• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squared

I've never had an android phone last this long even with limited use.

Really?

dmvYmxF.png

My SGS3.

MNC

I've been pulling my hair out forever;

With GoogleMaps, if it is possible, how do I save a custom location? I can place a marker by long pressing it, I can navigate towards it, but I cannot save it at all whatsoever that I can find. Something as simple as this can't be excluded from a big app like this, right?

(I know you can 'star' locations and save those, but those are preset locations i.e. a bar or restaurant. I want to save custom markers.)

Second question:

I've been using Carbon ROM for SGS3 I9300 and it's an amazing rom. However, battery life is much worse than TouchWiz rom :( Any pointers? Using 1.8.

DXPett1

I've been pulling my hair out forever;

With GoogleMaps, if it is possible, how do I save a custom location? I can place a marker by long pressing it, I can navigate towards it, but I cannot save it at all whatsoever that I can find. Something as simple as this can't be excluded from a big app like this, right?

(I know you can 'star' locations and save those, but those are preset locations i.e. a bar or restaurant. I want to save custom markers.)

Nope...you can save custom locations. Once you long press to pin it, swipe the address info bar (the one along the bottom) up and you'll see the save star option

malfcn

So Swiftkey is free on Amazon. How is it better than the stock LG keyboard than I am using, I slide on it.

And I am having a hard time installing it.
I disabled unknown source, but then the Amazon app locks up during purchasing.

So Swiftkey is free on Amazon. How is it better than the stock LG keyboard than I am using, I slide on it.

And I am having a hard time installing it.
I disabled unknown source, but then the Amazon app locks up during purchasing.

You have to enable unknown source, not disable.

malfcn

Hmmm.

I'm sure you've already tried this, but if you havent delete the app and redownload. It could be corrupted

Just deleted and reinstalled the Amazon app and it still locks. Guess I'm staying stock swipe.

Got it to work. Did it through my laptop.
Had to refresh through the Cloud. It may have been there before.
Still doesn't explain the locking up though.

Well now that I'll be acquiring an Android phone soon.

I would like to know what the essential apps for one are.

And the best RSS reader app.

kehs

Banned
Coppy - sole purveyor of Google TV.

It's awesome dude. I was browsing my dropbox pictures in between commercials the other day.

I saw the show I was watching come back on in my pip window and I switched back. That's future shit.

Talon

It's awesome dude. I was browsing my dropbox pictures in between commercials the other day.

I saw the show I was watching come back on in my pip window and I switched back. That's future shit.
Hey man, we had a Windows TV set up (or whatever the hell Microsoft called it) set up in the living room back in college. It was cool. Except for the whole - you have to use this horrible keyboard/remote thing.

kehs

Banned
Hey man, we had a Windows TV set up (or whatever the hell Microsoft called it) set up in the living room back in college. It was cool. Except for the whole - you have to use this horrible keyboard/remote thing.

Good thing I have an awesome remote, and a tablet, and a phone and my computer.

vdlow

Photos don't do it justice one bit. Thing was almost as big as my face.

Yeah, Samsung is all like "Here is Galaxy Note, smaller than your face. But we also have Galaxy Mega, as big as your face. And if you're not happy, here is Note 8, which actually is bigger than your face."

I was kinda of scared when I first saw someone doing a phone call in a Note 8 without earphones or something.

Looks like Google was the mysterious suitor that acquired WIMM Labs last year, presumably to help develop their own smart watch:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/30/4677066/google-acquires-android-smartwatch-manufacturer-wimm-labs

I guess it wouldn't be too unrealistic for a Nexus Watch to show up this year, along with the Nexus phones. Here's what the WIMM One looked like:

Also, looks like Google owns the Smartwatch.com domain name by default, since the domain was owned by WIMM Labs.

kehs

Banned
Looks like Google was the mysterious suitor that acquired WIMM Labs last year, presumably to help develop their own smart watch:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/30/4677066/google-acquires-android-smartwatch-manufacturer-wimm-labs

I guess it wouldn't be too unrealistic for a Nexus Watch to show up this year, along with the Nexus phones. Here's what the WIMM One looked like:

Also, looks like Google owns the Smartwatch.com domain name by default, since the domain was owned by WIMM Labs.
everyone is really on this Smartwatch move huh... wait, doesn't Google already have the Moto ACTV? yeah, yeah, i know, inherited pipeline.

Google smartwatch to be titled "Nexus 0.5"
Nexus 1

Spinluck

After going through that Nexus 4 thread a bit, I really wanna try the Cyanogenmod 10 on my S3. People say stalk Android is ugly and shit, but I like it. I've always been too afraid of doing it because I feel like one of those dudes who will skip a step and fuck up his phone. I also very worried about losing my stuff, I've backed up nearly all my photos and what not recently though (it was on Samsung Kies though, will this be a problem after rooting the phone?). Is there a mod you Android for dummies walkthrough- I'm on AT&T. Lol, cause I'm pretty interested, and am bored with TouchWiz.. which has been acting kinda weird lately.

After going through that Nexus 4 thread a bit, I really wanna try the Cyanogenmod 10 on my S3. People say stalk Android is ugly and shit, but I like it. I've always been too afraid of doing it because I feel like one of those dudes who will skip a step and fuck up his phone. I also very worried about losing my stuff, I've backed up nearly all my photos and what not recently though (it was on Samsung Kies though, will this be a problem after rooting the phone?). Is there a mod you Android for dummies walkthrough- I'm on AT&T. Lol, cause I'm pretty interested, and am bored with TouchWiz.. which has been acting kinda weird lately.
I doubt that you can restore via Kies when running CM instead of TouchWiz, but you should still be able to drag and drop the files manually. Also, no matter what guide you use, read everything first, download everything that is required, read everything again and make sure you know how to boot into recovery mode and download mode.

Spinluck

I doubt that you can restore via Kies when running CM instead of TouchWiz, but you should still be able to drag and drop the files manually. Also, no matter what guide you use, read everything first, download everything that is required, read everything again and make sure you know how to boot into recovery mode and download mode.

Any tips on what I should use to back up some of my stuff? Obviously stuff like app settings don't matter much since syncing/logging in will fix that. And once I sync my Google account it should redownload my apps correct (I hope)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Waaa? It's smooth as any other app.

Edit: apart from facebook. Fuck Facebook.

I'm trying to cast to my Chromecast but every single tap to play is unresponsive unless I go into the Chromecast app and try to re-find it. ARGH

Also Netflix won't play on my Pixel. Weird error. DOUBLE ARGH

Spinluck

Speaking of smoothness holy fuck CyanogenMod 10.2 is ridiculously smooth on my phone.

LtNDbKz.png

TouchWiz is running like shit on mine :-(

Only a one yr old S3. CyanogenMod here I come!!!!

Did you back up all your stuff before installing it (probably a yes). If so what did you use?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't back up my stuff specifically when flashing, but anything I want is in the cloud anyways. So nothing to back up since my music, email, photos, browser stuff etc... is all in the cloud waiting for me.

Everyone uses titanium for backs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom