• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

i was tempted to jump to WP just for the camera, the lumia icon (or 930) with WP 8.1 looks, for the first time in a long time, a serious rival for Android flagships: 5 inch screen, snapdragon 800, notifications and quick settings at last... and probably the best camera, unless sony fixes its software.
But i have been trying a WP launcher on my spare Optimus G and while it is fun for a while, it gets boring soon and feels limited compared to android customization. I know it is just a launcher, and not real WP, but i guess i will stick to android for a long time until others catch up.

As much as I'd like my use of google services (google play music, drive, gmail, youtube, chromecast) mean I'm locked out of trying WP. Maybe one day they will sell enough that google will be forced to support WP and modern windows.

terrier

As much as I'd like my use of google services (google play music, drive, gmail, youtube, chromecast) mean I'm locked out of trying WP. Maybe one day they will sell enough that google will be forced to support WP and modern windows.

that too, afaik, google services are available on iOS but not WP which is a shame. I wonder if at least in europe, maybe the EU can force google to fix that.

Talon

picgifs-laughing-489831.gif

Quasar

I know.

Its a real shame. And it makes me wonder what Googles support of MS products over time will be. They surprisingly are supporting Xbox, not supporting Windows Phone, and who knows what will happen will PC Windows once Win32 goes by the wayside.

Jintor

Anyone using Swype?

Last few months it's been fucking lagging as all shit on the most basic of tasks. I clear the cache pretty much every time I use the phone now and it doesn't do jackshit.

Piece of fucking garbage now. Used to work so well, too...

tzare

Anyone using Swype?

Last few months it's been fucking lagging as all shit on the most basic of tasks. I clear the cache pretty much every time I use the phone now and it doesn't do jackshit.

I use it on my N5, no issues so far

PaulLFC

Oh, yeah. I have never sideloaded the update since if you have issues with the OTA then the sideloaded update will have the same issues.

I flash directly from the factory images which will overwrite anything that would cause issues. It's safe, and you can do it without losing your data with one small edit in notepad.

I wrote a how-to here if you're interested:
http://www.cultureoftech.com/2014/0...oid-nexus-device-without-waiting-for-the-ota/

Hardest part (for some computers) is just getting your computer to recognize your phone in adb.
Thanks for this. Google offered to replace it for free (I'd assumed it was out of warranty, being ordered January last year, but evidently not). I'll keep this guide bookmarked for if it happens again when it's out of warranty though.

So is this the first time every a new samsung phone can't beat the previous years iphone in benchmarks. Pretty cray.

Anyone using Swype?

started randomly happening to me on my htc one. switched to google keyboard. No problems. Since then I got a nexus 5 though so I don't really need it much any more.

Have they ever?
I honestly never paid attention but I always thought the latest galaxy phones always beat the previous years iphone model in benchmarks.

edit: yeah looked up S4 and it beat the iphone 5 in a lot of places. S5 barely beat iphone 5s in anything. I guess the snapdragon 801 or whatever is in it isn't that big a jump.

thespot84

Grandfathered and they have the best coverage. It sucks but it is what it is.

Ask yourself if you actually NEED unlimited data. If you do, great, but if not, consider leaving. I thought I need unlimited, but after looking at it I get away with 2gb and sometimes 3gb on rare occasions. Switching saved me $50/mo on average.

NotBacon

Ask yourself if you actually NEED unlimited data. If you do, great, but if not, consider leaving. I thought I need unlimited, but after looking at it I get away with 2gb and sometimes 3gb on rare occasions. Switching saved me $50/mo on average.

Probably not, but that coverage is unbeatable. GF has AT&T, coworker has T-Mobile, and they both complain about not having reception a lot. I don't have that problem and don't want it.

Google wireless save us!

Went to an ATT store today and played with both the S5 and One M8. S5 felt great. I like the back. Screen was beautiful. It was extremely light. The my magazine was ok. I mean it's just like Blinkfeed, so it's nothing revolutionary. About 50/50 in getting one right now.

The M8 was jsut um. It looks nice. It's way too slippery. Even with the security on it, I felt it would slip out of my hands. People thought the S3 was bad? This is 10 times worse. Sense is sense. Shit was so heavy and tall. I can't say it was enjoyable.

thespot84

Probably not, but that coverage is unbeatable. GF has AT&T, coworker has T-Mobile, and they both complain about not having reception a lot. I don't have that problem and don't want it.

Google wireless save us!

I originally switched to tmobile which was fine 90% of the time and literally would not see a tower the other 10%, at&t has been smooth sailing, but I'm sure it depends on the particular market you're in. It's true that verizon was the best though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I used to run a lot of third party stuff. Keyboard, launcher, note app. Now I use Google's stuff. I don't like it. Built in stuff is better but third party apps plush boundaries. Google has been on their game lately. There's little reason not to use their stuff. Things are easier now but less exciting.

Fuck that Launcher Pro guy, though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I used to run a lot of third party stuff. Keyboard, launcher, note app. Now I use Google's stuff. I don't like it. Built in stuff is better but third party apps plush boundaries. Google has been on their game lately. There's little reason not to use their stuff. Things are easier now but less exciting.

Fuck that Launcher Pro guy, though.

I went back to stock after I reset my N7 the other night. Well almost stock as I installed GEL since that seemed to only come with N5 Kitkat.

I agree though. Most of Google's stuff like their keyboard is solid now that I really feel no need to look else where.

Husker86

Well I've only ever used Sense (HTC Legend, One) and Nova Launcher and it always worked very well for me.

If you saw the stock Android settings, you'd see how deep these skins go.

Sense settings isn't bad, but Samsung's...ugh. There are four tabs with their own scrollable lists in Samsung settings menu...four tabs.

Groof

If you saw the stock Android settings, you'd see how deep these skins go.

Sense settings isn't bad, but Samsung's...ugh. There are four tabs with their own scrollable lists in Samsung settings menu...four tabs.
And they're not swipable!

leng jai

The battery reviews are a mixed bag. Some say the M8's battery life is great while others say it is so-so. Anandtech has it pretty much as the best out of every despite the smaller battery.

Been doing some more research and it seems the M8 has a few other features that are unheralded while everyone is just up in arms with the 4MP camera. GSM Arena claims it has the best headphone amp and sound quality out of all the current phones (by a significant margin) and that's backed up by the feedback on Head-fi. It also the fastest ever touch screen response time according to this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2706200

That's a pretty big deal and probably explains why some people say it feels a lot snappier than the M7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom