. the media loves an underdog and a comeback story.

That's not the point. First of all, the aesthetics of a phone shouldn't cost extra.

The point is, Motorola tried to over charge this phone for the amount of hardware value inside it. They thought they could get away with it but it turned out the public was pretty smart about it. People are not going to over pay for this phone and the phone has lost its buzz amid the extremely competitive phone market.

I know very few posters who plan to get this phone in the 2 forums I hang out in.
Oh, God. Now it makes sense. You and Sir Mossy Bloke were the guys 7 years ago complaining about the price of the Wii saying "there's no legitimate reason the hardware in the Wii should cost this much." When you buy an Xbox or a Galaxy Note 3, you're not paying for the hardware in it. You're paying for the value you assign to the product. Obviously you fellows don't see the Moto X as being valuable enough for it's price. That's fine, but my valuation system is different from yours, and you have to be able to understand that.

Oh, God. Now it makes sense. You and Sir Mossy Bloke were the guys 7 years ago complaining about the price of the Wii saying "there's no legitimate reason the hardware in the Wii should cost this much." When you buy an Xbox or a Galaxy Note 3, you're not paying for the hardware in it. You're paying for the value you assign to the product. Obviously you fellows don't see the Moto X as being valuable enough for it's price. That's fine, but my valuation system is different from yours, and you have to be able to understand that.

Not sure what the first half of your post is on about, so I'll just address the second half.

What value exactly have you assigned to this product? You aren't paying for the hardware, as there's better specs for the same price. It can't be the software, as active listening and active notifications are available for free on any device from the play store. It can't be the motomaker as it's only available on one carrier in one country and the price doesn't change to reflect that. Is it how smooth it runs? Because my One runs just as smooth from all my tests I've done (real world of course)

So what is it? Some weird sum of all it's parts? Offsetting Motorola's advertising costs?

I'm genuinely curious at this point as you obviously see the disparity but that's not something that's in your mind when you consider it.

I'm done being a dick about it and arguing. Now I'm just puzzled.

I am however worried that this sets some weird precident that if this sells well, manufacturers can make more margin by putting in cheaper parts in a phone without dropping the price as long as the "experience" is up to par. Like the feel of 60fps.

Yo dude no problem.

Bigger question are you OK? Hospital isn't good.

Long story short, heat exhaustion which lead to an anxiety attack which started the ball rolling on two more in the last two days. Got some Xanax today just in case I run into another to stop it in its tracks.

Should be good to go from now on.

zedge

Not sure what the first half of your post is on about, so I'll just address the second half.

What value exactly have you assigned to this product? You aren't paying for the hardware, as there's better specs for the same price. It can't be the software, as active listening and active notifications are available for free on any device from the play store. It can't be the motomaker as it's only available on one carrier in one country and the price doesn't change to reflect that. Is it how smooth it runs? Because my One runs just as smooth from all my tests I've done (real world of course)

So what is it? Some weird sum of all it's parts? Offsetting Motorola's advertising costs?

I'm genuinely curious at this point as you obviously see the disparity but that's not something that's in your mind when you consider it.

I am however worried that this sets some weird precident that if this sells well, manufacturers can make more margin by putting in cheaper parts in a phone without dropping the price as long as the "experience" is up to par. Like the feel of 60fps.

I think I read something that said the Moto X was only $24 cheaper than the S4 to build. Don't remember where.

Enco

The new phones are around the corner and I'm having a tough time picking between the next iPhone and Nexus.

To be honest, screen size is the main thing that's tempting with the Nexus.

How are the mail, messaging and web apps compared to those on iOS? Hopefully it's ok to ask this here. Didn't want to make a new thread just for it.

The new phones are around the corner and I'm having a tough time picking between the next iPhone and Nexus.

To be honest, screen size is the main thing that's tempting with the Nexus.

How are the mail, messaging and web apps compared to those on iOS? Hopefully it's ok to ask this here. Didn't want to make a new thread just for it.

Mail is gmail and is fine. Never used the other for multiple non-gmail ones. Maybe someone else can field that one.

Never had an issue with messaging.

Web apps are fine for me. Again, never an issue.

Spinluck

You_don't_say.png

I remember some gaffers going on about how TouchWiz was ugy, but ran great, better than most Android skins.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Long story short, heat exhaustion which lead to an anxiety attack which started the ball rolling on two more in the last two days. Got some Xanax today just in case I run into another to stop it in its tracks.

Stay safe and healthy dude!!!

thespot84

You think Moto went through the trouble with dedicated cores for active listening and notifications (and an amoled screen) just for shits? The arguement is that, given the form factor, no phone without said dedicated cores could run the active tasks without destroying battery life. That has yet to be disproven (so far as I've seen, I welcome otherwise).

People like the sum of the features as a whole, and the thing was designed so that it all works together, as described above.
People like the form factor.
People like moto maker (and are waiting for it to not be exclusive in a few weeks)
People like the android experience.
People like things you don't.

You can go to sleep at night telling yourself that people are stupid because the hardware isn't as good and your phone can do everything theirs can. That's fine. I hope you sleep well. But people value different things. Have you seen the Scion Cube? That thing is ugly as fuck. to me. I hate it. But other people don't. and they spend money on it, and the world turns.

Now you may turn out to be right, and not enough people value the X enough to pay said price, and the price drops soon. So be it. But coming out of the gate declaring from on high that the phone is too expensive because of the hardware irks people, because it shows a lack of respect for the fact that there are views other than yours.

zedge

Wow. Take care man.

this_guy

You think Moto went through the trouble with dedicated cores for active listening and notifications (and an amoled screen) just for shits? The arguement is that, given the form factor, no phone without said dedicated cores could run the active tasks without destroying battery life. That has yet to be disproven (so far as I've seen, I welcome otherwise).

People like the sum of the features as a whole, and the thing was designed so that it all works together, as described above.
People like moto maker (and are waiting for it to not be exclusive in a few weeks)

You can go to sleep at night telling yourself that people are stupid because the hardware isn't as good and your phone can do everything theirs can. That's fine. I hope you sleep well. But people value different things. Have you seen the Scion Cube? That thing is ugly as fuck. to me. I hate it. But other people don't. and they spend money on it, and the world turns.

Now you may turn out to be right, and not enough people value the X enough to pay said price, and the price drops soon. So be it. But coming out of the gate declaring from on high that the phone is too expensive because of the hardware irks people, because it shows a lack of respect for the fact that there are views other than yours.

Why do you take it so personally that most people feel the phone is over priced? It seems like those people are right about the price with the rumors of the upcoming price drop.

I wanted to like the phone, but the disappointing camera and price are what's keeping me away from purchasing one.

I think all incoming price drops have more to do with Apple's 9/10 event than anything else. The iPhone is going to suck up all smartphone mindshare for the upcoming few months, so anyone wanting to have any kind of retail momentum has to get the ball rolling hard and right now.

tino

Banned

Your argument makes zero sense since Wii was not over priced (in relation to its production cost.)

I think all incoming price drops have more to do with Apple's 9/10 event than anything else. The iPhone is going to suck up all smartphone mindshare for the upcoming few months, so anyone wanting to have any kind of retail momentum has to get the ball rolling hard and right now.

Do you just spew out anything that comes to mind?

U

This NFC tag and tasker app stuff sounds interesting... My interest is piqued. Anyone care to explain a bit?

I don't know any more than what I use but I have an nfc tag attached to my keys. Using the tasker o can tap the back of my phone and I have it instantly perform a set routine I configure from the nfc tasker app such as turning off data and enabling WiFi at the same time for when I get home. Or turning my brightness down to it's lowest setting while it also sets an alarm for me.

Stuff like that. It can do a ton of stuff.

tino

Banned
Not sure if I want to take the Moto x fans seriously. Like, are you guys Motorola fanboys or Google fanboys. Or you are just member of the "Motox is not over priced" defense force.

I just want to know what your alliance is so I can hit your sensitive spot for massive damage. :p

That's a long ass post and I'm too drugged up on allergy meds to respond to it all, but some points I will mention are. Yes, they must have gone with dedicated cores for active listening and notifications for shits because I've been running two apps specifically to mimic those two moto features in my phone for 3 days now and pulling 5 hours screen time. These apps also happen to do a lot more. I could post a screen grab of my battery life from two days ago but it doesn't show those two apps specifically running so it's useless, sorry. However I will welcome anyone to try it. They are called Dynamic Notifications and Utter!

Plus, with these medications in my body, I will sleep like a dead person. It's awesome.

I will ask you something though. If you had two tvs that could do exactly the same thing. One was 720p and one was 1080p, with the latter being a better screen. Would you buy the 720p one if they were both the same price?

That's a long ass post and I'm too drugged up on allergy meds to respond to it all, but some points I will mention are. Yes, they must have gone with dedicated cores for active listening and notifications for shits because I've been running two apps specifically to mimic those two moto features in my phone for 3 days now and pulling 5 hours screen time. These apps also happen to do a lot more. I could post a screen grab of my battery life from two days ago but it doesn't show those two apps specifically running so it's useless, sorry. However I will welcome anyone to try it. They are called Dynamic Notifications and Utter!

Plus, with these medications in my body, I will sleep like a dead person. It's awesome.

I will ask you something though. If you had two tvs that could do exactly the same thing. One was 720p and one was 1080p, with the latter being a better screen. Would you buy the 720p one if they were both the same price?

Is the 720p one made of super super sweet plastic and can I customize it and make it pink and blue? If yes then I will get that one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
nexusae0_LG-G-Pad-8.3_0220130830202037747_thumb.jpg

Here ya go Android iPad mini fans. LG bringing an 8.3" tablet with an iPad mini form factor. You get an S600 processor, 2 gigs of ram, a 1920 x 1200 screen, and Android 4.2.2.

Threi

notag
Don't people refer to aspect ratio when they talk about iPad mini form factor? That res is the same as the new N7, which is 16:10.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, that tablet is still shit. 4:3 is king.

Posted from my 16:10 Nexus 10

People who are interested in the Moto X, will you wait for the Nexus 5 train first? If not, why not?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm eligible for an upgrade discount with Sprint, currently have a S2. Should I just go for an S4? Do I have any other unlocked options that would work with Sprint?

Yeah, that tablet is still shit. 4:3 is king.

Posted from my 16:10 Nexus 10

People who are interested in the Moto X, will you wait for the Nexus 5 train first? If not, why not?

I'll probably wait until Novemberish

Make my choice between the Moto X and iPhone 5s

Surprised about the lack of Droid Maxx talk, its Moto X with a giant battery.

No one has any interest?

I own one~

I like it a lot, but tbf, I'm coming off of an Xperia Play. Even still, the Maxx is responsive, and even with constant usage of Chrome, intermittent 4G, music, etc. (brightness at 1/5th, power saver off), the most I've done to it in a day left it at 18%. With more moderate usage, you can keep it going for a couple of days. I do enjoy it.

Quick Capture works pretty damn well - I remember that I was reading a preview of the Moto X, and a Motorola representative told the writer to think of it like twisting a doorknob. You keep that in mind and it'll work pretty much every time you try it. Active Notifications are cool as hell, same for Touchless controls. I'm loving the 5" screen, etc.

It's a good phone. Only problem it caused me was when I was trying to close Navigation and it wouldn't. Force stopped it. But loving the phone lots.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Just bought both my parents Nexus 4's.

welp.jpg

Will be fun to play with them. Although I'm kinda worried, my dad is going to use his primarily for media, maybe I should have gotten 16 GB for him...

Anyone recommend cases? I need them to be different colors as well (preferably white/black.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom