• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

I jumped the gun and installed Hangouts 1.2 via Android Police's apk.

My LTTP impressions:
• Status icons only appear on the Buddy List screen.
• Status icons do not appear in your current Hangouts screen, nor when you pull up an actual conversation.

• If a user is idle, they will be given a GREEN status. (Not the worst thing in the world)

• Signing out is not easily accessible, as it's hidden under settings.

• Looks like Google wants to change user behavior, by removing status options.
• Instead of hitting the Away button, you hit a snooze button to silence message alerts for a set period of time you choose.

If Google really wants this app to have SMS integrated I don't see the point of online status. When you text someone, you just do it. It doesn't matter that you know their current "status".

Just saying. Not everyone has Hangouts installed and if you want to really just use one app for ALL your messaging needs then an online status is not that necessary. The fact that you can tell if someone read or hasn't read the message is more important to me.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If Google really wants this app to have SMS integrated I don't see the point of online status. When you text someone, you just do it. It doesn't matter that you know their current "status".

Just saying. Not everyone has Hangouts installed and if you want to really just use one app for ALL your messaging needs then an online status is not that necessary. The fact that you can tell if someone read or hasn't read the message is more important to me.

Well the thing is, it doesn't have SMS yet. And there's no indication when it will, or if it ever will ("Hangouts is the future of Google Voice" isn't very specific.)

Online indicators are fine. How is more data a bad thing? And the thing is, Hangouts has always had online indicators (in the web/Chrome version.) Putting the equivalent on mobile is not a bad thing, it's feature parity.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
So apparently, "idle" or whatever is shown as green in the new Hangouts app, but not in the Chrome extension (no green bar.)

#FRAGMENTATION

Also, honestly since you only see the indicators on the "New Hangout" screen it basically doesn't matter as far as "but it should be like SMS where it doesn't matter if they're online!" Most of the time you won't be able to tell, but in those situations where it's crucial, you can hit up the new Hangout page to find out. It's a perfect balance, I think.

They definitely SHOULD implement SMS support ASAP though. It's hard convincing the rents to use it over texting until that happens.

mackattk

Well, I'm not stupid (in general). I've just never done it before. So I'm stupid with it until I'm educated ;)

So what I desire (stock Android 4.3 installed and working on a Verizon S3) doesn't seem to be a possibility, then? If I got a new launcher, how would that get rid of the bloat and custom UI?

Start here;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2332825

This will get you where you need to go, everything except for installing a third party rom, such as Cyanogenmod.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2405425

For cyanogenmod:

http://get.cm/?device=d2vzw

I would recommend downloading the latest stable release.

You will also need to install google apps alongside the rom:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B89vrGhlDBcERDlPV05WTkFDcUk&usp=sharing

Also, good luck. It can be easy to get lost. Watch multiple youtube videos and walkthroughs to help you get up and running.

about the Note 3 region lock...

Region-locke​d, except for when it's not

The region-lock only kicks in if you first "activate" it with a SIM from outside the list of approved countries.

As it happens, the crucial factor is which SIM card you first use when you set up the phone. Lars from AllAboutSamsung.de was given information to this effect when he got in touch with Samsung Germany, and it's since been confirmed by Nirave Gondhia, who got his hands on additional Note 3s to test the theory. A second Note 3, first "activated" with a UK SIM, could then be used with a UAE SIM — the same one rejected by the first device.

(This also explains what happened with our own unlocked Note 3. It was never region-locked, as we used our EE (UK) SIM to run through the initial setup.)

So the region-lock only kicks in if you first "activate" it — i.e., switch on the phone and run through setup — with a SIM from outside the list of approved countries. It's probably a measure designed to ensnare grey (unauthorized) importers of Samsung phones. And it means you should be very careful about which SIM card you use to activate any "unlocked" Samsung phone from now on.

Samsung gonna samsung

so bizarre

Edwardo

So i'm about to order a new phone and I'm just looking for some suggestions. I'm leaning towards either the GS4 or HTC One. I can get the HTC One for $75 cheaper than the GS4 as well.

I do a lot of social media, listening to music, internet browsing, taking pictures/video, and sometimes playing games.

My old phone was the Droid X, which as of this morning no longer turns on. It had been performing really poorly over the last 6 months or so (would restart on its own, had a huge delay, etc, etc..).

So i'm about to order a new phone and I'm just looking for some suggestions. I'm leaning towards either the GS4 or HTC One. I can get the HTC One for $75 cheaper than the GS4 as well.

I do a lot of social media, listening to music, internet browsing, taking pictures/video, and sometimes playing games.

My old phone was the Droid X, which as of this morning no longer turns on. It had been performing really poorly over the last 6 months or so (would restart on its own, had a huge delay, etc, etc..).

either one is a fine choice, but get the GS4! SD slot, swappable battery, etc...

Edwardo

either one is a fine choice, but get the GS4! SD slot, swappable battery, etc...

To be honest, I never even swapped out my sd card with the Droid X. Didn't have the issue with 16gb. Hmm, I might though if I end up putting more music on my phone.

Another random question.. Do any android phones have the ability to be part of group chats on iphones? If I ever got a group message on my Droid X from an iphone, everyone's responses would be sent to me as individual texts and I could only respond to them individually as well.

To be honest, I never even swapped out my sd card with the Droid X. Didn't have the issue with 16gb. Hmm, I might though if I end up putting more music on my phone.

Another random question.. Do any android phones have the ability to be part of group chats on iphones? If I ever got a group message on my Droid X from an iphone, everyone's responses would be sent to me as individual texts and I could only respond to them individually as well.

HTC One is 32GB as standard, doesn't have touchwiz, has better speakers and isn't plastic. That's my choice.

As far as group messaging, I don't think so.

snacknuts

we all knew her

Group messaging support was added to 4.2. Link (it's about halfway down the page, under "Messaging and Talk")

indeed.

Well the thing is, it doesn't have SMS yet. And there's no indication when it will, or if it ever will ("Hangouts is the future of Google Voice" isn't very specific.)

Online indicators are fine. How is more data a bad thing? And the thing is, Hangouts has always had online indicators (in the web/Chrome version.) Putting the equivalent on mobile is not a bad thing, it's feature parity.
well, we can't have it both ways... some thing has to give... either more information or SMS replacement...

VoxPop

Group messaging support was added to 4.2. Link (it's about halfway down the page, under "Messaging and Talk")

This has been pretty hit or miss for me. If I talk to people with iPhones, almost all of them have iMessage switched on, so I while I would be in a group chat, you don't see any of the messages cause they're iMessages amongst each other.

There's no surefire way to group chat seamlessly on Android with iPhone users unless everyone either turns off iMessage (but why would they) or they download and get on a whole different messaging service.

snacknuts

we all knew her
This has been pretty hit or miss for me. If I talk to people with iPhones, almost all of them have iMessage switched on, so I while I would be in a group chat, you don't see any of the messages cause they're iMessages amongst each other.
I haven't used my phone's built-in messaging platform in as long as I can remember (I refuse to pay for text messaging), so I didn't realize it was hit or miss.
There's no surefire way to group chat seamlessly on Android with iPhone users unless everyone either turns off iMessage (but why would they) or they download and get on a whole different messaging service.

Which they should do anyway because iMessage sucks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
well, we can't have it both ways... some thing has to give... either more information or SMS replacement...

And why are they mutually exclusive?

For the record, text messaging is super shitty. The only thing it has over traditional IM is message permanence.

gcubed

that is apples problem though. Sending a mass text out is a great IQ test. Everyone can laugh at the iphone users who "reply to all"

to be honest, i often made fun of it before i owned one, but... boomsound is pretty freaking awesome. Its definitely a huge plus 1 in the HTC Ones favor.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Hangouts
wAvFoG6.png

VoxPop

that is apples problem though. Sending a mass text out is a great IQ test. Everyone can laugh at the iphone users who "reply to all"

to be honest, i often made fun of it before i owned one, but... boomsound is pretty freaking awesome. Its definitely a huge plus 1 in the HTC Ones favor.

Well sending out a mass text, will send SMS to Android users and iMessages to iPhone users. iPhone users would be in a group chat with iMessage while the Android users would be sending back individual texts to everyone on the list.

iMessages is actually my fav part of iOS. Thought Hangouts would integrate something like that but nope.

Talon

Really? In my experience, it just defaults to text messages if at least one person in the "group text" doesn't use iMessage.

Mindwipe

They are awful. I've had two official ones die on me already, and a lot of people I know have had similar.

They appear to be not very fault tolerant, which is why I suspect that the non-official ones seem to fail at a staggering rate.

And the lightning connector design is daft - Apple won't let developers put a little lip on licenced docks, and their own case reference design therefore won't let the phone plug into any such dock without removing the case.

Well sending out a mass text, will send SMS to Android users and iMessages to iPhone users. iPhone users would be in a group chat with iMessage while the Android users would be sending back individual texts to everyone on the list.

iMessages is actually my fav part of iOS. Thought Hangouts would integrate something like that but nope.

what problems would that solve? i only see the creation of more problems.

Zeppu

Automatically switching between SMS and a good messaging system is a recipe for disaster.

In good messaging systems like Hangouts just because the user is offline doesn't mean that an SMS will get to the recipient and just because they're online it doesn't mean that a message will go through.

I have hangouts open on pretty much every device and computer I own all the time. Any message sent to hangouts will eventually reach me, but then again I am almost always marked as 'online'.

I loathe SMS though. Whenever anyone SMSes me I reply with 'lolSMS'.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I could easily see SMS screwing Hangouts up a fair bit. Pictures would be impossible, group messaging would be onerous, the permanence of messages would be pretty screwed, etc.

When I used an iphone the only time I ever had a trouble with imessage/sms integration was when I switched away from iphone. I wasn't getting some of my text messages because they were going to my imessage instead. That was pretty annoying for a short while but it kind of sorted itself out.

this_guy

You can use a third party text messaging app like Handcent or Gosms to enable group text messaging. (Android 4.2 adds it natively so the stock sms app can do it).

snacknuts

we all knew her
When I used an iphone the only time I ever had a trouble with imessage/sms integration was when I switched away from iphone. I wasn't getting some of my text messages because they were going to my imessage instead. That was pretty annoying for a short while but it kind of sorted itself out.

In the eight months that I had my iPhone 4S, I would say that iMessage would send stuff as SMS/MMS about 20% of the time, even when I had a solid data connection. Not the end of the world, but really annoying when I don't have a text plan and have to pay for every one of those fuckups.

kehs

Banned
I could easily see SMS screwing Hangouts up a fair bit. Pictures would be impossible, group messaging would be onerous, the permanence of messages would be pretty screwed, etc.

What do you mean by permanence of messages?

--

So no more Beats by Dre on HTC One by Verizon with LTE 4G an Sense on Android by Google

SimleuqiR

SMS will probably take a long time to die. I say this because it's the only messaging platform that connects all mobile devices, at least locally.

For example, iPhone users (and they are millions of them) are probably used to using iMessage as their all-in-one message app. Do most iPhone users want to also have hangouts installed, or Whatsapp? I think they rather keep things simple and use iMessage. I'm sure they would love for the whole world to just use iPhones so they only have to deal with one app for messaging. But not everyone has an iPhone, and if they want to use iMessage to send those none-iPhone users a message it will have to be through SMS.

Personally, my homescreen has way too many messaging platforms I have to deal with. I currently have:

Google Voice
Hangouts
Whatsapp
SMS app

That's three too many. I want one platform (app) that covers 95% of my incoming and outgoing messages. I say 95% because I still have two family members (overseas) on the Blackberry platform, and Whatsapp is the best way to communicate, as there is no Hangouts app for that OS.

Not everyone I message is on Hangouts (in the USA) and I have to revert to Google Voice or SMS app to communicate with them.

So Google including Voice SMS and standard SMS support on Hangouts would be awesome! Could they do it, and do it right? Not sure. But I hope they try. That would just leave me with Hangouts and Whatsapp to deal with.

Automatically switching between SMS and a good messaging system is a recipe for disaster.

In good messaging systems like Hangouts just because the user is offline doesn't mean that an SMS will get to the recipient and just because they're online it doesn't mean that a message will go through.

I have hangouts open on pretty much every device and computer I own all the time. Any message sent to hangouts will eventually reach me, but then again I am almost always marked as 'online'.

I loathe SMS though. Whenever anyone SMSes me I reply with 'lolSMS'.

If someone has Hangouts installed on their device, your message should alway be sent via that venue. The main reason my cousin was logged off of that hangouts account was because too many guys on G+ try to hang out with her. ::*cough*::

I want to assume most people don't take the time to log off hangouts, and will get your messages. The only time I believe Hangouts (with SMS support) should text someone is if that contact has never created a G+ account and don't have Hangouts installed.

VanWinkle

I got my used Galaxy Nexus in (my Verizon Galaxy S3 broke out of nowhere a few months ago and I'm not eligible for upgrade until next June). I have to say, I'm really loving the stock Google experience. It's just so slick and the OS is really beautiful. Even though the phone is older and far less powerful than the S3, it's way smoother than the S3 ever was. I mean, it's even smoother than my iPad Mini. It's crazy. So, yeah, I'm really happy with it and it should hold me until I get up for upgrade again QUITE well.

kinggroin

Banned
I got my used Galaxy Nexus in (my Verizon Galaxy S3 broke out of nowhere a few months ago and I'm not eligible for upgrade until next June). I have to say, I'm really loving the stock Google experience. It's just so slick and the OS is really beautiful. Even though the phone is older and far less powerful than the S3, it's way smoother than the S3 ever was. I mean, it's even smoother than my iPad Mini. It's crazy. So, yeah, I'm really happy with it and it should hold me until I get up for upgrade again QUITE well.

:)

#softbuttons

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

That's exactly right. You don't need to know their status. Just send the message. There's no need for an online indicator when you can see whether they've seen the message. Sounds like better, more useful information than online status.

Blackhead

Redarse
The best is still Samsung "Amycall".

And the $200 iPhone 5 that runs Android.

The joke is I would totally buy a $200—$400 iPhone 5/4s (or plastic 5c) that ran Android. I just want one small Android phone with a retina class display. I know Apple has a practical monopoly on those screens but it still amazes me that 3 years later, not one Android device with 3.5"/4.0" 326ppi screen has made it to Western markets...

yyzjohn

Banned
The joke is I would totally buy a $200—$400 iPhone 5/4s (or plastic 5c) that ran Android. I just want one small Android phone with a retina class display. I know Apple has a practical monopoly on those screens but it still amazes me that 3 years later, not one Android device with 3.5"/4.0" 326ppi screen has made it to Western markets...

Does it HAVE to be between 3.5-4"? Why not a 4.3" HTC one mini?

that's because the devices with a body the length and width of a 5 have 4.3" screens due to the much smaller bezels.

Blackhead

Redarse
Does it HAVE to be between 3.5-4"? Why not a 4.3" HTC one mini?

that's because the devices with a body the length and width of a 5 have 4.3" screens due to the much smaller bezels.

That thing is barely smaller than its big brother!
bingo. 4.3" Android handsets are getting close but they aren't as small as the iPhones. And, yes, I do want a 3.5"-4" screen as the width of the screen matters for swyping etc.

tino

Banned

If you are serious about getting one. I can ask my China contact to get one for you.

I know they have one that used the exact screen the 4s used, I haven't checked recently and don't know if there is one with the real iPhone 5 screen.

You have search taobao.com with "iPhone high quality copy" in Chinese to find them lol.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Preordered my 32GB black Galaxy Note 10.1 today at Best Buy. I'm excited, it comes out October 10th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom