• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeIC

OK - need to do something about my phone situation. On Verizon, can't switch. I lost my Gnex about a month ago and am using a Galaxy S, and I can't handle it anymore.

Options:
1) Buy another used Gnex....probably about $130
2) Get a new phone as I'm due for an upgrade. Thing is, I don't love any of the phones on Verizon. I want a Nexus 5, but that's not going to happen. After the latest software update fixed the MotoX camera for the most part, I'm kind of leaning towards that, but I'm worried about it lasting me 2 years and Verizon's upgrade history. Reasons for not getting other phones:

S4 - locked bootloader, hate touchwiz
One - Camera, power button position, button layout, I think the bootloader is locked?
Note 2/3 - Too big
Droid Maxx - Camera sucks (this is different than the MotoX, right), soo ugly

Getting a Gnex lets me use a phone that actually works for a few months, but obviously isn't a long term solution, so what do I do? I could always get a 5s...

EDIT:
Wait, so I can install a Google Play Edition ROM on the Verizon S4? If so, I think i'm sold...

mturco

The Verizon HTC One has a locked bootloader, but it's unlockable through HTC's website. I hear you about not having a lot of good options on Verizon, though. I got sick of it and decided to just pay the ETF and go to AT&T so I can get the Nexus 5 (and use an HTC One in the mean time). That's obviously the most expensive option though.

gcubed

I don't think I'd put a hacked together GPE ROM on a Verizon phone, it had a bunch of bugs as it was never meant for the CDMA.

tr4656

OK - need to do something about my phone situation. On Verizon, can't switch. I lost my Gnex about a month ago and am using a Galaxy S, and I can't handle it anymore.

Options:
1) Buy another used Gnex....probably about $130
2) Get a new phone as I'm due for an upgrade. Thing is, I don't love any of the phones on Verizon. I want a Nexus 5, but that's not going to happen. After the latest software update fixed the MotoX camera for the most part, I'm kind of leaning towards that, but I'm worried about it lasting me 2 years and Verizon's upgrade history. Reasons for not getting other phones:

S4 - locked bootloader, hate touchwiz
One - Camera, power button position, button layout, I think the bootloader is locked?
Note 2/3 - Too big
Droid Maxx - Camera sucks (this is different than the MotoX, right), soo ugly

Getting a Gnex lets me use a phone that actually works for a few months, but obviously isn't a long term solution, so what do I do? I could always get a 5s...

EDIT:
Wait, so I can install a Google Play Edition ROM on the Verizon S4? If so, I think i'm sold...

I just looked at XDA and there appears to be an Google Play Edition ROM for the Verizon One as well. Thats another option for you.

Having to farm for lower level resonators in ingress when you're going at a 100k/day clip and are only 450k away from level 8 is a total fucking buzz kill.

Groof

Having to farm for lower level resonators in ingress when you're going at a 100k/day clip and are only 450k away from level 8 is a total fucking buzz kill.
Man, I couldn't even be bothered to get to level 1. There's so few players here where I live that it took me two weeks to get 50 exp.

Well level 2 then.
No, I live in Sweden. I'm guessing if I lived in Stockholm it'd be easier, but here it's impossible to get anywhere.

Weird. Try submitting stuff then? Murals, notable businesses or buildings, fountains, weird structures, statues, parks, etc. all can be submitted.

Groof

Weird. Try submitting stuff then? Murals, notable businesses or buildings, fountains, weird structures, statues, parks, etc. all can be submitted.
Trust me man, everything's up already and maxed out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just couldn't do anything. I got some portals up and running, but some other players had already maxed them out too by the time I found them.

Trust me man, everything's up already and maxed out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I just couldn't do anything. I got some portals up and running, but some other players had already maxed them out too by the time I found them.

I assume you mean from the opposite faction?

Hack and hack and hack. Try to find people from your faction in the comm to drop supplies or weaken them so you can take them down. People are more than willing to help.

We have a Hangout here of like 40 enlightened who all help out and we coordinate stuff. Very helpful.

Groof

I assume you mean from the opposite faction?

Hack and hack and hack. Try to find people from your faction in the comm to drop supplies or weaken them so you can take them down. People are more than willing to help.

We have a Hangout here of like 40 enlightened who all help out and we coordinate stuff. Very helpful.

Oh no, all of it is the same faction. The entire map is green and so am I. I might pick it back up some day but there's like no opposition here.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I requested an Ingress invitation months ago and I still haven't gotten anything. Why are they so slow to roll out the invites?

So who's sick of miniature flagships not having full fat specs?

Behold the Xperia Z1f:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/30/xperia-z1-f-so-02f-aka-honami-mini-specs-leak/

Xperia-mini1.jpg

2.2GHz S800, 2GB RAM, 4.3" 720p (I have heard IGZO but I'm not 100% on it), microSD, LTE, IP58, 20.7MP camera, but it trades in 1mm in thickness to fit the camera in.

Afaik, these specs are correct and this leak is legitimate as it matches up with information I have heard.

Groof

I requested an Ingress invitation months ago and I still haven't gotten anything. Why are they so slow to roll out the invites?
I think I've got some invites. I can send you one if you want?

So who's sick of miniature flagships not having full fat specs?

Behold the Xperia Z1f:

http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/09/30/xperia-z1-f-so-02f-aka-honami-mini-specs-leak/

2.2GHz S800, 2GB RAM, 4.3" 720p (I have heard IGZO but I'm not 100% on it), microSD, LTE, IP58, 20.7MP camera, but it trades in 1mm in thickness to fit the camera in.

Afaik, these specs are correct and this leak is legitimate as it matches up with information I have heard.

Damn, that looks absolutely great. Doesn't seem to be super thick anyway, manageable for the size!

tino

Banned
I don't see the point of putting a 720p screen on a SD800. You are not going to be able to use that horse power.

Same camera though? So thats a good start.

Groof

I don't see the point of putting a 720p screen on a SD800. You are not going to be able to use that horse power.

Gotta cut back costs somewhere. And on a 4.3" display 720p is more than enough I'd say.

Welcome to Android, you must be new here. Everything is a dick waving contest. S800 > S400...

December release in Japan, January for the rest of the world. Two networks in the US. AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint want it, but Sony aren't making CDMA phones without VZW which is not happening because Sony are too open for their liking when it comes to ROM flashing.

mackattk

If you are buying a phone, why wouldn't you want the fastest specs you can get in the form factor you want? Having a SD800 vs a SD600 or whatever will only keep your phone more relevant for a longer time. Most current phones, no matter what their specs are, will be ~$200 on contract, or $600 out of contract. So might as well get the best you can for your money.

Fujitsu Arrows A 301F

Fujitsu-Arrows-A-outed-with-three-days-battery-claim-10-minute-charge-and-fingerprint-unlock.jpg

The Android handset sports top-shelf specs like a 5" Full HD display, Snapdragon 800 processor and a 13 MP rear camera. The kicker is that Fujitsu claims it will last you three days on a charge, while the thin device only sports a 2600 mAh battery. We don't know whether the claim is due to an eventual frugal IGZO display panel, or power draw optimizations that Fujitsu calls "human-centric engine", but the company also says that the juicer can be topped up for a full day of use in just 10 minutes.

The list doesn't stop here, though, as the camera sports optical image stabilization and the back of the phone houses a fingerprint sensor

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Fuji...nute-charge-and-fingerprint-unlock_id47837#2-

tino

Banned
Welcome to Android, you must be new here. Everything is a dick waving contest. S800 > S400...

December release in Japan, January for the rest of the world. Two networks in the US. AT&T and T-Mobile. Sprint want it, but Sony aren't making CDMA phones without VZW which is not happening because Sony are too open for their liking when it comes to ROM flashing.

I rather they put a slower SD600 in there with a 3000 mah battery. It would be a better overall package. Of course Sony won't do it, because they make more money selling Z1 than the Z1 mini.

If you are buying a phone, why wouldn't you want the fastest specs you can get in the form factor you want? Having a SD800 vs a SD600 or whatever will only keep your phone more relevant for a longer time. Most current phones, no matter what their specs are, will be ~$200 on contract, or $600 out of contract. So might as well get the best you can for your money.

It's like putting a v6 engine in a Miata. American carriers's contract system favor expensive $600+ phones. But the world market is bigger than the NA markets. Hell even China's smartphone market is bigger than the US market. Most chinese still buy new phone up front at off contract price.

Sony doesn't want tino to bitch and complain like he does with the x.

I only shit on the Nexus phones. Motox is not good enough to meet my criticism blanket.

Hey all.

Just curious about something.

I got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 the other day. Love it so far, such an improvement over the slow ass HTC One V I upgraded from.

My girlfriend had been wanting me to give Candy Crush Saga a try, so I figured with a new phone that might actually be able to run it well, I thought I'd give it a shot. Thing is, it runs perfectly smooth on her Galaxy S2, but on my S3, I'm still getting a lot of framerate problems and slowdown. That seems odd to me, especially since it's not a very graphically intensive game, and you'd figure it wouldn't run worse on the more powerful phone.

I always keep the RAM cache cleared, and there's no programs running in the background, so I don't think that could be the issue. On a whim. I downloaded Real Racing 3, since I wanted to see how something truly (kinda) graphically intensive would run, and in the few minutes I spent with it, it seems to run just fine on my phone.

Any other issues that could be causing this? Or perhaps it's just that that app for some reason doesn't play well on an S3 or whatever version of Androld I'm running?

Input always appreciated, thanks folks. :)

Shambles

I don't know if it's android or my provider that dictates this but I had a weird change that happened to my phone over the last several months that I'm not sure why it happened. Anytime I get a new voice mail message my provider sends me a text message. In the text message it says something like "x has left you a 0:35 message. Call 00023 to hear it" the '00023' used to be underlined in the message and it let me click on it and it would call 00023 in the dialer which would immediately start that voice mail message. Now my text messages look exactly the same but the 00023 is no longer linked so I either have to manually enter it into my dialer to go straight to it, or call my voice mail and navigate through the menus to get to message #23.

Does anyone know how I might be able to change this functionality back or why it would have changed?

3phemeral

Hey all.

Just curious about something.

I got a new Samsung Galaxy S3 the other day. Love it so far, such an improvement over the slow ass HTC One V I upgraded from.

My girlfriend had been wanting me to give Candy Crush Saga a try, so I figured with a new phone that might actually be able to run it well, I thought I'd give it a shot. Thing is, it runs perfectly smooth on her Galaxy S2, but on my S3, I'm still getting a lot of framerate problems and slowdown. That seems odd to me, especially since it's not a very graphically intensive game, and you'd figure it wouldn't run worse on the more powerful phone.

I always keep the RAM cache cleared, and there's no programs running in the background, so I don't think that could be the issue. On a whim. I downloaded Real Racing 3, since I wanted to see how something truly (kinda) graphically intensive would run, and in the few minutes I spent with it, it seems to run just fine on my phone.

Any other issues that could be causing this? Or perhaps it's just that that app for some reason doesn't play well on an S3 or whatever version of Androld I'm running?

Input always appreciated, thanks folks. :)
Reading around the nets, I hear the recommended solution is to turn off power saving.

Doopliss

I don't know if it's android or my provider that dictates this but I had a weird change that happened to my phone over the last several months that I'm not sure why it happened. Anytime I get a new voice mail message my provider sends me a text message. In the text message it says something like "x has left you a 0:35 message. Call 00023 to hear it" the '00023' used to be underlined in the message and it let me click on it and it would call 00023 in the dialer which would immediately start that voice mail message. Now my text messages look exactly the same but the 00023 is no longer linked so I either have to manually enter it into my dialer to go straight to it, or call my voice mail and navigate through the menus to get to message #23.

Does anyone know how I might be able to change this functionality back or why it would have changed?
Apple has a patent on automatically turning phone numbers into links.

I always keep the RAM cache cleared
You shouldn't do that, it just makes apps slower to start when you switch back to them and uses up more battery. Only reason to remove an app from memory is if you know for a fact that it's not functioning properly.

Can't offer any help on your actual question, though. Sorry.

mturco

Apple has a patent on automatically turning phone numbers into links.

Google (and OEM's) worked around this a long, long time ago. You can definitely tap on a phone number to call it. Try it in the browser or have someone text you a phone number.

Groof

I'm not sure.

How can you tell?

I downloaded it after I installed the SD card, so I would assume that's where it landed.
Now it's been a while since I used a Samsung phone, but I think if you go into setting and then the apps option there's a separate tab for apps on the SD card. Try that!

Doopliss

Google (and OEM's) worked around this a long, long time ago. You can definitely tap on a phone number to call it. Try it in the browser or have someone text you a phone number.
Oh, I know it works for me. Just offering it as a probable explanation for why the app would have stopped doing it for him.

Shambles

Yeah it seems like it's more of an issue of my Nexus 4 no longer recognizing that numbers in the format 00023 can be a valid phone number. My wifes Nexus S doesn't have this problem so I'm assuming it start since the last JB update. It's a shame if I can't fix it as that was super handy to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom