• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

That people tab in the play store app. Pretty cool. I wanted a way to surface this kind of data from my friends app use.

Zeppu

7RzcKvvl.jpg

Avixph

They are shiny, yes, but I haven't noticed ANY glare or anything that would possibly bother me while using it.
I might have to get a case if I buy the phone. Also:
How good is the fingerprint reader?
Can you tell us how long the battery lasts on heavy use without going into Ultra Power Saving Mode?

Groof

Screen from the other day on the N4.

(N7) Settings are buried even deeper down in the app. No way to change from Top Stories to Most Recent. The tabs are swipable, but swipe out from the left hand side and you get your online list.

I think the worst part is that the tab next to the timeline is your friend requests, which is totally arbitrary. Then your chats and then your notifications.

naku

I might have to get a case if I buy the phone. Also:
How good is the fingerprint reader?
Can you tell us how long the battery lasts on heavy use without going into Ultra Power Saving Mode?

The fingerprint scanner is restricted and I cannot use it on this very device. But I have tried it on another one and it works well most of the time.

The battery is surprisingly good considering it is only 2800mAh. I've been using this the whole day downloading apps, watching youtube, taking pictures and gaming and still have 17% left.

Avixph

The fingerprint scanner is restricted and I cannot use it on this very device. But I have tried it on another one and it works well most of the time.

The battery is surprisingly good considering it is only 2800mAh. I've been using this the whole day downloading apps, watching youtube, taking pictures and gaming and still have 17% left.
Not bad. How is that dual download thing?

naku

Not bad. How is that dual download thing?

I was given a demo device. It has all the functions but some features are restricted, cellular networks being a one. I'm sorry, I wish I could help you with that. I am very very curious aswell. But from what Samsung representatives have personally told me, I am convinced it will work. Flawlessly? No guarantee, of course.

zedge

I hope the people who like to shit on Samsung on materials or build quality can shut the fuck up now. Yeah, right.

People should run the iPhone or the HTC One over with a car and see how they fare compared to the Galaxy S5.

Yea, the whole metal > plastic stuff is rather silly. A metal phone may feel more 'premium' in the hand but it does not equate to the phone being more durable.

I hope the people who like to shit on Samsung on materials or build quality can shut the fuck up now. Yeah, right.

People should run the iPhone or the HTC One over with a car and see how they fare compared to the Galaxy S5.

But.....but....metal....?

People know if you have a metal phone and whip it out at a party you will get mad bitches.

this_guy

If you guys have some questions about the s5 I can try my best to answer them. I cannot tell you everything, but some details as I will be using the phone for a week until its launch.

How's the camera, and what other phone cameras have you used so you can compare?

jokkir

Nexus 4 owners, does this happen to you?

You're taking a picture in portrait orientation and then the picture comes out horizontally. Then to fix it is to just try and orient the device to portrait and take the picture again.

This is happening to me every time I take a picture and it's pretty annoying especially since I have my rotation locked. I'm on stock too so I'm wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

XBP

They did and the HTC One did not break, some scratches here and there but nothing bad at all. They also hit the One with a hammer dozens of time (with significant force) and that didn't break its screen as well.

So the M8 is infact a very well built phone and so is the M7.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Is there a flashlight app that lets you adjust the brightness? All of the ones I've seen only have it at like super high brightness.

naku

How's the camera, and what other phone cameras have you used so you can compare?

The camera is incredible. I really really like. It has 16mp and tons of features and settings. The most impressive is the focusing, it is freaking quick.
Also the HDR mode is way better than before and let's you take great pics in low light.
Selective mode gives you a neat depth of field kind of touch touch.

I've used tons of them
Nexus 4&5. Galaxy s 3&4. Lumia 920 & 1020 & 1520.
HTC One. LG G2 just to name a few.

wilflare

I got a chance to test it last week for a few hours together with the new Gear 2 and Gear Fit watches.

What I like about the S5:
(1) Camera (best improvements were made here)
- Live HDR Mode (no more long processing times after capturing a shot) - This mode shows you how your shot will look like when you take a HDR shot LIVE! and it works pretty well
- 0.3sec focus - I really like this too. The camera is able to focus much faster
- Selective focus - this is my favourite feature of the 16MP camera. more details with pictures below

(2) Interesting additions to Touchwiz
- Ultra Power-Saving Mode - the phone UI becomes simplistic and Black and White (you get to select what user apps still work in this mode) - The battery supposedly goes up to a few days if you choose to stay in this mode

- Kids Mode - this was a fascination for the other testers with kids. basically, you can get your phone into this mode and you control how long your kid can play games/apps and whether or not they can access the store. It comes complete with its own custom-UI (think colourful backgrounds etc)

- Integration with PayPal (thumbprint sensor) - this maybe useful for those of you doing big transactions on PayPal via mobile. The thumbprint sensor seems to work rather reliable.

cross-posting from my Google+ page.

More on Samsung Galaxy S5 Camera's Selective Focus function. Both pictures are from one image capture. You can switch between near and far focus even AFTER taking the photo. No more using gimmicky apps to adjust depth of field, background/foreground blur.
2014+-+1

a shot of the Samsung Galaxy S5, Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo and Gear 2 Fit. I'm pretty impressed by the camera on the S5. the selective focus is really awesome (think depth of field). and the live HDR mode makes taking HDR shots much easier. the heart rate sensor is an interesting add
2014-03-28

8bit

Knows the Score
Can anyone please recommend a good alternative to LogMeIn now that it's not free any more? (annoying after shelling out so much for the app...)

I've tried TeamViewer but it's absolute garbage on Android, so unresponsive on my S3 that it's practically unusable.

Thanks!

I use Microsoft's Remote Desktop client, might need a bit of configuration though. Otherwise isn't Chrome Remote Desktop available?

Fjolle

So... I bought a Moto G 3 months ago, and I have a problem where all kinds of apps (reddit sync, chrome, candy crush, android desktop etc.) are freezing randomly several times a day.

I'll try this when I get some time.

Are there any other stuff I should do?

It's rooted and I have installed xposed framework and some modules. I guess that I could disable one module a time and see if that changes anything.

terrier

i wonder if some of those software camera improvements can be added to de s4 or note 3.

Looks like samsung has done a few things right, despite the hate they receive.

I also find that being waterproof, despite a level below xperia if i am not mistaken, is a huge plus for a flagship.

Gwanatu T

This is stupid, even for you.

No it's really true. No matter what Samsung does it'll never be enough because they are the big guys and people love to shit all over whoever is popular. I can understand not liking Samsung's style, they do plenty of things either wrong or against what enthusiast Android followers prefer, but at least throw them a bone when they do something right. The S5 is crazy durable from what I can tell here, and that's awesome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
No it's really true. No matter what Samsung does it'll never be enough because they are the big guys and people love to shit all over whoever is popular. I can understand not liking Samsung's style, they do plenty of things either wrong or against what enthusiast Android followers prefer, but at least throw them a bone when they do something right. The S5 is crazy durable from what I can tell here, and that's awesome.

You post coherently. Unknown just was dumb ranting and saying we should all run over our non Samsung phones and see how we like it. It was stupid even for Unknown.

I guess I should adjust my expectations for Unknown posts tho!

Talon

"The phone may feel cheap, but it will survive being run over a car!"

See how that sounds?

Nicktendo86

Yeah the whole run over thing is silly. When they have screens that will not crack or shatter and are resistant to fine sand making tiny scratches, THEN I will be impressed.

PaulLFC

Does sideloading an update delete all your data and apps etc?

I've finally got sick of the 4.4.2 update failing every single time on my Nexus 4. I tried wiping the cache and even that didn't fix it. There's no information on why it fails, just "Error!" (useful...).

I wouldn't care, but the "system update downloaded" notification is impossible to dismiss unless you tell it to install the update, which will fail. So it looks like sideloading it (and hoping it actually works and doesn't fail half way through) is the only solution.

Android's update procedure sucks.

yyzjohn

Banned

I've finally got sick of the 4.4.2 update failing every single time on my Nexus 4. I tried wiping the cache and even that didn't fix it. There's no information on why it fails, just "Error!" (useful...).

I wouldn't care, but the "system update downloaded" notification is impossible to dismiss unless you tell it to install the update, which will fail. So it looks like sideloading it (and hoping it actually works and doesn't fail half way through) is the only solution.

Has your phone always been stock or did you mod/root do something to it?

Groof

Sounds like you've messed with the system files in one way or other. Your best bet would be to flash a factory image. There are ways to do that without having it wipe your device, should be easy to find how.

PaulLFC

Has your phone always been stock or did you mod/root do something to it?

Sounds like you've messed with the system files in one way or other. Your best bet would be to flash a factory image. There are ways to do that without having it wipe your device, should be easy to find how.
It's always been stock since I bought it, as far as I know I haven't touched the system files on it. It's never been rooted, so I don't think any of the files would have been modified outside what the system has done itself.

Edit: Groof, regarding the factory image, there's a factory data reset option in settings, is that the same thing, or something different? I'd been holding off for not wanting to lose data, but I'll just back everything up first and then try it.

You post coherently. Unknown just was dumb ranting and saying we should all run over our non Samsung phones and see how we like it. It was stupid even for Unknown.

I guess I should adjust my expectations for Unknown posts tho!

No I'm pretty sure Talon was on point. As for you getting pissy well you're always kind of an asshole so I won't even couch that with an "even for you" phrase.

I have never seen you before and I have no idea who you are but congratulations on being only the second person to make it on my Ignore List.

kinggroin

Banned
I have never seen you before and I have no idea who you are but congratulations on being only the second person to make it on my Ignore List.

Dude let it go. These ass-grapes are too invested in this war against "whoever is the most popular OEM". Samsung is kicking fucking ass and doing it to the beat of their own drum. Its also pissing off Google fanboys that believe the only path to Android success is via soft buttons.

Fuck em.

NotBacon

This is a huge asshole post, even for you.

lolwut

You sound like a genuinely fun person. Have fun with your playskool phone.

reKon

Banned
Traveling to Nigeria next month and I don't want to bring my HTC One. I saw the Slickdeals on the T-Mobile LG Black Optimus F6. If I want buy this cheap phone or the Huawei Vitria, I should be able to just pop in the proper Nigeria sim and be good to use this right? Also, if I go with the the Huawei Vitria, I should be able to easily unlock and use it on T-Mobile in the states right?

Dude let it go. These ass-grapes are too invested in this war against "whoever is the most popular OEM". Samsung is kicking fucking ass and doing it to the beat of their own drum. Its also pissing off Google fanboys that believe the only path to Android success is via soft buttons.

Fuck em.

i can't believe Google still hasn't added S Beam like functionality.

naku

Does the phone heat up as badly as the S4?

I've never been a s4 power user so can't compare. However, I've done some heavy gaming on this one and been watching a lot of videos. The s5 heats up a bit, never been close to something I would describe as a serious or bad heating up. More like nice comfy finger warmer on a cold day. :)

Seems like Verizon is offering buy 1 get 1 free for the Galaxy S5 I know there doing that now for the HTC One M8. I have a Droid Razr Maxx and up for an upgrade wonder if I should upgrade to one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom