• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who really loves the holo blue in Android, even I'll admit white/light gray icons are better since they match with almost anything. With my current home screen setup, blue icons would be outta place.

Lets hope this holds until the Note 3 and Nexus 5 is announced.

I don't want to upgrade untill I hear the KitKat announcement.
It's not going to hold out. They're already on the way to "fixing" it, although it's still messed up:

HaTt146.png

Notice the top says unlimited email and data while underneath it says 2GB data. (Left column is old plan, right column is new plan.)

Note 3 was one of the options for the upgrades already. :) $300 on a renewed contract.

Toki767

I feel like I'm screwed being on AT&T with virtually all their phones having a locked bootloader. If the Nexus 5 doesn't deliver, I don't know what I would want to upgrade to right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I feel like I'm screwed being on AT&T with virtually all their phones having a locked bootloader. If the Nexus 5 doesn't deliver, I don't know what I would want to upgrade to right now.

The only way for the N5 to not bring it is price. Even then, if it is $600+, well, that sucks but it's in line with the market. I just wouldn't buy it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Gmail app to have ads

Man, cmon Google. I don't want ads cluttering up my mobile screen and wasting bandwidth. All my apps are purchased and ad free. I bet there won't be such an option for Gmail. Oh well, hopefully it isn't that bad. Maps is OK. If I get spam emails Google wants me to save, no thanks.

I bet the push for larger mobile screens is Xbox style. More room for ads.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gmail app to have ads

Man, cmon Google. I don't want ads cluttering up my mobile screen and wasting bandwidth. All my apps are purchased and ad free. I bet there won't be such an option for Gmail. Oh well, hopefully it isn't that bad. Maps is OK. If I get spam emails Google wants me to save, no thanks.

Sad to say, but it might make me switch from the gmail app to another email app and just use that for my gmail account.

Milchjon

Met someone with a S4 Mini who's still a nice guy.

I'm so conflicted.

Gonna keep my eyes open to see if this massive character flaw carries over to other areas.

if i delete my picture from my profile (contacts-edit-remove photo). android doesn't seem to get rid of it in the quick setting menu. i want to go back to the generic smiley like see below. how do i do that?

Nicktendo86

Gmail app to have ads

If it is like the web version and just puts an add in my promotions tab I will be OK with it. Not happy, but not mad either.

this_guy

I kinda want to sell my 2013 Nexus 7 and get the Kindle Fire HDX. I use the Nexus 7 strictly for media consumption and web browsing, and being able to download Amazon Instant videos is a killer feature imo. The only other apps I use on my Nexus are Facebook and Fantasy football. I'll wait to see it in person and go from there.

I kinda want to sell my 2013 Nexus 7 and get the Kindle Fire HDX. I use the Nexus 7 strictly for media consumption and web browsing, and being able to download Amazon Instant videos is a killer feature imo. The only other apps I use on my Nexus are Facebook and Fantasy football. I'll wait to see it in person and go from there.
I dunno. I don't like dealing with multiple browsers and Flash, but I'd rather install Flash on my Nexus to watch Amazon Video than to be stuck with a limited version of Android. Or I'd just switch to Netflix/Google Play.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2382867

tr4656

Do you really not use anything else on the Nexus? Going from Nexus to limited android seems like a pretty bad idea.

AnkitT

if i delete my picture from my profile (contacts-edit-remove photo). android doesn't seem to get rid of it in the quick setting menu. i want to go back to the generic smiley like see below. how do i do that?
i think this has to do with the google plus app.

this_guy

Do you really not use anything else on the Nexus? Going from Nexus to limited android seems like a pretty bad idea.

Nope. I might use an app like TV Guide or Flixster to check movie times, but I don't use Google Play services at all on my tablet (different story on my phone). For web browsing and watching movies the Kindle Fire HDX gets the job done. I know you can use a browser with flash to watch Amazon Prime instant streaming, but that's a janky solution vs a dedicated app. Plus with this year's models able to download Prime instant streaming movies it makes a great travel device even better.

But I need to see it in person before I pull the trigger. If I do I'll have a like new Nexus 7 for sale with original box and charger.

reKon

Banned
Nexus 7 + Chromecast has been an amazing combination for me. I now watch all YouTube on my TV because it's so much easier than through my TV app or PS3. Most importantly, I'm able play music through my TV which are hooked up to my speakers through my nexus 7, via Google Music as opposed to have to have the Nexus 7 hooked up directly to the speakers.

Revoh

GAF, I need your help.
What's the best android phone I can get for about 120-150$?
I'm being a cheap bastard this time because I'm so tired of being robbed.
I got robbed back in february and lost my Samsung GT-I9000 (and oldie but great phone when modded)
Last monday I got robbed again by two guys and they stole my Nexus 4.
With my luck I'll probably get robbed again in a few months so I just want a cheap phone that lets me surf NeoGAF, use Whatsapp, Google Keep, have flash (I use it as a flashlight all the time), email (exchange & gmail) and that's it.
A big plus if it supports Cyanogenmod

tr4656

GAF, I need your help.
I got robbed back in february and lost my Samsung GT-I9000 (and oldie but great phone when modded)
With my luck I'll probably get robbed again in a few months so I just want a cheap phone that lets me surf NeoGAF, use Whatsapp, Google Keep, have flash (I use it as a flashlight all the time), email (exchange & gmail) and that's it.

You can find used Galaxy Nexus on swappa for that price range. I'm still using one on contract and its pretty great since it is a Nexus phone. Only downside compared to more modern devices imo is mainly RAM and screen.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
GAF, I need your help.

Damn, sorry for your luck! Something I'm always afraid of. Perhaps you could start carrying around a shitty burner? That is unless they see you using a nice phone and then accost you.

If they're just coming out of the blue you could hand them a shitty Trac-Fone with $10 in minutes on it.

Blackhead

Redarse
GAF, I need your help.

As tr4656 suggested, a galaxy nexus is your best bet for $150.

But you could also take advantage of the many phone recovery apps that are permitted and available on Android. You could also pay for phone insurance. If you use a crappy phone just because you're scared of it being stolen then the terrorists thieves have won

Quasar

So...samsung is region locking phones. Well fuck Samsung then. Yeah it can be gotten around apparently, but still. This practice is unacceptable.

tr4656

So...samsung is region locking phones. Well fuck Samsung then. Yeah it can be gotten around apparently, but still. This practice is unacceptable.

Yeah, it is a pretty terrible practice. Good thing there are plenty of other quality devices you can still get such as the Nexus or HTC ones. Sony Xperia phones seem to be pretty good except for their godawful screens.

Revoh

Damn, sorry for your luck! Something I'm always afraid of. Perhaps you could start carrying around a shitty burner? That is unless they see you using a nice phone and then accost you.

If they're just coming out of the blue you could hand them a shitty Trac-Fone with $10 in minutes on it.

I do have a shitty phone for that purpose now.

As tr4656 suggested, a galaxy nexus is your best bet for $150.

But you could also take advantage of the many phone recovery apps that are permitted and available on Android. You could also pay for phone insurance. If you use a crappy phone just because you're scared of it being stolen then the terrorists thieves have won

I had one recovery app installed but forgot to install it after wiping my N4 and install 4.2.2 on it (I was on 4.3, there's a post on the N4 thread about it).
As for phone insurance, I need to investigate about that. I don't know if my carrier gives me that option given that I didn't buy it from them, I imported the N4 from Amazon to South America. I plan to do the same thing now because it's so much cheaper than buying it here.

--
The Galaxy Nexus on Amazon are all listed from 300$ onwards. What's the exact model? Maybe I'm looking the wrong one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom