• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
I still really like my HTC One. I still think it's one of the best phones money can buy and it still never lags with excellent performance. Yet, I'm probably going to be still tempted to upgrade if the S5 ends up being an upgrade in every area over the S4 especially in software (because it would pretty much cost me nothing to upgrade due to T-Mobile + Swappa.com + Expensing cellphone bill. The big turnoff for me is the 5.25 screen size. 4.7-5.0 is fine, but that size should make up the majority of the phone for me to be alright with it. After playing around with the Moto X a few times, I think the screen size is nearly perfect and very is use with one handed use.

Is it me or have there been very few leaks about what updates are coming this year, the only phone I have some concrete info on is the new HTC One. Even then no one is sure about specifics.

tzare

Guys, which one would be the better cpu, snapdragon 400 quad, like in moto g, or snapdragon s4 quad like the one on Nexus 4?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
so you're saying i should wait before buying an android phone?

Unless you are getting something of contract like the Nexus 5, Moto X or Moto G yes wait.

Even if you aren't getting the latest phone all of last years phone will drop in price again after this years models hit. We know Sony, HTC, Sammy, LG ect... all have new stuff dropping soon.

Fatalah

I know this is a complete and absolute shot in the dark, but...

I just dropped my S4. Screen is shit. won't work at all. just colors. No warranty on it.

I have about 800 dollars in shit to pay that I don't have at all right now. I'm broke and can't even pay this shit.

Does anyone have an old (I really don't care how old either) Android phone that they aren't using here? I have absolutely no money to buy one right now because of medical bills, school bills, books for school, etc. I'm on sprint, so I'd imagine a GSM one wouldn't work.

I'd ask in the Android GAF hangout, but... No phone. So yeah.

Fuck.

Edit: I'd be willing to trade a Mario and Luigi 3DS XL with Pokemon Y for a sprint/unlocked android phone as well if that would sweeten it for anyone.

There's an Android GAF Hangout?!

Vanillalite

There's an Android GAF Hangout?!

Yes and I am the keeper of keys and grounds of Android GAF Hangout edition.

hagrid.jpg

terrier

Never really understood complains about smartphones' materials, really. I mean, not that it is not important, but most people use cases so what is the point on having glass or alluminium if it is hidden behind a shell?¿

pd. yes i am looking at you iphone users .P

terrier

Smartphone should all be made of tpu....

well, not that i think materials are irrelevant but i'd say 95% of phones i see use cases, so i find a bit of nonsense all this plastic vs alluminium vs glass discussion. I mean, i will never see the back of my nexus 5, which is awesome btw being plastic, because i use a case. ANd imo this is the most common thing smartphone+case

PriitV

'most' people is kind of a leap, don't you think? Over here (estonia) where apple phones are not as common, I rarely see people use any kind of cases on their Android or Lumia phones at all.

Groof

When viewed in person, the Z2 does indeed have a very attractive display, with good contrast and color fidelity, immediately distinguishing it from the mediocre screen of the Z1. At 5.2 inches, the Xperia Z2 also gives you slightly more real estate, though the resolution remains unchanged at 1920 x 1080. The battery, RAM, and processor have all been upgraded as well: the new flagship comes with 3200mAh of power, 3GB of memory, and a quad-core 2.3GHz Snapdragon 801. Aside from a new set of stereo speakers, the external look of the Xperia Z2 is pretty much unchanged, including an all-glass front and back, IP58-certified waterproofing, and a dedicated camera key.

The Verge

terrier

'most' people is kind of a leap, don't you think? Over here (estonia) where apple phones are not as common, I rarely see people use any kind of cases on their Android or Lumia phones at all.

well, i obviously talk for my personal experience, and considering people in forums keep asking for shells cases and screen protectors i guess it is a common thing. I may be wrong of course :p

btw, i wonder how will this nokia X/XL will do with only 512/768 MB of ram :/

Btw, the z2 looks way nicer than z1, and front speakers too :)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
scaling back? or skinning to look stock-ish like Motorola? because the former would suck, but the latter would be great!

Yeah, less skinning is what I meant. I wouldn't want them to scale back their software additions either, for the most part.

edit: just saw the leaks. Phone still looks cheap and shitty, UI still looks like garbage. With the reveal of the z2 and lg pro 2, and the One leaks we've seen, looks like this will be a replay of last year. Save us Apple and Nokia!

terrier

looks like samsung's version of z1, big bezels on a 5 inch device. IP57 certification, but that is worse than sony's IP58 isn't it? no underwater i guess.

But i think it is good to see high end devices being waterproof ,i hope other manufacturers follow the trend.

On the other hand z2 looks like a really polsihed z2, bezels are thinner and the phone looks much better now

GS5-1.png

Nicktendo86

looks like samsung's version of z1, big bezels on a 5 inch device. IP57 certification, but that is worse than sony's IP58 isn't it? no underwater i guess.

But i think it is good to see high end devices being waterproof ,i hope other manufacturers follow the trend.

On the other hand z2 looks like a really polsihed z2, bezels are thinner and the phone looks much better now

GS5-1.png
The wallpaper isn't doing it any favours but it looks like they have taken stock with dashclock and messed around with stuff, not really pleasing at all. Better than before though....

Edit: it also looks really difficult to read any sof the text against the wallpaper, stupid design. Utterly stupid.

Xeno_V

I am finally getting a Nexus 5 during the coming days hopefully.
I have an iOS compatible headset (remote etc). Any apps for the remote buttons to work even for some basic functions? Any alternative choices before getting an Android compatible headset? The mic won't work no matter what, right?

Groof

I'll be waiting for the official keynote to see if Samsung has any surprising things in there so they end up on my watchlist. Otherwise it's between Sony, LG, hopefully Moto and of course Nexus this year as potential upgrade candidates.

Vanillalite

The wallpaper isn't doing it any favours but it looks like they have taken stock with dashclock and messed around with stuff, not really pleasing at all. Better than before though....

Edit: it also looks really difficult to read any sof the text against the wallpaper, stupid design. Utterly stupid.

Yeah that background is horrid for the way the text is displayed. You can't read anything.

Oh man, Samsung really beat the S5 with the ugly stick this time. Holy shit that's bad.

Close to confirmation that the Z2 will be available on multiple US carriers with a "competitive timeframe", whatever that means. The original rumour was VZW, T-Mob and possibly Sprint. AT&T have so far declined. I feel they will change their minds come May.

In Europe, Asia and Canada the Z2 will begin rolling out in the second and third weeks of March. Full availability across all carriers in these places.

Also, now that the Vaio division is closed, more marketing money has been made available. Close to triple what they had for 2013 is being made available for 2014. It's going to be a wild ride guys. 2014 could be the year Xperia breaks out. The line up is there and the early buzz for the Z2 is insanely positive.

Finally, you guys need to see this screen in person. Nothing else even comes close. It is without a doubt the best mobile display currently in production, and the Z2 Tablet screen is also the best tablet screen I have ever seen. Even better than the Air.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Oh man, Samsung really beat the S5 with the ugly stick this time. Holy shit that's bad.

Close to confirmation that the Z2 will be available on multiple US carriers with a "competitive timeframe", whatever that means. The original rumour was VZW, T-Mob and possibly Sprint. AT&T have so far declined. I feel they will change their minds come May.

In Europe, Asia and Canada the Z2 will begin rolling out in the second and third weeks of March. Full availability across all carriers in these places.

Also, now that the Vaio division is closed, more marketing money has been made available. Close to triple what they had for 2013 is being made available for 2014. It's going to be a wild ride guys. 2014 could be the year Xperia breaks out. The line up is there and the early buzz for the Z2 is insanely positive.

Finally, you guys need to see this screen in person. Nothing else even comes close. It is without a doubt the best mobile display currently in production, and the Z2 Tablet screen is also the best tablet screen I have ever seen. Even better than the Air.

Z2 white papers say that it supports ATT's LTE bands (4,17)...is that true?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Apparently, the GS5 has leaked.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/eat-drink-man-woman-16/%5Bgpgt%5D-%5B-first-know-%5D-samsung-galaxy-s5-official-photos-more-exclusive-news-edmw-4587887.html

Samsung's apps seem to look flatter, but TouchWiz still appears to be it's same ugly self, though I guess there's always the chance that the phone in the pictures isn't running the new version of TouchWiz. Also, that Nexus wallpaper looks great.

Behind a login wall. Post the pics plz.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at that image where you can't even read the text. Why would you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom