• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, a log file from a Nexus 5 leaked.

Prepare for potential disappointment:

It seems that the camera has been changed to an 8MP snapper (the Nexus 4 also got a lower-res camera than the Optimus G it was based on). It's too early to tell if there will be optical image stabilization (probably not though). There's a 1.2MP front-facing camera too.

This contradicts earlier rumors/"confirmations" that the N5 would have the same sensor as the G2. In fact, the FCC filing for the N5 had the same exact camera module as the G2. So, it's possible the log file is just reporting the N4's camera information, since as the GSM Arena article points out, the log refers to the phone as the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 at different points.

The log also confirms 16gb, at least. I'm guessing the options will be 16/32.

Now it's been a while since I used a Samsung phone, but I think if you go into setting and then the apps option there's a separate tab for apps on the SD card. Try that!

The app data says 0.00B on the SD card, so I assume its on the device memory. Would it make a difference for better or worse if it were installed on the card?

Groof

The app data says 0.00B on the SD card, so I assume its on the device memory. Would it make a difference for better or worse if it were installed on the card?
I figured if it was installed on the SD card that it might've affected performance for the worse. Guess that's not it then.

mturco

This contradicts earlier rumors/"confirmations" that the N5 would have the same sensor as the G2. In fact, the FCC filing for the N5 had the same exact camera module as the G2. So, it's possible the log file is just reporting the N4's camera information, since as the GSM Arena article points out, the log refers to the phone as the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 at different points.

I don't think the camera taking 8MP shots in and of itself is a disappointment (I mean look at the 5S camera). Plus, didn't Google say they were focusing on the camera for the next Nexus? They'd look pretty dumb to not deliver.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Hmm. Hopefully it has the G2 camera and battery. That's what I want. Make it happen, Google.

Groof

What do you expect for €200?

It looks like he didnt have HDR mode on either, which makes a substantial difference in quality.

The joke is that I have a Nexus 4. Guess ever since I got a proper camera I've used it so little I forgot.
Also flash ruins everything I guess. Turn on the lights man!

Shambles

Damn the Nexus 4 camera is shit. Like, for real.
Wow.

All smartphone cameras are, perhaps with the exception of the 1020. I haven't had hands on with that. I always find it funny that you see so many amazing looking pictures at the release of every flagship phone and then you get your hands on it and everything looks like garbage unless you have an entire lighting studio set up. And yes, this goes for the iPhones as well.

besiktas1

About to take a picture with the note 3 then nexus. Both same conditions... let's see :) also passing me off I can't get that s pen menu anymore. Not sure how I switched it off or doing wrong...

kehs

Banned
nexus 4 camera is bullshit. HDR only makes it worse because you gotta hold it for like three and a half minutes to get a half decent shot.

Eanan

Also flash ruins everything I guess. Turn on the lights man!

Xenon flash should be a standard for high end mobile phones IMO. I'd gladly pay another €30-50 for a xenon flash instead of a crappy LED flash.

One of the reasons ill always love my old Nokia N82. The phone was ahead of its time in a lot of aspects.

All smartphone cameras are, perhaps with the exception of the 1020. I haven't had hands on with that. I always find it funny that you see so many amazing looking pictures at the release of every flagship phone and then you get your hands on it and everything looks like garbage unless you have an entire lighting studio set up. And yes, this goes for the iPhones as well.

No the iPhone cameras are great. My dad has a 4S and it completely destroys any picture I've taken on my Nexus 4 and on my GF's S3.

besiktas1

Lol figured it out. There is a toggle outside the s pen menu called air command. I must have turned it out by accident. Wow I love this thing...

Shambles

No the iPhone cameras are great. My dad has a 4S and it completely destroys any picture I've taken on my Nexus 4 and on my GF's S3.

I'm not saying it doesn't. I'm saying that while the Nexus 4 looks like a grainy pile of poop the iPhone 5 pictures look like a grainy pile of finely aged manure. Even low end P&S seem to completely outclass the best of phone cameras.

tino

Banned

A phone camera with a 1/3" sensor still takes sustantially better picture than a 1/4" sensor. "Substantial" as in normal people can tell.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Those themes look like over-designed, usability nightmares.

While I don't disagree the key is if the app actually works or not. If it works then we are good to go. The MyColorScreen website has a metric ton of themes which range from horrid looking or horrible from a usability standpoint to really cool looking and really functional.

You'll just have to keep checking back in the app to see as more themes get added. I assume you'll get a ton more themes once the app is actually available to the public at large.

The app itself has to work as advertised though. It really needs to be browse themes, find one, and then click apply.

So who's sick of miniature flagships not having full fat specs?

Behold the Xperia Z1f:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/30/xperia-z1-f-so-02f-aka-honami-mini-specs-leak/

2.2GHz S800, 2GB RAM, 4.3" 720p (I have heard IGZO but I'm not 100% on it), microSD, LTE, IP58, 20.7MP camera, but it trades in 1mm in thickness to fit the camera in.

Afaik, these specs are correct and this leak is legitimate as it matches up with information I have heard.

Interesting... I love the smaller size though I would have preferred it being closer to 4.5". I don't really like that the Nexus is already going to 5"... the 4.7" on the Nexus 4 is already pretty big and approaching the limits on one handed usage for me. Don't know if I can give up the fast updates on the Nexus though.

Groof

Interesting... I love the smaller size though I would have preferred it being closer to 4.5". I don't really like that the Nexus is already going to 5"... the 4.7" on the Nexus 4 is already pretty big and approaching the limits on one handed usage for me. Don't know if I can give up the fast updates on the Nexus though.

Honestly, if devices of late has showed us anything, it's that bigger screens are way more useable as long as the physical footprint of the device itself isn't too big, a la Moto X/Galaxy S4/LG G2.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just got a background Hangouts update. Huh.

jokkir

So apparently you can only win one prize from the Kit-Kat contest and get no prize after that? So if you win the 5$ Google Play card or something, you get nothing else despite having more.

At least according to this G+ post:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/108684674183667444006/posts/FmbsGvojumf

And Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1ner9j/kitkat_promotional_once_you_win_5_you_are_done_oo/

Need some confirmation on this! And I still ave yet to see one in Toronto

Those kitkats don't exist in NY. I've been to dozens of stores in the Bronx, Manhattan and Queens.

I even went to the Hersey store in Times Square.

Nothing!

Bboy AJ

So apparently you can only win one prize from the Kit-Kat contest and get no prize after that? So if you win the 5$ Google Play card or something, you get nothing else despite having more.

At least according to this G+ post:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/108684674183667444006/posts/FmbsGvojumf

And Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/1ner9j/kitkat_promotional_once_you_win_5_you_are_done_oo/

Need some confirmation on this! And I still ave yet to see one in Toronto
Anyone with an extra, please PM it to me!

did you also get 1.2 last week?
I downloaded the apk from Android Police last week.

Threi

notag
Yeah my old infuse takes better pics than my nexus 4

Don't really care too much though since i rarely use the camera at all (and when I do its for quick stuff i'm too lazy to write down)

Groof

I'm so glad I have a dedicated camera, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to survive the N4 camera. It's such a shame too, because the rest of the N4 is so good.

reKon

Banned

I'll trade an improved 8 MP camera + 2700mAh battery for the 2300 mAh + 10 MP

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know many will say good for Verizon, but I still don't see how this was anything but the outcome. Going back on things after the glitch would have been a cluster fuck to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom