• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaaraz

If I've set Dropbox to sync all of my photos and videos, can I just remove everything from within my gallery on my device? I don't want any duplicates, but similarly don't want to delete them if Dropbox lowers their quality etc?

If I've set Dropbox to sync all of my photos and videos, can I just remove everything from within my gallery on my device? I don't want any duplicates, but similarly don't want to delete them if Dropbox lowers their quality etc?

you can, but why would you go with just one backup solution?

gcubed

I've been informed that currents isn't standard on the n5, it must have auto installed on restore and I just removed it.

Google back to being horrendous for not allowing you to get rid of the inferior product

Gambit61

I think my Note 2 killed my SD card. I've had a 32GB card in my phone since 12/26 last year and it's been fine until last night when I started getting a weird " SD card unexpectedly removed" message. After about 20 minutes of this happening the card completely stopped appearing on both my phone and on my PC. I'm guessing my phone was constantly scanning the SD card in the background because now that it I've removed it my phone is much faster than before. Waking it from sleep and being able to quickly unlock is now nearly instant and overall the system is a lot less laggy.

Emwitus

I know i might be way lttp about this since i'm new to the android space but google now just blew my mind. Swiped up for google now on my nexus and it had a list of shows that were on line with an arrow on top. Clicked on the arrow and was taken to a menu that said "watch live" and "listen to live tv", chose live tv. My tele had a telemundo broadcast of avatar and within seconds it let me know it was just that. Blew my mind.

DonMigs85

Cool. I have no interest in downloading apps that aren't in the play store. My friend just bought a Nexus 5 and commented that the sales guy kept telling her that she needed an anti-virus app.

Thanks for the help! :)

It won't hurt to install Avast antivirus, it's free and consumes very little resources.
There are times you may wanna install stuff outside the Play Store (like beta APK files and Humble Bundle games)

gcubed

It won't hurt to install Avast antivirus, it's free and consumes very little resources.
There are times you may wanna install stuff outside the Play Store (like beta APK files and Humble Bundle games)

It's still not necessary for anything remotely legit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I just got a Galaxy Note 3.

I cannot wait to delve into it.

TouchWiz.
6SuC9aX.png
5yBr2P4.png

I thought you were getting the N5?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Ignore this above post. It's unnecessary. Why would Humble Bundle include Trojans?

SuperSah

Banned
TouchWiz.
6SuC9aX.png
5yBr2P4.png

I thought you were getting the N5?

My dad decided to go all out and splash out on the best possible phone for me.

I don't mind, it's beautiful and it's one powerful beast! I'm just scared when I open the box, a 5.7" screen coming from my 3.5" iPod will scare the shit out of me. :p

I really need to get a flipcase for it too.

Revoh

I need a good anti theft app.
I'm tired of living with fear of losing my phone.
I got robbed 2 times already this year. And just minutes ago I almost got robbed again.

I'm using a stock Nexus 4. I don't mind rooting my phone if I need to.

reKon

Banned
I got robbed 2 times already this year. And just minutes ago I almost got robbed again.

Damn, where do you live?

SimleuqiR

image.php

Your avatar is so fitting.

The Play Store has a device manager that allows you to track and/or wipe your phone. Not sure if it's available worldwide though.

vdlow

Cerberus is by far your best option.

SimleuqiR

Paraguay.

I lol'd.
Yeah I used that before but it's not that good.
I need something with more features, I'm willing to pay if it's good.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus

It has three ways to protect your device:
- Remote control through the website www.cerberusapp.com
- Remote control via text messages
- SIM Checker (for devices that have a SIM card): you will automatically receive alerts if someone uses your phone with an unauthorized SIM card
Remote control allows you to perform many operations on your device, like:
- Locate and track it
- Start a loud alarm, even if the device is set to silent mode
- Wipe the internal memory and the SD card
- Hide Cerberus from the app drawer
- Lock the device with a code
- Record audio from the microphone
- Get a list of last calls sent and received
- Get information about network and operator the device is connected to
- And much more!

SimleuqiR

d
I don't know why Google didn't just buy cerebus and integrate it into Android. It has so many features already why are they wasting time making their own inferior version?

"Inferior" is a harsh way to put it. I would say that Google's offering is more than necessary. Track and Wipe should be enough for most people. Cerebus is great and all, but it could also wreck havoc with people that don't know what they are doing, or worst, it could easily be used for the wrong purpose.

Can you imagine all those features built into the Google Device manager? Now, figure that many people (or most?) do not have 2-step verification set up on their Gmail account. If somehow their account gets hacked into, their phone could easily be used to snoop on them on an NSA level.

Revoh

Is there an app that prevents you turning your phone off? My idea is to buy Cerberus and use another application that doesn't let the thief turn the phone off or restart it. (it should ask for a password to do it)

jokkir

Is there an app that prevents you turning your phone off? My idea is to buy Cerberus and use another application that doesn't let the thief turn the phone off or restart it. (it should ask for a password to do it)

I would assume that if a person did steal it, they'd turn off the phone right away :\

Other than that, no idea about and app. If you're rooted, get the version that survives factory resets and I think that should be more helpful

Revoh

I would assume that if a person did steal it, they'd turn off the phone right away :

Other than that, no idea about and app. If you're rooted, get the version that survives factory resets and I think that should be more helpful
Yeah, but I don't think there's another way of turning the Nexus 4 off without using the power button. Well, you can open the device and remove the battery I think, but I guess the thief won't do that ASAP. It gives me the right amount of time to log into the Cerberus site and start tracking it.

Gambit61

Okay, I don't know what's going on with my phone anymore,
Day 1 after removing my SD card. When I had my SD card installed I would get around 4 - 5 hrs screen on time max in less that 24 hrs. I don't even know how the screen was on for that long, I seriously barely used it. I was playing my 3DS all day yesterday.

4qkbrJE.png
1WW14B0.png
x62HKBy.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the leaked specs for the new HTC Flagship seem underwhelming.

They are top of the line too which feels weird to call underwhelming. Supposedly the M8 has an S800 with 2 gigs of RAM and a 1080p screen.

I guess it's just underwhelming because it's a next year phone even if HTC are usually the 1st to hit in the new year. That tier 2 rating man.

I mean the S800 is a solid step up from an S600, but both chips have been out for a while now. I feel like Samsung which usually releases a month or two after HTC will probably be the 1st to hit with a new lineup of chipsets.

DonMigs85

So the leaked specs for the new HTC Flagship seem underwhelming.

They are top of the line too which feels weird to call underwhelming. Supposedly the M8 has an S800 with 2 gigs of RAM and a 1080p screen.

I guess it's just underwhelming because it's a next year phone even if HTC are usually the 1st to hit in the new year. That tier 2 rating man.

I mean the S800 is a solid step up from an S600, but both chips have been out for a while now. I feel like Samsung which usually releases a month or two after HTC will probably be the 1st to hit with a new lineup of chipsets.

Yeah I would probably wait for an S805 phone

SuperSah

Banned
More impressions:

This phone is LIGHTNING fast. I can launch apps from cold in under 5 seconds, unlike my sluggish old phone.

The screen is gorgeous and god damn that battery is brilliant. Heavy usage for 1.5 hours and it only drops 15%, and that includes many downloads and a 50% bright 1080p screen.

I love it. ;_;

I got pushed 4.4 finally. Wow why did I even want this piece of shit? It makes my N4 noticeably slower. It adds absolutely nothing of value. Everything looks the same except the phone dialer got uglier and shit is slower. Oh but hey the startup animation is new. Cool!

Fucking Google.

Yah hate on me all you want but on the N4 this update is gimped trash.

Groof

I got pushed 4.4 finally. Wow why did I even want this piece of shit? It makes my N4 noticeably slower. It adds absolutely nothing of value. Everything looks the same except the phone dialer got uglier and shit is slower. Oh but hey the startup animation is new. Cool!

Fucking Google.

Yah hate on me all you want but on the N4 this update is gimped trash.

Dunno what you're talking about meng been on 4.4 since the first factory image got upped and it's been running great. Standby time is stellar too.
Design choices are a different story however, that I can agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom