• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

Just got 4.4. I thought the buttons at the bottom were supposed to have a transparent background?

For the lockscreen or the launcher?

For the launcher, you need to install another launcher that supports transparent background like the Google Experience Launcher ( http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...once-you-get-your-kitkat-update-apk-download/ ) or use the Apex/Nova beta.

For the lockscreen, you need to install a fixed framework zip that enables transparency. You need to have an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery so you can install .zip. You can get there here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2527525

Yeah, it's dumb and 4.4 on other devices that's not Nexus 5 seem kind of half assed.

Yeah, just read that some features are locked to Nexus 5. Like the transparant bar, and saying "Ok, Google" at the home screen.
Wait, so this update wont give my Nexus 10 the "OK Google" voice stuff?

That was the one Kit Kat feature I was actually waiting for and couldn't figure out how to activate it after I just updated my N10. :(

jokkir

Yeah, just read that some features are locked to Nexus 5. Like the transparant bar, and saying "Ok, Google" at the home screen.

That was the one Kit Kat feature I was actually waiting for and couldn't figure out how to activate it after I just updated my N10. :(

Just install the Google Experience Launcher (GEL) I linked above. It will enable that "Ok, Google" feature

This stuff is part of the GEL. Google for the app, and you can also install it.

Fatalah

Welcome to the club! You will love Motorola Assist!
Cool, I totally forgot I read about Assist when it was first announced.

So far, I've tried the camera wrist trick, voice actions with the screen off, and the Chrome Connect extension for easy texting on the PC. This phone really has useful and unique features.

Oh yeah, Kit Kat began downloading and soon as I booted up the phone!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love the OK Google stuff. Nothing like calling a contact by saying the command and watching your phone do it for you. Very convenient for me.

Just thought I'd pass this along:

I was using a tablet during a nature program yesterday for a small group. Afterwards, a guy came up to talk about tech in parks, specifically my tablet. Turns out he was a MS software engineer working in their NC campus.

I told him that we were in the process of rolling out Nexus 7's to use in more programs. He told me that we should wait as a Nexus 8 was "weeks away at most".

Who knows of it was complete bullshit, but I thought id pass it along.

IceCold

I installed GEL on my Nexus 4. Looks ok, but there's one thing that's annoying me. The widget for power control is smaller. It isn't centered and I can't resize it.

Just thought I'd pass this along:

I was using a tablet during a nature program yesterday for a small group. Afterwards, a guy came up to talk about tech in parks, specifically my tablet. Turns out he was a MS software engineer working in their NC campus.

I told him that we were in the process of rolling out Nexus 7's to use in more programs. He told me that we should wait as a Nexus 8 was "weeks away at most".

Who knows of it was complete bullshit, but I thought id pass it along.

I think you just got scroogled.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd replace my Nexus 10 in a heartbeat if there really were a Nexus 8 with a 4:3 ratio.

So, turned in some old consoles today and got a $135 gift card from Best Buy, and it looks like they're doing a deal where you could get a $199 16GB Nexus 7, or a $239 32GB Nexus 7.

I've been thinking about getting a tablet for a while now, mostly for eReading, but I'm willing to look into the gaming portion as well. I was initially looking at the Paperwhite, but after seeing it up close I'm not sure if it's for me, especially since its web-based capabilities are so limited.

Should I dive in? Would a 16 GB be good enough, or should I give a little more for the 32GB?

So, turned in some old consoles today and got a $135 gift card from Best Buy, and it looks like they're doing a deal where you could get a $199 16GB Nexus 7, or a $239 32GB Nexus 7.

I've been thinking about getting a tablet for a while now, mostly for eReading, but I'm willing to look into the gaming portion as well. I was initially looking at the Paperwhite, but after seeing it up close I'm not sure if it's for me, especially since its web-based capabilities are so limited.

Should I dive in? Would a 16 GB be good enough, or should I give a little more for the 32GB?

16GB is fine if you don't mind fridge analogies. go for 32 if you can, especially if games are a selling point for you, but don't kill yourself over it.

wilflare

someone recommend a File Manager/Explorer please ^^
been searching and seems like it's a contest between Root Explorer and ES File Explorer?

goober

So I upgraded to 4.3 on my SGS3 and the torch flashes whenever I get a phone call or an e-mail notification.

Any way to change this?

Welp, I've dived in and got the 32 GB Nexus tonight. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason I can return it, but until then, I'm just waiting for it to charge completely.

Also got $25 for the Google Play store, so I'm thinking the Broken Sword series for starters. Any other recommendations?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
someone recommend a File Manager/Explorer please ^^
been searching and seems like it's a contest between Root Explorer and ES File Explorer?

Solid. Anyone who gives you any other answer has no taste.

Quasar

Upgraded my N4 myself after the hangouts update that never appeared. Overall I'm pretty happy with that plus the launcher. The one gripe so far is the icon fonts change, but really thats quite minor. Curious to see what impact the always listening for 'ok google' has on battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom