• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
So, am I the only one who keeps getting new google apps forced onto me? I never asked for Play Newstand, Play books or Play games. Yet they are on my phone and I cannot uninstall them.

It's called Google bloatware. These shills just don't acknowledge it, sadly.

Yep, I hope 4.4.1 smartens things up 4.4 feels like a beta.

Every android release except 3.0 has felt like a beta, if we are being honest.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Every android release except 3.0 has felt like a beta, if we are being honest.

3.0 felt like an alpha.

And I'd argue 4.1 was highly polished. 4.2 was a step back in some ways, and 4.3 barely changed anything. 4.4 has some rough edges but they're mostly app-specific, except for the lingering Holo blue.

MattDoza

So, are app updates force closing for everyone on KitKat, regardless of ART of Dalvik? It's annoying when there's multiple updates. Had to restart updates several times today.

catmincer

Except you can disable them. If you really need the 25MB of space that play newstand takes up I don't know what to say

I just don't like crap taking up space in my apps draw. Especially if they're what I don't consider essential things. Maps? Sure. That's useful. The other crap? nope.

Games I can kill, same with newstand but books won't f off.

Wife and I are going to drop our unlimited Verizon 4g plans (we've used a max combined usage of 12 GB and that was when we were both on business trips) and grab a Galaxy Note 3 (for me) and a Galaxy S4 (for her).

I'm not happy about the Samsung OS bloatware but I love the removable battery, expandable SD bay, and the processors in each.

Are we making a mistake? Let me know.

[EDIT] Cutting our bill from 210 with dual unlimited and 1400 talk to $180 with 12 GB and unlimited talk/text.

tr4656

Wife and I are going to drop our unlimited Verizon 4g plans (we've used a max combined usage of 12 GB and that was when we were both on business trips) and grab a Galaxy Note 3 (for me) and a Galaxy S4 (for her).

I'm not happy about the Samsung OS bloatware but I love the removable battery, expandable SD bay, and the processors in each.

[EDIT] Cutting our bill from 210 with dual unlimited and 1400 talk to $180 with 12 GB and unlimited talk/text.

I would still rather get Nexus since its much cheaper and is AOSP but obviously you lose the expandable storage and battery. Take your pick.

MattDoza

There are always options, however uninterested or unwilling you may be to them, of getting different software skins. Your wife could even convert her S4 into straight up GPe, if that's something she would prefer to have. The hardware of each is what seems to be selling you and your wife on the devices.

has she considered the LG G2? nah, it's better if you both get Samsungs anyway, S Beam is awesome and Group Play can be fun too

I would still rather get Nexus since its much cheaper and is AOSP but obviously you lose the expandable storage and battery. Take your pick.

VERIZON

Beezy

When I called up Verizon Wireless today to ask about my unlimited data, they offered me 6GB a month for just a penny extra ($30 instead of $29.99) if I got a new contract. Try your luck.

HawkeyeIC

Thinking of trying to get a moto X tomorrow, and selling my current one (would like to customize)....what's the best place to sell online?

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

There are always options, however uninterested or unwilling you may be to them, of getting different software skins. Your wife could even convert her S4 into straight up GPe, if that's something she would prefer to have. The hardware of each is what seems to be selling you and your wife on the devices.

You talking CyanogenMod? Or something else?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Short term thinking. You might not need it now but unlimited will eventually be useful no matter what. There's a reason they want to cap you.

Short term thinking. You might not need it now but unlimited will eventually be useful no matter what. There's a reason they want to cap you.

And when we get anywhere near that point in time, Verizon will end the unlimited contracts. They have every legal right to do so and the only reason they haven't until now is they're being nice. As a mega-corp, I don't depend on their niceness lasting forever.

Until that point in time, it's pointless for us. 20 hours of podcasts or music streaming uses 1 GB. I don't give a shit about sports and any movies I want to watch I can easily load onto my 64 GB SD card via USB 3.0 from my PC.

MattDoza

Oh, yeah, I'd very much be interested in that. Got a link?

[EDIT] Ick, sorry for the double post :(

Here's a link. I actually thought it was much more of a conversion than a ROM, so my comment may be a little misleading. I'm only familiar with the HTC One process. But it's worth checking out, if you think your wife will dislike Touchwiz as much as you do.

Edit: I had no idea about Verizon not allowing unlocking the bootloader. That kind of puts a halt to this conversion I put you on to. My bad.

Except you can disable them. If you really need the 25MB of space that play newstand takes up I don't know what to say

You can disable any bloatware you want on any device. But we are getting to a point where Nexus devices are losing some of their strong points. Stock ain't that perfect as a lot make it to be. I was a strong supporter but don't find it that great anymore.

New Nexus devices get "exclusive" features which can run on older devices. Older devices almost get dropped like a hot potato when the new one comes out.

Now there is bloat, and of all things it's duplicate apps bloat. Two of everything. Google is building Noahs Ark.

Salamando

On 4.4/Kitkat/Nexus 5, is there any way to adjust the frequency for gmail checking? It's pretty good when I'm on WiFi, but when I'm doing other stuff, it takes 30 min to sync.

kehs

Banned
LLShC.gif

jokkir

Is Poweramp worth it? It's going to go out of sale soon I think so I might get it.

I usually don't tinker around with the EQ and stuff or any features with Google Play Music. I just play my music and go >__>

Is Poweramp worth it? It's going to go out of sale soon I think so I might get it.

I usually don't tinker around with the EQ and stuff or any features with Google Play Music. I just play my music and go >__>

It's the best offline music player for Android, if for no other reason than the play list function is to die for.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

If you don't currently tinker why drop the cash?

If all you do is play music then Play Music already does everything you need, and there is no reason to look else where.

Haha, oh man.. my wife and I completely screwed up Cyber Monday.

She spent so much time deciding between a black or white Galaxy S4 and I spent so much time researching the Galaxy Note 3 that by the time we went to place our order, at 1 AM, Amazon had already sold out of the S4.

So we just ordered off of Verizon Wireless. S4 was $100 instead of $50, plus we had to pay tax and 2x$30 in activation fees.

We lost $130 by not being decisive :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom