• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
$30 more.....no. I least hope I get a free bumper or gift card.

I would rather wait for the iPad 5, but at this point I just need something for internet browsing.

That's only because the current Nexus already priced dropped.

Think of it this way. The 16 gig mode is actually launching $20 CHEAPER than the OG Nexus 7 did for the 16 gig model.

Huh? I upload videos (all steps on the phone) taken from my phone of my daughter to Facebook all the time.

Hang on a minute here.

edit: Okay, what the fuck. Since when did Facebook have video? I admit I don't use Facebook much, but I just recorded a short video and uploaded it to Facebook. Mind blown.

catmincer

Fail.

Also looks like it's 4.6" rather than 4.3" going by the DPI figure. Fail. That's another major Android OEM not taking advantage of the gap in the market with a full featured mini flagship.

Let's hope Sony don't fail with the i1 mini...

it's 4.3"

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...p-screen-and-UltraPixel-camera-in-tow_id45436

As per HTC press release

"Distilling the iconic design of the HTC One, this new addition to the family combines a 4.3” display and powerful dual-core 1.4 GHz processor. It also runs the latest version of Android with HTC Sense®, bringing HTC’s flagship mobile experience to style-seekers who demand premium looks and performance."

Looks much better than the first gen.

QVLAZa0.jpg

zLaVRpC.jpg

JtwmRr6.jpg

3hbcjmV.jpg

Shame about the wrong aspect ratio that makes it look like one of these comically large phones.

it's 4.3"

http://www.phonearena.com/news/HTC-...p-screen-and-UltraPixel-camera-in-tow_id45436

As per HTC press release

"Distilling the iconic design of the HTC One, this new addition to the family combines a 4.3” display and powerful dual-core 1.4 GHz processor. It also runs the latest version of Android with HTC Sense®, bringing HTC’s flagship mobile experience to style-seekers who demand premium looks and performance."
half the pixels
half the storage
half the cpu cores
half the ram
HTC Half indeed

well, at 1800mAh, at least it doesn't have half the battery!

edit: back is aluminum but sides are plastic... no OIS, no NFC, no IR blaster... wow.

AND WHY IS IT SO TALL!?!?

Groof

WHY DO ALL THE FUCKING NEWS HIT AS SOON AS I GO ON VACATION UUUGGGGHHHH

at least Sweden's got Play Books now

Dizzan

MINI Member
Nexus 7 2 is meh. I'll wait for the next version. Or buy a next gen 10. Still not sure.

Google really really really needs to sort out an airplay type solution. And add support for Sonos devices. For a company pushing cool shit like glass, they really are lacking in important fundamentals.

Glad All access music was released in Australia today though :)

Nicktendo86

Nexus 7 2 is meh. I'll wait for the next version. Or buy a next gen 10. Still not sure.

Google really really really needs to sort out an airplay type solution. And add support for Sonos devices. For a company pushing cool shit like glass, they really are lacking in important fundamentals.

Glad All access music was released in Australia today though :)

Looks fucking sweet to me, design improved over the orignal, 1080p screen with highest PPI of any tablet (I think), better specs, no tegra BS.

HTC gone fucked up. This was their chance to release a small phone with S600 and 32GB and basically take the fight to Apple in their market and differentiate themselves from the S4 mini.

FWIW One mini vs Xperia SP:

SP:
130.6 x 67.1 x 10 mm
4.6" 720p
1.7GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 320

1GB RAM
8GB+MicroSD
LTE
8MP Exmor RS
2370mAh

One mini:
132 x 63.2 x 9.3 mm
4.3" 720p
1.4GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 305
1GB RAM
16GB
4MP Ultrapixel
LTE
1800mAh

Bolded specs are better. Plus the SP will get the same camera software update the Z and ZL got recently for better detail and HTC's 4MP is pretty poor so far and this is lacking the OIS which makes it worthwhile.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Looks fucking sweet to me, design improved over the orignal, 1080p screen with highest PPI of any tablet (I think), better specs, no tegra BS.

Just not worth the upgrade for me just yet.

the OG still does everything I need. Unless the new one has Miracast? Does anybody know?

Doopliss

Fail.

Also looks like it's 4.6" rather than 4.3" going by the DPI figure. Fail. That's another major Android OEM not taking advantage of the gap in the market with a full featured mini flagship.

Let's hope Sony don't fail with the i1 mini...
There are only a handful of densities that Android devices can be assigned - 120, 160, (213), 240, 320 or 480. It's so app developers can provide image assets targeted to those densities and they won't need to be scaled up or down which could make them look blurry.

It means though that when the real display density doesn't match the assigned system density, stuff on the screen will appear either larger or smaller than the "default" size. A funny result of this is that internally Android sees the 4.3" One Mini and the 5" Galaxy S4 as having the exact same screen size - both have a density-independent resolution of 640x360. So for example if you viewed the same spreadsheet on both devices you would see exactly the same number of rows and columns on both despite one screen having an area more a third larger than the other.

Talon

HTC is aiming for the HTC One mini to be "two price points lower" than the HTC One.

Interesting. Launching in August, though.

kudoboi

HTC gone fucked up. This was their chance to release a small phone with S600 and 32GB and basically take the fight to Apple in their market and differentiate themselves from the S4 mini.

SP:
130.6 x 67.1 x 10 mm
4.6" 720p
1.7GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 320

1GB RAM
8GB+MicroSD
LTE
8MP Exmor RS
2370mAh

One mini:
132 x 63.2 x 9.3 mm
4.3" 720p
1.4GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 305
1GB RAM
16GB
4MP Ultrapixel
LTE
1800mAh

Bolded specs are better. Plus the SP will get the same camera software update the Z and ZL got recently for better detail and HTC's 4MP is pretty poor so far and this is lacking the OIS which makes it worthwhile.

Ouch! HTC had a chance to dominate the mini phone market and possibly steal some iPhone users who refused to use bigger screens but they dun goofed

HTC is aiming for the HTC One mini to be "two price points lower" than the HTC One.

Interesting. Launching in August, though.

Which is stupid. Samsung have already hit S4 margins with the S4 mini, and now HTC are going to fall into the same trap. People will just think they are getting a HTC One for half the cost like they do with the S4 mini.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make a small budget phone. They should make a top of the range small phone that is priced similarly to the flagship for people who don't want to compromise on specs but still want a smallish package. The fact that this phone has a poor spec and isn't small is just a doubly stupid.

gcubed

Just not worth the upgrade for me just yet.

the OG still does everything I need. Unless the new one has Miracast? Does anybody know?

No one knows for sure, but I'd assume so since all the newer chipsets support it.

And the HTC one mini is a worse phone then the Xfone. Boo yah.

Nicktendo86

Looks much better than the first gen.

QVLAZa0.jpg

zLaVRpC.jpg

JtwmRr6.jpg

3hbcjmV.jpg

Shame about the wrong aspect ratio that makes it look like one of these comically large phones.
Looks like the original nexus 7 and the iPad mini had a beautiful baby to me. With a sprinkle of the nexus 10 style plastic back for good measure. Day one.

tzare

SP:
130.6 x 67.1 x 10 mm
4.6" 720p
1.7GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 320

1GB RAM
8GB+MicroSD
LTE
8MP Exmor RS
2370mAh

One mini:
132 x 63.2 x 9.3 mm
4.3" 720p
1.4GHz dual core Krait
Adreno 305
1GB RAM
16GB
4MP Ultrapixel
LTE
1800mAh

Even my now 'dated' Xperia T seems a better choice over OneMini.

...pointing out the screen sizes seems completely antithetical to the exercise.

Considering the physical size of the devices are almost identical it's worth pointing out that you get more real estate with the SP in an almost identically sized package.

Oh, what a fail, the RRP is apparently £399 which is £50 more than the SP and S4 mini. It's going to get wiped out at retail at £399 vs the SP and S4 mini.

gcubed

Wait so i never knew all the specs... All this xfone hate and it's easily the best mid 4" device that's going to be available?

Wait so i never knew all the specs... All this xfone hate and it's easily the best mid 4" device that's going to be available?

Either that or Xperia SP. Depends on the price of XFON though because SP is $390 offline from Sony which is a pretty good deal.

SimleuqiR

I think people wanted the first "Motorola - A Google Company" phone to be more of an Alpha phone, than a Beta Phone. That's all.

It's obvious that Moto and Google are going for a different segment of the market, which has potential for a lot of growth (mid to lower end phones).

http://youtu.be/MJzv1HmfuaE?t=38m

AndyD

aka andydumi
of the One Mini and the S4 Mini? Or of the xfon?

XFON
1.7ghz Dual Core Krait
Adreno 320
2GB RAM
16gb Internal Storage
720p ~4.6" Screen
10mp/2mp Camera

Thanks, I saw the other two. Not bad at all on this. Make it 299 and market it right and it should sell well.

check coverage first. if it's good, why pay more?

the rumor is that Softbank wants to switch Sprint to GSM, and with all the spectrum they have and the financial backing from Softbank, they are set on paper to be awesome in the future, but ... who knows for sure?

Yea, here in Buffalo I'm not sure about 4g LTE coverage at least. I checked the maps but got different impressions from two different maps. I am sort of wondering how the Softbank stuff will turn out, but it's too early to tell. I don't want to rush into getting an older phone too, since it's close to prime new device season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom