• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I wish Google would give some fucking lead times to developers on this shit. Some apps I use aren't even 4.3 compatible yet because they drop the new versions of Android out of know where and then devs have to update accordingly. Now we have 4.4 coming.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You've never been to a birthday party with donuts served alongside the cake? Or had a donut with your afternoon coffee?

It's always time for donuts!

148.jpg

I've never had donuts after a meal, which is what I consider desserts to be.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wish Google would give some fucking lead times to developers on this shit. Some apps I use aren't even 4.3 compatible yet because they drop the new versions of Android out of know where and then devs have to update accordingly. Now we have 4.4 coming.

LMAO how does an app optimize itself for 4.3? It was basically a non-release (except for games and kiddy mode, I guess.)

Vanillalite

Any of you Android Prism bloggers that want to could write up a quick article about Android 4.4 kit kat.

Also I posted my first post today.

Finally once we get like 10 or so articles I figured I'd make a GAF post in the regular OT form about the blog!

giga

Any of you Android Prism bloggers that want to could write up a quick article about Android 4.4 kit kat.

Finally once we get like 10 or so articles I figured I'd make a GAF post in the regular OT form about the blog!
Already wrote and posted it.

Vanillalite

LMAO how does an app optimize itself for 4.3? It was basically a non-release (except for games and kiddy mode, I guess.)

Some of the code broke video shit especially streaming. Notice how Netflix was a big push for the new Nexus 7 cause they updated that shit for 1080p streaming? Also how youtube got redone?

Other streaming apps had to update their code base as well. My Xfinity app updated after a week or so to work again. HBO GO won't work. Even if you side load the app will load, but the streaming is broken. HBO has confirmed this, and said they have a 4.3 compatible version that should be "coming soon".

I also thing more games would use Google Play games if they knew about that shit for a few months before it went live.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some of the code broke video shit especially streaming. Notice how Netflix was a big push for the new Nexus 7 cause they updated that shit for 1080p streaming? Also how youtube got redone?

Other streaming apps had to update their code base as well. My Xfinity app updated after a week or so to work again. HBO GO won't work. Even if you side load the app will load, but the streaming is broken. HBO has confirmed this, and said they have a 4.3 compatible version that should be "coming soon".

I also thing more games would use Google Play games if they knew about that shit for a few months before it went live.

Complaining about Android apps not getting updated fast enough got old a few years ago, Brett. :p

Vanillalite

Complaining about Android apps not getting updated fast enough got old a few years ago, Brett. :p

And Google's done what to fix this? They've done fuck all to help the situation. Until they do I'll keep complaining.

Apple does this right now with the roughly 3 month lead time between the newest iOS reveal and the actual launch.

Vanillalite

Also this would allow devs to essentially beta test the OS so maybe shit won't be broken as fuck at launch like Android 4.2 and Android 4.3 which both required quick updates to fix shit that shouldn't have been fucked up in the 1st place.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
And Google's done what to fix this? They've done fuck all to help the situation. Until they do I'll keep complaining.

Apple does this right now with the roughly 3 month lead time between the newest iOS reveal and the actual launch.

Apple does it by moving slow as molasses and only releasing a single version every year. There are multiple versions of Android a year. A long beta test would also just compound the problems for goobers on skinned phones, they'd have to wait even longer to get the updates.

Aside from that, I see it as a non-issue after ICS. If your app is optimized for 4.0 and Holo, your app still looks and functions great today. Unless you're doing some BS hacks that break with a new release because your coders are CS dropouts.

Vanillalite

Apple does it by moving slow as molasses and only releasing a single version every year. There are multiple versions of Android a year. A long beta test would also just compound the problems for goobers on skinned phones, they'd have to wait even longer to get the updates.

Aside from that, I see it as a non-issue after ICS. If your app is optimized for 4.0 and Holo, your app still looks and functions great today. Unless you're doing some BS hacks that break with a new release because your coders are CS dropouts.

They've added a fuck ton of shit since 4.0. They changed up how bluetooth works, added in new gpu hooks, updated streaming protocols, added in support for newer versions of OpenGL, thrown in all of the Google Game stuff, switched up how GPS works in terms of power draw etc... etc...

and yes a lot of times you end up having to change up your app code.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
They've added a fuck ton of shit since 4.0. They changed up how bluetooth works, added in new gpu hooks, updated streaming protocols, added in support for newer versions of OpenGL, thrown in all of the Google Game stuff, switched up how GPS works in terms of power draw etc... etc...

and yes a lot of times you end up having to change up your app code.

And your solution is for them to slow down?

Gurl plz.
5vc1RwM.png

Groof

I for one praise the lords at Google for this name change. Seriously, kit kat is so good and I haven't ever heard of any Nestlé boycott. This is gonna be big, and I believe its an allegory of the fact that half of three apps that once were a part of the OS are now broken off and separated from the base.
The 4.4 is a bit puzzling though.

Vanillalite

Hey the Sony Camera stuff all officially leaked...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/09/03/sony-qx-lens-cameras-completely-leaked-ahead-of-announcement-specs-pricing-video-and-more-pictures/

Call me crazy, but if this actually is legit I could see myself buying this for my woman.

The new Cyber-Shot QX100 and QX10 lens cameras will be announced on September 4th at 4PM London time. The QX100 will go for $500, and the QX10 will cost $250, which is spot on with the leaks. Here is the full spec list for both units with everything you could want to know:

yogloo

My google+ have been crashing lately. Out of nowhere it will happen and the device stops working for a minute or two before telling me google+ have stopped. It happens a lot especially when my phone is switching the data from wifi to cellular or vice versa. It sometimes happens out of nowhere too.
Any ideas? I don't even use Google+ in the first place. This is a kinda shifty situation.

Update: I uninstalled the newest update from the auto update and it seems that it has stopped crashing for now.

Fucking RadioShack, no wonder no one shops there. I go to three locations, none of them have the HTC One for VZW. One sales rep even argued with me that it wasn't out yet.

Someone buy this $50 gift card off of me so I don't feel obligated to shop there.

Vanillalite

It's 500 dollaz, you can buy a RX100 for $500.

To be fair I'd be buying the $250 Q10 version. I fully agree the pricing is out of wack though.

The Q10 should be $150 and then Q100 $250-$300. $500 for the Q100 puts it to much in actual DSLR territory.

jokkir

My entry is very long.. >__> still typing it up

Groof

Long is good! I actually wish my 1st article was longer. :p

Don't forget to use the excerpt tool though so you have to click to get the full article.

I was actually afraid my Dots review was way too long... should I go even longer next time?

Vanillalite

I was actually afraid my Dots review was way too long... should I go even longer next time?

It's all up to you. Don't be afraid to go long though. I mean look at how long my Nexus 7 review would have been had it been a blog post.

As long as you aren't just looping over the same points over and over to pad out the length who cares if it is long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom