• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmincer

https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/status/377488875075035136

Dat salt.
KH8y2c1.png

That gold colour is hideous.

kehs

Banned
The guys in the Windows Phone OT were raging about this and while I rarely jump on the Apple hate train, this is ridiculous.

HTD3SSR.png

3L6AZYZ.png

You know what the problem is with this, it's so god damn verbose.

It should have just been something like:

"The color of you."

Pretentious, straight to the point, and even more salty infused for the haters.

tzare

after note3 unveiling and today's Apple show looks like smartphones in general are kind of stall right now. Besides the usual spec bump, minor os improvements,better camera here, higher resolution there or bigger screen there's nothing really moving forward. Some 'gimmicks' like this finger print sensor or being water resistant (for me the best thing to happen in the last 2 years) may give some life but do not seem to be enough.
And as Android KK is 4.4 instead of 5 I also think we will continue like this for a while.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I saw your post in the 5c thread aj, masterful trolling
I look forward to that post every year almost as much as the iPhone reveal.

after note3 unveiling and today's Apple show looks like smartphones in general are kind of stall right now. Besides the usual spec bump, minor os improvements,better camera here, higher resolution there or bigger screen there's nothing really moving forward. Some 'gimmicks' like this finger print sensor or being water resistant (for me the best thing to happen in the last 2 years) may give some life but do not seem to be enough.
And as Android KK is 4.4 instead of 5 I also think we will continue like this for a while.

iOS 7 is huge. Hardware is and will likely continue to be stale. Software is where it's at and iOS 7 is fantastic.

Nicktendo86

I look forward to that post every year almost as much as the iPhone reveal.

iOS 7 is huge. Hardware is and will likely continue to be stale. Software is where it's at and iOS 7 is fantastic.
I feel the opposite lol, I don't like io7 and the new a7 chip, new camera and fingerprint thing interests me.

Edit: no andrex, different size AMD no pogo pins. Were you being serious? I do t even know anymore

tzare

well, I'm not much into ios but nothing looks groundbreaking for me, maybe if you are an only apple guy this could be the equivalent of GB to ICS jump for Android users, because ios 6 really felt.. well, outdated.
I may be wrong though, since my only ios device is an iPod which I barely use

3phemeral

If the fingerprint scanner is reliable and significantly faster than entering a PIN then it's a pretty great feature.

This is really the only feature I find appealing, even if it really isn't a super secure alternative. I use the fingerprint scanner on my laptop all the time because of how convenient it is.

mkenyon

Banned
I like the 5S a lot. Great phone. Shit software. It's also ridiculously expensive off contract.

Also, this post never fails each and every year. Like clockwork. I do it every single year and it always works.
Pretty much. I can deal with iOS on a tablet, and enjoy my iPad mini. The OS just feels so slow, in terms of navigation/multitasking. Primary example is having a back button being inconsistent for navigating through a program. Having to tap twice on the home button to get a bad version of app switching.

It's like being in a padded room.

Groof

Seriously, I think I'm way too excited for the cosmetical changes that (hopefully) 4.4 will bring. Almost to the point where I'm bound to be really disappointed when it actually launches.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Seriously, I think I'm way too excited for the cosmetical changes that (hopefully) 4.4 will bring. Almost to the point where I'm bound to be really disappointed when it actually launches.

It's not Jelly Bean, so there's gotta be something substantial to it, even if it is just a .1 update...

Side note, we'll have been saying "Jelly Bean is the latest version of Android" for a year and a half by the time Kit Kat finally hits. Daayum.

Groof

It's not Jelly Bean, so there's gotta be something substantial to it, even if it is just a .1 update...

Side note, we'll have been saying "Jelly Bean is the latest version of Android" for a year and a half by the time Kit Kat finally hits. Daayum.

Sure, but Jelly Bean didn't change that much from ICS though, and that was also a mere .1 update.
I will however remain hopeful. Need to see dat based Duarte in full action.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
JB had some pretty nifty UI tweaks, like resizable widgets and widgets/shortcuts that moved around when placing a new one.

codhand

the mental gymnastics by my apple friend (works for apple) and the 5S OT, is impressive,

no justification for getting anything other than the 16gb

youre paying 400% markup for 16gb of memory, sad.

It's like being in a padded room.

i agree, apple goes at its own pace

Groof

JB had some pretty nifty UI tweaks, like resizable widgets and widgets/shortcuts that moved around when placing a new one.

Sure, but nothing major in terms of cosmetics and UI design. Roboto's been constantly changing however, and new East Asian language fonts have been added. That's about it I'd wager.

Cipherr

Sure, but nothing major in terms of cosmetics and UI design. Roboto's been constantly changing however, and new East Asian language fonts have been added. That's about it I'd wager.

Was 4.1 not the first time we got the card view with GNow? That same card look since then has woven its way around every app they have damn near, everything except the launcher and the stock messenger app.

Quasar

If the fingerprint scanner is reliable and significantly faster than entering a PIN then it's a pretty great feature.

I just wish Apple didnt hold it back from app makers. Just for unlock seems useless to me. Let me log into all my apps that way. Of course you need to find a way where my biometric data isnt handed over to every app with a login. You could kill the password with this thing on ios.

Personally think iOS 7 looks bad and it definitely won't stay "fresh" as long as Forstall's iOS was able to.

I'll install it on my iPad 3 later tonight but from the comments on GAF and Reddit about its performance on iPad 3... I'm not expecting much.

Groof

Was 4.1 not the first time we got the card view with GNow? That same card look since then has woven its way around every app they have damn near, everything except the launcher and the stock messenger app.

If we're gonna include apps then yeah, most of the Google suite apps have been overhauled. However, system apps and menus and the likes are still the old Holo dark. That's what needs to catch up, and for that needs a system update. Unless KitKat makes us able to download themes from the Play Store.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Sure, but Jelly Bean didn't change that much from ICS though, and that was also a mere .1 update.
I will however remain hopeful. Need to see dat based Duarte in full action.

Jelly Bean was more about fixing the lag, and actually leveraging the GPU.

Fingerprint scan will be as much a useless gimmick as face unlock
the problems with face unlock were lighting being an issue and being fooled by photos etc...

Anywhere? fingerprint scanners can be tiny.

http://www4.pcmag.com/media/images/121633-lenovo-thinkpad-x60s-controls-and-fingerprint-scanner.jpg

I mean, shit, just put it on the dimple of the MotoX.

i meant a good one, not the ones of yesteryear that people say are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom