• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Just bought both my parents Nexus 4's.

welp.jpg

Will be fun to play with them. Although I'm kinda worried, my dad is going to use his primarily for media, maybe I should have gotten 16 GB for him...

Anyone recommend cases?

If they're prone to be careless with them, sure. They slide around like motherfuckers as well when they're brand new because of the glass back, so you might warn them about that.
Otherwise a Ringke case is most popular, Fusion or Slim. I use a white Slim case whenever I use a case.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ringke Slim, OK. That sounds good. Thanks Groof.

I don't see either of them being particularly careful, normally I might not bother but those glass backs...

fritolay

There is one thing that bothers me with Android - App permissions. It is out of control. Too many apps, games, etc want too may permissions it seems. If an app wants phone call permissions, can they collect what numbers you call, how often, how many minutes, etc? How about what cell towers you connect to? Then there is GPS. If the app doesn't use GPS, does it get to use all your GPS data, your locations, when other apps use it?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There is one thing that bothers me with Android - App permissions. It is out of control. Too many apps, games, etc want too may permissions it seems. If an app wants phone call permissions, can they collect what numbers you call, how often, how many minutes, etc? How about what cell towers you connect to? Then there is GPS. If the app doesn't use GPS, does it get to use all your GPS data, your locations, when other apps use it?

That's not an Android problem, it's an app problem. Use better apps. At least Android tells you what's going on: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/disruptions-so-many-apologies-so-much-data-mining/?_r=0

Last week, Arun Thampi, a programmer in Singapore, discovered that the mobile social network Path was surreptitiously copying address book information from users’ iPhones without notifying them.

fritolay

That's not an Android problem, it's an app problem. Use better apps. At least Android tells you what's going on: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/disruptions-so-many-apologies-so-much-data-mining/?_r=0

Well that is the problem. More and more apps are asking for more security approvals. I think it is getting to the point, just like with user agreements when installing software, people just install and approve. Use better apps isn't a solution. There needs to be some kind of security rating in the play store so it gets more attention, and anything else that can help.

Mistle

With my first android device comes my first attempt at customisation! :D
Feels good coming from iPhone.
Also while the wallpaper is HTC stock originally, I changed the colours and added some texture to it.

sJYJXoE.jpg

Talon

Eh, sort of a bad example.

In iOS, you have a single privacy menu with Contacts, Photos, Calendar, Reminders, Bluetooth, and Location. Looking at Contacts, this iPhone only has 8 devices that ask for it. Just 4 for my Calendar.

Conversely, I can't tell you how many Android apps I've considered installing ask for what appear to be completely unrelated phone and dialing permissions.

It's a completely binary permission handled at the system level, and you get a modal permission if and when the app asks for it.

Which is why there was so much outrage over Path because they were beyond the pall.

tino

Banned
So Sony release a new phone in Japan, Xperia UL SOL22 , its basically a Xperia Z with different radio options and a 2300 mah removable battery. While we lost LG to the dark army of non-removable battery, Sony may come around to the light side.

With my first android device comes my first attempt at customisation! :D
Feels good coming from iPhone.
Also while the wallpaper is HTC stock originally, I changed the colours and added some texture to it.

looks nice.
So Sony release a new phone in Japan, Xperia UL SOL22 , its basically a Xperia Z with different radio options and a 2300 mah removable battery. While we lost LG to the dark army of non-removable battery, Sony may come around to the light side.

you know it won't happen. It's just the same as HTC releasing a One with an SD card slot in China I think it was.

jokkir

Just bought both my parents Nexus 4's.

welp.jpg

Will be fun to play with them. Although I'm kinda worried, my dad is going to use his primarily for media, maybe I should have gotten 16 GB for him...

Anyone recommend cases? I need them to be different colors as well (preferably white/black.)

You should all play Spaceteam ;)

yyzjohn

Banned
You can pin them to device but I don't think you can download them as mp3s to your phone.

They are downloaded to your phone as mp3 when you pin them. You need a rooted phone and something like root browser to find them though. Stored at

/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music

Also they're stored with numbers.mp3 so its not easy to know what they are at a glance.

GatorBait

Anybody have any good recommendations for apps that will allow you to download YouTube videos for offline viewing? Google really needs to reevaluate the need to have an internet connection to view cached "Watch It Later" videos now that their tablets are starting to proliferate.

I'm eligible for an upgrade discount with Sprint, currently have a S2. Should I just go for an S4? Do I have any other unlocked options that would work with Sprint?

Note 3 drops soon, and they're also supposed to be getting the LG G2 (it already cleared the FCC) and the Moto X [wait for pricedrop on that one].

I'd wait for the upcoming LG Optimus G2 because its the first Sprint triband LTE phone.

it's also only the second Sprint LTE phone to *not* support simultaneous voice and LTE data :(

Cipherr

It's a completely binary permission handled at the system level

I thought I read there's supposed to be system level control on app permissions.

Yeah this. I was just inside an App on my Nexus a few days ago and swore that I saw options to disable an app from using GPS and other permissions. You can specifically turn them off by app. Even for the Google Services.

yyzjohn

Banned
What does that mean?

I can play them without an internet connection?

Yes that's the whole idea of pinning music, it actually stores the music on your device so you can listen without a data connection. Pretty handy for my favorite CDs that I listen to over and over (although Google caches the music you're listening to so even if you play it immediately after it doesn't require a data connection because it'll be cache on the device)

Does anyone have issues with Music Unlimited just randomly shutting down with an error screen? I'll be cycling and randomly the music stops while in offline mode. It's a pain in the ass to have to stop by ride to force close it, then restart it.

tino

Banned
Anybody have any good recommendations for apps that will allow you to download YouTube videos for offline viewing? Google really needs to reevaluate the need to have an internet connection to view cached "Watch It Later" videos now that their tablets are starting to proliferate.

Look it up on Amazon Appatore or other non google app sites.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So you are saying US consumers are push overs compare to Japan and Chinese consumers?

OK, let's revisit this SD card situation again. It's been about a year. What do you guys actually store on there?

In my situation, it's only worth it for pictures. Music is worthless since Google All Access doesn't let you store on the SD card. Pictures I could manually move over but with G+ autoupload, it's not that big of a deal. Everything else can't be used on the SD card, thankfully. I'm glad we're finally moving toward being civilized. Now if only 32GB were the standard, things would be great.

thespot84

That's a long ass post and I'm too drugged up on allergy meds to respond to it all, but some points I will mention are. Yes, they must have gone with dedicated cores for active listening and notifications for shits because I've been running two apps specifically to mimic those two moto features in my phone for 3 days now and pulling 5 hours screen time. These apps also happen to do a lot more. I could post a screen grab of my battery life from two days ago but it doesn't show those two apps specifically running so it's useless, sorry. However I will welcome anyone to try it. They are called Dynamic Notifications and Utter!

Plus, with these medications in my body, I will sleep like a dead person. It's awesome.

I will ask you something though. If you had two tvs that could do exactly the same thing. One was 720p and one was 1080p, with the latter being a better screen. Would you buy the 720p one if they were both the same price?

If the form factor and customizations were more to my liking and the viewing distance was such that I couldn't tell the difference between the resolutions, then yes.

EDIT: I hope you slept well

tino

Banned
OK, let's revisit this SD card situation again. It's been about a year. What do you guys actually store on there?

In my situation, it's only worth it for pictures. Music is worthless since Google All Access doesn't let you store on the SD card. Pictures I could manually move over but with G+ autoupload, it's not that big of a deal. Everything else can't be used on the SD card, thankfully. I'm glad we're finally moving toward being civilized. Now if only 32GB were the standard, things would be great.

I was talking about removable battery not SD card slot.

I wrote down a couple more paragraphs explaining how I use the SD card, and then I decided to delete it. I am not interested in wasting more time on that argument. I don't see why I or any smartphone user have to explain the need to have a SD slot. I don't need to convince anyone on the forum either.

M4shy

Neo Member
Does Google Music let you download songs or is it streaming only?

I pinned some music to my phone and found .mp3's in one of the system folders. I presumed that was the pinned music as there was quite a lot of it.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 7 2013 edition. Is there any other tablets of similar specs/prices?

So I'm the only one to deal with that? o_O

Bo, if you'd like to talk about it, feel free to PM me. I could always put aside the fact that you're a Canucks(?) fan. :p

It's gonna be hilarious when Apple releases theirs and then all of a sudden everyones smartwatch starts looking different. Just sad right now.

Talon

It's gonna be hilarious when Apple releases theirs and then all of a sudden everyones smartwatch starts looking different. Just sad right now.
I want to see some sort of insane full band display. Probably a year away, but Cook promised "new product categories" within this year.

Enco

I pinned some music to my phone and found .mp3's in one of the system folders. I presumed that was the pinned music as there was quite a lot of it.

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Nexus 7 2013 edition. Is there any other tablets of similar specs/prices?

Could you access it offline?

edit: ROFL at the pic below. Pahahahahaha. What a piece of shit. Might as well strap an iPhone to my wrist. Dumbass designers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom