• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problems with fingerprint unlock are gloves being an issue and also being fooled by low-tech solutions (though not as low-tech...)
gloves are gonna be an issue after you unlock too...

I was being serious, I'm not sure how this new fingerprint scanners works actually.

I'm guessing not since they nixed the little square off the home button.
i assumed the same thing. i really thought you were joking though!

I don't know if I'm just hearing things, but I swear the Google Voice Search voice is saying the word "Alabama" with a country accent when you ask it what the population is. It's really cracking me up for some reason.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't know if I'm just hearing things, but I swear the Google Voice Search voice is saying the word "Alabama" with a country accent when you ask it what the population is. It's really cracking me up for some reason.

Just tested and heard it too! LoL

kehs

Banned

Wow, I didn't realize they had dialects for their voice synthesizers, that's sweet.

Cipherr

yeah, sure on a specific model of a specific manufacturer's device that may not be an issue because the particular hardware has glove support for certain kinds and thickness of glives... and if someone adds a LED flash to the front camera, face unlock will work under most lighting conditions...

GatorBait

Can someone explain to me why the Voice Search sounds/speech playback are tied to the ringer volume and not media volume? Is there some setting to change this that I'm not aware of?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Play icon is pretty bad too, they should axe it and replace it (and Movies/Music/etc.) with flat variations. They stick out from the rest of the Google branding too much.

RM8

UGH. I simply can't get Asphalt 8 on my Xperia SP (can't buy it from Amazon App Store either). It's so idiotic that being the same phone, some units are compatible and not others. It's even more idiotic that my Xperia P and 2011 Sony Tablet S can download it. I love Android but this is the first time I'm going through a fragmentation issue meltdown :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IMG_20130910_211020.jpg

The twins. <3

Taken with my crappy GNex (obviously.) =/

I'm starting to think Google's style guidelines for Android are more intuitive than iOS 7. There are a bunch of wireframe buttons in Safari and throughout all the apps - it's hard to even tell what they're supposed to do. What the hell is a square with an arrow coming out of it supposed to mean?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
i thought you were going for wood and white?

those phones look nice though.

They're for my parents. Mom's dumbphone just died and my dad needs a media player, so I knew I couldn't settle for anything but the best.
After XFON, of course. Trololol.

Plus I nabbed em before Goog's ran out of the $200 ones. I got two N4's, two sims, two Ringke cases, and two docks for less than an iPhone 5c!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Also, T-Mo is FRICKING AWESOME. Their plans are great and Jump is a great idea (although I have no use for it, going Nexus and all.)

Husker86

Fingerprint scan will be as much a useless gimmick as face unlock

Oh hell naw. If Apple's fingerprint unlock works like I saw in a video today then it is most certainly something I want. No sliding your finger, fast, and not having to worry about entering PIN...sign me up!

I don't have a PIN lock on my phone because I unlock way too many times a day and it would annoy the shit out of me. In my defense, I do have Cerberus installed as a system app (so immune to a factory reset).

edit: I just realize my Cerberus defense doesn't matter since if someone wiped my phone they wouldn't have my data anyway. Whatever.

Hopefully the Play brand goes away because it's always been awful.

Play was a great brand change. "Android Market" was clunky and awful, and I like that they have a unified brand name for all of their content: apps, music, movies, books - all of it.

It's much better than Apple's uber-clunky branding for its content. Downloading a movie from iTunes? Yeah, that makes sense.

Husker86

Play was a great brand change. "Android Market" was clunky and awful, and I like that they have a unified brand name for all of their content: apps, music, movies, books - all of it.

It's much better than Apple's uber-clunky branding for its content. Downloading a movie from iTunes? Yeah, that makes sense.

And downloading a book from "Play" makes more sense?

bob page

I'm starting to think Google's style guidelines for Android are more intuitive than iOS 7. There are a bunch of wireframe buttons in Safari and throughout all the apps - it's hard to even tell what they're supposed to do. What the hell is a square with an arrow coming out of it supposed to mean?

Holo is definitely more consistent. iOS 7 is a bunch of random shapes, fonts, etc- no continuity whatsoever (even among 1st party apps).

And downloading a book from "Play" makes more sense?

True, but it's still a far more inclusive brand name than iTunes. Play was a huge step in the right direction for Google. It's not perfect, but I think it's a solid name and brand.

Anyways, I wouldn't read too much into that logo change. At this point, perhaps they just find the use of the word redundant.

Husker86

Yeah, I don't see them dropping the Play brand. They already changed everything once and I'm sure there are still people confused.

this_guy

Also, T-Mo is FRICKING AWESOME. Their plans are great and Jump is a great idea (although I have no use for it, going Nexus and all.)

You should really look at Metropcs (TMobile purchased them). Same network as TMobile but cheaper plans, plus the plans do NOT have additional taxes and fees. $60/month gets me unlimited everything including LTE with no throttling.

RM8

UGH. I simply can't get Asphalt 8 on my Xperia SP (can't buy it from Amazon App Store either). It's so idiotic that being the same phone, some units are compatible and not others. It's even more idiotic that my Xperia P and 2011 Sony Tablet S can download it. I love Android but this is the first time I'm going through a fragmentation issue meltdown :p
A Gameloft person just told me it is compatible with my phone. And well, it should be! People on YouTube are playing it on a Xperia SP and people at XDA Developers have confirmed it is compatible. Yet:

My phone is special, I guess :p

You should really look at Metropcs (TMobile purchased them). Same network as TMobile but cheaper plans, plus the plans do NOT have additional taxes and fees. $60/month gets me unlimited everything including LTE with no throttling.
MetroPieceofShit?
as we call it in Florida and Michigan, even though I bet nothing is wrong with them.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

Completely agree. As much as I dislike the Play branding it has been great in terms of usability. In terms if iOS the App Store is worse than per Froyo days at this point. I have no clue how I still manage to use it on my iPod... Oh wait, it's a nightmare.

Happy news though! I converted my "die hard" iOS friend to get a Nexus 7:)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apple was smart not to include NFC last year. This year, they look like geniuses. NFC is crap when you think about Bluetooth LE.

thespot84

Apple was smart not to include NFC last year. This year, they look like geniuses. NFC is crap when you think about Bluetooth LE.

NFC provides for a different use case as I understand BLE. The limited range and ability to activate passive receivers makes NFC perfect for secure transactions like payments and quick information grabbing from a source like a sticker or a token.

Unfortunately NFC was shoehorned to work with media transfer where something likebluetooh or WiFi direct provides for a better use case and now everyone hates nfc for it. paying for shit at the gas station with my phone is fucking awesome, and I saw uses for NFC all over the place, with public transit, museums, govt signage etc.

On an unrelated note, I can't see what ik typing on my phone as I type in GAFs reply window. Is it a stock browser issue? I constantly have to close the keyboard to see what I've done.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Being able to just whip out my phone and not have to make physical contact is better. I can do all the things you mentioned while on Bluetooth.

3phemeral

Does anyone know why using Google Voice Actions to create events is so inconsistent? If I say, "Set an appointment/meeting/event for," sometimes it will instantly create an appointment without any further action from me. Other times, it will just display "Edit event," which requires me to tediously go through menus to confirm the event, when I don't need to make any changes to the automatically created details.

[edit] Seems I can get it to pop up more consistently if I say "Set a meeting" which is funny, because the first time I ever saw the "Create Event" option was when I used "Set an appointment for."

yeah, sure on a specific model of a specific manufacturer's device that may not be an issue because the particular hardware has glove support for certain kinds and thickness of glives... and if someone adds a LED flash to the front camera, face unlock will work under most lighting conditions...

Not sure about the Xperia phones, but when you say "a specific model", you probably mean almost all Lumia phones released since late 2012. Even the $99 520 can do it.

But it's not surprising that you haven't heard much about the feature, considering Samsung has yet to copy implement it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom