• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

potam

Banned
Ugh, why does the Android landscape have to be so hazy?

Will the G2 be rootable/unlockable on Verizon? Will it get 4.3, 4.4, and beyond? Why does every non-iPhone need to be 42"? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

tino

Banned
TBH Samsung's aggressiveness it's what will ultimately drive Google to compete as a manufacturer of phones and tablets.

Samsung would love to have full control of Android.
Google Play Services is Google's way of sneakily keep OEMs at bay.
As time goes on it's harder to break away from the Play Store. Though China is up for grabs.

Google can't compete with Samsung on hardware. The Motox's "always listening" function is a software/hardware feature Google try to use to have an edge over the OEM.

I don't people care about Google Play Services that much. What specific service are you talking about.

Toki767

Ugh, why does the Android landscape have to be so hazy?

Will the G2 be rootable/unlockable on Verizon? Will it get 4.3, 4.4, and beyond? Why does every non-iPhone need to be 42"? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?

Rootable yes, unlockable bootloader probably not.

I also think the main reason google is doing .1 releases is more so they don't have to into huge numbers after a while. If every new release was a whole number, we'd be up to what, Android 9 with Kit Kat?

SimleuqiR

Google can't compete with Samsung on hardware. The Motox's "always listening" function is a software/hardware feature Google try to use to have an edge over the OEM.

I don't people care about Google Play Services that much. What specific service are you talking about.

And Samsung can't compete on "software" (yet?), God knows they are shitty software engineers, and keep mucking up Android. And their gimmicky implementations are for the most part pointless. That being said, they have the production channels to even rival Apple. Also they have a very extensive network of carriers all across the globe buying their phones.

Just stating that Samsung is going to try and break away from Google's grip

In regards to Google Play Services, I'm talking about this:

Google Play Services takes care of lower-level APIs and background services, and the other part of Google's fragmentation takedown plan involves the Play Store. Google has been on a multi-year mission to decouple just about every non-system app from the OS for easy updating on the Play Store. Take a quick look at Google's Play Store account and you'll see a huge list of apps, many of which ship by default in Android. Gmail, Maps, Search, Chrome, Calendar, the keyboard, YouTube, and even the Play Store itself are all separately updatable.

The above list is a good representation of the current update situation in Android. Nearly everything that can be moved out of the main OS has been. The only features left that would require an OS update are things like hardware support, Application Frameworks APIs, and Apps that require a certain level of security or access (like the lock screen, Phone, and Settings apps).

i thought this was interesting.

Virgin Mobile this morning announced the ZTE Supreme, a 5-inch smartphone running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. It's running for $299 on Virgin's no-contract plans, which start at $35 a month.

In addition to the 1280x720 display, the Supreme sports a 13-megapixel rear camera and is powered by a 2,500 mAh battery. It also comes preloaded with Real Racing 3.

we got prepaid 5" 720p phones for $299 now!?

71rGVkd.jpg
fkc1na6.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Matte back, fuck that. Nexus 4 is clearly the best built Nexus phone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
\

They also have a picture of the battery, and it reconfirms 2300mah. I hope Google optimized the fuck out of this thing in KitKat.

No, it makes the Nexus 4 the nicest looking one. In terms of durability, it's probably the worst.
Fair enough about durability. I prefer glass but it certainly isn't durable. That matte back could be had on the current Nexus 4 with a case. How boring. Welcome back, T-Mobile Wing.

Weak about the 2300 mah. I'm thinking I'll take an off year. I'll still get Kit Kat.

SimleuqiR

Yeah, that's the point of the article. The FCC goofed.

The FCC entry these pictures are in is for the LG G2 Verizon variant. However, the pictures are clearly for the Nexus 5, not the LG G2.

Love how the camera focused on the reflection of it self instead of the device:

47470_800.jpg

Very little side bezel.

There are some clearer pictures of the measurements here under internal photos:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...Frame=N&application_id=199417&fcc_id=ZNFVS980

Someone with better eyes take a look at comparing the size to a Nexus 4.

Dimension seems to be actually smaller than the N4

The phone itself is smaller than the Nexus 4. It has a bigger screen, but it's smaller in size.

Fair enough about durability. I prefer glass but it certainly isn't durable. That matte back could be had on the current Nexus 4 with a case. How boring. Welcome back, T-Mobile Wing.

Weak about the 2300 mah. I'm thinking I'll take an off year. I'll still get Kit Kat.

If the price is right, this is a no-brainer upgrade for me, even coming from an Nexus 4. Slightly bigger battery, faster, more-battery efficient processor, and hopefully, a not-garbage camera. Plus, no glass. So, I can forgo a case (I use a matte case now with my N4).

Nicktendo86

I can upgrade feb 2015, just a couple of months after n6 launch so will sit this one out. Hope kit kat brings optimisation to the n4 though....
Edit: toki the g2 is only so thin because of the buttons on the back, Google dont want that shit lol

kehs

Banned
The hell is up with that bullshit camera thing? lol

Nice to see the snapping magnets for the wireless charging though.

Groof

Man, the entire horse has been cut loose huh. Pics look great, wonder what the tiny indention at the top is.

The camera lens is still freaky as fuck though.

Groof

Yeah I think skipping this year will be a smart thing for us who have an N4. I'll deffo be up for a N6, when they have a 16.1mp cmos sensor and 6500mah car battery.

kehs

Banned
Nexus cameras will never be good or advanced. No camera manufactured is going to open source all their software algorithms(one of the most important parts of these digital cameras) just to be used on AOSP.

Nexus cameras will never be good or advanced. No camera manufactured is going to open source all their software algorithms(one of the most important parts of these digital cameras) just to be used on AOSP.

Google just needs to hire better camera software engineers, because the stock camera software is just terrible.

Does that mean Google can just make a Google Camera app for the Play Store along with its other proprietary apps that takes awesome pictures (assuming they have the engineers to do it)?

kehs

Banned
Google just needs to hire better camera software engineers, because the stock camera software is just terrible.

Does that mean Google can just make a Google Camera app for the Play Store along with its other proprietary apps that takes awesome pictures (assuming they have the engineers to do it)?

Up to a point. Some stuff happens on the camera/hardware layer, some stuff happens in the OS. The most important stuff happens pre-OS though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom