• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
HTC announcing all sorts of shit today.

First up Android Central

New HTC America initiative promises free screen replacement, software updates for two years, free storage for HTC One series phones in the U.S.

Amid decreasing sales and continued financial worries, HTC America this morning announced HTC Advantage, a program that swaps out broken screens, and commits to keeping the software on its current line of HTC One smartphones (including the HTC One Mini and One Max) up to date.

The promises are twofold, and simple:

If you crack your display in the first six months you own the phone, HTC will fix it for free.
HTC will provide timely updates for two years from the date the phone launches, both for major revisions of Android as well as improvements to its own Sense software.
In addition, HTC is giving either 25 or 50 gigabytes of free storage with Google Drive for two years.

2ndly

htc-invite-mar25.jpg

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I also hate announcements of announcements. As for the program, that's pretty cool. Cheap for HTC but has good value for customers.

Samsung Confirms KitKat for U.S. Smartphones and Tablets

DALLAS, TX – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announced today that a number of Samsung Galaxy® devices will receive the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) software update, enriching the Galaxy experience.

The upgrade provides a number of innovative, easy-to-use features that enhance the user experience, including a more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updated applications:

Location Menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously checking the battery usage of apps running location service capabilities.

Enhanced Messaging: Enables users to choose between Messages or Hangouts as their preferred default messaging application, and select from a larger assortment of updated Emoji icons.

Upgraded Google Mobile Service™ (GMS) apps: Users can automatically back up photos and video and can open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.

Samsung Galaxy U.S. devices currently scheduled to receive the KitKat update include select carrier variants of the Galaxy Note® 3, Galaxy Note® II, Galaxy S® 4, Galaxy S® 4 mini™, Galaxy S® 4 Active™, Galaxy S® 4 zoom™, Galaxy S® III, Galaxy S® III mini™, Galaxy Mega®, Galaxy Light, Galaxy Note® 8.0, Galaxy Tab® 3, Galaxy Note® 10.1, Galaxy Note® 10.1 2014 Edition.

Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months.

solid but not spectacular.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'll never understand companies that announce press events a month+ before the date. It's like HTC does not understand the news cycle or how to build hype.

They don't though. It's more they send out the press invites to people who are legit enough to get one to let them know of their press event.

Then the press announce they got an invite as why not it's new news and that's what they do.

I get why it annoys people though.

Husker86

And everyone will give it a legit chance, then turn it off after 3 months just like touch ID because it fails to work far to often.

Fuck that tech until they can get it consistent.

I can count the number of times TouchID has failed me on my two hands, and from what I can remember it was always when my finger was wet. Nexus 5 is my main phone, but I've used my 5s quite a bit since launch.

Just reading the thread on GAF I know there are people who have trouble with it, but all I can think of is that they aren't doing the calibration like you should (change angle of finger constantly).

NH Apache

Banned
I have very little faith that the update for my VZW Note II will be worth it. My hate for TouchWiz is dwarfed only by my love for CyanogenMod. Unless they do something awesome, I'll likely stick with the CM11 Nightlies.

As someone with a note 2 as well, how is the stylus support for Cyanogen?

I can count the number of times TouchID has failed me on my two hands, and from what I can remember it was always when my finger was wet. Nexus 5 is my main phone, but I've used my 5s quite a bit since launch.

Just reading the thread on GAF I know there are people who have trouble with it, but all I can think of is that they aren't doing the calibration like you should (change angle of finger constantly).

so would you say that they're ... doing it wrong?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
...it's a case guys

The phone will look like that on the front.

Also, evleaks says the new name is "the all new HTC One"

C'mon HTC

MattDoza

Yeah but they're usually not that pronounced. Oftentimes they're as hidden as can be, especially on black devices.

They were basically exactly that on the original (I guess this is going to have to be a thing now too, lol) One, just side by side and not stacked, and to the left of the speaker grill.

Its been awhile...

Here's what phone I've had and what I think about them.

HTC One AT&T 64 GB Kit Kat ADHD 5.1

UI: Sense 5.5 is light, clean, aesthetically pleasing
Hardware: IMO best looking android device.
Screen: Top Tier screen, best screen on a mobile device.
Performance: S600 smooth overall, no lag at all.
Sound: Top tier in soud & loudness. You will be spoiled.
Reception: no complain
Battery Life: Kit Kat makes battery life decent. Will last you the day with medium/heavy usage with no problem
Camera: OK camera, not the best daylight pictures but pretty good low light. Wide angle front camera is great.]
Development and Roms: Easy to unlock bootloader, root and plenty of support.

Xperia Z1 C6906 Jelly bean 4.3 (I had 2 of these)

UI: Xperia UI pretty decent. Kinda stockish but not. Looks good. 1 major complain is that it doesn't have a different browser!!! I never liked Chrome...
Hardware: Looks badass. Feels nice in the hand. Anti shatter film on the back and front is not great. Its a huge device.
Screen: Umm....screen looks good only if you don't compare it to other phones. viewing angle is not good but its not too bad as what people make it out to be. Both my device is a C6906 which "suppose" to have a better panel. I want to say its decent because I spend money on it....but in reality...it sucks!
Performance: S800 is a beast.
Sound: Good
Reception: Hmmm....not as good as the HTC and LG
Battery: Last me more than a day
Camera: Good camera but overrated. for 20mega pixel its pretty disappointing. This is with the .290 firmware which suppose to improve it. The front camera sucks!
Development and Roms: FU!! SONY!! very few developer support. U won't have much to thinker with

LG G2 Jelly bean 4.2.2 D800 AT&T
UI: Optimus UI, its touchwhiz!! but looks a lil better...barely. its like stock and touchwiz made a baby.
Hardware: It took no time for me to get adjusted with the back buttons. Phone is lighter than it looks. Hardly any bezel is awesome. Feels like a galaxy S4.
Screen: Top tier screen as good as the SLCD3. Best screen along with the SLCD3, S4 Screen and the retinas.
Performance: S800 is a beast very snappy. I cant tell which one is faster between the Z1 and G2.
Sound: Good
Reception: no complain
Battery: BEAST!!! of a battery. I wish all android phones last this long
Camera: BEAST!!!! Wow best android camera! taking picture with the back button felt more comfortable than the the xperias dedicated camera button. both front and back is good.
Development and Roms: decent ..its moving quiet well. Semi bricked it because it did an OTA while rooted. Lucky it was an easy fix.

All excellent phones.
As much as HTC gets shitted on this thread, the HTC One actually hold up pretty well and Its still the best android phone I've ever owned. It had Kit Kat fairly quickly and got alot of support from developers...unlocking bootloader and S-off is a breeze. If it ditched the whole ultrapixel BS and just do a more traditional camera, the M8 would be the phone to beat. The LG G2 does everything right but the UI, its not bad its just all over the place. The Xperia Z1 is disappointing, I was so hype about it cause on paper its a beast. If only it had the a better screen and better camera firmware. Z2 please please have a decent screen!!

MarkusRJR

What is the best $100-$200 tablet on the market? Cheaper being better.

I'm looking for a super cheap tablet to bring with me to school to read the PowerPoint files along with the class and browse the web. I was thinking of the newly released Galaxy Tab 3 lite but I hear touchwiz is a hot mess.

I'm looking for a super cheap tablet to bring with me to school to read the PowerPoint files along with the class and browse the web. I was thinking of the newly released Galaxy Tab 3 lite but I hear touchwiz is a hot mess.

Nexus 7?

Wait, are US providers still shipping 4.2 on current gen phones? My Note 3 has 4.4.2; maybe SE Asia upgraded first?

Yeah, that would be the Nexus 7. Best value for the price.

Yep. The Galaxy Tab is definitely cheaper but the Nexus 7 (2013) is what you should aim for if possible. 1080p screen, good build.

around $100? Hisense Sero 7 Pro

around $200? Nexus 7 (2013)

Sheeeit.

Downloaded the 'volume booster' app so I could try to make stuff a little louder, and not only did it not seem to do anything it has also seemed to fuck up my Pocket Casts app. Now when I unplug my headphones while using pocket casts, it doesn't stop the podcast and for some reason the pause button doesn't work either.

Bleh! Maybe its my pocket casts app thats fucked up? I didn't change anything there though.

Edit: redownloading pocket casts seems to have fixed it, but it didn't save any of my podcasts for some reason, so I need to resub to everything. Haha.

yogloo

I wish we can have some exciting advancement in mobile tech soon. It's so boring now. The same thing over and over again. A bit faster. A little bit more dpi. We need a leap like the iphone 4 again.

Talon

I don't fucking see the point of the rumored resolution on the S5. That's far beyond what people can perceive, and it's just an unnecessary battery drain.

Also, lol power button still on the top left.

yogloo

I don't fucking see the point of the rumored resolution on the S5. That's far beyond what people can perceive, and it's just an unnecessary battery drain.

It is really good for affordable VR development though. On one hand I wish they would stop at 1080 for awhile so battery life can improve. On the other hand I wish they can add more dpi so we can have our cheap VR ASAP.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wish we can have some exciting advancement in mobile tech soon. It's so boring now. The same thing over and over again. A bit faster. A little bit more dpi. We need a leap like the iphone 4 again.
Agreed. Phone hardware is boring.

Maybe. 720P to 1080P is noticeably better. I'll wait and see. Pretty crazy how 27" iMac resolution is now packed into a phone. Amazing.

External Blues: Google Has Brought Big Changes To SD Cards In KitKat, And Even Samsung Is Implementing Them

In recent years, Google hasn’t exactly been known as particularly hospitable toward SD cards with regard to its Android operating system. This theme is most often associated with the Nexus line of devices - the Nexus One was the only such handset to ever offer expandable storage. But despite arguments from Dan Morrill and Matias Duarte suggesting this stance is about keeping the Android interface simple and file picker-free, people still want more space. Google is apparently firming up its position on expandable storage even further, though, and in a way that limits flexibility and changes how we can use it.

long. interesting.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Google just killed off Currents for good. Somehow the latest Play Store update made it link to Newstand automatically and remove it from your app drawer and device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom