• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

It's at least partially an Android problem. I posted this last week. A game I was playing had an update that started asking for permissions to read phone calls. From what I've read, this single permission lets the app do things from knowing a call is incoming (so that it can save game state) to allowing the app to have access to your phone IMEI, phone number, and the numbers of incoming callers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/look-application-permissions

Games like Angry Birds and Temple Run both require this permission.

So you're angry that an app ask for permission, and then uses said permission to do what it ask for?

Groof

It's at least partially an Android problem. I posted this last week. A game I was playing had an update that started asking for permissions to read phone calls. From what I've read, this single permission lets the app do things from knowing a call is incoming (so that it can save game state) to allowing the app to have access to your phone IMEI, phone number, and the numbers of incoming callers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/look-application-permissions

Games like Angry Birds and Temple Run both require this permission.

The commenter that said that Phone State and Phone Identity should be broken up into two different permissions is spot on. That would at least take care of most of the issues with that.

So you're angry that an app ask for permission, and then uses said permission to do what it ask for?

Umm, are you serious here? My point was that there's no reason for those permissions to be bundled together. The games are obviously using the permission to save state. They don't need the permission for phone numbers and because they're bundled together it's impossible to know if they're actually doing anything with your phone number.

Now I'm sure Rovio is somewhat of a trustworthy company but all this does is make sure that I never download a single game that isn't from a big or well-known developer.

So I've been using a GS4 for a little while now, and battery life doesn't seem that much better than my old phone (a Nexus S). At first I thought it was the device itself, but I'm thinking it's Google Services. It has a keep awake time of more than 8 hours, and is usually the first or second item on the battery usage list depending on how much screen on time. It was never at the top of the list on my Nexus S, and I had the same things syncing (contacts, gmail, etc). I don't remember it ever having such a high keep awake time on my Nexus S, so is this a GS4 problem or a Google Services problem? Anyone else experiencing the same?

Edit: Did a little more searching around and it seems to be a location services problem. This is so weird, I never had this problem before on my old phone. Maybe it's because I'm no longer using an AOSP ROM, or it's a Google problem, or a Samsung/TouchWiz problem? I don't know, but the battery drain is ridiculous.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
more Note 3 goodies:

BTLr7AGCMAE4fCY.png:large

Alleged confirmed specs: 2.3GHz x4, 1080x1920, 2.5GB RAM..

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
if I could get a 520 for 99 bucks I probably would have bought it instantly and not asked anything lol. Know of anywhere online?

In the US, AT&T sells it at their stores for $99 off contract.

Edit: Amazon

I bought one for my 7 yr old daughter to use as an mp3 player and to play games and apps, never stuck a sim in it.

vgamer1

So I just installed a new Rom on my S4. Eclipse TW 2.0. Battery life seems worse and Google services is completely taking over battery drain.

Also, the battery monitor never resets like it used to. Like the phone can completely die and then when I plug it in and turn it on it doesn't reset the battery meter, it shows the graph go back up and then down again.. It's hard to explain.

How can I fix this?

IceCold

Quick question guys, when you buy a new android device are the apps you had in your old device automatically transferred to your new one (assuming they are both linked to the same google account). If yes, then is there a way to prevent that?

Quick question guys, when you buy a new android device are the apps you had in your old device automatically transferred to your new one (assuming they are both linked to the same google account). If yes, then is there a way to prevent that?

Why would you not want that?

Don't quite know where else to ask this, but anyone know of any ways to create a DIY security system using one smartphone as the camera and the other to view/record the feed?

Don't quite know where else to ask this, but anyone know of any ways to create a DIY security system using one smartphone as the camera and the other to view/record the feed?
One phone runs IP Webcam to act as the cam server and the other runs IP Cam Viewer Pro to view and record it. I set this up with an old phone of mine. The quality is great.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Whats the chance that the N5 is a MotoX with a 5" screen?

Does Motox have better spec than N4?

Not happening. The Nexus 4 was top of the line when it came out. The X, uh, isn't. But yes, it's slightly better speced than the 4.

tino

Banned
Not happening. The Nexus 4 was top of the line when it came out. The X, uh, isn't. But yes, it's slightly better speced than the 4.

Well that fansy Snapdragon 800 ain't cheap. I can see it happening. 5" 720p screen, Motorola Faux-core technology 16GB/32GB for 299/349, "Made in United States"
mirror.php

You guys should have brought the $199 N4 when you had the chance wmahahaha.

Oh yeah, bluetooth. Marty, do you have any blue tooth headphone recommendations?

The one I'm using is a Sony model that apparently is no longer made. I inherited that one from my wife. It works and sounds pretty well, but I'm on the lookout for something that's better.

tino

Banned
Hello Moto.

When Google purchased Motorola it was a relevant company. Nokia now is a not very relevant company. Plus MS brought the feature phone part, which is not every useful to MS. You can't make $20 WP phone.

Anyway MS is only buying the lumia name not the Nokia name. I wonder if there is a clause somewhere state that Nokia can license the Nokia name to Android phone makers (kind of like how Polaroid license its name to throw away camera makers after bankruptcy.)

When Google purchased Motorola it was a relevant company. Nokia now is a not very relevant company. Plus MS brought the feature phone part, which is not every useful to MS. You can't make $20 WP phone.

Anyway MS is only buying the lumia name not the Nokia name. I wonder if there is a clause somewhere state that Nokia can license the Nokia name to Android phone makers (kind of like how Polaroid license its name to throw away camera makers after bankruptcy.)

The people on the internet are pretty bitter and salty for such an irrelevant company.

Talon

If anyone had said, "Google and Microsoft will buy storied hardware manufacturers in order to tightly integrate hardware and software like Apple" about 10 or even 5 years ago, they would have been laughed out of the room.

RIP Nokia devices. Microsoft can only use the terms Asha and Lumia worldwide.

I'll write up my thoughts on the blog during my lunch. I know it isn't strictly Android related, but it does have implications for Android.
RIP Nokia devices. Microsoft can only use the terms Asha and Lumia worldwide.
They can use the Nokia brand for Asha phones, but not for Lumia. Lumia will have to be branded either alone or Microsoft.

Talon

They can use the Nokia brand for Asha phones, but not for Lumia. Lumia will have to be branded either alone or Microsoft.
Nokia can only be used for feature phones under a 10 year license.

Nokia smartphones are no more. Ergo, Nokia devices are effectively dead.

Unless you want to play a dull semantics game.

Nokia can only be used for feature phones under a 10 year license.

Nokia smartphones are no more. Ergo, Nokia devices are effectively dead.

Unless you want to play a dull semantics game.
Well Nokia don't class Asha as smartphones, at least not in their results. On Lumia Microsoft can't use the Nokia brand, I agree. Like you I think it will only be a couple of years before MS decide to stop making featurephones and Asha, so Nokia as a consumer brand is dead.

tino

Banned
WTFBBQ, you are saying Nokia (the Finland company) can start selling Joola or Android smartphone under Nokia name from 1/1/2016?

Can they sell Nokia feature phone with another dumb OS from 2016?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
HTC announced a bunch of 3rd world phones. Yeah GAF doesn't care.

They also announced a Bluetooth BoomBass to pair with your HTC One and the BoomSpeakers. I get that phone speakers have shitty bass, and I get that the One has better speakers than every other phone. Still why make a fucking Bluetooth sub vs a Bluetooth speaker instead?

I like the little slide out platform to rest your phone on though.

img0218.jpg

Also yes Blue HTC One now confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom