• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yup, it's a battery.

97481036.jpg

#TinfoilHatOn

It looks like Josh Topolsky and Nilay Patel won't be on the Vergecast today.

Could they be attending Google's not-so-secret event tonight? They typically cover the major events for TheVerge (they did the N4 coverage).

Also, the original source that outted the existence of tonight's event (when no one else did) said he had to take down the post at Google's request...

SimleuqiR

#TinfoilHatOn

Could they be attending Google's not-so-secret event tonight? They typically cover the major events for TheVerge (they did the N4 coverage).

Also, the original source that outted the existence of tonight's event (when no one else did) said he had to take down the post at Google's request...

So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
#TinfoilHatOn

EXPECTATIONS RAISED EXPONENTIALLY

Protome

The sooner I can buy a Nexus 5 the sooner I can get rid of this godawful windows phone I've been stuck with since my Nexus 4 died.

XenoRaven

Good day citizens.

I have a stupid iPhone 4 and am looking to switch to Android. The Nexus 5 looks particularly interesting to me and I'm basically foaming at the mouth for some sort of announcement.

That said, I have one major concern about switching. Currently, all of my friends have iPhones. A group text conversation involving myself and two of my closest friends is frequently a major highlight of my day. If I switch, is there any way to preserve the current format of having one screen showing texts from all three parties in the same place for both myself and my iPhone-using companions?

yyzjohn

Banned
Good day citizens.

I have a stupid iPhone 4 and am looking to switch to Android. The Nexus 5 looks particularly interesting to me and I'm basically foaming at the mouth for some sort of announcement.

That said, I have one major concern about switching. Currently, all of my friends have iPhones. A group text conversation involving myself and two of my closest friends is frequently a major highlight of my day. If I switch, is there any way to preserve the current format of having one screen showing texts from all three parties in the same place for both myself and my iPhone-using companions?

Make them use Google hangouts.

Iacobellis

#TinfoilHatOn

So maybe the embargo date for tomorrow is true?

Nicktendo86

So just got back from climbing the O2 arena(the millennium dome in London) and while at the top I dropped my N4 onto the steel mesh grating thing! Picked it up- big gash in my number, zero damage on phone including the back. THE OFFICIAL BUMPER WORKS MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

gutshot

Good day citizens.

Yes. Tell your friends to use Google Hangouts. There is no iMessage app on Android because Apple sucks.

Good day citizens.

Buy an iPhone 5s and stick with iMessages. Trust me.

Buy an iPhone 5s and stick with iMessages. Trust me.

Coldfoot alt?

I would imagine he was looking to change because the 5S is more of the same shit and is absolute shit compared to the Nexus 5 and other Android flagships. Thanks for the contribution, though.

As has been said before, to the person who asked, have them download Hangouts.

Malvingt2

BBM‏@BBM
This just in! New version of #BBM for #Android supports additional devices and fixes a few bugs too. Get it now in Google Play.

updating now..

this_guy

Good day citizens.

You'll be fine with the Nexus 5. Android 4.3 added group text messaging. Prior to that, I've always used a third party text message app such as Handcent or GoSMS that added the group sms feature.

Good day citizens.

well, you can get an iPhone 5s instead or get them to use Google Hangouts since Google makes Hangouts for iOS but Apple doesn't make iMessage for Android.

why are you looking to switch?

Coldfoot alt?

I would imagine he was looking to change because the 5S is more of the same shit and is absolute shit compared to the Nexus 5 and other Android flagships. Thanks for the contribution, though.

As has been said before, to the person who asked, have them download Hangouts.

lol, iPhone 5s absolute shit compared to Nexus 5? Talk about being a blinded fanboy .. I currently do use an iPhone 5 because most of my friends have iPhones but I'm also a fan of android and have had android phones in the past. It's very annoying and inconvenient in a group text when the odd non-iphone user responds.

If Google hangouts is just using the same protocol as Google voice, be prepared to deal with delayed messages, sometimes for hours. iMessages is one of the best features of the iPhone and good luck getting everyone with an iPhone to switch to google hangouts.

XenoRaven

Thanks for the replies guys. I only care about group text with 2 people. I'll ask them to try Google Hangouts and see if that will be a viable alternative.

I'm switching because I want to give another mobile OS a try. Plus I'm not exactly happy with the amount of usage I've gotten out of my Apple devices. The only one that hasn't failed on me within two years was my old iPod. Also, the price of the Nexus is attractive to me and may save me money by getting me off these 2-year contract plans.

Threi

notag
There are tons of viable cross platform message clients, like whatsapp, viber, and (even) BBM. It shouldnt be too hard to switch to any of em unless one of your friends is really stubborn.

Protome

My Nexus 7 keeps giving me errors saying it can't connect to google's servers to log in. Nexus 10 confirmed for release today?

EVERYTHING is a sign!

lol, iPhone 5s absolute shit compared to Nexus 5? Talk about being a blinded fanboy .. I currently do use an iPhone 5 because most of my friends have iPhones but I'm also a fan of android and have had android phones in the past. It's very annoying and inconvenient in a group text when the odd non-iphone user responds.

If Google hangouts is just using the same protocol as Google voice, be prepared to deal with delayed messages, sometimes for hours. iMessages is one of the best features of the iPhone and good luck getting everyone with an iPhone to switch to google hangouts.

I use hangouts constantly for Ingress-related activities and hangouts tied to phone numbers.

I have never seen any of those issues. I have, however, heard people bitching about iMessage eating texts.

Protome

Why did you get a 510 when you could've got a 520?

It was the 520, I typo'd.

It's actually a surprisingly good phone for the price range, every Android phone I've used at £100 off contract has been terrrrrrible. But Windows Phone is an OS that scales really well to weaker hardware to the point where it doesn't get in the way of using apps for the most part. That said, the OS is so far behind the competition it's not even funny.

kharma45

It was the 520, I typo'd.

It's actually a surprisingly good phone for the price range, every Android phone I've used at £100 off contract has been terrrrrrible. But Windows Phone is an OS that scales really well to weaker hardware to the point where it doesn't get in the way of using apps for the most part. That said, the OS is so far behind the competition it's not even funny.

Thank fuck, the 510 is shite.

The 520 is a decent handset and impressive for the price. It was £60 for a while, good price for a drunk phone that you can take on nights out and treat like shit and save your high end phone from such treatment.

WP8 isn't too bad now. It suffered from one step forward two back when it replaced WP7 but update 3 has taken it to where it should've been at launch.

yyzjohn

Banned

Delayed messages for hours? Yeah I've never experienced that. I use Google hangouts to do a group chat with a guy on a nexus and another guy on an iPhone 5 so it applies here. Have no idea what your experience has been but in my world Google hangouts works great across multiple devices. I can even pick up a chat on the PC that I started on my phone or tablet.

Is google hangout now an all in one solution for all SMS? If I text from hangout to a dumb phone, will it go through as a SMS text (ala iMessages) or will it do it like google voice (where I don't get charged for a text from my carrier, but I must use my google voice number)? Or is it just another messaging platform like Kakao or whatsapp?

Edit: I've never used google hangouts before, only experienced the delays with google voice. That's why I was asking if they just incorporated google voice into hangouts.

Arkanius

Is google hangout now an all in one solution for all SMS? If I text from hangout to a dumb phone, will it go through as a SMS text (ala iMessages) or will it do it like google voice (where I don't get charged for a text from my carrier, but I must use my google voice number)? Or is it just another messaging platform like Kakao or whatsapp?

They are merging SMS and Hangouts in 4.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom