• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Could the FCC camera be a temporary one? Maybe that explains the small camera in a big hole.

tino

Banned
Yeah I think skipping this year will be a smart thing for us who have an N4. I'll deffo be up for a N6, when they have a 16.1mp cmos sensor and 6500mah car battery.

If google keep putting camera modules with tiny 1/4" sensors in their hardware, instead of the ones with 1/3" sensor like the other flagship phones, then it doesn't matter how many pixel the camera has.

Groof

If google keep putting camera modules with tiny 1/4" sensors in their hardware, instead of the ones with 1/3" sensor like the other flagship phones, then it doesn't matter how many pixel the camera has.

Which is funny, because they always go on about how important the camera experience is to them.
Maybe next year.

Ragus

Banned
Got my HTC One today and flashed it with CM 10.2. Am I blind, or are gamma and screen calibration setting gone? I remember having them on CM 10.1 on Note 2.

Up to a point. Some stuff happens on the camera/hardware layer, some stuff happens in the OS. The most important stuff happens pre-OS though.

Yes, and that stuff on the hardware layer isn't open source, so your original supposition about Nexus phones never getting good cameras due to camera manufacturers not wanting to release their source code is fairly moot.

The binaries/drivers for the camera and other hardware components are not open-sourced, even on Nexus phones.

Official binaries for the supported devices can be downloaded from Google's Nexus driver page, which add access to additional hardware capabilities with non-Open-Source code.

In other words, Nexus phones have just had bad camera sensors/hardware in the past; it has nothing to do with the camera manufacturers wanting to protect anything.

jokkir

Anyone see that Phoneblok video? So many people think it's just as easy putting your phone together like Lego and getting a superphone lel

kehs

Banned
Yes, and that stuff on the hardware layer isn't open source, so your original supposition about Nexus phones never getting good cameras due to camera manufacturers not wanting to release their source code is fairly moot.

The binaries/drivers for the camera and other hardware components are not open-sourced, even on Nexus phones.

In other words, Nexus phones have just had bad camera sensors/hardware in the past; it has nothing to do with the camera manufacturers wanting to protect anything.

They're still asked to provide the binaries for all that stuff for distributing the images. It's the reason the NS camera was shit compared to the GS. Same reason the GN got dumped hard for the verizon model due to the modem binaries. To avoid that, Google has just said "fuck it" and replaced the components altogether.

I guess I shouldn't have said open sourcing, but they're still asked to provide alot things that are supposed to give them an advantage.

These ads are pretty good. I wonder if the phone's marketing will help it sell. I can see it once Moto Maker stops being att exclusive.

By then, it will be way too late. The minute they signed an exclusivity deal with AT&T the mass market prospects for this phone were dead in the water. That was such a boneheaded move.

The exclusivity deal was for only 6 weeks, and the general logic behind why time is an issue for smartphone sales is flawed. I'll take the lonely position of expecting good sales for the X, but only time will tell.

The only rumors I've read point to it being exclusive until November, which is 10 weeks if it's early November and 13 if it's late November.

That's a long time for a phone to sit in the market with its most unique feature being locked down.

All the marketing right now is borderline misleading.

"A PHONE, DESIGNED BY YOU."*

*If you're on AT&T, otherwise get black or white.​

I can see a lot of people being interested in the phone, then quickly losing interest once they see that the marketing only applies to AT&T.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The exclusivity deal was for only 6 weeks, and the general logic behind why time is an issue for smartphone sales is flawed. I'll take the lonely position of expecting good sales for the X, but only time will tell.

I'm kind of with you. I think the X may sell well. Do people even care when a new phone comes out? What do they care if a phone has been out for two months? It's not necessarily the latest and greatest all the time, is it? "I can customize this thing however I want?" That seems like it would be pretty attractive to the unwashed masses.

I'm kind of with you. I think the X may sell well. Do people even care when a new phone comes out? What do they care if a phone has been out for two months? It's not necessarily the latest and greatest all the time, is it? "I can customize this thing however I want?" That seems like it would be pretty attractive to the unwashed masses.

They may not care when it came out, but are they going to wait two months just for the customization once they find out they can't get it on their current carrier? Probably not. They'll just get another device.

The marketing blitz is happening now, and it's only applicable to one carrier. That's a big issue. If they do a second, bigger marketing push in November, then maybe, it will work out.

Bboy AJ

They may not care when it came out, but are they going to wait two months just for the customization once they find out they can't get it on their current carrier? Probably not. They'll just get another device.

The marketing blitz is happening now, and it's only applicable to one carrier. That's a big issue. If they do a second, bigger marketing push in November, then maybe, it will work out.

Your second point is a good one. I don't think the first one matters. Moto may lose those customers but it doesn't mean the phone itself will fail. The customers who are in the market when customization is available to all carriers could work out. I'm surprised there's even a marketing push now. I'd hold off until Moto Maker wasn't exclusive.

I'm downtown right now watching a girl repeat OK Google now over and over and it won't work lmao.
Haha, amazing.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
New G2 battery stats:
MqZJywh.png

This is with 3hr8m13s screen time

I hate that you keep horse beating that terrible joke.

BTW I am thinking making another prepaid thread, do you want to help me?

but terrible jokes can be fun! i don't think anyone got the recurring joke i had going for a while when responding to Moto X posts with 3 words. it made sense to me, and i was thinking maybe someone would notice it despite the vagueness, but i guess people couldn't tell.

and sure, i'm down, especially now with AT&T going in with their AIO brand! things are heating up in prepaid!

SimleuqiR

Have you guys seen the new Twitter beta update?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...-navigation-but-still-no-tablet-optimization/

I can't believe what I'm seeing!

Why not?

Though Twitter has been killing off third-party apps they have constantly updated their official client. Little by little they've been getting to a very goodlooking stable client.

Now they have leapfrogged Facebook. Goddam FB with all those billions and can't make a "good" FB app for Android.

Note: I stopped using FB over a year ago, but I still hear and read people complain about their app.

The old UI was fine. I'm not sure why they thought they had to re-do everything.

It looked nice and was very simple. Now, it's kind of a mess with how many ways therea re to access the exact same functions.

bob page

Ewwwww, looks like ios7, not in a good way.

Just tried it out and it's terrible. It's fast but there's a ton of wasted space, two menus for some reason, and every tweet has action items (plus holding a tweet brings up the exact same actions). Stupid.

They wanted it to match iOS 7 and ended up being a huge downgrade.

Doopliss

It seems that for the beta Twitter have written a custom implementation of the action bar, and it feels so janky. Long-pressing an icon doesn't pop up a toast with the name of the action. When you press search the app icon shifts position a little bit. The 'hamburger' doesn't animate when you open the navigation drawer. The overflow menu is detached from the action bar by a few pixels and it has a different icon for some reason... maybe it's to warn us that they don't care about following design guidelines.

It's definitely a step back from the old app where the action bar functioned as expected.

Aside from that the new app looks really cluttered with the cramped text on the tabs and reply/retweet/favourite buttons attached to every single tweet.

Got my HTC One today and flashed it with CM 10.2. Am I blind, or are gamma and screen calibration setting gone? I remember having them on CM 10.1 on Note 2.
It was a device specific setting on the Note. There probably wasn't an equivalent on the HTC One. However, since the 10.2 update, devices are no longer allowed their own settings screen. Everything needs to be implemented in the proper settings app, so there's a good chance the option doesn't exist on the Note any more either.

It seems that for the beta Twitter have written a custom implementation of the action bar, and it feels so janky. Long-pressing an icon doesn't pop up a toast with the name of the action. When you press search the app icon shifts position a little bit. The 'hamburger' doesn't animate when you open the navigation drawer. The overflow menu is detached from the action bar by a few pixels and it has a different icon for some reason... maybe it's to warn us that they don't care about following design guidelines.

It's definitely a step back from the old app where the action bar functioned as expected.

Aside from that the new app looks really cluttered with the cramped text on the tabs and reply/retweet/favourite buttons attached to every single tweet.

The number in the notifications/speech bubble isn't centered properly either. Also, why is there a small gap between tweets in the "Home" heading and the heading bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom