• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehbible

Nexus 5 specs that are confirmed via FCC documents

Y5rSYuG.jpg

Model #: LG-D820 (LG-D821 is for Rogers/Bell)
Carrier: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, metroPCS, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile [Verizon will not get Nexus 5]
Networks: GSM/CDMA/WCDMA/LTE
Screen: 4.96 inch 1920x1080 IPS LCD
Dimensions: 131.9mm x 68.2 x ?? (no depth noted) [in comparison, the Nexus 4 is 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1]
SoC: MSM8974A (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800)
GPU: Adreno 330
Camera: 13MP Sony IMX135 Exmor CMOS Sensor F/2.4 w/ OIS and 2.1MP front facing camera (See comparison video, check the LG G2). <--- based off the LG G2 sensor if they use the same parts, so count this as a rumor!
Qi Wireless Charging
WiFi 2.4GHz b/g/n/ac + 5GHz a/n/ac
Bluetooth 4.0 + BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)
2300 mAh non-removable battery
NFC

HawkeyeIC

Nexus 5 specs that are confirmed via FCC documents

Model #: LG-D820 (LG-D821 is for Rogers/Bell)
Carrier: AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, metroPCS, Virgin Mobile, Boost Mobile [Verizon will not get Nexus 5]
Networks: GSM/CDMA/WCDMA/LTE
Screen: 4.96 inch 1920x1080 IPS LCD
Dimensions: 131.9mm x 68.2 x ?? (no depth noted) [in comparison, the Nexus 4 is 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1]
SoC: MSM8974A (Qualcomm Snapdragon 800)
GPU: Adreno 330
Camera: 13MP Sony IMX135 Exmor CMOS Sensor F/2.4 w/ OIS and 2.1MP front facing camera (See comparison video, check the LG G2). <--- based off the LG G2 sensor if they use the same parts, so count this as a rumor!
Qi Wireless Charging
WiFi 2.4GHz b/g/n/ac + 5GHz a/n/ac
Bluetooth 4.0 + BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy)
2300 mAh non-removable battery
NFC

I'm switching to AT&T, screw Verizon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm switching to AT&T, screw Verizon.

Go with T-Mo baby, I can't speak highly enough. Amazing service. Unlimited everything for $50 (add $20 for unlimited non-throttled 4G LTE.)

Second line $30, every other line just $10... it's amazeballs, yo.

(Apparently MetroPCS is cheaper and uses the same network but they're not fab pink so screw them.)

potam

Banned
Go with T-Mo baby, I can't speak highly enough. Amazing service. Unlimited everything for $50 (add $20 for unlimited non-throttled 4G LTE.)

Second line $30, every other line just $10... it's amazeballs, yo.

(Apparently MetroPCS is cheaper and uses the same network but they're not fab pink so screw them.)

I'm really considering it. I live in Atlanta (in-town, not in the suburbs), so I'm sure coverage wouldn't be an issue when I'm at work, school, or home. But then I just fear going anywhere outside the metro area. I've become so accustomed to Verizon working damn near everywhere that I don't want to go back to searching for bars.

But god damn them prices. And if I could get a N5 off contract for $300-400, it'd be a hard proposition to turn down.

Loving what I see of the nexus 5 other than the battery being average, 4.4 better do to battery what project butter did to smoothness. Time to optimize dat shit.

When do you think Google will announce the Nexus 5 anyway and when do you think it'll be in stores?

I would have told you a while ago that october announcement and late october/early november release. But things seem to be happening quickly so I'll say late sept/early oct announcement and late oct release.

tehbible

I'm really considering it. I live in Atlanta (in-town, not in the suburbs), so I'm sure coverage wouldn't be an issue when I'm at work, school, or home. But then I just fear going anywhere outside the metro area. I've become so accustomed to Verizon working damn near everywhere that I don't want to go back to searching for bars.

But god damn them prices. And if I could get a N5 off contract for $300-400, it'd be a hard proposition to turn down.

I'm switching from Verizon (loyal customer, unlimited granfathered plan) to T-Mobile and going on that web-exclusive only $30/month prepaid plan. Only 100 min talk time, but you can turn the phone into a VoIP and make/receive calls using data. Unlimited text and data, throttled after 5GB. First 5GB gives you LTE though.

The one major difference between prepaid and postpaid however, is that on prepaid plan, you will not be able to get data roaming as you would on postpaid plan. There are no data roaming charges on T-Mobile.

I wish Nexus phones would go back to OLED displays. I want them deep blacks. Google needs to skimping on battery life too.

No way that phone is $299 off contract, right? I'm thinking $450-$499 or more.
I think the cheapest model (probably 16GB) will be $350 or $400 off contract, which is still cheap as hell considering the specs.

meh I wouldn't be surprised if it's 350/400 for 16gb/32gb but I could see google wanting to hit it out the park with paper thin margins at 299/350. People were blown away that the nexus 4 was that price.

On another note, I work for a different provider now, started 2 days ago. I then had a chance to sell and try out a Sony ZL. Good god that phone is laggy. Felt bad for the guy after I sold it. It's everything I thought Android phones had finally banished (aside from low end turds).

Not sure I want to sell another one :/

Talon

On another note, I work for a different provider now, started 2 days ago. I then had a chance to sell and try out a Sony ZL. Good god that phone is laggy. Felt bad for the guy after I sold it. It's everything I thought Android phones had finally banished (aside from low end turds).

Cue ZOMG in 3...2...

Toki767

I actually wonder what odds are of the Nexus 5 having the same IPS+ screen the G2 has. That's probably the one place where Google might cheap out on to get the price down.

tino

Banned
meh I wouldn't be surprised if it's 350/400 for 16gb/32gb but I could see google wanting to hit it out the park with paper thin margins at 299/350. People were blown away that the nexus 4 was that price.

Its doable. Xiaomi 3 is basically same spec with larger battery and worst camera. $330 (with the 10% Chinese vaule added tax) for the 16gb version. Although I can see Google getting a slower Snapdragon to save money. I don't see the point of Google pushing for the faster chip.

tehbible

Its doable. Xiaomi 3 is basically same spec with larger battery and worst camera. $330 (with the 10% Chinese vaule added tax) for the 16gb version. Although I can see Google getting a slower Snapdragon to save money. I don't see the point of Google pushing for the faster chip.

i can see this happening. if they put a snapdragon 600 in there they could get away with a $349 phone - $399 max phone.

tino

Banned
i can see this happening. if they put a snapdragon 600 in there they could get away with a $349 phone - $399 max phone.

The Nexus 4 having faster chip than S3/OneX didn't help google move more N4. Google should spend the money on screen and camera, not speed.

Toki767

Sometimes I forget that my phone is only an S4 processor. It doesn't really feel slow or anything unless I compare it to newer phones I guess.

I have no idea what is wrong with the Z/ZL. My friend whi works at Optus showed me one that Sony gave him and that thing performs like an Android 2.# phone.

The camera and screen are strangely poor as well. And the screen has that awful shatterproof sheet which attracts fingerprints and oil like nothing else.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Are you gonna pretend the display on the n4 doesn't turn to shit a few angles off axis?

I don't use my phone unless it's at a 75 degree angle. I don't know what more I can do. Holding it straight seems dumb. Looking at anything straight seems dumb tbh. I always make sure to rotate my head so it touches my shoulder while looking up with my eyes and position my phone near my stomach for the best terrible viewing angle... Yet I can still see the blacks smearing on a S4.

Edit- I'm just being a drunk ass. Don't take it personal.

jey_16

Banned
I have no idea what is wrong with the Z/ZL. My friend whi works at Optus showed me one that Sony gave him and that thing performs like an Android 2.# phone.

The camera and screen are strangely poor as well. And the screen has that awful shatterproof sheet which attracts fingerprints and oil like nothing else.

I almost bought the Z, glad I didn't. It looks nice in pictures but when you actually hold it in your hand, it's awful. Just one big block, the ergonomics are terrible, not sure how it sold so well.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So, then yes is the answer.

oh ok

Truth be told the viewing angles are still better than the Z from Sony and I'd rather have worse viewing angles than smeared blacks like the S4. I guess this applies to different types of users. I tend to look at my phone straight on.

With auto brightness on I don't really understand what the issue is tbh.

Meanwhile the AMOLED screen are smearing in every direction.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Please. Please, no more of these posts. N4 was just as top of the line when it came out for $300 off contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom