• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Verizon probably did it intentionally as an experiment to find out how popular is the unlimited option.

i dont think it was an experiment, it was just a weekend play at getting a ton of people to get back to contracts. Expect a growth number on their next quarterly report for contracts. It wasn't a glitch

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
xQr8ubK.jpg

Husker86

Fixed my messed up SIM tray on the GS4...only cost $5 for replacement from eBay!

One thing that Samsung's build allows is crazy simple fixes, luckily.

So is google having an event soon? The N5 and KitKit will be release this month, right?

The rumor is the event is in two weeks. If that's true, Google will send out invites to the press next week, most likely.

The Nexus 5 in that picture looks like the final production model, super clean and polished.

Groof

The back on the N5 looks great, but the horizontal logo seems better suited on a tablet than the phone... You seldomly hold a phone in landscape while a tablet the scenario may occur more frequently. Seems like such a weird design choice, but I guess they want to unify the design language.

zbeeb

The back on the N5 looks great, but the horizontal logo seems better suited on a tablet than the phone... You seldomly hold a phone in landscape while a tablet the scenario may occur more frequently. Seems like such a weird design choice, but I guess they want to unify the design language.

If you think about how you actually hold a phone, the logo won't be visible when you hold it normally, but once you turn it side on (say, to take a photo), the nexus logo is visible and now in the correct orientation ;)

Screw this nexus talk if HTC brings their A game with the next flagship and carry on the themes established with the One they got themselves a new customer.

Cipherr

Screw this nexus talk if HTC brings their A game with the next flagship and carry on the themes established with the One they got themselves a new customer.

Next years flagships should be a lot of fun across the board. Samsung is going aluminum, HTC has gotten better in design the last 2 years running, LG is worth paying attention to now after the G2, Sony will follow up on the ZL hopefully (dem tiny bezels!), and Im even excited to see what motorola has for a flagship next year after the MotoX and MotoX-mini this year.

Plus I expect zero OEM's to increase screen resolution. Its going to be the kind of year where displays likely won't get larger, resolution won't be more demanding either. So design, battery life, and whatnot will be the draws for next year.

That White back version :D

Edit: I'm wrong. It is a white Nexus 5.

I would hazard a guess it's too do with the OIS module

Most people seem to think it's just a design choice, nothing to do with OIS.

Well, when you're holding the phone normally, you don't see the logo. No one does.

However, when you go to record video or take a landscape picture, everyone looking at you will see the logo in the correct orientation. The branding will be prominent.

Groof

If you think about how you actually hold a phone, the logo won't be visible when you hold it normally, but once you turn it side on (say, to take a photo), the nexus logo is visible and now in the correct orientation ;)
My mind it is blown. Brilliant.

ajpw

dont care about what the back of the phone looks like as 99.9% of the time i wont see it

want this phone but just recently bought a n4 dammit

tino

Banned
Well, when you're holding the phone normally, you don't see the logo. No one does.

However, when you go to record video or take a landscape picture, everyone looking at you will see the logo in the correct orientation. The branding will be prominent.

It looks horrible. First of all it reminds people "NEXUS" has very generic font. Secondly, only motherfucking shipping containers put giant words on them.

If Verizon gets Nexus 5, I hope they are humor enough to replace it with giant "VERIZON".

Nicktendo86

dont care about what the back of the phone looks like as 99.9% of the time i wont see it

want this phone but just recently bought a n4 dammit

I am in the same boat, didn't buy the phone got it on contract. The contract I got allows me to claim cah back, £32 every six months over 24 months = £128. If I sold my N4 and added the money I acn eventually claim back on my contract I could buy an N5 and maybe make a little profit, my wife won't see it that way though so guess I am stuck with the N4 :( lol

It looks horrible. First of all it reminds people "NEXUS" has very generic font. Secondly, only motherfucking shipping containers put giant words on them.

If Verizon gets Nexus 5, I hope they are humor enough to replace it with giant "VERIZON".

Unfortunately, for you, Verizon isn't getting it.

Three (UK) have the LG G2 16gb on PAYG for £399.99

Damn it Google, release your N5 already! If the Nexus 5 battery life is on par with the N4 then G2 here I come.

yogloo

Does anyone experience this? Once in awhile my phone would auto update my apps, then they would stop working.
I have to uninstall and reinstall them to get them working again. Then again, I would lose all of my settings in the app which sucks big time.

The recent update to my IR remote app did this to me again. It really annoys me when I have to reprogram everything again.

I think the Nexus logo is great. Do I think it needs to be that large? Probably not. But I don't have any issue with the logo itself.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
The Verge have reviewed the Galaxy Gear.

A smartwatch the Galaxy Gear is not. Frankly, I’m not sure exactly what it’s supposed to be. Samsung describes it as a companion device, and the Gear is indeed chronically dependent on an umbilical link to another Samsung device, but it never left me feeling like it was a helpful companion. The notifications are Orwellian, the media controls are exiguous, and the app selection has no substance to underpin the hype. Samsung’s attempt to turn the Gear into a style icon is also unlikely to succeed, owing to the company’s indecision about its target demographic. Trying to please all tastes has resulted in a predictably charmless and soulless product.

The Gear’s camera and phone calls are both surprising and delightful, but they’re unfortunately isolated highlights. When all is said and done, I expect the Galaxy Gear will be looked back upon as a rough first draft that helped the Korean chaebol steer a better course en route to the goal of producing a real smartwatch. As it stands today, though — unintuitive, oversized, overpriced, and in constant need of a Galaxy guardian — the Galaxy Gear might have been better off staying on the drawing board.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Samsung gonna Samung. Caught "cheating" at system benchmarks apps for Note 3.
20% improvement of LG Optimus phone with same Snapdragon 800 processor.

Ars Technica

I'm not surprised that they're gaming a bunch of commonly used benchmarks but its hilarious that they didn't bother to keep the results within the realm of plausibility.

yyzjohn

Banned
Historically, we still have a few weeks to go.

Announcement dates:
Nexus S - December 6
Galaxy Nexus - October 19
Nexus 4 - October 29

I really hope I'm wrong.

Weren't the rumors set at Oct 14th? Google should be announcing a date real soon now.

mturco

I never used the generic email app in android. Always seemed so much shittier than gmail.

Oh it is. It's complete shit compared to the Gmail app, but I use it for school and work email. There's no pinch to zoom and emails load zoomed in 100%. There's also no text reflowing, so you have to scroll horizontally to read anything. It's a nightmare.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have to admit the latest Nexus 5 picture makes it look pretty spiffy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom