• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
So my dad was getting the new Galaxy, and apparently there was an offer for him to get another phone free. Anyways, since I'm the only other person who uses Android he offered me the deal and I went with the HTC One M8 to replace the HTC DNA I have right now. Seems like it was a good choice from the impressions here.

jokkir

I'm surprised that the Google Now launcher has been my default launcher for the past 3 months and I have no urge to change. That's totally different from the default launcher before.

Emitan

Has anyone posted AP's rumor about Hera yet? I'm on my phone and can't do a good summary at the moment:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...d-and-search-to-do-everything-on-your-device/

An easy way to think about what this functionality looks like is to imagine Gmail on the web. If you've just signed up for a new website and were sent a confirmation request, Gmail can understand that and places a button next to the message in your inbox that allows you to confirm your address without ever opening the email.
Now, replace the email with an app, like Hangouts. Theoretically with the functionality we're discussing, Google would be able to alert a user to a new message, display it, and let the user enter a reply and send it without ever opening the app.

Wow that sounds really cool

jokkir

The Keep update and the MagazineNewsstand update. Is this what we should expect for the design for future Android updates? What I mean is the multi-coloured action bar for different sections of the app.

If it is, what do you think about it?

XBP

So evleaks tweeted this

BkgMdYECQAAGIas.png

Very interested in seeing what Motorolla has to offer in their next flagship.

Groof

I'm surprised that the Google Now launcher has been my default launcher for the past 3 months and I have no urge to change. That's totally different from the default launcher before.
Yep, same. I have this nagging urge that I need to switch back to Nova out of some strange obligation but I don't.

3phemeral

Google Now was my default launcher for the longest, but I recently went back to Nova for the sliding navigation bar features. Also, it's just so much smoother than Google Now. I still like Google Now and miss being able to swipe to it immediately, but my Moto X has really made it easy to access all of those features without the need for that alternative access method.

terrier

Same here. Only to flaws so far

- mandatory google search bar at the top. I wish i could disable it, or make it fully transparent, or minimalistic like LG's launcher
- app drawer should allow , like most launchers, use personal order, instead of only alphabetical order.

Else is great.

Mindwipe

I like it, but only because I'm using an older version - swipe left for Now is great.

But the lack of support for icon packs is annoying, and I can't use a newer version with it's stupid, stupid decision to switch to a 6x5 grid on 7 inch tablets with no ability to change.

tzare

So 2015 snapdragon socs have been announced, makes it hard to upgrade this year considering nothing relevant hardware wise is on the horizon now, besides minor upgrades

So 2015 snapdragon socs have been announced, makes it hard to upgrade this year considering nothing relevant hardware wise is on the horizon now, besides minor upgrades

Yea, I am mostly waiting for N6 details now.

S5 costs 900$ in India, not gonna happen.
HTC One M8 has a crappy camera, might even be worse than N5.
Sony Z2...need reviews first.

Nakazato

Note 3 charger are garbage. You got a faulty one. Call Samsung to replace it for free. I usually get like 4 customers a day with the issue.

yea just called them. Now knowing i can use a usb 2.0 cable tho it will charge slower is what ill have to do and send them my old one back.

daveo42

Banned
Looking for an upgrade and stuck on what I should get or if I should wait it out.

Current Handset: Galaxy Nexus

Contenders: Z1S (due to lack of Z2 in the US)
HTC One (M8)
G5

I'm really looking for a good step up in picture quality, screen, and def battery life on my tired old Nexus, which I think is one of the worst phones I have ever owned.

Kind of interested in the G5, but unimpressed with the progression of their Galaxy line. The M8 looks good and I liked the feel of it, but the worrisome thing for me is the rear camera and the lack of OIS on top of the low pixel density. The Z2 at this point is the perfect upgrade device but since I am in the US, that's at least 6 months away from launch, if not more.

So, do I wait for the Z2 or go with one of the other choices?

reKon

Banned
LG G3
Nexus 5 (2014)
Motorola X+1

These are my most anticipated phones for this year. Bring it.

These are mine too, except replace the LG G3 with the Xperia Z2 Compact. I don't have to have a phone that's very easy to hold in one hand, but after handling the Moto X, I think I want that now. The M8 seems like a great phone, but it's too big for me. I hope that with the Moto X, they stuff at least a 2600mAH battery in there. and have it at around 9mm with a 4.7-4.8 screen, minimal bezel and improved camera. All indication though shows that the Xperia Z2 Compact is going to be the best phone for me if it has a 4.5 inch screen (I really do prefer the 4.7+ size with minimal bezel). The Galaxy S4 is great in that regard because the phone is all screen.

Toki767

Is anyone else using MightyText? I started using it recently since I like being able to send SMS from my computer, but I notice it doesn't remove the notification from my phone when I respond or read a text.

Talon

You guys saved that screenshot from faceless, right? That was amazing
ly awful
The responses to that screenshot were incredible.
Paging Faceless

You can do another version of your horrible customized look!

The Verge

Meet the illegitimate child of Comic Sans
Shows this to a coworker. Her response:
"It's like rebranding Nazi Germany. It's going to take a few generations to get over it, if ever."

Xyber

So, SD cards. Might as well order one now for whenever my phone gets here. Any recommendations? Found a class 10 from Samsung that is cheap, that should be fast and work just fine right? 20MB/s write speed.

Saw that SanDisk got one that is rated at 50MB/s write, but that would double the price and according to some comments it never reaches those speeds anyway. So, I'm guessing it's not worth it?

I mainly ask because I don't want a card that would make recording in HD/UHD or loading the photo gallery suffer because of slow read and write. Don't know what speeds are required for that to work good.

leng jai

Had a look at the M8 in person today. I don't really get all the praise about how good looking it is. I mean it's leagues ahead of the S5 obviously but it looks worse than the M7 if ask me. Build quality does look to be significantly better though, definitely no "gaps" debacle like last year. I think I'm going wait for the Z2. The M8 is basically the same as the M7 with some upgrades while looking worse IMO.

NotBacon

HTC M8 just looks wrong. I think it's too tall with that pointless htc bezel and it looks like a step down from the M7.

LG has been taking a turn for the worse lately by cramming as much software/bloat into their phones as possible, useful or not. I gave the G2 a spin in store and it was almost appalling as Samsung phones.

Nexus phones are nice, but I'm on Verizon :/

Moto X was sexy for the brief period I used it and everyone seems to love it.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Moto X+1

terrier

i was tempted to jump to WP just for the camera, the lumia icon (or 930) with WP 8.1 looks, for the first time in a long time, a serious rival for Android flagships: 5 inch screen, snapdragon 800, notifications and quick settings at last... and probably the best camera, unless sony fixes its software.
But i have been trying a WP launcher on my spare Optimus G and while it is fun for a while, it gets boring soon and feels limited compared to android customization. I know it is just a launcher, and not real WP, but i guess i will stick to android for a long time until others catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom