• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We just had the article about how aosp doesn't include Google apps for good reason. I can accept that. Now there's this news. It's just another way of Google strong arming its way into everything. Shitty company. They should have just been honest about Android from the start. Then we'd have webOS and who knows what else.

Everyone will believe this news is good for consumers. But that's short term thinking. This move is just another step in their long play of getting more control.

We just had the article about how aosp doesn't include Google apps for good reason. I can accept that. Now there's this news. It's just another way of Google strong arming its way into everything. Shitty company. They should have just been honest about Android from the start. Then we'd have webOS and who knows what else.

Everyone will believe this news is good for consumers. But that's short term thinking. It's a long play toward getting more control.

the source is right there.

Amazon, Nokia (allegedly) and a dozen Chinese companies seem to be getting by without GMS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OEMs can still ship 4.2 until April 24.
2Z6bvmg.png

Nicktendo86

Everyone will believe this news is good for consumers. But that's short term thinking. This move is just another step in their long play of getting more control.
I don't get it, they are forcing OEMS to use a newer version of android when they release a phone. New flagships are usually current or an api version behind so this won't affect them, it will mainly affect low specced devices. Trying to crack down on fragmentation, what's wrong with that?

I don't get it, they are forcing OEMS to use a newer version of android when they release a phone. New flagships are usually current or an api version behind so this won't affect them, it will mainly affect low specced devices. Trying to crack down on fragmentation, what's wrong with that?

think of the poor OEMs pushing low end phones with 4.1 on them!

Firehead

So, I'm looking to replace my broken Xperia Play. I'm looking for a phone that works great for emulation and has a great camera. I tried one of the phones at the windows store the other day and noticed it had the ability to control the shutter speed.
Would the Nexus 5 work for all that, or is there something that might be better?

Cipherr

I don't know, but I have seen the sentiment around lately. The more inline they have worked to get GPS, the more some people rail against it in its entirety.

I cannot pin it down but I reckon that the draw for a lot of people for the OS was heavily seated in it being 'the most open source OS' for phones. Sort of like an imaginary badge of honor or something. It holds little to no value to me though.

• Phones shouldn't be shipping outdated OS versions, fixing that is a good thing IMO.
  • Games and apps released should run on the majority of devices used to access the store, anything that helps that is a good thing IMO.
  • First party services that I rely on for personal and business use (email, cloud storage etc) shouldn't be hamstrung and linked to large updates. Those updates should bypass my carrier and hit my device directly. If separating the Launcher, search, browser and other apps from the core of the OS does that, then its a good thing IMO.

I don't understand the beef at all. Unless I'm missing the quote where someone from Google stated that GPS and all of their first party applications would be open source on Android. But last I checked they were closed from the start. /shrug.

think of the poor OEMs pushing low end phones with 4.1 on them!

Seriously though... Enforcing policies that ensure the end user gets updates operating systems seems like a real plus to me. I still very clearly remember the cries of "Google is losing control of Android lolololo" and now as time passes things get more streamlined and improved overall, and now its "Oh noes Google has control of Android". This is jokes man.

Seriously though... Enforcing policies that ensure the end user gets updates operating systems seems like a real plus to me. I still very clearly remember the cries of "Google is losing control of Android lolololo" and now as time passes things get more streamlined and improved overall, and now its "Oh noes Google has control of Android". This is jokes man.

oh boy the tide sure changed on that one.

jokkir

Kinda bummed that Haxsync doesn't work anymore because of the developer getting a job at Facebook.

What's a good alternative?

vivftp

Is it worth it to upgrade from the One to the z1s? I'm sick of the ones battery life, and the Xperia would complement my other Sony products. Any chance the Z2 comes to t-mobile?

Hearing some good things about the upcoming flagship phone... whatever it'll be called. According to a member on another forum I visit, he got to play with a prototype and the stereo front facing speakers are, in his opinion better than the speakers on the HTC One.

The camera processing on the new phone also seems to be better based on leaked photos on XDA Forum. Combine that with the even larger battery of 3,300 mAh and presumably the superior screen compared to the Z1/Z1S since it's supposed to be IPS, and it looks like they're gonna have quite the amazing device.

Talon

Hearing some good things about the upcoming flagship phone... whatever it'll be called. According to a member on another forum I visit, he got to play with a prototype and the stereo front facing speakers are, in his opinion better than the speakers on the HTC One.

The camera processing on the new phone also seems to be better based on leaked photos on XDA Forum. Combine that with the even larger battery of 3,300 mAh and presumably the superior screen compared to the Z1/Z1S since it's supposed to be IPS, and it looks like they're gonna have quite the amazing device.
Mind sharing the links to the camera shots, my friend?

vivftp

Mind sharing the links to the camera shots, my friend?

Courtesy of iRimas on XDA Forums who apparently has a prototype unit:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49790761&postcount=455

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49787955&postcount=449

The new phone seems to have better white balance and provides overall sharper images. Of course it's worth noting this device isn't running final software, but it's already producing better results than the final software on the Z1

Talon

Courtesy of iRimas on XDA Forums who apparently has a prototype unit:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49790761&postcount=455

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=49787955&postcount=449

The new phone seems to have better white balance and provides overall sharper images. Of course it's worth noting this device isn't running final software, but it's already producing better results than the final software on the Z1
Thanks.

Why do these guys that get early access to phones always look like they live on the set of Saw VI?

this_guy

You seem to really hate Google.

thespot84

why would google want more control? does control == money?

Milly79

Well, I went ahead and did it. As of now, I regret doing it. 50/50 right now if I keep it past 14 days.

Milly79

The difference is the price. The Z1s is $528 ($22/m) the D6506 is going to be at least $696 ($29/m). Take that into account before returning what you have.

The price wouldn't be an issue. Plus is it even confirmed for t-mobile? Btw, it's $12 a month for me. I don't think the Z2 would be that huge of a difference, I would more than likely wait for the new HTC. But, who knows. I need more time with it before I make a decision.

The price wouldn't be an issue. Plus is it even confirmed for t-mobile? Btw, it's $12 a month for me. I don't think the Z2 would be that huge of a difference, I would more than likely wait for the new HTC. But, who knows. I need more time with it before I make a decision.
It will be on T-Mob. Not sure about the timeframe. Could be as late as June. If you have got the Z1s that cheap then keep it and sell it on craigslist when the Z2 comes out. Best of both worlds that way.

Nicktendo86

Looks very metro, not sure if I like. Wonder if we will see the fruits of google putting pressure on them to not mess too much with the ui?

Talon

Looks very metro, not sure if I like. Wonder if we will see the fruits of google putting pressure on them to not mess too much with the ui?
That was too recent to affect this, you've gotta think. I wouldn't expect to see the fruits of that agreement until summer at the earliest.

Talon

Sidebar: I was actually surprised they kept the S4 name in Korea. Even Hyundai dropped numbering the Sonata after III to avoid that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, another question about the Z1 Compact. When I use my Motörheadphones I can make calls and hear the recipient just fine, but they won't hear me. Is it the noise reduction function messing up here, or is it the phone that somehow disables the built-in microphone because it assumes the headset has a mic?

Thanks to those who made recs. Just picked up an unlocked Note 3 LTE. Android is...pretty different than iOS. At least with Samsung's modifications anyway. Should be interesting.

terrier

BgM3tjwIQAAVXJz.png:large

was this posted before?

It kinda surprised me that z1 is not that bad as it seems and even iphones have more bezel compared to screen size

Tommy DJ

The Xperia Z1 only looks like it has excessively large bezels because they're bezels with nothing on them, which is actually a bad thing still. Compared to the HTC One, Apple or Samsung smartphone, the empty space is much more noticeable.

terrier

The Xperia Z1 only looks like it has excessively large bezels because they're bezels with nothing on them, which is actually a bad thing still. Compared to the HTC One, Apple or Samsung smartphone, the empty space is much more noticeable.

so true. I think on screen buttons>>> hw buttons, but z1 would have been a better looking phone if it had had capacitive buttons like LG optimus G for example.

btw, i really wish google allowed to disable the search bar on top of nexus stock launcher, it is annoying if i want to put a clock widget and have a photo as background it just makes no sense since i cannot see shit.

edit:

I may have the chance to get a new 'spare' phone Z1 G2 S4(snapdragon 800)?? which one should i choose. I dislike z1 bezel but camera seems to be the best of the bunch plus waterproof is a great feature for summer pictures with my daughters at the beach. It wouldn't be my primary phone though, i really love my n5 and won't change it anytime soon.

No brand logo at the front of the phone!? What sorcery is this!?

If HTC is going to be the 3rd major OEM to do this, I'm giving them major props. Phones should never have any branding on the front of the device. Apple realises this. Google Nexus realises this.

Other should to, instead of being so insecure of their own product identity that they need to blazen their logo upfront.

Now, all that's left is for OEMs who adopt the on-screen buttons to stop screwing around with the design and just adopt the standard Google navigation keys design. They're beautiful as they are, redesigned nav buttons mostly suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom