• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyzjohn

Banned
Scroll fast, and you'll see an arrow pop up on the right hand side.

Oh, I think he's looking for a solution where you just tap a part of the screen and it auto-scrolls to the top (like tapping the safari bar at the top). He basically wants a browser that acts like Safari on an iPhone cause he just came from that.

Fatalah

You want a screwed up Cyber Monday? Look no further than Motorola. Their deal on the Moto X was supposed to start over ten hours ago and you still can't order one.

I have faith Motorola will bend over backwards to smooth things over. Their customer support has been fantastic today, via web chat and telephone.

I bet Moto reschedules the sale + extends it for a longer period of time. They already announced increased stock.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Motorola Support ‏@MotorolaSupport 15m
If we’re not live by 9:30 PM ET tonight, we'll offer the price promo @ Noon ET on Wed and again on Mon 12/9, doubling the devices available.

What a clusterfuck. I wanted to give them $400 today and they just didn't want to take it.

Fatalah

I have faith Motorola will bend over backwards to smooth things over. Their customer support has been fantastic today, via web chat and telephone.

I bet Moto reschedules the sale + extends it for a longer period of time. They already announced increased stock.

What a clusterfuck. I wanted to give them $400 today and they just didn't want to take it.

Motorola Twitter said:
Sorry we left you hanging today. We want to make it up to you with 2 days of price promos on Wed and Mon. We’ve added more devices too.

And there you have it.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
They should have rescheduled it a long time ago, but they left all these people sitting at their computer refreshing a twitter feed all day. Does wonders for your brand when it's already on the rocks...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I'd say it is. I've got a Galaxy Nexus which isn't too different from your S3 and the Moto X felt like a worthy upgrade when I tried it in store. Everyone says it's a "mid-range" phone because of the CPU and the resolution, but the phone was smoother than anything I tried at Verizon incl. the S4 and G2. As for 720p, it's not very noticeable unless you get the screen real close to your eyes. At a normal operating distance, it's pretty indistinguishable from the 1080p screens. The OLED panel in the Moto X is also a step above the one in my Nexus (and the S3), mostly due to the better sub-pixel arrangement but the color temperature seemed more accurate on the X and viewing angles were superb as usual.

Nakazato

I'd say it is. I've got a Galaxy Nexus which isn't too different from your S3 and the Moto X felt like a worthy upgrade when I tried it in store. Everyone says it's a "mid-range" phone because of the CPU and the resolution, but the phone was smoother than anything I tried at Verizon incl. the S4 and G2. As for 720p, it's not very noticeable unless you get the screen real close to your eyes. At a normal operating distance, it's pretty indistinguishable from the 1080p screens. The OLED panel in the Moto X is also a step above the one in my Nexus (and the S3), mostly due to the better sub-pixel arrangement but the color temperature seemed more accurate on the X and viewing angles were superb as usual.

Thanks! How is the bat life ? I work 12-16 hours a day think it will hold up ?

In today's episode of "how fucked is HTC?":

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/...ia-patent-infringement-original-htc-one-next/

"HTC was dealt a massive blow today after a court ruled that the HTC One Mini infringed one of Nokia’s patents and shouldn’t be sold in the UK. From December 6th, the Taiwanese phone maker will effectively banned from stocking the handset in the region."

"HTC argued that it would be “catastrophic” if it could no longer sell the HTC One, its flagship Android handset in the UK. The court accepted that a sales block would make HTC vulnerable between now and March next year, when it will release a successor to the HTC One, and has given the company until December 6 to appeal its decision.

The HTC One Mini, however, will not be applicable for this appeal. “In the case of the One Mini, the balance comes down in favour of refusing a stay,” the court said. In this case the potential harm is more evenly weighted, but importantly the phone was launched much more recently and HTC designed and launched it at a time when HTC knew it was facing a claim for infringement of the Patent.”"

HTC One banned too, but they can appeal the decision. HTC One Mini is banned for good with no room for appeal. Whatever they have can be sold until the 6th of December.

Also, if HTC don't win the appeal (and there is a fair chance they won't) none of their current line up can be sold in the UK. Since UK court rulings must be taken into account for patent cases across the EU it could lead to an EU-wide sales ban on pretty much all of their current line up and significant changes to their 2014 line up leading to delays for their European launch.

I kind of feel sorry for them but Nokia are really going in for the kill now that they have no stake in the market.

Groof

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/...ia-patent-infringement-original-htc-one-next/

"HTC was dealt a massive blow today after a court ruled that the HTC One Mini infringed one of Nokia’s patents and shouldn’t be sold in the UK. From December 6th, the Taiwanese phone maker will effectively banned from stocking the handset in the region."

"HTC argued that it would be “catastrophic” if it could no longer sell the HTC One, its flagship Android handset in the UK. The court accepted that a sales block would make HTC vulnerable between now and March next year, when it will release a successor to the HTC One, and has given the company until December 6 to appeal its decision.

The HTC One Mini, however, will not be applicable for this appeal. “In the case of the One Mini, the balance comes down in favour of refusing a stay,” the court said. In this case the potential harm is more evenly weighted, but importantly the phone was launched much more recently and HTC designed and launched it at a time when HTC knew it was facing a claim for infringement of the Patent.”"

HTC One banned too, but they can appeal the decision. HTC One Mini is banned for good with no room for appeal. Whatever they have can be sold until the 6th of December.

Also, if HTC don't win the appeal (and there is a fair chance they won't) none of their current line up can be sold in the UK. Since UK court rulings must be taken into account for patent cases across the EU it could lead to an EU-wide sales ban on pretty much all of their current line up and significant changes to their 2014 line up leading to delays for their European launch.

I kind of feel sorry for them but Nokia are really going in for the kill now that they have no stake in the market.
Wowowowowowow are they serious? Unless that appeal goes through there's no way HTC survives in the UK. If they don't rush the release the One2 that is.

Wowowowowowow are they serious? Unless that appeal goes through there's no way HTC survives in the UK. If they don't rush the release the One2 that is.

Given the patents they are infringing there is no way they can rush the One II as it will need significant design changes if they have stuck to the same parts/philosophy as the One.

The bigger issue for HTC is that this counts as a landmark ruling and Nokia can take it across the whole of Europe now as a precedent. The UK is one of the courts that the ECJ must take into account when making a ruling on IP cases. It is a huge win for Nokia and their new IP licencing division.

Google Play Services has been absolutely draining the battery on my Nexus 5 the past few days.

I don't know what happened; the battery life had previously been solid, though not extraordinary.

tr4656

What the hell Nokia. Shit on Samsung or something, not on HTC who's already in trouble.

jokkir

VSCO Cam is out on Android

It's a photo editing app that has pretty good looking filters and is one of the most popular photo editing apps on iOS.

Here's some photo examples taken and edited from the VSCO Cam app:
ODYi23v.jpg

YR6hQcy.jpg

tM87TNN.jpg

Zyp19OE.jpg

Play Store link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vsco.cam

What the hell Nokia. Shit on Samsung or something, not on HTC who's already in trouble.

Samsung probably aren't infringing on these specific patents or have enough common IP with Nokia that it wouldn't be worth breaking a cross licencing deal for. HTC's problem is that they don't have the IP portfolio of the larger companies and they also don't innovate and patent like Apple who are also a relatively new entrant to the market to enlarge their portfolio to ensure they don't run into trouble like this.

After their deal with Apple and MS, and with Nokia licencing deal not far off, I wouldn't be surprised if $50 from each sale goes to those three companies making their product line up less profitable or less attractive.

I kind of feel bad for them, but Peter Chou has led this company into a fucking hole and he deserves everything coming to him.

magenta

Dammit jokkir I was going to post this :p

I been waiting for this app since they announced the beta ages ago. Probably the best photography app out there. Should pair well with the camera on my Z1 :)

Groof

Given the patents they are infringing there is no way they can rush the One II as it will need significant design changes if they have stuck to the same parts/philosophy as the One.

The bigger issue for HTC is that this counts as a landmark ruling and Nokia can take it across the whole of Europe now as a precedent. The UK is one of the courts that the ECJ must take into account when making a ruling on IP cases. It is a huge win for Nokia and their new IP licencing division.

Absolutely mind fucking how big this is for HTC. Absolutely horrible for them.
Do you know what the patent entails? I didn't quite get it from the source link.

Absolutely mind fucking how big this is for HTC. Absolutely horrible for them.
Do you know what the patent entails? I didn't quite get it from the source link.

I think it's something to do with the earpiece and wireless chips. Not sure though. They aren't FRAND which is important since Nokia wouldn't be able to request a sales ban for the devices.

Seems stupid that they made the One Mini with the exact same part which Nokia already told them was infringing on their patents. They really do bring it on themselves sometimes.

Groof

I think it's something to do with the earpiece and wireless chips. Not sure though. They aren't FRAND which is important since Nokia wouldn't be able to request a sales ban for the devices.

Seems stupid that they made the One Mini with the exact same part which Nokia already told them was infringing on their patents. They really do bring it on themselves sometimes.

Insane. If they go out of EU they're fucked for real. They can't last 'til March without it. Better get cracking on that HTC Two.

Insane. If they go out of EU they're fucked for real. They can't last 'til March without it. Better get cracking on that HTC Two.

Well according to the court documents they have had revenues of £220m in the UK for the first nine months of the year, I don't think they can afford to lose the UK which is probably one of their profitable countries. If they get blocked from the EU by Nokia then they really are done for and may as well declare bankruptcy to await a bail out from the Taiwanese government or liquidation and asset sales to mainland companies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
HTC screwed up bad. That's pretty devastating. Surprising the court allowed them to sell the One. If your business relies on an infringing product, too bad. Mighty kind.

Consumer loses.

Thanks, jokkir. I just downloaded the app!

rc213

Google Play Services has been absolutely draining the battery on my Nexus 5 the past few days.

I don't know what happened; the battery life had previously been solid, though not extraordinary.

Same here, I was averaging 3-4hrs on screen time with 36hrs off battery, Now overnight the battery drains almost 20% doing nothing.

Can i switch over an iPhone 5 and Nokia lumia from vzw to T-Mobile? Let's say I can unlock it myself. Will the hardware work? Yes I know they are on cdma going to gsm, but I thought they had chips for both.

Can it be done?

Debating on ting or T-Mobile, ability to keep phones is big

Groof

Well according to the court documents they have had revenues of £220m in the UK for the first nine months of the year, I don't think they can afford to lose the UK which is probably one of their profitable countries. If they get blocked from the EU by Nokia then they really are done for and may as well declare bankruptcy to await a bail out from the Taiwanese government or liquidation and asset sales to mainland companies.

Yep they're fucked. This is really sad news though, considering they tried. But like you said, if you're going to release a device knowing it obviously infringes on patents then you're bringing it on yourself.

Also wow at that Android Police post on VSCO. That just seems really out of character for them. Though I do agree I don't get why it tries to make its own thing, making it really obscure to pull in and extract files from the app. Also the interface is very unintuitive. Took me a good while to understand what the hell it was.

SimleuqiR

Also wow at that Android Police post on VSCO. That just seems really out of character for them. Though I do agree I don't get why it tries to make its own thing, making it really obscure to pull in and extract files from the app. Also the interface is very unintuitive. Took me a good while to understand what the hell it was.

AP calls bull where it sees it. I mean, they pretty much broke down Kit Kat and showed how unpolished it is. I have no problem if they feel VSCO app is full of it. If they want to be sarcastic about it, that's just a writing choice.

I also found it very difficult to navigate initially. But I don't fault the developer for trying to do it's own thing (like it or not).

Groof

AP calls bull where it sees it. I mean, they pretty much broke down Kit Kat and showed how unpolished it is. I have no problem if they feel VSCO app is full of it. If they want to be sarcastic about it, that's just a writing choice.

I also found it very difficult to navigate initially. But I don't fault the developer for trying to do it's own thing (like it or not).

They can be sarcastic all they want, but that was plain out hate.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah it's very confusing. Why don't pictures taken with it show up in my Photos app? Why can't I use it as a camera replacement? Why can't I import my pictures?

That slide out menu was well hidden.

jokkir

Yeah it's very confusing. Why don't pictures taken with it show up in my Photos app? Why can't I use it as a camera replacement? Why can't I import my pictures?

That slide out menu was well hidden.

Yeah, the UI is pretty confusing.

It's not a camera replacement because it's more like Snapseed if anything where you can't record video, take panorama shots, etc. So replacing the camera on your device would be a bad choice.

I never actually tried to save yet so can't comment on the picture not showing up in the Photo app. You can import photos though. Just click the + in the gallery section part of the app then import your pictures.

The UI is so confusing though. I have no idea what 90% of the buttons mean unless I click on them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You actually can import pictures but you have to press the big + bar in the gallery and add them one by one.

I wonder if there's a good hipster camera app that actually follows the Holo design guide. If there isn't I should make one and rake in the dough.

Bboy AJ

Yeah, it's a one by one import. No thanks. Total PITA. Anyway, I have an account there now. http://aj1.vsco.co

Today was the first day Google Play Services didn't kill my phone. Actually had battery at the end of the day. Surprising.

jokkir

To make the picture visible in the Gallery, you're supposed to actually save it. Go to the gallery section of the app, then the hit the icon with the square and arrow and click on "Save to Gallery".

Did a quick test of the filter:

Here's a reply back from the author of that VSCO article on Android Police:
It's probably because I'm a snarky dick.

Seriously though, I am very much against apps that throw a bunch of filters and a quasi-exclusive gallery together and call it a social network. Every Android phone has a camera. Every Android phone running 4.0 or later has some pretty great editing tools. All of them can share to any social network. These artificial platforms and "tools" are completely unnecessary, even for people who love taking and sharing photos.

EDIT - And from his other replies in the comments, he seems to be really against filters and hipsters. And anything with a filter = hipster apparently.

Bboy AJ

Why would I use VSCO over, say, Snapseed? Snap is completely free, no? I'm debating whether to purchase the launch pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom