• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I'm late to the party on Dolphin. I finally got fed up with Firefox Nightlies and the regular builds weren't any better, but Dolphin is great. The scrolling is exactly how I like it, and the "scroll to top" button is great. And most importantly it doesn't completely fuck up text boxes like the one this post is written in.

Are there any well known camera replacements that don't completely fuck up on half the features? I got Focal from the XDA forums but that is unusable. It has to be free.

Have you experienced an issue where neogaf acts like it will load and then go to white screen? I'm trying to figure out the source of this problem. It doesn't happen on any other mobile browser. I'm on android 4.4.2. Very rarely can I get this site to actually load and not do the white screen, but it randomly works sometimes.

Possible S5 Antutu Benchmark

sammobile.com said:
Antutu-specs-G900R4.jpg

Antutu-score-G900r4.jpg

Scored lower than the Note 3 in 3d performance, most likely due to higher res screen putting more strain on the gpu. Also, this might just be a test model as the S5 was rumored to have the snapdragon 805 processor and not the 800.

thuway

Themer might be the coolest App I've used in a long time. It's just sad that they've taken it off the play store. The only thing I wish themer did is to include notification sounds per theme alongside wallpapers that you can download.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
Themer might be the coolest App I've used in a long time. It's just sad that they've taken it off the play store. The only thing I wish themer did is to include notification sounds per theme alongside wallpapers that you can download.

According to their twitter it was temporarily removed from the app store and will be back soon.

CronoShot

Possible S5 Antutu Benchmark

Scored lower than the Note 3 in 3d performance, most likely due to higher res screen putting more strain on the gpu. Also, this might just be a test model as the S5 was rumored to have the snapdragon 805 processor and not the 800.
I thought the 805 wasn't supposed to be in production until later this year.

I thought the 805 wasn't supposed to be in production until later this year.

Not sure, but the heavy rumor is the S5 will ship with it. According to Qualcomm in January, the first device with it is coming out in May. I don't know of anything else coming out in that time frame that would include it, but usually the Galaxy series comes out in March, so maybe they were able to get production ramped up faster than expected or the S5 might come out a little later than expected?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Speaking of Dolphin, the little button that appears to quickly go to the top of the page has disappeared for me. I don't know how to enable it again. Any ideas?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Are any of the voip apps actually usable as a replacement for minutes from your provider? I was looking at the $30 plan from Tmobile but 100 minutes wouldn't be enough for us.

Soodanim

Have you experienced an issue where neogaf acts like it will load and then go to white screen? I'm trying to figure out the source of this problem. It doesn't happen on any other mobile browser. I'm on android 4.4.2. Very rarely can I get this site to actually load and not do the white screen, but it randomly works sometimes.
Gaf's been fine for me so far, have you ruled out the possibility of the problem being your connection? I have had a problem on XDA's forum where clicking a link to a thread didn't do anything (not even highlight what I clicked) but there were a few factors in play so I'm not sure what it was. But when I stopped the page from loading and scrolled slightly it worked (it sure which thing helped).

Speaking of Dolphin, the little button that appears to quickly go to the top of the page has disappeared for me. I don't know how to enable it again. Any ideas?
To get the obvious first question out of the way: it doesn't appear when you scroll up?

Help me Android GAF

tl;dr: First time Android buyer, need to know which one is the best buy right now. Assume they all are the same price and that Google Play editions are unavailable.

Galaxy Note 3 (pleather ugh) / Galaxy S4 / HTC One / LG G2 / Xperia Z1

My guess would be the Note 3 but interested what GAF thinks...

Help me Android GAF

tl;dr: First time Android buyer, need to know which one is the best buy right now. Assume they all are the same price and that Google Play editions are unavailable.

Galaxy Note 3 (pleather ugh) / Galaxy S4 / HTC One / LG G2 / Xperia Z1

My guess would be the Note 3 but interested what GAF thinks...

Note 3 and the back feels good, try it!

the fake dtitching is a bit much though...

Will look into it, but really, Sony? U srs? I could do that on my old Galaxy S2 without installing any third party launchers :p

folders in the app launcher? more Samsung bloat...

Advice noted. Any others who want to draw a line in the sand?

(And I just tried a demo model. That pleather is so bad it's ridiculous. But the front sure is nice...)

Of those phones maybe the G2. But in all honesty with MWC just around the corner, I'd hold my horses unless I was absolutely desperate as most of those phones sequels are just about to be announced. Even if you do decide to go with one of them, the chances are they'll drop in price as you get nearer to the replacements being released.

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone else recommend a sub $40 bluetooth headset to use with a Galaxy Note 2 ?
I have had 2 plantronics m100's over the last few years and they both have suffered random disconnects from the phone on a regular basis. I will make a call and the phone will show the headset as disconnected as soon I hit dial. It will also disconnect randomly when I am not using the phone.
This has occurred with a Droid 2 Global, Droid Razr Maxx and Galaxy S4 (I test drove the S4 for a few days) and Galaxy Note 2 (current phone) across several different versions of android so I am leaning towards the bluetooth headset being the culprit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Advice noted. Any others who want to draw a line in the sand?

(And I just tried a demo model. That pleather is so bad it's ridiculous. But the front sure is nice...)

Nexus 5

If you are on a budget and have access a Moto G.

IMO with MWC in a couple of weeks I'd wait to see what's announced. You've waited this long. Might as well wait and get this years Sammy or HTC phone vs lasts.

Nexus 5

IMO with MWC in a couple of weeks I'd wait to see what's announced. You've waited this long. Might as well wait and get this years Sammy or HTC phone vs lasts.

Haven't seen a Nexus 5 yet but will keep an eye out. Can't wait for MWC unfortunately; this is a 1-week chance to get a phone at subsidized pricing. (Could even get the flex, too bad it's pointless)

Gaf's been fine for me so far, have you ruled out the possibility of the problem being your connection? I have had a problem on XDA's forum where clicking a link to a thread didn't do anything (not even highlight what I clicked) but there were a few factors in play so I'm not sure what it was. But when I stopped the page from loading and scrolled slightly it worked (it sure which thing helped).

Definitely not a connection problem. Other pages load fine. I did have an issue with XDA where it loads the page and then seemingly refreshes the page before you can click any links though. I think it's something on the page that's doing that. The problem with Neogaf mobile happens about 80% of the time I try to load it. Exiting the browser and reloading doesn't fix it either. It just randomly decides to load once in awhile though when I try. It sucks because Dolphin is the only browser that doesn't get my S4 hot and suck crazy amounts of battery.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there anything I can download to implement device-wide dictionary functionality like exists on the iPhone? The kind where you can highlight a word and pop up a definition without leaving the application you're in.

Nakazato

My girl got her note 3. I saw that she got 12 of bat life and still had 50 left I was jelly as fuck. Also go my nexus 7... holy shit such a big jump between that and my gs3

It does with my thin ones, have to press a bit harder but it works. Seems to be more sensitive than most normal capacitive screens. Not sure its like the Lumia ones though.

It's really a feature I've come to appreciate on my Lumia, even though I thought I'd never use it.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Anyone else's gmaps app acting up after the last update? It keeps on "unexpectedly" closing every couple of hours or so.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Yes, on various devices. I can't believe Google is letting it go for so long. But then again, I can believe it because it is Google.

Reporting it everytime I get the error, so I've been doing my part :p

I even checked the stack trace so I know exactly where in the code the app fails(seems to be trying to call a class that doesn't exist), not sure why it's taking Google so long to fix this, or even how it got through their QA process.

Slightly off-topic, but can anyone else recommend a sub $40 bluetooth headset to use with a Galaxy Note 2 ?
I have had 2 plantronics m100's over the last few years and they both have suffered random disconnects from the phone on a regular basis. I will make a call and the phone will show the headset as disconnected as soon I hit dial. It will also disconnect randomly when I am not using the phone.
This has occurred with a Droid 2 Global, Droid Razr Maxx and Galaxy S4 (I test drove the S4 for a few days) and Galaxy Note 2 (current phone) across several different versions of android so I am leaning towards the bluetooth headset being the culprit.

I picked up a Motorola BT headset at Costco, the Elite Flip. It works well with my computer and Note II.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
No problems using my Google products in Germany. American account. Activated a couple while in Germany, too.

This is a really strange problem to have. My gf bought her LG G2 here (Sweden) and it was in Portuguese (wtf?) when we unboxed it, but now she's running it with no issues in Korean, tied to a Korean Gmail account and credit card. Everything works as it should.

I wish you luck in solving your issue and if you ever do, please share.

Must be nice. Nothing works on the 10.1 2014 edition like it should.

ACnLaO9l.png

27BNZ24l.png

uayB2ePl.jpg

NGKg9lMl.jpg

BlazinAm

Is there a way to change the data partition size on a Android device in a relatively easy way? I am run the latest CM firmware right now on a galaxy s2 skyrocket. I figure this will why the internal memory but I am fine with that. The issue of storage on my phone had become such a big issue the gmail stopped pulling emails.

Soodanim

Definitely not a connection problem. Other pages load fine. I did have an issue with XDA where it loads the page and then seemingly refreshes the page before you can click any links though. I think it's something on the page that's doing that. The problem with Neogaf mobile happens about 80% of the time I try to load it. Exiting the browser and reloading doesn't fix it either. It just randomly decides to load once in awhile though when I try. It sucks because Dolphin is the only browser that doesn't get my S4 hot and suck crazy amounts of battery.

I still haven't had that problem. I have had other problems though, and they relate to links. Sometimes I can't click a link without scrolling slightly (I may have mentioned this before). And this morning I accidentally clicked an advert on Gaf. I went back and clicked what I meant to click on, and it went to the ad page again. And again. Then I refreshed and clicked the link again, and it worked.

Android browsers seem to be plagued with problems, definitely more than desktop browsers.

Is there a way to change the data partition size on a Android device in a relatively easy way? I am run the latest CM firmware right now on a galaxy s2 skyrocket. I figure this will why the internal memory but I am fine with that. The issue of storage on my phone had become such a big issue the gmail stopped pulling emails.

nope. not easy.

WanderingWind

where do you live

Well, Germany at the moment. It was bought from an American store, attached to an American account and card. I know it has to be pulling info from the Wi-Fi, but none of my other devices do this. My iOS store is just the same. I set my location and it's now in English and showing the American store. Same with Steam, etc, etc.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, Germany at the moment. It was bought from an American store, attached to an American account and card. I know it has to be pulling info from the Wi-Fi, but none of my other devices do this. My iOS store is just the same. I set my location and it's now in English and showing the American store. Same with Steam, etc, etc.

Try Google.com/NCR and see how it goes.

WanderingWind

Try Google.com/NCR and see how it goes.

I can do this for the browser, but it doesn't do anything for the store. It looks like I'm sort of fucked.

Google said:
Google detects the wrong location for me

It isn't possible to change the location that Google detects for you. To see results near another location, add the name of the location to your search. For example, search pizza naples to find pizza restaurants near Naples.

But then, you guys said it works for you. So...I don't know. I can't imagine Google is so myopic that they instituted a system that changes languages based on travel. I mean, I travel to Japan, suddenly I am fluent in Japanese? Etc.

Milly79

Is it worth it to upgrade from the One to the z1s? I'm sick of the ones battery life, and the Xperia would complement my other Sony products. Any chance the Z2 comes to t-mobile?

daoster

Rumor: Google To Begin Forcing OEMs To Certify Android Devices With A Recent OS Version If They Want Google Apps

Via Android Police:

Every so often, something shows up in the Android Police tip box that seems just a little too wild to be true. Such was the case with the information that led us to publish this story. After all, if someone simply claimed that Google was forcing device OEMs to use up-to-date software in order to get access to Google Mobile Services, you'd probably find such an allegation dubious at best. Even if they included moderately convincing evidence that this was the case.

And that's why, for the last 2 weeks, we sat on this piece, waiting and wondering if we could get more sources to confirm its legitimacy. Today, we feel confident in asserting that - while there is still some small possibility our evidence may not be authentic - Google will be forcing manufacturers to run a specified API level (and the corresponding OS version) or above if they want their hardware to ship with Google Mobile Services, aka Google Apps.

Hmmmmm

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Very interesting article and it sort of ties in with the deal Google with Samsung over licensing and rumoured UI design for their future products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom