• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

... later that day ...

already over two million dollars

two 10k tier buyers already and more than a few people bought the $830 tier while the $600 day 1 tier is still available.
Those numbers might look promising if it was the same price for the whole duration, but considering it will cost almost 40% more from tomorrow they have no chance of reaching their target. Probably won't get a quarter of the way there.

Husker86

Hm. I don't think so. I'm on Verizon. ;_;

Nah. I'm on a Share Everything plan. And no unlimited data :/

Yeah, so if you know you're gonna stick with Verizon, you don't want to just sit on your upgrade for a long time. On second thought, I would wait for the Moto X reveal because I really do not see it being a super cheap phone on Verizon; or at least I don't see it being cheap enough where if you buy an S4 now and then sell it to buy a Moto X at full price, I don't think you'd come out that far ahead.

tino

Banned
... later that day ...

already over two million dollars

two 10k tier buyers already and more than a few people bought the $830 tier while the $600 day 1 tier is still available.

Those numbers might look promising if it was the same price for the whole duration, but considering it will cost almost 40% more from tomorrow they have no chance of reaching their target. Probably won't get a quarter of the way there.

I was going to start a new topic for this but I rather discuss it here.

I think those Ubuntu people are nuts and they are going to have huge egg on their face by the end of the run.

All they had to do was set the goal to a reasonable 10 mil - 15 mil to make this work. And they had to aim for the jugular.

Secondly, the $830 per unit normal price is a fucking rip off. Lets face it, the cost of phone shouldn't be over 400 nowadays because that's how much an off-brand Android quadcore 1080p phone cost from China. You can get a Oppo Find 5 or similar hardware configuration for similar price. Keep in mind that Find 5 has very good fit and finish so you can pay foxconn to make a solid phone for that much. And Find 5 only retail for about $360 in China. Yeah the Ubuntu phone has 128gb memory, but they didn't say what kind.

As far as the CPU, I doubt they are get top of line stuff from either quadcomm or intel for a small run. So I expect run of the mil quadcore whatever from Quadcomm. It's fucking Lunix, it should be able to run on generic Android hardware with little modification.

And there is no reason why they haven't decided on the CPU yet. The more I think about it, it more I think this thing is under develop. Ouya was a much more mature hardware product when it was kickstarted.

I hope it fail.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
It's amazing that people consider the iPod Touch as usable. Tiny screen aside it's so very slow. Scrolling feels worse than Froyo.

Basically I got a 4th gen iPod with 6.1.3 for free a few weeks ago and finally tried it today. Wish I could pit Jelly Bean on this thing.

It's amazing that people consider the iPod Touch as usable. Tiny screen aside it's so very slow. Scrolling feels worse than Froyo.

Basically I got a 4th gen iPod with 6.1.3 for free a few weeks ago and finally tried it today. Wish I could pit Jelly Bean on this thing.

You realize that particluar iPod Touch model is three years old right? The one that came out last year runs like a champ, and it has a larger screen.

Talon

It's two years old, using three year old internals.

I was going to start a new topic for this but I rather discuss it here.

I think those Ubuntu people are nuts and they are going to have huge egg on their face by the end of the run.

All they had to do was set the goal to a reasonable 10 mil - 15 mil to make this work. And they had to aim for the jugular.

Secondly, the $830 per unit normal price is a fucking rip off. Lets face it, the cost of phone shouldn't be over 400 nowadays because that's how much an off-brand Android quadcore 1080p phone cost from China. You can get a Oppo Find 5 or similar hardware configuration for similar price. Keep in mind that Find 5 has very good fit and finish so you can pay foxconn to make a solid phone for that much. And Find 5 only retail for about $360 in China. Yeah the Ubuntu phone has 128gb memory, but they didn't say what kind.

As far as the CPU, I doubt they are get top of line stuff from either quadcomm or intel for a small run. So I expect run of the mil quadcore whatever from Quadcomm. It's fucking Lunix, it should be able to run on generic Android hardware with little modification.

And there is no reason why they haven't decided on the CPU yet. The more I think about it, it more I think this thing is under develop. Ouya was a much more mature hardware product when it was kickstarted.

I hope it fail.

i'm not interested in it at all and i hope they succeed. did you ever consider the price is that high because they've already done proper cost projections, unlike most shitty crowdfunding efforts where everything goes wrong?

anyway, they're over $3M now and all of the early editions are sold out, so we'll see...

If they're over $3 million now, they're only 1/10th of the way there.

That's where Shadow of the Eternals was after it's first day, and we all know what happened there.

It's not going to happen, you can't fund $32 million from crowdfunding. Unless you're a washed-up game developer who hasn't made a game in more than a decade but now you promise you're going to make an impossibly ambitious massively multiplayer online space-sim. Then your name is Chris Roberts and you can get $14 million for Star Citizen.

in other news... Exynos 5 Octa gets a do-over?

Today we got the first details of the new SoC. The base CPU architecture remains unchanged. Samsung outfitted the Exynos 5420 with four A15s and four A7s, presumably in the same Cluster Migration big.LITTLE configuration. Clock speeds on both clusters are a bit higher now, 1.8GHz is the top speed for the Cortex A15 cores while 1.3GHz is where the A7s top out. Note that on the Cortex A15 side this exceeds where even ARM recommends clocking Cortex A15 for smartphones as far as power efficiency is concerned, but it should be fine for tablets. There's no word on whether or not the CCI-400 bug has been fixed, but I can only assume that it has been otherwise it'd be senseless to do another Exynos 5 Octa release this close to the original.

That's where Shadow of the Eternals was after it's first day, and we all know what happened there.

It's not going to happen, you can't fund $32 million from crowdfunding. Unless you're a washed-up game developer who hasn't made a game in more than a decade but now you promise you're going to make an impossibly ambitious massively multiplayer online space-sim. Then your name is Chris Roberts and you can get $14 million for Star Citizen.

And, it took him way longer than 30 days to even get to 14 million.

rc213

Anyone know why android tv out doesn't work like it does on iOS? I loved using AVPlayer which would play my movie on the tv but not on the tablet screen.

Massa

They hope to get $32 million by selling $800+ phones. Of course it's a tougher sell but you can't compare that amount to what $10-15 games make with crowdfunding.

scently

Can somebody point me to the Android app thread? can't seem to find it.

Anyway, the reason I am asking is that I am considering getting the new Nexus 7 when it comes out and I would like a very good reading app, preferably one that looks like and behaves like iBook on iPad.

DXPett1

4.3 Wishlist

Fix the buggy Gallery app that malforms metadata and scrambles my photos all over the place. Seriously, my photos are fucking precious. You fuck with them and I'm happy to go elsewhere

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So you battery whores can rejoice.

That new Droid Maxx Ultra or wtf ever it is called on Verizon will have a 3500 mAh battery.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can somebody point me to the Android app thread? can't seem to find it.

Anyway, the reason I am asking is that I am considering getting the new Nexus 7 when it comes out and I would like a very good reading app, preferably one that looks like and behaves like iBook on iPad.

Google has their own official apps for books and magazines if that's what you mean.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Motorola Moto X will indeed be the affordable device we all anticipated. Prices will start at the extremely affordable $299 off contract for a 16GB Moto X and go up to $349 for the 32 gig version, according to sources in China.

This makes pricing for the Moto X just in line with the cost of the Nexus 4. If Google decides to follow the Nexus model, the Moto X could be offered on the Play Store as well.

For Europe, those prices should translate into 299 euro for the 16GB model and 349 euro for the 32GB version of the Moto X.

Google has already announced the official Moto X unveiling event for August 1st with the release date expected for late August in the United States and possibly a bit later for the rest of the world.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-Moto-X-retail-prices-revealed-starting-from-299_id45607

kehs

Banned
Ok so did they take away the ability to unpin multiple albums at once?

Cause I feel like I'm on a nexus one with all the storage notifications.

e: Holy shit 300 off contract?

oems gonna be pissed off.

Rockchip Electronics Unveils Multi-Window Android Multitasking That Could Actually Be Useful

Rockchip's offering supports resizing windows via two-finger and three-finger gestures. Users can drag windows and position them manually, or watch as they snap automatically to fill half or a fourth of the screen. The software is built on top of Android 4.2.2 and adds in a host of other features unrelated to window management. Rockchip has added support for custom quick-start programs and the ability to snap a screenshot using gestures. Most of the new tricks star in the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQzsTe1BCU

looks cool!

in other news...

http://cyngn.com

Countdown to an official CM phone? Would be interesting, but a good spec is required to make it future proof against Google's future versions of Android, and I don't know how much clout they would have with the likes of Qualcomm to release kernel sources and drivers etc... OEMs can do so because Qualcomm can't afford to lose the business.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Oh, Jesus Christ. The source is a Weibo post? That's like quoting Twitter.

JG39DHr.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom