• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

No. Rulebook says phones with SD card and removable battery automatically beat up phones without.

Galaxy Nexus has no SD card, and the removable batter has done nothing for me. I've bought an extended batter that hasn't CRAP for my shitt ass GNex

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's not 1500 mah. Relax. If it is, I'll punish myself by buying one and using it. ...maybe.

So the 4.3 update aint so bad after all (nexus 4 dump).

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-43-r...vealed-craigslist-nexus-4-system-dump-1353423

Beside the Bluetooth stuff apparently there is:

- better animations/performance/audio
- volume buttons work as camera button now (megaton?), better camera app
- dialer auto complete (welcome to 2009 google, megaton lol)
- notification settings
- new widgets

XDA users also report better performance and battery life. (and the camera stuff)

Martian

Question: A while back I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S2 to 4.3 (?) but it has been terrible. The update swallows such a large amount of memory that my phone constantly keeps crashing.

I tried to reset it into starting settings (?), because someone suggested to do that to get 2.0 back. But it is still android 4.3.

Any way to get back to an older version of Android that is not difficult (ie. no custom firmware or anything, because I have zero knowledge)

3phemeral

Question: A while back I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S2 to 4.3 (?) but it has been terrible. The update swallows such a large amount of memory that my phone constantly keeps crashing.

I tried to reset it into starting settings (?), because someone suggested to do that to get 2.0 back. But it is still android 4.3.

Any way to get back to an older version of Android that is not difficult (ie. no custom firmware or anything, because I have zero knowledge)
Not sure what information you're getting, but it doesn't seem like you're getting any correct info.

To find the version, go to your settings and then check "About phone." That should tell you what version you're getting. You're definitely not getting 4.3. And if it's stock, I don't think you're getting 4.2, either. I could be wrong because I don't know what latest version the S2 has, but I imagine 4.1.

Doing a Factory Rest will not revert your system back to the older Android version. It just resets everything as if you just bought it (with whatever version of Android that was most recently installed). Once you've updated, you can't go back unless you unlock and flash the stock ROM.

Was your device really Gingerbread and you updated to ICS? Maybe you should try using a different launcher to see f that speeds up the feel of your phone? Try Nova Launcher or APEX or ADW EX or even Action Launcher.

Not sure what other issues you may be having. How much internal memory do you have and how much space do you have left? You can find this out via your Storage option in the settings menu.

Martian

Not sure what information you're getting, but it doesn't seem like you're getting any correct info.

To find the version, go to your settings and then check "About phone." That should tell you what version you're getting. You're definitely not getting 4.3. And if it's stock, I don't think you're getting 4.2, either. I could be wrong because I don't know what latest version the S2 has, but I imagine 4.1.

Doing a Factory Rest will not revert your system back to the older Android version. It just resets everything as if you just bought it (with whatever version of Android that was most recently installed). Once you've updated, you can't go back unless you unlock and flash the stock ROM.

Was your device really Gingerbread and you updated to ICS? Maybe you should try using a different launcher to see f that speeds up the feel of your phone? Try Nova Launcher or APEX or ADW EX or even Action Launcher.

Not sure what other issues you may be having. How much internal memory do you have and how much space do you have left? You can find this out via your Storage option in the settings menu.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I indeed have 4.1.2

I have 16 gigs. According to my task manager i have 772 mb/1,97 gigs left and 7.9/11.5 gigs left.

My RAM constantly goes to 600/800 without me doing anything. Even when I erase my memory it takes like 30 seconds to get up to 500 again.

When I try to unlock my screen it freezes. Then I try to shut the screen off, but that wont work either. I have to wait like 15 seconds before I can unlock my phone (9/10 times)

I bought my S2 2 years ago and I believe it had 2.3 (so gingerbread). I remember that because that was a version where the voice command came up everytime you pressed home butten (even though it should only happen if you tap it twice)

3phemeral

Thanks for the quick reply!

I indeed have 4.1.2

I have 16 gigs. According to my task manager i have 772 mb/1,97 gigs left and 7.9/11.5 gigs left.

My RAM constantly goes to 600/800 without me doing anything. Even when I erase my memory it takes like 30 seconds to get up to 500 again.

When I try to unlock my screen it freezes. Then I try to shut the screen off, but that wont work either. I have to wait like 15 seconds before I can unlock my phone (9/10 times)

I bought my S2 2 years ago and I believe it had 2.3 (so gingerbread). I remember that because that was a version where the voice command came up everytime you pressed home butten (even though it should only happen if you tap it twice)

Don't use any task managers to clear your memory, unless you mean that you're just swiping away the apps via the built-in recent-apps function. But Task Managers like Task Killer are bad for your phone and can slow it down rather than speed it up.

I'm not sure how the update could significantly impact your phone like that. You seem like you have a lot of internal memory left. So I really don't know.

As for reverting your ROM, I just remember that you might be able to use Samsung's Odin software to do so. Although, I've never used it myself. I think you actually have to download the original ROM from Samsung to your PC and actually flash your phone using a USB cable with Samsung's official Odin software. You'll probably have to check or Samsung's website or XDA to find out what you can do because I've never really tinkered with a stock S2 before.

If you've done a Factory Reset and that still has not solved any issues, there's not much you can do, I think. Is it slow from the get-go after you reset and have absolutely no apps installed other than the apps it came with?

Cipherr

So the 4.3 update aint so bad after all (nexus 4 dump).

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-43-r...vealed-craigslist-nexus-4-system-dump-1353423

Beside the Bluetooth stuff apparently there is:

- better animations/performance/audio
- volume buttons work as camera button now (megaton?), better camera app
- dialer auto complete (welcome to 2009 google, megaton lol)
- notification settings
- new widgets

XDA users also report better performance and battery life. (and the camera stuff)

This is actually a good look. In particular I like the fact that you can pull up a history of your notifications now.

That's just baller.

thuway

Is Moto X supposed to be $599 or $299 off contract? If it's anywhere in the realm of $599, I'm going straight to Honami or Galaxy S4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The amount of people who have an Android device and want to be "into Android" that have no clue about Linux or the larger FOSS world in general abound.

It makes dealing with certain issues a total uphill battle. *sigh*

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The amount of people who have an Android device and want to be "into Android" that have no clue about Linux or the larger FOSS world in general abound.

It makes dealing with certain issues a total uphill battle. *sigh*
Which type of issues you're talking about? Any examples?

This is actually a good look. In particular I like the fact that you can pull up a history of your notifications now.

That's just baller.

More info from AP. They posted the N4 4.3 leak which can be installed over the current version without wiping the device. The writer doesn't like the new notification system that much:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...droid-4-3-jwr66n-from-the-leaked-system-dump/

I'm gonna install this leak, can't wait for the official OTA.

Vanillalite

Which type of issues you're talking about? Any examples?

Things like what Google actually uses that is under GPL or stuff like ZOMG the NSA must have a backdoor into SELinux since they crafted the SELinux idea years ago or the difference between the user space and the kernel space.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
MotoX-512x460.png

edit: wtf pctx lol

Vanillalite

I figured 4.3 would be better than originally expected. That is why I kept posting wondering about backend changes for the current nexus devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom