• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's not my fault you're wasting precious screen space with a browser in full screen. Make it half as wide and the picture will get smaller. It's not my fault that you don't know how to use a browser. 16:9 sucks for the web, which is why 4:3 makes the iPad the better tablet, compared to the competition.
Yup. Down with 16:9! Awful, awful for tablets, unless you mainly use it for videos. But for me, I use my tablet for 90% web content. Give me my 4:3 Nexus tablet. And it'll actually be usable in portrait.

It's not my fault you're wasting precious screen space with a browser in full screen. Make it half as wide and the picture will get smaller. It's not my fault that you don't know how to use a browser. 16:9 sucks for the web, which is why 4:3 makes the iPad the better tablet, compared to the competition.
I love overreactions like this, never fail to crack me up! FYI: Neogaf doesn't perfectly resize images as large as that one with browser width, so I don't get see where the personal attack about how they don't know how to use a browser is coming from.

Not complaining myself, mind you, but this is an android thread where most of the devices ARE 16:9.

The problem is that the GAF forum software only resizes images horizontally, not vertically. As long as it's not too wide for your window, it won't be resized. This makes sense in the context of your average PC or TV display which is always in landscape orientation. Only phones really have portrait as an equally common display orientation so no one would be surprised that typical forum software wouldn't anticipate the need to scale vertically as well as horizontally. You can imagine the problem here when someone posts but doesn't bother to quote a 1080x1920 image. If it was 1920x1080 it would have been resized to window width. Instead it's fucking huge and fucking tall and the GAF forum software gives no fucks unless you quote it. So maybe it would be courteous to your fellow posters if you fucking quoted it.

Halcyon

Complete and utter bullwank. HTC don't even make tablets. An anonymous rumour leaked to a Taiwanese trade rag means nothing.

Google's partnership with Asus has been highly productive, and they have extended it to their new Chromebox videoconferencing hardware. I don't see how anyone other than Asus can be in the running for the next Nexus tablet.

Plus the fact that they knocked the 2013 out of the park.

Xeno_V

Can someone please tell me what's the situation with Google's Nexus 5 camera? Was there a patch that fixes various issues that were there from day 1? If yes then does this really improve things? I don't expect anything top-tier but if it's above decent then it could do.

gcubed

Can someone please tell me what's the situation with Google's Nexus 5 camera? Was there a patch that fixes various issues that were there from day 1? If yes then does this really improve things? I don't expect anything top-tier but if it's above decent then it could do.

There was and IMO its obviously not top tier but it's easily above decent.

Xeno_V

Thanks but actually the question that I should had asked in the first place is whether this improves things a lot compared to the pre-patch performance of the camera.

Nakazato

Android gaf

My gf is giving me her gs4. I need some help tho her gs4 is tmoblie and I'm on att anyone know how to unlock the phone and would the phone still work as good tho its not on tmob

PriitV

there's no navigation to the most recently read post in subscribed threads. inferior.

WoI51iY.png
yes there is :)

SUPREME1

Banned
Complete and utter bullwank. HTC don't even make tablets. An anonymous rumour leaked to a Taiwanese trade rag means nothing.

Google's partnership with Asus has been highly productive, and they have extended it to their new Chromebox videoconferencing hardware. I don't see how anyone other than Asus can be in the running for the next Nexus tablet.

I think HTC made an android tablet early on called the Flyer or some such. I remember it was for one of the wireless carriers.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I don't know if you guys use GetJar but I had it on my phone for a while. My battery life was shitty the last couple of months. I decided to check the battery stats and found that GetJar was eating 10% of my battery life. I haven't used that app in a year. Uninstalled it and I'm getting battery life.

There's an issue with the mobile gaf site on Dolphin browser. It seems to not want to load the site randomly for some reason. It will act like it loaded, but then just show a white page.

Are you not able to use store credit towards the purchase of apps and pay the balance off with your card?

I want to buy a $3.99 app, I have $3.75 in credit but it says it's not sufficient and I'm only able to select my card as a payment option.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just jumped ship from Verizon today and signed up for T-Mobile. Picked up an Xperia ZS1 and gave my iPhone 5S that came unlocked from Verizon to my wife, who was using a 4S.

I haven't been on Android since the original Droid and I feel like I almost need some kind of primer because so much has changed.

I'm sure I'll be in here with a ton of questions in the following days and weeks, but for now, I'm interesting in knowing this:

Is there a place I can download stock Android apps? It looks like the Xperia Z1S comes with many of them, but I want to be sure I'm not missing any of them.

One more thing, does anyone know of a good MicroUSB to car cassette tape deck adapter that can let me run my music and podcasts to my car's speakers? Not sure if this functionality even exists.

sarcastor

So i'm looking to upgrade my Moto G to the Xperia Z. I'm really interested in getting something waterproof, plus I can throw in a 64gb card, and it looks way classier than a Nexus 5 :)

It's only $400 versus $580 for the Z1 - spending $600 on a phone is just a bit too much for me. I'm on the $30 Tmobile plan btw.

catmincer

Thanks!

Damn, Play Music was the stock app. It kind of sucks, as does the Sony Walkman app.

Any good music app suggestions from you folks?

Actually, the Walkman app is good. Play music on the other hand is shit.

Are there any features you think are missing from it in particular?

Husker86

Are you not able to use store credit towards the purchase of apps and pay the balance off with your card?

I want to buy a $3.99 app, I have $3.75 in credit but it says it's not sufficient and I'm only able to select my card as a payment option.
You have to be able to cover the full amount with your Play Store credit...it's kinda ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, the Walkman app is good. Play music on the other hand is shit.

Are there any features you think are missing from it in particular?

Mainly, I'd be happy with on-screen volume control and zero advertising in the app.

MarkusRJR

That HTC UI is disgusting.

I saw a BLU phone today. First time everrrrr.
Legitimately curious about BLU phones. The BLU Life Pure legitimately has my favorite design of any smartphone over the past few years. It looks like a Nexus 5 crossed with an iPhone 5. I heard it's not the best hardware, but fuck it looks so good.

Reminds me of the simplicity those JP flip phones have. Sharp edges, solid colors, and lots of minimalism. Are there any similar phones in terms of design that actually have decent hardware/software?

Groof

I just dislike the player widget for it, but other than that I think it's just fine. No issues.

Hating on the widget is one thing, but the actual app? You got to be real crazy to be saying stuff like that. Much like Cipherr I dropped every other music player apps (even ones I paid for) once the Play Music update hit. Not only is it good, it looks great doing it.

Two companies joined the "who actually makes money from mobile phones other than Samsung and Apple?"

LG posted a profit in their mobiles division.

At the conference call Sony's CFO Masaru Kato said that the smartphones division within MP&C (Vaio and Xperia) has made an operating profit every quarter this year. Hopefully with the sale of Vaio being concluded by March the annual report will have a breakdown within MP&C of operating profits. My estimate is that SMC have made an operating profit ca. $250m for the first nine months of the year, and the target for the full year is $400m.

Wait, how is Play Music shit?

I need whatever y'all are smoking to come up with that

I just discovered Xbox Music yesterday and I can stream whatever I want on desktop.

I can't cache particular songs on my device without creating a playlist - Spotify does this as well, why people why?

Gets its ass confused when my internet connection is spotty ie just refuses to continue play back of that song if I come back online, I have to go to another song and then come back

Minor Quibble - Music catalogue could be better

Zeppu

It's not shit but there are a few things which are really annoying and could so easily be fixed. For example going the the queue should be much easier. I know it's only a gesture and a tap but you have to wait for the animation to complete, etc. It's no big deal but the 'main' screen you get when you drag the bottom panel up (the one with the album art and the like/dislike buttons) has no reason to exist. It should just take you to the queue. Not to mention that that activity loses the ability to pull out the navigation drawer which is idiotic. Does anyone really swipe left/right to change tracks rather than press the Prev/Next button just below it?

Another thing which bugs me is that it doesn't display what you've been listening on the desktop in the listen now screen, and vice versa. Sometimes I listen to an album at work, and decide to listen to it later in the car. It should be waiting for me in the listen screen.

I also dislike how the playlists and queue are completely disjointed. I have a tendency to listen to much more music on the desktop and then I add them to a 'Mobile Playlist' for music when I'm driving. However when I start playing the playlist on the phone it transfers that to a queue which means that stuff added to the playlist want get appended to the queue.

Finally, backstack is completely fucked in the app. Not having a properly maintained backstack happens in a lot of apps but I don't expect it to come out on Google's own apps.

The widget could be much better and an option to autoplay when headphones are inserted would be nice.

Overall it's not terrible, but I really expect it to be better.

Soodanim

Oh man, I'm late to the party on Dolphin. I finally got fed up with Firefox Nightlies and the regular builds weren't any better, but Dolphin is great. The scrolling is exactly how I like it, and the "scroll to top" button is great. And most importantly it doesn't completely fuck up text boxes like the one this post is written in.

Are there any well known camera replacements that don't completely fuck up on half the features? I got Focal from the XDA forums but that is unusable. It has to be free.

Groof

The one thing that annoys me the most about the Play Music app is that you can't add a song to the queue and have it be the next song. It's always added at some arbitrary point later on in the queue and you have to manually drag it to be the next in line.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I am about to chuck my new tablet into the bin. The thing is still in German even though it's tied to an American account, with an American card and all languages set to English. None of the thread on the Android forums have a solution that works. It is so incredibly frustrating. My iPhone and iPad (that I dropped on the floor) seem just fine. Something about the way Google handles its accounts is completely fucked up. I really want to like this thing because the pen is super sexy, but not being able to read a damn thing in the store is making it one of the most expensive mistakes I've made.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I am about to chuck my new tablet into the bin. The thing is still in German even though it's tied to an American account, with an American card and all languages set to English. None of the thread on the Android forums have a solution that works. It is so incredibly frustrating. My iPhone and iPad (that I dropped on the floor) seem just fine. Something about the way Google handles its accounts is completely fucked up. I really want to like this thing because the pen is super sexy, but not being able to read a damn thing in the store is making it one of the most expensive mistakes I've made.

No problems using my Google products in Germany. American account. Activated a couple while in Germany, too.

Groof

This is a really strange problem to have. My gf bought her LG G2 here (Sweden) and it was in Portuguese (wtf?) when we unboxed it, but now she's running it with no issues in Korean, tied to a Korean Gmail account and credit card. Everything works as it should.

I wish you luck in solving your issue and if you ever do, please share.

thespot84

play music's web player has issues however I still like it better than spotify mostly because the mobile experience is so much better.

I used gmusic on windows 8 for desktop play a few times, but it seemed kinda hacked together, anyone else use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom