• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
AaGw5Br.png
based note 3

Hey, I've got a question if anyone can help me. I have a Nexus 5 and I was wondering if the default weather cards (not sure if this is the name, it's the card for weather when I swipe to the left most screen) alert you for weather warnings and state of emergencies? I know the weatherbug app used to do it for me but I was wondering if anything from google does it. I don't really want two things on my phone and I like the cards but I miss not getting up to date alerts on storm warnings and state of emergencies being called for my state. I didn't get an alert about the state of emergency last night which made me think of it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hey, I've got a question if anyone can help me. I have a Nexus 5 and I was wondering if the default weather cards (not sure if this is the name, it's the card for weather when I swipe to the left most screen) alert you for weather warnings and state of emergencies? I know the weatherbug app used to do it for me but I was wondering if anything from google does it. I don't really want two things on my phone and I like the cards but I miss not getting up to date alerts on storm warnings and state of emergencies being called for my state. I didn't get an alert about the state of emergency last night which made me think of it.

Not in my experience. I've never seen one

kehs

Banned

Google now does weather alerts, but they're not too reliable. I remember getting one while I was halfway through work inside of a thunderstorm.

VoxPop

Is it just me or are there a lack of new phones recently? Only things out right now are Samsung trash and the wonderful N5 (battery+camera being the only concerns). I'm usually one for switching my phone every couple of months but there seems to be nothing on the horizon. Just swapping out between my 5S and One for the time being.

Kiraly

Is it just me or are there a lack of new phones recently? Only things out right now are Samsung trash and the wonderful N5 (battery+camera being the only concerns). I'm usually one for switching my phone every couple of months but there seems to be nothing on the horizon. Just swapping out between my 5S and One for the time being.

LG G2 fixes all of that, giving you shitty software in return.

SuperSah

Banned
So just how awesome is that Note 3? Anyone recently acquire one, I'd love some in depth comments on it.

Pure awesome.

The screen is excellent. Colours look superb and very, very accurate with a nice subtle warm tone which doesn't hurt your eyes.

The phone is a speed demon. That 2.3ghz SnapDragon 800 and 3GB RAM never faulter. Apps load in a second, the thing nevers slows down no matter what it is you have open. It's amazing.

The S-Pen rocks. I didn't think I needed it, but all the air gestures help significantly and writing notes and drawing feels so natural. It's also pressure sensitive, so that's a plus.

Battery is ace. 6hrs constant use over two days is superb.

Finally, dat 13mp camera is outstanding and 4K recording and 1080p/60fps? Aw yes.

Gwanatu T

I don't understand all the hate for LG's software. It has a similar aesthetic to Samsung software but without the stupid little quirks like not being able to swipe between tabs and stuff. Oh and it's way faster and less buggy than TouchWiz. Also the camera rocks, don't know what kind of crack you guys are smoking.

kinggroin

Banned
Pure awesome.

The screen is excellent. Colours look superb and very, very accurate with a nice subtle warm tone which doesn't hurt your eyes.

The phone is a speed demon. That 2.3ghz SnapDragon 800 and 3GB RAM never faulter. Apps load in a second, the thing nevers slows down no matter what it is you have open. It's amazing.

The S-Pen rocks. I didn't think I needed it, but all the air gestures help significantly and writing notes and drawing feels so natural. It's also pressure sensitive, so that's a plus.

Battery is ace. 6hrs constant use over two days is superb.

Finally, dat 13mp camera is outstanding and 4K recording and 1080p/60fps? Aw yes.

I'm looking to buy a new samsung phone to replace my shitty N5, but I need some more info from someone with extensive knowledge on the subject. Questions:

Can this record 4K?

Is the battery heavy; I mean, outside the phone (I'm sure I don't need to explain why I'm asking this, its pretty obvious, lol)

If I enable ART mode do I get more RAM free?

How much RAM is available with ART?

Do you get the memory back when closing apps or not (with ART)?

Is the metal band on the edge of the phone conductive in any way? Like with static and such.

Thanks for the help SuperSah.

Edit: One more thing, on the SoA (Scale of Awesomeness), what would you rate it out of ten.

My hand is hovering over the add to cart. So excited

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I'm looking to buy a new samsung phone to replace my shitty N5, but I need some more info from someone with extensive knowledge on the subject. Questions:

Can this record 4K? yes, but not all models

Is the battery heavy; I mean, outside the phone (I'm sure I don't need to explain why I'm asking this, its pretty obvious, lol) uh...I think?

If I enable ART mode do I get more RAM free? ART is only on 4.4

How much RAM is available with ART? See above

Do you get the memory back when closing apps or not (with ART)? See Above

Is the metal band on the edge of the phone conductive in any way? Like with static and such. It's plastic

SuperSah

Banned

Can this record 4K?

Is the battery heavy; I mean, outside the phone (I'm sure I don't need to explain why I'm asking this, its pretty obvious, lol)

If I enable ART mode do I get more RAM free?

How much RAM is available with ART?

Do you get the memory back when closing apps or not (with ART)?

Is the metal band on the edge of the phone conductive in any way? Like with static and such.

Edit: One more thing, on the SoA (Scale of Awesomeness), what would you rate it out of ten.

My hand is hovering over the add to cart. So excited

I give it a solid 9/10.

Only issue is the phone feels slightly light, but that's personal preference.

Also, get black, some weird people saying the white feels a lot cheaper.

VoxPop

Software I don't mind so much since I could just put a custom ROM on top but while the G2 specs are great, the N5 just looks so much better. Aesthetics are a big thing for me so I'm trying to find the right balance between phones. I was eyeing the Xperia Z but its pretty dated now and the Z Ultra is just way too damn big.

Software I don't mind so much since I could just put a custom ROM on top but while the G2 specs are great, the N5 just looks so much better. Aesthetics are a big thing for me so I'm trying to find the right balance between phones. I was eyeing the Xperia Z but its pretty dated now and the Z Ultra is just way too damn big.

Battery life is night and day between both devices.

kehs

Banned
No like one of those old school double click pens that you write in both blue and red in by clicking twice.

Or something like this, but that fits in the silo:

lunatik-touch-pen-stylus.jpg

kinggroin

Banned
I give it a solid 9/10.

Only issue is the phone feels slightly light, but that's personal preference.

Also, get black, some weird people saying the white feels a lot cheaper.

Nice to hear, you've been super helpful bro.

Ended up going with a Moto G in the end. Didn't realize the note was using touchwiz, and one of my stipulations was that it had to be an android phone.

Thanks for everyone's help in the thread

kehs

Banned
The g isn't any better though, not only do they have all of google's bloatware on it, they've also decided to add bunch of stuff they found in the xoom tron holo repository.

SuperSah

Banned
Nice to hear, you've been super helpful bro.

Ended up going with a Moto G in the end. Didn't realize the note was using touchwiz, and one of my stipulations was that it had to be an android phone.

Thanks for everyone's help in the thread

Should of gotten a Note 3.

But well done on your choice anyway, glad to be of assistance. :)

leng jai

I don't even seem to have that option on my HTC One. I used to be able to change my wallpaper on the lock screen but I can't even do that now.

Cousteau

Thought I was going to purchase the Note 3 tonight but I changed my mind and went with the Nexus 5.
I'll get a Note on down the road.

I'm in the club now.

-PXG-

Using KitKat on my N7 makes me miss Cyanogen a whole lot. My GS4 is running CM 10.2. Google needs to step it up and add more functionality.

For instance, on my N7, I can't change the quick settings tiles. On my phone, I can. Why does Google think I want to have those specific features up top. I'm the only one using me devices, so profiles are useless. Let me choose and organize them freely, damnit.

My N7 is rooted but no custom ROMS or kernels at the moment. CM 11 still isn't where I want it to be. Way too buggy. Plus I'm sure AOSP browser still doesn't work on KitKat anyway.

Rengoku

Using KitKat on my N7 makes me miss Cyanogen a whole lot. My GS4 is running CM 10.2. Google needs to step it up and add more functionality.

For instance, on my N7, I can't change the quick settings tiles. On my phone, I can. Why does Google think I want to have those specific features up top. I'm the only one using me devices, so profiles are useless. Let me choose and organize them freely, damnit.

My N7 is rooted but no custom ROMS or kernels at the moment. CM 11 still isn't where I want it to be. Way too buggy. Plus I'm sure AOSP browser still doesn't work on KitKat anyway.

Huh? You just need to install Xposed Framework and then enable the Gravity Box module. Then you can tweak your quick settings tiles to your hearts content.

I'm calling bullshit on the name of the M8, HTC One+ sounds idiotic. Also the specs. S805 is sampling for OEMs in Q1 with mass shipments at the end of Q2. Part of the reason Sony shifted their flagship to the second half was to ensure they would benefit from the latest chipsets and it's also why Samsung have the Note series in the second half. Not only that, but HTC are now a tier two buyer for Qualcomm. They couldn't even get their hands on any 2013 S800 shipments for the One Max and had to stick with S600. If they are releasing in the first half then it is going to be based on S800, probably the older revision rather than the MSM8974AB revision used in the Note 3 and Z1. HTC no longer have the buying power and will have to make do with whatever scraps Qualcomm throw them off the table.

Honestly, that list reads like wishful thinking, same as all those ones we used to get for the Sony flagships. Also, I highly, highly doubt the western version of the M8 will have a removable SD slot. HTC have said previously that they aren't going back to that model. I don't see what has changed since then. If anything the people who may have been able to push back against the decision have been forced out of the company and Peter Chou has strengthened his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom