• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMigs85

I got pushed 4.4 finally. Wow why did I even want this piece of shit? It makes my N4 noticeably slower. It adds absolutely nothing of value. Everything looks the same except the phone dialer got uglier and shit is slower. Oh but hey the startup animation is new. Cool!

Fucking Google.

Yah hate on me all you want but on the N4 this update is gimped trash.

Give it time to "settle in", at least 24-48 hours. Rebooting your phone once can also help.
Oh and try to leave 20% of your storage free so that FSTRIM works well.

Dunno what you're talking about meng been on 4.4 since the first factory image got upped and it's been running great. Standby time is stellar too.
Design choices are a different story however, that I can agree with.

Give it time to "settle in", at least 24-48 hours. Rebooting your phone once can also help.
Oh and try to leave 20% of your storage free so that FSTRIM works well.
Thanks. I got 4.5gb left so well over 20%. I rebooted and will see how it goes. No comment on battery yet. I'm just a bit disappointed cause I didn't know how the N4 would be gimped with the launcher features the N5 got.

DonMigs85

Dunno what you're talking about meng been on 4.4 since the first factory image got upped and it's been running great. Standby time is stellar too.
Design choices are a different story however, that I can agree with.

The battery life on my Nexus 7 seems slightly improved as well after the update.

DonMigs85

Thanks. I got 4.5gb left so well over 20%. I rebooted and will see how it goes. No comment on battery yet. I'm just a bit disappointed cause I didn't know how the N4 would be gimped with the launcher features the N5 got.

You can install the Google Experience Launcher APK (the link is on here a page or two back I think) or try the Apex Launcher beta APK, although that one lacks "Ok, Google".

Groof

I feel your pain. GEL is sideloadable and works as intended though, and both Nova and Apex Launcher betas have the transparent bars. If rooted you can quite easily have the lockscreen's bars be transparent as well, which I did and boy, it's sexy as fuck.

Groof

I think it only worked well for me since I upgraded straight from 2.1 stable
Hopefully he can integrate "Ok, Google" and swiping left to Google Now.

Are you on beta1? That's what I have. From what I tried the Nova beta has been way more on the ball with fixing tiny kinks and issues, also it's updateable through the Play Store.

Emwitus

I feel your pain. GEL is sideloadable and works as intended though, and both Nova and Apex Launcher betas have the transparent bars. If rooted you can quite easily have the lockscreen's bars be transparent as well, which I did and boy, it's sexy as fuck.

How do you get the apex beta?

MattDoza

Got 4.4 running on my One (side loaded the update). Switched to ART. Ticked GPS to battery saving and then went to the home screen and the battery info was taking up my screen like a wallpaper. Weird. Wasn't sure if this was a weird ART thing or because of the setting I just switched, or beta Nova. Had to re-apply a wallpaper to get it to clear.

SimleuqiR

I'm bored of KitKat already guys, what's next?

ngbbs4f52fcfb24555.jpg

This bores me...

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
I don't like my Nexus 7 anymore. Everything seems more of a hassle. I'll just stick with PCs in the feature.

Not having 4.4 really soured me.

I've tried multiple times to download Asphalt 8 (1.5 GB according to the store page) from the Google Play Store, but it keeps telling me I have insufficient space on external storage. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" with 1.4 GB free internally and at least 22 GB free on a micro SD card. I tried deleting some old apps, transferring apps to the micro SD card, and clearing my cache, but it didn't help. What else can I try? I'll provide more information if needed.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my tablet runs on unrooted Android 4.2.2.

Edit 2: After some more research, I found out that while some apps can be transferred to micro SD cards, the app has to fully install on system memory first, so I basically need to free up more space on my device. Sorry, I'm pretty new to Android. Anyways, I already transferred almost all of my apps to my micro SD card. Besides deleting a bunch of apps I still use, is there anything else I can do to free up system memory?

Revoh

My Nexus 4 received Android 4.4 OTA yesterday, after upgrading I'm having problems with Google Chrome, it refreshes the page I was viewing everytime I open the app. I didn't have this "problem" on 4.3

Cheebo

Banned
Screw that, let's get android 5.0 up in this bitch. I want to pick between that, Windows phone blue, and a 5 inch iPhone next year. And I hope Apple stops with their timid, ugly ass updates. Hard to believe Google and Microsoft would be schooling apple on design so quickly after the passing of Jobs.

You may not like how it looks but by no means was iOS 7 timid in design, basically every aspect was redesigned.

Blackhead

Redarse
You may not like how it looks but by no means was iOS 7 timid in design, basically every aspect was redesigned.

everything was redesigned except app icons on homescreen, one home button, app back button in top left corner, status bar with carrier logo...

Nicktendo86

The battery life on my Nexus 7 seems slightly improved as well after the update.

+1. Get over 7 hours screen on time on my N7 (2013) now, mostly browsing chrome which is a battery hog. N4 seems improved as well, stand by time specifically. Lasted almost 48 hours on light(ish) use the other day for the first time.

Groof

+1. Get over 7 hours screen on time on my N7 (2013) now, mostly browsing chrome which is a battery hog. N4 seems improved as well, stand by time specifically. Lasted almost 48 hours on light(ish) use the other day for the first time.

Mine's been the opposite. I've been getting worse and worse battery life on my N7. At least in standby. Dunno if it's a rogue app or what. Maybe I should root it so I can use BetterBatteryStats.

yogloo

If you are having questionable battery problems, I wholeheartedly recommend wakelock detector combined with greenify and app quarantine.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

You're right, I worded that wrong. The timid part was in relation to features, and really there hasn't been anything exciting from any of the three major players in terms of features this past year, so it's not just Apple.

The ugly ass part was the new look. iOS7 is hideous, and both Android and of course Windows Phone offer more cohesive visual designs.

Groof

If you are having questionable battery problems, I wholeheartedly recommend wakelock detector combined with greenify and app quarantine.

Yeah I'm going to do so now. When I got my N7 I had set out to not unlock its bootloader or root it, but I already did one so I might as well do the other now.

Nicktendo86

Mine's been the opposite. I've been getting worse and worse battery life on my N7. At least in standby. Dunno if it's a rogue app or what. Maybe I should root it so I can use BetterBatteryStats.

Yeah something must be up, when I first got the 4.4 OTA and turned ART on battery seemed a bit shit but has got better and better since.

tr4656

You're right, I worded that wrong. The timid part was in relation to features, and really there hasn't been anything exciting from any of the three major players in terms of features this past year, so it's not just Apple.

The ugly ass part was the new look. iOS7 is hideous, and both Android and of course Windows Phone offer more cohesive visual designs.

Whether it looks good or not is highly subjective.

Yeah something must be up, when I first got the 4.4 OTA and turned ART on battery seemed a bit shit but has got better and better since.

Is ART worth using?

PGamer

fucking juniors
Can someone explain to me what exactly Mediaserver does? I upgraded my Nexus 4 to 4.4 and now Mediaserver is using anywhere from 50-70+% of my battery life which is now draining very quickly. I'm also confused due to the fact I barely use my phone for media (no SD card, no music on my phone) so I don't know if this is normal behaviour or not.

SuperSah

Banned
Does the Facebook app use push notifications? Wondering whether to keep notifications on to conserve battery.

Yeah, it flashes a blue LED when you receive an update.

I wish more apps had the native option on changing LED colours. I'm not keen on using a third party app to change them. (Light Flow etc.)

My Galaxy Note 3 has lasted 22 hours off-charger with heavy use. Damn.

marrec

Banned
My Galaxy Note 3 has lasted 22 hours off-charger with heavy use. Damn.

Just got a Note 3 (for work) and WooooooW does it look amazing.

Coming from my S3 (still have for personal use) and I thought THAT looked good.

I'm also using the Smart Cover... which... has been really useful, but also seems like it could get annoying.

I may return it.

SuperSah

Banned
Just got a Note 3 (for work) and WooooooW does it look amazing.

Coming from my S3 (still have for personal use) and I thought THAT looked good.

I'm also using the Smart Cover... which... has been really useful, but also seems like it could get annoying.

I may return it.

It's a brilliant device, huh? I don't even think my Mac feels as speedy as this does. It just feels "right".

I'm awaiting my leather flip-case to arrive. It was supposed to arrive today, but no-show, so tomorrow hopefully.

I don't want to leave the house with it until it has a case on it.

jokkir

I use the default Twitter app.

It sends a green LED when someone favourites my tweet, not sure why. :p

Also, what's the best browser? I have Chrome and the standard Android browsers installed.

"Best" would probably be subjective but Dolphin Browser + the Jetpack add-on was the fastest out of all browsers (at least since last Winter). Though, there is some privacy concerns dealing with Dolphin

SuperSah

Banned
"Best" would probably be subjective but (at least since last Winter) Dolphin Browser + the Jetpack add-on was the fastest out of all browsers. Though, there is some privacy concerns dealing with Dolphin

I shall check it out. :)

Right now, Chrome's doing pretty well for me.

marrec

Banned
It's a brilliant device, huh? I don't even think my Mac feels as speedy as this does. It just feels "right".

I'm awaiting my leather flip-case to arrive. It was supposed to arrive today, but no-show, so tomorrow hopefully.

I don't want to leave the house with it until it has a case on it.

Is it the smart screen flip-case?

If you're dead set on using a flip-case (and have the extra money) then the smart screen is a no brainer, especially with the Note 3. Ability to take notes through your case is pretty awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom