• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groof

Fucking Viber has turned into a piece of shit with that Viber out bullshit. For some reason it doesn't recognise my contact list and pushes it to viber out calls. That never happened before it existed. Cunts.

Also, when the fuck are Google going to fix Hangouts so that video calls hang up properly. For what seems like an age they just don't disengage. Whatsapp should fuck them both up and introduce true voice calling and video calling.
Before whatsapp does that they need to fix ART support, I've got 2 days left before they're gonna force me to update.

yogloo

Guys, is Android System using around 23% battery a bad thing?

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be lower..

Something is keeping your phone awake. Mine is only 4%.
c5QkkJS.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest problem with hangouts is a general problem of companies thinking a 1.3 mp front camera is ok. 2 mp needs to be the new baseline. This effects all video chats on mobile though.

aznpxdd

God damn kitkat blows. My Nexus 4 is getting such horrible battery life after the update, the email app alone sucked 30% in a couple hours, and I didn't even receive a single email. Fucking terrible.

Jake.

this might be an obvious question but for the life of me i can't figure it out - how can i get winamp to just play one track? sometimes i go to sleep with a podcast playing and just want it to stop once the track has finished. i've tried clearing the play queue but it just keeps going through the list.

(is there a better music player?)

also, what's the best browser? i've been using dolphin for about a year but again, if there's something better i'm all ears.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So, I bought a Nexus 7 today and my first impressions can be summarised in one simple sentence.

'Fuck MTP.'

I can't get any of my media on to this thing without having Windows Explorer hang and crashing some com.process on the Nexus. I'd love to get SD mounting back.

HawkeyeIC

God damn kitkat blows. My Nexus 4 is getting such horrible battery life after the update, the email app alone sucked 30% in a couple hours, and I didn't even receive a single email. Fucking terrible.

Kitkat broke exchange...a fix is coming but for now change the refresh from push to five minutes.

So, I bought a Nexus 7 today and my first impressions can be summarised in one simple sentence.

'Fuck MTP.'

I can't get any of my media on to this thing without having Windows Explorer hang and crashing some com.process on the Nexus. I'd love to get SD mounting back.
Never had that happen. Then again I rarely connect via USB, like if doing a video dump for a home movie or something.

All my media is synced wirelessly though :)

DXPett1

Kitkat broke exchange...a fix is coming but for now change the refresh from push to five minutes.

That's a very broad and bullshit statement.

I use exchange heavily and haven't run into a single issue. 1 account is a internally hosted Exchange 2010 environment and the other is a external, possibly Exchange 2010 environment. Smooth sailing on both.

I would love to know what others are running for KitKat not to work. From what I know it surrounds environments using client certificates.

HawkeyeIC

That's a very broad and bullshit statement.

I use exchange heavily and haven't run into a single issue. 1 account is a internally hosted Exchange 2010 environment and the other is a external, possibly Exchange 2010 environment. Smooth sailing on both.

I would love to know what others are running for KitKat not to work. From what I know it surrounds environments using client certificates.

Broad, but it is a problem that shouldn't happen on a major os release.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Biggest problem with hangouts is a general problem of companies thinking a 1.3 mp front camera is ok. 2 mp needs to be the new baseline. This effects all video chats on mobile though.

Only when Apple does it will others follow. We'll probably get an 8MP front camera if Apple hypes up something like an HD front camera.

kehs

Banned
this might be an obvious question but for the life of me i can't figure it out - how can i get winamp to just play one track? sometimes i go to sleep with a podcast playing and just want it to stop once the track has finished. i've tried clearing the play queue but it just keeps going through the list.

(is there a better music player?)

also, what's the best browser? i've been using dolphin for about a year but again, if there's something better i'm all ears.

I haven't used winamp in ages, but if I remember it has a weird second queue going on. You could try creating a new play list.

Have you tried play music? Winamp is shutting down in like 10 days so you might as well switch to something else.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone else with a Nexus 5 or KK have Bluetooth headphone volume issues? I finally picked up a pair of LG HBS-730 ones and the minimum volume is loud. In fact, it doesn't even mute.

I connected it to my Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 running KK. Same issue. Tried stock and franco kernels. Volume is way too loud.

I connected it to my Nexus 10 running 4.3 JB. Works exactly how it should.

Threi

notag
The inconsistent removal of Holo blue should have been touched on more. It is incredibly sloppy in it's execution and makes the whole UI look like an unfinished mess. I'd honestly rather they just left it as it was (except for the status bar icons) instead of this half-assed job they did.

Guys,I need a tablet for about 200€. I'm eyeing three tablets right now: The tegra note 7 (from the UK), nexus 7 qualcomm, kindle fire HDX. They all cost about the same and have 16GB storage (enough for me).
Id' use them for internet browsing, watching yt/flash videos (and DLing them if possible), and some light productivity like writing mail/taking notes. Games are a plus but I'm not hugely interested in android gaming.
Which one would be best?

edit: also, kind of unrelated question: can you buy a usb adapter and use a normal keyboard with tablets in general? A friend of mine wanted to know :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Guys,I need a tablet for about 200€. I'm eyeing three tablets right now: The tegra note 7 (from the UK), nexus 7 qualcomm, kindle fire HDX. They all cost about the same and have 16GB storage (enough for me).
Id' use them for internet browsing, watching yt/flash videos (and DLing them if possible), and some light productivity like writing mail/taking notes. Games are a plus but I'm not hugely interested in android gaming.
Which one would be best?

edit: also, kind of unrelated question: can you buy a usb adapter and use a normal keyboard with tablets in general? A friend of mine wanted to know :p

Get the Nexus 7 no question.

Also I don't thnik you can with normal keyboards. That being said obviously there are blue tooth keyboard options.

SuperSah

Banned
I had Android System at 50% last night. The only thing I could think of was the Google Now widget I have on my home screen. After removing it, it seems to be having an effect.

Nothing's keeping my system awake other than the odd text/WhatsApp notification.

It seems to drop to 14% sometimes, then rise back up.

Could it be because I have not many apps running, so it automatically appears to be taking top priority?

My battery is nearly unaffected. I can get about 6 hours of on-screen time with around 26 hours off-charge use.

EDIT: removed my Google Now widget. I'll let you know if it has effect soon.

catmincer

So, am I the only one who keeps getting new google apps forced onto me? I never asked for Play Newstand, Play books or Play games. Yet they are on my phone and I cannot uninstall them.

yyzjohn

Banned
Open the app drawer, tap the home button then immediately tap the dots just above the app drawer icon. It opens the widgets-thing every time.

Yeah I've tried it multiple times on my Nexus 5 can't get the widgets to open like that. Tapping the dots after that combo does nothing. Running on ART if that makes any difference.

thespot84

if i hit appdrawer::home::appdrawer:home then press just above the appdrawer i can get the widgets to come up

gnex with 4.4 and GEL

yyzjohn

Banned
My buddy just got a Nexus 5 and he wants a browser that easily scrolls back to the top of the page (like Safari does). I only use chrome so I've never had this feature. Is there a 3rd party browser that implements it easily?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
My buddy just got a Nexus 5 and he wants a browser that easily scrolls back to the top of the page (like Safari does). I only use chrome so I've never had this feature. Is there a 3rd party browser that implements it easily?
Opera Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom