• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That smartwatch is ridiculous. However, if people are stupid enough to buy it then I don't see what the issue is. Samsung are only making what people want in the end. If it doesn't sell then I'm sure a smaller one will be made.

In other news, I've been reliably informed that some new Xperia devices are being added to CM10.1/10.2:

Z1 10.2
Z Ultra 10.2
ZR 10.2
SP 10.1

Possibly M and L as well.

Hopefully with CM on board more ROM developers will jump in as well!

GL to SD looks cool. I didn't know about that. But again, I'm truly wondering why people want an SD since it seems like Google has done their best to make them irrelevant. All Access not being able to pin to the SD is killer for me. Anyway, I'm not trying to change people's minds. I'm just curious. Every year that goes by, the less relevant these things are to me.

there actually was a hidden menu a few versions back that allowed the SD to be set as the cache directory, but Google removed it....

Seeing how Samsung turned smartphones into huge face slappers, where a 4.3" phone is now considered "mini", I wonder if they will do the same for (smart) watches. Can't wait to see everyone wearing 3-4" devices on their wrist in the coming years.

yeah, but... watches...

yeah, but... watches...

There was a time when we thought the same about smartphones.

The HD2 is a magnificent monster. It is a hulking, intimidating, massive slab of a gadget. If you think the device looks big in photos, it's nothing compared to how it seems up close. Yes, the HD2 is large -- some might say too large -- almost less a phone and more a tablet. We don't happen to fall into the camp that has complaints about a device of this size (the whole thing measures 4.74-inches up and down by 2.64-inches across), in fact, we love the bulk and surface area of the HD2. Of course, not everyone will feel as affectionate about the size as we do, and even though the phone is a svelte 11mm (0.43-inches) thick, the sheer vastness of the handset might be a turnoff to some; to be fair, small-handed folks might have trouble getting comfortable with their grip.

Like I said, that thing is "mini" in todays standards.

GatorBait

At least you're honest :p These smart watches, for me, sum up everything wrong with how smartphones just take over people's lives. I go out with friends and they're constantly checking for messages, they don't even hear a tone and check if something has come through, like fucking phantom messages or something. It's like a compulsion. And now there's another device to report every piece of mail or text or message that comes through?

This is similar to how I feel, but it might be because I just haven't been described any compelling use-cases for a smartwatch. People playing with phones constantly while in social settings is a pretty annoying scenario and I can't imagine there are too many people out there that receive so many notifications that having them displayed on their wrist is needed (especially since people who do get that many notifications while most likely need to respond to quite a few of them and have to pull out their phone anyway).

I'm a pretty big supporter of the idea of wearable computing, but it just doesn't seem like there are useful enough applications out there to make a swartwatch worthwhile. (Perhaps this is a chicken/egg situation and apps will proliferate once the hardware is out there, but judging by Google Glass so far, I'm not sure that will be the case.)

Volotaire

Rumoured leaked Note 3 render.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-render-pops-up-alongside-first-price-hints.jpg

Volotaire

So... its almost like the original Note, but with less bezel (and Ive been holding out for this phone for more than 6 months now, just for it to look exactly like the Note I have... but with less bezel).

Oh, Samsung. :/

Not the greatest looking, but it is plain I suppose. Shame the back of the phone is ugly as ever (as with most smartphones).

Not the greatest looking, but it is plain I suppose. Shame the back of the phone is ugly as ever (as with most smartphones).

I was following (and being skeptical) of the whole Moto Maker stuff on the X, but Ive seen some designs that aren't half bad, and now I think that I would like it a lot if I'm able to do this with my next smartphone (too bad that I need a Note, I have enormous hands!).

It's Samsung's touch. I don't know what to think about it. I love the feel and the look of the back of the nexus 4 but mine has a small crack now.

Volotaire

I was following (and being skeptical) of the whole Moto Maker stuff on the X, but Ive seen some designs that aren't half bad, and now I think that I would like it a lot if I'm able to do this with my next smartphone (too bad that I need a Note, I have enormous hands!).

Shame the handset is not even reaching Europe. The customization is indeed a nice feature.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Looks like good news for Windows.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Top right.

The margin isn't that big and Android's losing share to iOS.

I expect that trend to continue if Apple releases a free on contract/cheap prepaid model. Good for them. That should shake up the industry even further. Of course, why people would purchase the iPhone 5C over a half the price, much better quality Nexus 4 baffles me. But I'll hold off until the phone is actually introduced. Just my suspicions.

I'm thinking of buying a really cheap backup phone but I don't know which. I've narrowed it down to either the Lumia 520/620 or a cheap android phone. What are Android phones that you can get for cheap that aren't actually horrible?

Bboy AJ

I'm thinking of buying a really cheap backup phone but I don't know which. I've narrowed it down to either the Lumia 520/620 or a cheap android phone. What are Android phones that you can get for cheap that aren't actually horrible?

Nexus 4. I used to use an HP Veer, though. That phone was awesome.

Nexus 4. I used to use an HP Veer, though. That phone was awesome.

yeah that seems like an obvious choice for that price range but it also seems like a bit much for a backup phone lol. I'll feel bad for not using it. The Lumia 520 for instance is like 150 bucks or less and it seems like a throwaway phone you can stash away. Looking for the cheapest but still isn't total garbage.

Meizu never changes.

lKYyLGM.jpg

If you can get a 520 for 99 bucks, then do it. It's incredible value.

Microsoft

It doesn't help to have a nobody in the US market championing your OS, while your other "partners" are busy doing nothing and launch sub-par devices 9 months after the initial launch on Sprint.

Maybe they could get Sony on board to boost their sales in the US.

It doesn't help to have a nobody in the US market championing your OS, while your other "partners" are busy doing nothing and launch sub-par devices 9 months after the initial launch on Sprint.

Maybe they could get Sony on board to boost their sales in the US.

Wait.

Did you just say Nokia is a nobody?

tino

Banned
So... its almost like the original Note, but with less bezel (and Ive been holding out for this phone for more than 6 months now, just for it to look exactly like the Note I have... but with less bezel).

What did you expect? Samsung go crazy and put a glass back and water proof flaps on the Note 3?

What did you expect? Samsung go crazy and put a glass back and water proof flaps on the Note 3?

Well, not exactly, but I was hoping a little bit of a forward-thinking design, but its Samsung. As long as it has a removable battery, Im game. Cant wait.

Bboy AJ

Well, not exactly, but I was hoping a little bit of a forward-thinking design, but its Samsung. As long as it has a removable battery, Im game. Cant wait.

To imagine what the next gen Note will look like, just look at the latest Galaxy S. Same thing.

Google Keyboard Update:

YESSSSSSS

Ha, yeah, always baffled me why that wasn't standard from the beginning. It's much easier to use now.

Zeppu

Ha, yeah, always baffled me why that wasn't standard from the beginning. It's much easier to use now.

The only reason I can think of is: "To fuck with us."

Seriously, how hard could it have been to not put the effort into removing it?

Anyone selling a used nexus 4? Friend broke her one x and just needs something to hold her over. I know 199 isn't bad for a new one but just looking first.

Smartphones and wristwatches don't, but smartwatches? We'll see!
when you put it that way, all i can say is 'wait for Apple to do it right' because everyone has been trying, including Motorola and Sony.

Galaxy Note III render looks exactly like everyone imagined... Samsung gonna Samsung.

How about (smart)phones and watches? Starting as a stationary object in your home, becoming pocketable and mobile before finally becoming wearable.
i guess the best response really was the Futurama pic...

I hope we get to see them in the hands of consumers worldwide.

That's not an Android problem, it's an app problem. Use better apps. At least Android tells you what's going on

It's at least partially an Android problem. I posted this last week. A game I was playing had an update that started asking for permissions to read phone calls. From what I've read, this single permission lets the app do things from knowing a call is incoming (so that it can save game state) to allowing the app to have access to your phone IMEI, phone number, and the numbers of incoming callers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/look-application-permissions

Games like Angry Birds and Temple Run both require this permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom