• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toki767

I'm scared.

So what are the main roms you would recommend to look into? I'll have a mooch around if you name some.

I use Slim on my S3. I know they have a build for the S4. It's super slick and customizable. There's also Paranoid Android, regular CyanogenMod, AOKP, PAC, and some other ones that are popular.

Tc91

I use Slim on my S3. I know they have a build for the S4. It's super slick and customizable. There's also Paranoid Android, regular CyanogenMod, AOKP, PAC, and some other ones that are popular.

Damn they all look nice, thanks for the help my man. I'm off to have a in depth look at them.

catmincer

I was supposed to buy my first smart phone like a month ago. But I've been waiting for Sony Xperia ZR's price to drop. One store had it for 499 but it's out of stock. Another store is constantly having it in stock and out of stock, and that store has Xperia Z for 487€ so when ZR comes back in stock it'l probably be cheaper but there's no info when they'll get a shipment. Argh.

I'd get the Z tbh. Have you tried both out? If you don't need water proofing also look at the SP

Massa

I like ios7 but if you don't have a later iphone it does run noticeably poorly. At work I saw it on this dudes iphone 4 and it ran like shit.

My niece has an iPhone 5 and she called me to ask if it's possible to downgrade, she's not happy with the performance.

Atruvius

I'd get the Z tbh. Have you tried both out? If you don't need water proofing also look at the SP

I saw Z at a store and it looked huge and I really want the water proofing. It rains a lot here during fall and spring so I want the piece of mind that my phone doesn't get broken by a little bit of water. I'm not the type to do yearly upgrades so I want the phone to be sturdy like that.

I've never seen how big the ZR in real live. So don't know if it's that much smaller than the Z. I'll probably go check some store to test the Z again and see if it's as big as I remember.

Talon

My niece has an iPhone 5 and she called me to ask if it's possible to downgrade, she's not happy with the performance.
Plenty zippy on the 4S and the 5 in this household. What is your niece using that's affecting the performance?

gcubed

ive gotten 2 separate facebook updates on my phone since google started rolling out the new apps ... still haven't gotten new gmail, search or voice. Google, take your rollout window for a freaking app and shove it up your ass

Tc91

Uh oh :(

I think I might of fucked my phone up. I did the root and what not and now it won't let me install Cyanogen mod through the recovery tool.

My phone won't boot up either.

Talon

Uh oh :(

I think I might of fucked my phone up. I did the root and what not and now it won't let me install Cyanogen mod through the recovery tool.

My phone won't boot up either.
The fear of bricking your phone is part of the fun.

I remember upgrading to Windows 6.1 on my HTC Dash and thinking it was bricked for 24 hours. Such fun!

Tc91

The fear of bricking your phone is part of the fun.

I remember upgrading to Windows 6.1 on my HTC Dash and thinking it was bricked for 24 hours. Such fun!

This is far from fun D:

I'm shitting myself. Currently trying to un root it following a YouTube video. Downloading the stock firmware at the moment.

gcubed

This is far from fun D:

I'm shitting myself. Currently trying to un root it following a YouTube video. Downloading the stock firmware at the moment.

if you haven't i nstalled a new ROM you didn't brick it. If you can get into fastboot you are fine.

Tc91

if you haven't i nstalled a new ROM you didn't brick it. If you can get into fastboot you are fine.

Nah I didn't install the ROM, just tried to through the recovery tool.

Is fastboot in TWRP recovery?

Edit: Now I can't even access TWRP. Phone just reboots and stalls on the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 screen.

so wait, you'll get it in google time. 0-7 days, roll of the dice.

what phone and what guide?

Galaxy S4 and it was a guide on YouTube on how to root + install Cyanogen but it seems like I've goofed.

Ahhh fuck. Grey charging screen now whenever I plug it in to charge.

Nah I didn't install the ROM, just tried to through the recovery tool.

Is fastboot in TWRP recovery?

Edit: Now I can't even access TWRP. Phone just reboots and stalls on the Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 screen.

Galaxy S4 and it was a guide on YouTube on how to root + install Cyanogen but it seems like I've goofed.

Ahhh fuck. Grey charging screen now whenever I plug it in to charge.

travel on over to xda forums. They can help There's probably a guide too.

You cant even boot into recovery?

Tc91

travel on over to xda forums. They can help There's probably a guide too.

You cant even boot into recovery?

Nope the blue writing comes up in the top left but it just boots to the GT-I9505 screen and stalls.

Edit: Okay scratch that, taking the battery out and putting it back in works fine, I'm in the recovery part now. Where's fastboot?

Nope the blue writing comes up in the top left but it just boots to the GT-I9505 screen and stalls.

Edit: Okay scratch that, taking the battery out and putting it back in works fine, I'm in the recovery part now. Where's fastboot?

OK. STOP. lol

First off go to xda forums, search for the S4 forums and look for a rooting guide. It's step by step and will take you through the whole process. Random youtube videos are not a good idea.

what PC OS? Windows? did you already install the Samsung USB drivers? do you have the proper version of ODIN? if you're in recovery and connected via USB, does ODIN see a device? do you have the recovery and rom downloaded and ready to flash?

Tc91

OK. STOP. lol

First off go to xda forums, search for the S4 forums and look for a rooting guide. It's step by step and will take you through the whole process. Random youtube videos are not a good idea.

LOL FUCK. PRAISE THE LORD. Installing Cyogenmod has worked after taking out the battery and putting it back in.

THANK YOU GOD.

I'm actually tempted to just scrap it all and get back to how the phone came. That scared the life out of me when it wouldn't boot up.

gcubed

LOL FUCK. PRAISE THE LORD. Installing Cyogenmod has worked after taking out the battery and putting it back in.

THANK YOU GOD.

I'm actually tempted to just scrap it all and get back to how the phone came. That scared the life out of me when it wouldn't boot up.

its very very hard to brick a phone anymore.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Yup. You'll be fine. I legit bricked my G1. I chalked it up as an L and stick to Nexus devices these days.

Volotaire

ulk5jVj.jpg

Did Samsung seriously release a fake stitched leather back for the Note 3?

Haha that's the normal backplate.

gcubed

Its actually easy to hardbrick nexus devices, its just incredibly stupid and no one would ever have any reason to do it.

well yes, its easy if you want to, but if your goal isn't to brick the device, its really really hard to, recovery's are a savior to modding vs the winmobile days

jokkir

Yeap. As long as you didn't f*** up installing recovery or unlocking the bootloader, there's a 95%+ chance you didn't brick your phone. And even then, I'm sure there's a way to fix it.

You'll most likely hard brick your phone long before you brick it via installing software.

Groof

apparently the black ones shipped to retailers later than the white... maybe production issues?
Probably can't get the colour to enter the fake leather dimples properly.

i've come to dislike microusb. I want something a little more... sturdy for connections. The usb ports get loose over the life of the phone. Apple's mag connectors are one of their top inventions ever

While most micro USB connectors are low budget and not quite sturdy, at least it's really convenient and cheap. Being able to bring all my electronics and only one or two cables that work with all of them is a godsend. My camera, tablet and phone all charge through the same cable, and that's pretty much what I bring along, so I'm set, just like that. Were it to break in travels I could just buy a new, cheap one and keep going.

Probably can't get the colour to enter the fake leather dimples properly.
probably, didn't they have a similar issue with the blue GS3 last year? stuff not just coming out right....

While most micro USB connectors are low budget and not quite sturdy, at least it's really convenient and cheap. Being able to bring all my electronics and only one or two cables that work with all of them is a godsend. My camera, tablet and phone all charge through the same cable, and that's pretty much what I bring along, so I'm set, just like that. Were it to break in travels I could just buy a new, cheap one and keep going.
indeed. the standard is rated for 10,000 insertions or something like that...

Shambles

WhatsApp is (unsurprisingly) a piece of shit.

What? I've used it for years without any issues except the odd time it can take a little while to recognize when someone else has made a new Whatsapp account. Simply reloading the app takes care of that. Now that I think of it I am annoyed that it severely limits video length and reduces picture quality. But it's quite the hyperbole to call it a piece of shit.

tino

Banned
What? I've used it for years without any issues except the odd time it can take a little while to recognize when someone else has made a new Whatsapp account. Simply reloading the app takes care of that. Now that I think of it I am annoyed that it severely limits video length and reduces picture quality. But it's quite the hyperbole to call it a piece of shit.

Every time I reboot my phone Whatsapp whine about time not in sync. Can't the devs figure out this simple issue?

Groof

Android Central has a black Note 3 and man, it looks so much better than the white one. The faux leather actually looks alright in black!

Bullza2o

Sorry if this has been discussed many times...

My mom's phone is a Galaxy Exhilirate running 4.0.x (I forgot x). I placed a microSD card in, but for some reason when I download new apps they don't go to the card. I don't think the pictures/videos go there either. I don't know what the purpose is having external memory if I can't put stuff in it...

thespot84

Sorry if this has been discussed many times...

My mom's phone is a Galaxy Exhilirate running 4.0.x (I forgot x). I placed a microSD card in, but for some reason when I download new apps they don't go to the card. I don't think the pictures/videos go there either. I don't know what the purpose is having external memory if I can't put stuff in it...

why move apps to SD after 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom