• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
ZxwM8Ar.jpg

I love how they put the bigger/biggest flagship phones out for everyone but for HTC they chose the mini.

Can't show that the HTC One actually ships with 32gig standard as it would fuck up their graph.

Vanillalite

Yeah it would, since the title is "16gb phones"

Only reason the title is 16 gig phones cause everyone is still being fucking cheapass and going with 16 gig stock for their phones. Don't make an excuse.

The chart is basically everyone's current flagship phone, BUT HTC because HTC would fuck the chart up.

Get that weak shit out of here.

Gvaz

Banned
Where was I saying that? I'm saying that its 500 compressed for like 3-6 apps I use. Google music and the like is garbage.

this_guy

Only reason the title is 16 gig phones cause everyone is still being fucking cheapass and going with 16 gig stock for their phones. Don't make an excuse.

The chart is basically everyone's current flagship phone, BUT HTC because HTC would fuck the chart up.

What's wrong with you? The graph is a comparison of how much usable space is available from the advertised 16gb storage. You're taking it to personally.

Vanillalite

What's wrong with you? The graph is a comparison of how much usable space is available from the advertised 16gb storage. You're taking it to personally.

You SHOULD take it personally. I mean Apple or Samsung or Sony is trying to sell you an extra 16 gigs for $100. That shit costs them pennies. At least Sammy gives you an sd slot, but still.

If everyone had 32 gigs of storage the idea that preinstalled apps and the OS and such take up X amount of room wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Plus why even include HTC on the chart if they are the only one you aren't gonna throw up their flagship for.

I'm guessing if the HTC One were 16 it'd have around 10.4gb available

Need a new phone. Been using a Galaxy S2 and I'm in need of an upgrade and was going to go pick up an LG G2 since it's a $100 off at T-Mobile online. Good decision or is there a another phone to get or one coming out that I should wait for?

Ended up not getting the LG G2 and picked up a Galaxy Note 3 instead. Coming from a Galaxy S2, this phone is beyond amazing.

SuperSah

Banned
Ended up not getting the LG G2 and picked up a Galaxy Note 3 instead. Coming from a Galaxy S2, this phone is beyond amazing.

Welcome, to the master race.

Lovely phone, 4.4.2 is currently rolling out too, with increased performance and more available RAM up to 2.7GB.

A lot more stuff, but I can't be bothered to list it.

Vanillalite

Need a new phone. Been using a Galaxy S2 and I'm in need of an upgrade and was going to go pick up an LG G2 since it's a $100 off at T-Mobile online. Good decision or is there a another phone to get or one coming out that I should wait for?

It's a good deal on a good phone in theory. Is this paying monthly or getting the phone outright?

If you can wait you can get a 2014 phone, but know at least at 1st you aren't gonna get a deal at launch.

Depending upon the price stuff that I asked about the Moto G, Moto X, or Nexus 5 might be better. YMMV though depending upon factors.

so basically they made a bullshit chart that excludes the flagship WITH THE MOST AVAILABLE SPACE ... because .. reasons

sounds like some sort of agenda there

Wow someone that gets it. It's not that hard people.

An agenda of showing people how much they're getting when buying a 16gb phone from different OEMs.

exactly!

instead of comparing flagship devices and free space, they include the .... HTC One Max!?!?! loooooooool...

it's a bullshit arbitrary chart and *i'm* saying this, a big HTC One hater. the exclusion of the HTC One makes the chart itself ... a joke. a farce. a phony. a fraud. there is no sane defense of it.

Groof

exactly!

instead of comparing flagship devices and free space, they include the .... HTC One Max!?!?! loooooooool...

it's a bullshit arbitrary chart and *i'm* saying this, a big HTC One hater. the exclusion of the HTC One makes the chart itself ... a joke. a farce. a phony. a fraud. there is no sane defense of it.

Let's face it, most people get the cheaper option when choosing phones, which just so happens to be the 16gb version. Since the HTC One doesn't have a 16gb version it can't fit on the chart, so they have to go to their next best thing which does. Either way, it's pretty applicable even on the 32gb versions. The amount of storage lost on the lower storage devices is probably the amount lost on the bigger, and I don't think the space lost on the One mini vs One differs very much.

Either way HTC are soon dead so it doesn't really matter which device they compare.

Let's face it, most people get the cheaper option when choosing phones, which just so happens to be the 16gb version. Since the HTC One doesn't have a 16gb version it can't fit on the chart, so they have to go to their next best thing which does. Either way, it's pretty applicable even on the 32gb versions. The amount of storage lost on the lower storage devices is probably the amount lost on the bigger, and I don't think the space lost on the One mini vs One differs very much.

Either way HTC are soon dead so it doesn't really matter which device they compare.

nah.

the 32GB HTC One should be listed on the chart, tough shit to the other companies that only ship with 16GB standard.

why exclude the flagship mobile android handset by HTC unless there's an agenda somewhere...

Groof

The one who did that should make a chart for 32gb phones as well to appease all the people missing the point. I doubt the chart would be very different.

kharma45

nah.

the 32GB HTC One should be listed on the chart, tough shit to the other companies that only ship with 16GB standard.

why exclude the flagship mobile android handset by HTC unless there's an agenda somewhere...

Which?'s whole raison d'etre is impartiality so I doubt that.

There's no conspiracy at work. They wanted to compare 16GB models, that's the height of it.

Cipherr

Ignoring SD cheap and expandable storage is silly enough on its own, but partially excusable. But when you pile on the random ceiling of 16GB (for what reason exactly) in order to leave out the HTC flagship also, it just reeks of a chart that doesnt really mean shit because of the 'fine print' so to speak.

Add a bunch of asterisks at the bottom that reads

*Only takes into consideration phones that ship with 16GB because of 'reasons'
*SD storage doesn't count because of 'reasons'

Groof

It only takes into consideration 16gb phones because that's what they wanted to compare. SD card slots are mostly useless and moot in this point because they're comparing how much storage it has out of the box.

And hey guys, guess what, the 32gb HTC one has ~26gb out of the box. That's approx 6gb less than advertised. Exactly the same loss as the One mini in the comparison

What's the deal with the music bar in the notification screen? Sometimes its big enough to show the forward, back, and pause icons, and other times it will only show the forward and pause icons.

kehs

Banned
Thankyou. Umm... how would anyone know to do that? Is two finger swiping a common thing across applications?

Nope. They never did a good job of making the feature user facing. However, there are "priorities" for persistent notifications that automatically move them to the top and auto expand. That's why you sometimes see it expanded and sometimes not.

#androidpoweruserhour

Nope. They never did a good job of making the feature user facing. However, there are "priorities" for persistent notifications that automatically move them to the top and auto expand. That's why you sometimes see it expanded and sometimes not.

#androidpoweruserhour

Yes, I've surmised that the music app has to be the highest priority app for it to be expanded. Is there anyway for me ensure that it stays the highest priority app (I think its measured 1 - 5, right?)?

kehs

Banned
Yes, I've surmised that the music app has to be the highest priority app for it to be expanded. Is there anyway for me ensure that it stays the highest priority app (I think its measured 1 - 5, right?)?

I assume there's a solution if you're rooted, but I've never looked into it. Normally it's dependent on the OS.

Cipherr

Thankyou. Umm... how would anyone know to do that? Is two finger swiping a common thing across applications?

#androidpoweruserhour

Expanding the GMusic notification bar doesn't require two fingers. You can do it with one, just like Gmail and Text notifications.

It only takes into consideration 16gb phones because that's what they wanted to compare. SD card slots are mostly useless and moot in this point because they're comparing how much storage it has out of the box.

And hey guys, guess what, the 32gb HTC one has ~26gb out of the box. That's approx 6gb less than advertised. Exactly the same loss as the One mini in the comparison

it has 26gb out of the box, 11GB+ more than the next flagship mobile handset. leaving out the 1020 is a big joke too. they included a fucking blackberry.

3phemeral

I've found the single-finger slide doesn't work for any of my notifications unless the notification bar has reached its lowest scroll point. Otherwise, I have to use to two-finger method. If there's any room for the notification list to slide to the point where the one you want to expand scrolls out of view, it never works for me without two fingers.

kehs

Banned
I've found the single-finger slide doesn't work for any of my notifications unless the notification bar has reached its lowest scroll point. Otherwise, I have to use to two-finger method. If there's any room for the notification list to slide to the point where the one you want to expand scrolls out of view, it never works for me without two fingers.

Yea, same here.

Although it did actually work at one point during jellybean, If you single pressed + held halfway between a regular press and hold + release. After the kitkat update happened it stopped working like that.

XBP

it has 26gb out of the box, 11GB+ more than the next flagship mobile handset. leaving out the 1020 is a big joke too. they included a fucking blackberry.

But that isn't a comparison of the best flagships of each company with the highest storage available. Its a comparison of 16GB variants of the top tier phones of each company. If a company doesn't have a 16GB version of their phone then that device was not included in the chart. It doesn't matter if a company offers 32GB storage as the minimum because including that in this chart would ruin the comparison itself.

There is no conspiracy here. The only reason HTC one wasn't included in this chart is because it doesn't have a 16GB version. If a 16GB version of the One existed, it would have been included in the chart.

But that isn't a comparison of the best flagships of each company with the highest storage available. Its a comparison of 16GB variants of the top tier phones of each company. If a company doesn't have a 16GB version of their phone then that device was not included in the chart. It doesn't matter if a company offers 32GB storage as the minimum because including that in this chart would ruin the comparison itself.

There is no conspiracy here. The only reason HTC one wasn't included in this chart is because it doesn't have a 16GB version. If a 16GB version of the One existed, it would have been included in the chart.

the arbitrary 16GB rule *is* the conspiracy.

XBP

the arbitrary 16GB rule *is* the conspiracy.

Its a criteria chosen by the person who made this chart, its not a conspiracy. People who make comparisons have every right to choose a basic criteria on which each item included in the comparison is compared.

In this tutorial the criteria is this ' A mobile flagship with 16GB of storage space'. Anything that doesn't fall under this criteria is not included in the comparison. Every comparison between anything is made on specific factors e.g. A comparison of top GPUs under 400$.

If the comparison was of 'Mobile flagships with 32GB of storage space' then HTC one would be included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom