• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Probably can't get the colour to enter the fake leather dimples properly.

While most micro USB connectors are low budget and not quite sturdy, at least it's really convenient and cheap. Being able to bring all my electronics and only one or two cables that work with all of them is a godsend. My camera, tablet and phone all charge through the same cable, and that's pretty much what I bring along, so I'm set, just like that. Were it to break in travels I could just buy a new, cheap one and keep going.

i agree, but if it was a full standard that everyone uses, it would be the same. I also dislike the power available for USB (since the high power isn't really "standard" and not all cables or connectors and support the high power mode)...

catmincer

I saw Z at a store and it looked huge and I really want the water proofing. It rains a lot here during fall and spring so I want the piece of mind that my phone doesn't get broken by a little bit of water. I'm not the type to do yearly upgrades so I want the phone to be sturdy like that.

I've never seen how big the ZR in real live. So don't know if it's that much smaller than the Z. I'll probably go check some store to test the Z again and see if it's as big as I remember.

The ZR is really not much smaller. It's also a lot thicker for a 4.5" screened phone vs a 5"er.

ZR: (131 x 67.4 x 10.4 mm)
Z: (139 x 71 x 7.9 mm)

They also weigh the same a similar amount

sony-xperia-zr-vs-xperia-z-compared-and-contrasted-which-should-you-buy-1.jpg

Husker86

Well, after my first full day with the iPhone 5s, I can say that the GS4 has better battery life. I knew Android had made strides, but I haven't been able to directly compare for myself.

But yeah, TouchID is kickass. Hope this comes to Android soon (besides Samsung, you know they'll have it in their first phone of next year).

Probably gonna go 50/50 time split between the 5s and GS4. Google needs to get their damn music app on iOS.

Toki767

Considering Samsung is pretty much the only Android manufacturer left who still has a physical home button, I don't imagine TouchID type features will be coming to Android anytime soon.

I'm really really close to dumping Sprint and paying the ETF to come to Verizon. I am looking to get a used phone so I don't have to sign a 2 year contract with an S4 since the S5 will be coming in 6 months or so. On Sprint I have an EVO LTE and I'm looking at either the S3 or the Droid DNA on Verizon. Which would you guys suggest? I'm leaning S3 because of the SD slot.

I'm really really close to dumping Sprint and paying the ETF to come to Verizon. I am looking to get a used phone so I don't have to sign a 2 year contract with an S4 since the S5 will be coming in 6 months or so. On Sprint I have an EVO LTE and I'm looking at either the S3 or the Droid DNA on Verizon. Which would you guys suggest? I'm leaning S3 because of the SD slot.

RAZR Maxx HD. Dat battery life.

Either of those are fine choices. The HTC One is also a good choice.

What was the last Android phone you used? I'd imagine two years ago they were still on Gingerbread.

Wouldn't get a HTC one if you want a great camera. It's good, but I don't think it'll meet your needs.

Thanks for the help on this! So, since I have made up my mind on switching, I need to ask....

I have kept my iPhone jail broken for 2 apps: I Caught U, and BiteSMS. I love ICU's security features, and BSMS' ability to read and reply from a locked screen.

Anything like that for Android?

Toki767

Virtually every SMS app on Android has the option to respond from the lockscreen.

Not quite sure what I Caught U is, but I'd imagine there would be an Android equivalent.

Husker86

Considering Samsung is pretty much the only Android manufacturer left who still has a physical home button, I don't imagine TouchID type features will be coming to Android anytime soon.

It doesn't have to be part of the home button. It can just be any area under the screen.

And.....Well shit. Fucked up the SIM tray in the GS4. Wanted to keep my nano-to-micro SIM adapter in my GS4 so I always knew where it was. Well...bad thing to put an empty SIM adapter in the type of tray the GS4 uses! Messed up some pins when pulling it out.

Luckily the part is easily replaced and only costs $5 on eBay.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder if the Nexus 5 uses a nano SIM. Does the G2? If so, I may need to cut down my SIM. Again.

Thanks for the help on this! So, since I have made up my mind on switching, I need to ask....

I have kept my iPhone jail broken for 2 apps: I Caught U, and BiteSMS. I love ICU's security features, and BSMS' ability to read and reply from a locked screen.

there are several apps that can take a pic on a wrong password entry, including Cerberus. and there are replacement SMS apps that do popups and also popup addons that don't replacve the SMS app ike SMS Popup.

ChompSMS on Android is made by the same people behind BiteSMS. Don't know if it'll do what you want though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.p1.chompsms

Hasney

What's the deal with micro USB 3.0 when it's not even micro anymore.

Needed more pins and a way to still be backwards compatible with the old micro USB. I like the compromise they came with, although it might be too big for some phones.

Groof

Needed more pins and a way to still be backwards compatible with the old micro USB. I like the compromise they came with, although it might be too big for some phones.

Yes but you can't plug a µUSB 3.0 into an old 2.0 port, which makes it practically useless in a sea of devices with only a 2.0 plug. Regular USB 3.0 for example would still plug in to old 2.0 ports, all you did was lose out on the theoretical speeds.
They should've waited with this until they could hit the same sizes as old µUSB. As to how difficult or easy that is, I don't know. But that's just how I feel from a consumer standpoint.

ChompSMS on Android is made by the same people behind BiteSMS. Don't know if it'll do what you want though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.p1.chompsms

There is this GotYa! app. I'm guessing it does the same thing. Maybe more.

Thanks for these! The ChompSMS has the same look/features/layout as BiteSMS, so that will work. As for Gotya!, I will check it out. It has the same features as ICaughtU, but the whole "myboyfriendisageek" in the ID is throwing me off. The description in the store sounds just like what I use now, though, so I'll test it out.

there are several apps that can take a pic on a wrong password entry, including Cerberus. and there are replacement SMS apps that do popups and also popup addons that don't replacve the SMS app ike SMS Popup.

Thanks for this, too! I figured there would be many more options for things like this on Android, but I didn't know if any would be preferred over others. Now that I know there are alternatives to what I'm currently using, the switch should go much easier.

Thanks for all the help and replies!

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
I don't think chargers ever need to be USB 3.0 though. It's just for data and shit.

USB 3.0 has a higher power throughput though doesn't it?

I figure adding mUSB3 on the phone and regular USB3 on the charger would lower recharge times by quite a bit, not just data transfer. It should also decrease charge times if you plugged your phone into a USB3 port on a computer.

Oh my dear lord. I just installed a 4.3 rom on my S3.

Wow.

WOW.

WHOA.

It's like butter. Real butter. ; ;

I still want a new phone though, but for once. I'm going to wait on announcements before I place an order.

tino

Banned
C'mon, would you really want to watch 4 full length films on your phone?

I don't watch movies on phone. I watch BBC documentary, coursera lectures, sometimes video game walkthroughs haha.

If I go on a hiking day trip I want to load a few hours of video to alleviate my boredom.

Pyrokai

Hey guys. ...having a problem here...

I have a Galaxy S3 and use Gmail contacts synced with my phone for all my contacts. I have never had a problem, and anything done to edit/add/remove a contact has always worked seemlessly for me in that I can do it on my phone or via Gmail web page without any problems. However, now it seems that it's only working one way. If I make a change on actual web Gmail, that change appears in the contacts on my phone and syncs fine. BUT if I do it on my PHONE, these changes don't appear in Gmail.

Anyone know what'soup with this? I just noticed it today when I realized a few new contacts I added in the past month weren't showing up on web Gmail.

I've checked everything I could think of, done a couple tests, and it seems like sync is up and fine. What's going on? I'm hoping there is a quick and easy fix I'm overlooking.

Pyrokai

BONUS! QUESTION!

I would REALLY like to install the 4.3 software onto my S3. I just fot this phone and can't stand all the bloat or the proprietary Samsung UI and want a clean slate with the most current version of Android whilst ensuring it will will still work with this hardware and my carrier (Verizon).

Is there a dumby-guide out there for this exact situation? I've never rooted a phone and installed an ROM before, so I'm stupid with this stuff. But I really want to do this.....

Also....Havng serious difficulties with editing posts on my phone. Sorry fornposting twice in a row. It was meant to be an edit to my above post.

tino

Banned
BONUS! QUESTION!

I would REALLY like to install the 4.3 software onto my S3. I just fot this phone and can't stand all the bloat or the proprietary Samsung UI and want a clean slate with the most current version of Android whilst ensuring it will will still work with this hardware and my carrier (Verizon).

Is there a dumby-guide out there for this exact situation? I've never rooted a phone and installed an ROM before, so I'm stupid with this stuff. But I really want to do this.....

Also....Havng serious difficulties with editing posts on my phone. Sorry fornposting twice in a row. It was meant to be an edit to my above post.

Just install a 3rd party launcher will you. If you have to ask these questions you may not ready for ROM flashing. If your phone is root, you can backup and uninstall Samsung software.

Pyrokai

Just install a 3rd party launcher will you. If you have to ask these questions you may not ready for ROM flashing. If your phone is root, you can backup and uninstall Samsung software.

Well, I'm not stupid (in general). I've just never done it before. So I'm stupid with it until I'm educated ;)

So what I desire (stock Android 4.3 installed and working on a Verizon S3) doesn't seem to be a possibility, then? If I got a new launcher, how would that get rid of the bloat and custom UI?

tino

Banned
Well, I'm not stupid (in general). I've just never done it before. So I'm stupid with it until I'm educated ;)

So what I desire (stock Android 4.3 installed and working on a Verizon S3) doesn't seem to be a possibility, then? If I got a new launcher, how would that get rid of the bloat and custom UI?

See if you can root your phone first.

90% of what you want can be done with a root phone.

Fatalah

I jumped the gun and installed Hangouts 1.2 via Android Police's apk.

My LTTP impressions:
• Status icons only appear on the Buddy List screen.
• Status icons do not appear in your current Hangouts screen, nor when you pull up an actual conversation.

• If a user is idle, they will be given a GREEN status. (Not the worst thing in the world)

• Signing out is not easily accessible, as it's hidden under settings.

• Looks like Google wants to change user behavior, by removing status options.
• Instead of hitting the Away button, you hit a snooze button to silence message alerts for a set period of time you choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom