• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
stop-stop.gif

LoL OK maybe that was a bit much :p

sruckus

I always liked the mobile show more than the Vergecast, which was so boring for everyone involved, that they had to get drunk during the recording of the past three or so episodes. I just hope that they actually can get Tom Warren on the shows every now and then, once they're done with the reboot.

Now that they're both gone, I need new podcasts. I recently added This is Only a Test and Invisible Walls (listening to some older stuff). Any other recommendations? I wish GT Time already had an audio version and an RSS feed.

I just discovered this after noticing there was no Vergecast last week :(. The show quality wasn't the best, but I still enjoyed it and liked that they had a female presence, too. The show did go off topic a lot, but it always did and that made it fun and kept my interest week-to-week. I'm really disappointed. WTF.

Xyber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py6zXJoS-cE

its highly durable holy shit it even got ran over a few times.

Well that's nice. I just said it looks cheap. Was hoping they would do a bit more with the design of the S5.

Still, after giving it a few days thought I just extended my plan and ordered the S5 with it. After watching plenty of videos I've grown on how the white one looks. It's certainly no HTC One or iPhone, but it looks good enough and the phone itself seems great.

Tommy DJ

It actually looks and feels pretty good, the texture and feel of the dimpled back is actually really nice. The real problem is that fake chrome rim. It's actually worse in real life.

Hurray! After over a month of my Gmail app not syncing correctly on my Note 2, it finally seems to be getting emails pushed to it properly again.

Don't know if there was an update recently, but I was using the stick Samsung/Att email app and when I uninstalled Gmail updates and updated it again, it seemed to have fixed it finally (I'd tried that at least 3 times before with no success).

Daante

Looking to upgrade from my Sony Xperia S that iv had for over 2 years now.

1. Battery life is important, my new phone should have exeptionally stand by and usage time.

2. I want a fast reference camera in my new phone, who can take sharp looking pictures whithout jidder, and loose focus in both Dark and light conditions.

3. Screen size and resolution, i think im kinda looked in to around 4.3 inch size. 5 inch and above would not fit into a jeans pocket im afraid (?), and i still se a phone as something semi-small that i can carry with me, regardless what clothing i might have.

4. I usually dont game with my phone so this area is irrelevant. However the hardware inside my new phone must be powerful so i dont experience lag when im surfing, taking pictures or doing regular stuff.

5. The phone needs to be good looking. New tech for me must be good looking.

Any advice?

PriitV

1. Battery life is important, my new phone should have exeptionally stand by and usage time.

2. I want a fast reference camera in my new phone, who can take sharp looking pictures whithout jidder, and loose focus in both Dark and light conditions.

3. Screen size and resolution, i think im kinda looked in to around 4.3 inch size. 5 inch and above would not fit into a jeans pocket im afraid (?), and i still se a phone as something semi-small that i can carry with me, regardless what clothing i might have.

4. I usually dont game with my phone so this area is irrelevant. However the hardware inside my new phone must be powerful so i dont experience lag when im surfing, taking pictures or doing regular stuff.

5. The phone needs to be good looking. New tech for me must be good looking.

Any advice?

If you're looking for a small powerhouse of a phone then I'm afraid Sony Z1 compact is your only choice.

Xeno_V

Any decent in-ear headphones / headsets for Android? I need something good for listening to music with a remote control and a mic that work perfect on an Android phone.
Is using an iOS headset a bad idea? I know that the remote will work with some apps, although the +/- volume buttons probably won't work. How about the mic, does this work at least?
If not then I have to buy a new headset apparently..

Groof

Any decent in-ear headphones / headsets for Android? I need something good for listening to music with a remote control and a mic that work perfect on an Android phone.
Is using an iOS headset a bad idea? I know that the remote will work with some apps, although the +/- volume buttons probably won't work. How about the mic, does this work at least?

What's your budget?

I used ATH-CKM500iS for a long while until they crapped out on me after 2 years of use (and one run through the washing machine). They produce amazing sound as well as have a fully functioning mic + pause/play button. If I had the money right now I'd definitely re-buy them.
Only downside I would say is that the mic is placed around the middle of the cord, so you'll still have to hold it up when talking to someone. But I'd still prefer that over pulling out my phone, especially in poor weather conditions. Also the cord can tangle like bitch.

longdi

Banned
Had a long test at the store with the 3 android flagships side by side! I came away pretty impressed with all of them, i will say fans of either wont be disappointed. I think it is no better a time to jump into Android if you are thinking so!

All of them look and perform pretty awe-right! All 3 screens look sharp and colorful. All 3 imo are able to seat down with Apple on the premium table...finally.

The S5 may look plastic through the internet, but in real life it looks no worse than S4...almost, the bottom USB still looks shitty, but only that. Even the hansa-plus back looks good enough irl, imo better than Note3, and it does provide a nice texturey grip! ie. if you dont mind the plastic body, S5 wont look cheap irl.

The recent rating of S5 screen as the best ever yet is worth a read. White actually look white now, and there is no saturated AMOLED tint. The non-RGB arrangement no longer affects text sharpness that i can notice. Although i would rate Z2 screen the sharpest, if you thought Z1 screen looks good head on, Z2 imo looks even sharper and punchier! IMO Z2 is best Sony screen yet, even ousting ZU noticeably. Glad that Sony went IPS and removed the anti-shatter film.

About the HTC M8, you thought internet pictures of the twin camera eye at the back looks bad? No worries, in real life the phone looks classy, the twin eyes and 'T' lines are very subtle and blended in with the design! M8 is the slimmest of the 3, but i felt the metal body lacks a little heft, for better or worse.

And I picked up a Z2 to replace my old S2! :D

Two pieces of advise to Sony reading in.

1. You need to work on reducing the size of Z flagships, it is bigger than the Note3 and noticeably larger than your competitors. (although Z2 feels much better in hand than Z or Z1). Or you could have ZxL make a return, with non-IP resistance, edge to edge bezels and removable battery

2. Please include magnetic charger in every Z flagship going forward. Cant believe they are charging US$35 for one piece of cheap plastic! You shouldnt encourage your users to continually peel open your water-resistance covers...

Tommy DJ

Its a huge ripoff but its your typical "official" accessories tax. I'm guessing that's where they get some of their money from since those items have a profit margin in the thousands. Those cables are only around $5 from eBay and they work perfectly fine.

PaulLFC

Possibly idiotic question: Updating Android over USB using adb sideload doesn't void the warranty, right? Just want to check before I try and fix my Nexus 4 update problems that way - If it does then I'd rather just send it in for repair.

Xeno_V

What's your budget?

I used ATH-CKM500iS for a long while until they crapped out on me after 2 years of use (and one run through the washing machine). They produce amazing sound as well as have a fully functioning mic + pause/play button. If I had the money right now I'd definitely re-buy them.
Only downside I would say is that the mic is placed around the middle of the cord, so you'll still have to hold it up when talking to someone. But I'd still prefer that over pulling out my phone, especially in poor weather conditions. Also the cord can tangle like bitch.

My budget is up to $100.
According to what they write on amazon the mic doesn't work with Android devices... that doesn't sound too good...
I have a pair of Etymotic HF-3 now, still sealed ($150 on Amazon).
The headset is iOS compatible and I will stick with those unless I find something that works perfectly (mic, remote, volume buttons etc) with the Nexus 5 that I plan to buy during the coming week.

Husker86

Possibly idiotic question: Updating Android over USB using adb sideload doesn't void the warranty, right? Just want to check before I try and fix my Nexus 4 update problems that way - If it does then I'd rather just send it in for repair.
Can't see why it would. What issues are you having?

My budget is up to $100.
According to what they write on amazon the mic doesn't work with Android devices... that doesn't sound too good...
The headset is iOS compatible and I will stick with those unless I find something that works perfectly (mic, remote, volume buttons etc) with the Nexus 5 that I plan to buy during the coming week.
They only headset I've had where the volume remote worked on Android is one that came with the GS4. I use an iPhone one now which is fine, but volume doesn't work; play/pause is fine though.

PaulLFC

Thanks, I'll try that tonight then and see if it fixes anything.

Currently it just refuses to update from 4.4 to 4.4.2 using the normal system update procedure - the phone restarts, gets about half way through the installation progress bar and then I get the "Error!" screen. Restart the phone and it's back to just 4.4

I've never rooted it or installed a custom rom, so I can't think of any way the system files would have been modified. I did notice a few other people having this issue on the Google forums, but no solutions seem to work except installing the update via USB.

Xeno_V

They only headset I've had where the volume remote worked on Android is one that came with the GS4. I use an iPhone one now which is fine, but volume doesn't work; play/pause is fine though.

Does the mic work? How about Next track function? Some apps are supposed to make this work by double tapping the play/pause button or something.

GQman2121

Banned
Is there anyway--without rooting--to remove the clock from the notifications bar? I have the bar hidden with my launcher, but I'd really like to just get rid of the clock.

I'm on an Xperia Z if that matters.

Husker86

Thanks, I'll try that tonight then and see if it fixes anything.

Currently it just refuses to update from 4.4 to 4.4.2 using the normal system update procedure - the phone restarts, gets about half way through the installation progress bar and then I get the "Error!" screen. Restart the phone and it's back to just 4.4

I've never rooted it or installed a custom rom, so I can't think of any way the system files would have been modified. I did notice a few other people having this issue on the Google forums, but no solutions seem to work except installing the update via USB.

Ah. Well, for what it's worth, I always update my Nexus devices with the factory images.

Does the mic work? How about Next track function? Some apps are supposed to make this work by double tapping the play/pause button or something.
Mic works and skipping tracks works, can't go backwards though. Works with all media apps that I've used so far.

reKon

Banned

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4LGVUO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

These are great. And no I'm not joking. I bought them because of these guys research:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-headphones-under-30/

The sound is good and they are most comfortable ear phones I've ever used. I also use this as a mic on my PS4. No volume up and down controls, but I can double tap to switch tracks. I don't use this feature because I have Xposed on my HTC One which essentially allows you to run stock android and cherry picked mods without having to install a custom ROM. It's brilliant and works very well. I have a mod that let's you skip tracks by holding down the volume button. I downloaded this feature for both my HTC One and Nexus 7.

Talon

My budget is up to $100.
Stick with the Ety's. They're damn good.

Groof

My budget is up to $100.

Did you miss the part where I said I owned a pair for over 2 years and they worked flawlessly?

Xeno_V

Stick with the Ety's. They're damn good.

They are kinda weak on the bass side, but they are good for sure.. Not sure if they are $150 good though. If they will also work on Android (and as it seems from what you are saying they will) then I will stick with them indeed.

Did you miss the part where I said I owned a pair for over 2 years and they worked flawlessly?

Probably.

Groof

Probably.

Listen mate, if you don't want to trust me sure. But there are three versions of this headset: the regular ATH-CKM500 which doesn't have a mic or button, the ATH-CKM500i which is made for iDevices and the 500iS which is made for Android devices.
If it didn't work for the people on Amazon, then something is wrong with their devices or they bought the wrong version.
They also have a scroll wheel to get around the volume button limitations.

Now I'm not telling you to buy them straight up, but I'm just saying, they work without any issues.

PaulLFC

Ah. Well, for what it's worth, I always update my Nexus devices with the factory images.
I tried sideloading 4.4.1, but got an error that "Launcher2.apk contains unexpected contents" - looking around it seems others have a similar error, but for completely random apks ranging from Gmail to Google Drive to QuickOffice. Mine appears to be the launcher, which isn't great.

I did find this post which says to flash system.img, but given the success rate of anything else I've tried flashing to the phone lately (zero) I haven't tried that yet. Will just have to ring Google on Monday when the phones re-open and see if they'll exchange it. Doubtful, as it's over a year since I bought it.

Husker86

I tried sideloading 4.4.1, but got an error that "Launcher2.apk contains unexpected contents" - looking around it seems others have a similar error, but for completely random apks ranging from Gmail to Google Drive to QuickOffice. Mine appears to be the launcher, which isn't great.

I did find this post which says to flash system.img, but given the success rate of anything else I've tried flashing to the phone lately (zero) I haven't tried that yet. Will just have to ring Google on Monday when the phones re-open and see if they'll exchange it. Doubtful, as it's over a year since I bought it.
Oh, yeah. I have never sideloaded the update since if you have issues with the OTA then the sideloaded update will have the same issues.

I flash directly from the factory images which will overwrite anything that would cause issues. It's safe, and you can do it without losing your data with one small edit in notepad.

I wrote a how-to here if you're interested:
http://www.cultureoftech.com/2014/0...oid-nexus-device-without-waiting-for-the-ota/

Hardest part (for some computers) is just getting your computer to recognize your phone in adb.

Xeno_V

Listen mate, if you don't want to trust me sure. But there are three versions of this headset: the regular ATH-CKM500 which doesn't have a mic or button, the ATH-CKM500i which is made for iDevices and the 500iS which is made for Android devices.
If it didn't work for the people on Amazon, then something is wrong with their devices or they bought the wrong version.
They also have a scroll wheel to get around the volume button limitations.

Now I'm not telling you to buy them straight up, but I'm just saying, they work without any issues.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic or anything earlier, it's just that I wanted to wait for more suggestions before I make up my mind.

Groof

Rumors keep floating that the M8 may be the design the next Nexus phone is based off of. That would be amazing.

And the cycle continues. Every year there's a rumour going that says the next Nexus will be based off of every single flagship that's released. And every year 90% of them are wrong.

Talon

And the cycle continues. Every year there's a rumour going that says the next Nexus will be based off of every single flagship that's released. And every year 90% of them are wrong.
Well, 75% of them considering there are 4 relevant flagships each year.

Avixph

The M8 fits perfectly. Why do people have to resort to these worthless comments? Shame on you.
Because this is what Daante requested:

Any advice?

Ocho

Because this is what Daante requested:

He said he was willing to give 5 inch a try. Regarding the camera, it's fast (super fast, actually), photo quality is fine, and performs good in both light and dark conditions.

Yes, other phones have better camera, but that doesn't mean the device should be offhandedly dismissed.

The phone satisfies his other requests and is an appropriate candidate (speed, battery and, above all, looks). It's okay if he did his research and concluded the camera is not up to what he wants.

The M8 fits perfectly. Why do people have to resort to these worthless comments? Shame on you.
Isn't it the biggest 5" 2014 flagship?

He said he was willing to give 5 inch a try. Regarding the camera, it's fast (super fast, actually), photo quality is fine, and performs good in both light and dark conditions.

Yes, other phones have better camera, but that doesn't mean the device should be offhandedly ignored.

The phone satisfies his other requests and is an appropriate candidate (speed, battery and, above all, looks). It's okay if he did his research and concluded the camera is not up to what he wants.
Super fast camera compared to the GS5? And doesn't it also have the smallest battery capacity of the 2014 flagship?

Ocho

Isn't it the biggest 5" 2014 flagship?

Not sure. Probably not the widest.

Super fast camera compared to the GS5?

No, not compared to the S5. Why even ask this? You can see in video reviews how fast the pictures are taken.

And doesn't it also have the smallest battery capacity of the 2014 flagship?

Not sure, but battery life performance is great according to a couple of benchmark test I've seen. Lasts for the entire day. It outperforms phones with higher capacity.

I'm not saying he should get an HTC One, nor that it is the best in all his requests . I'm just saying that it met his specific requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom